Home > Forum > ELD 2020

ELD 2020

Apr 28, 2020 at 05:02 PM CST
+ 2

I see most of the post's on ELD's are 2018 or older. Thought there may be some fresh info.(new guy here) Can you buy the hardware used, like ebay and contact the company for the subscription to service it. Qualcomm specifically? Has any one ever gone this route?

Replied on Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 08:50 PM CST
I don't know anything about buying a used one, but why on earth would you wanna pay a subscription to use one? Get a unit that doesn't require a subscription if you need one.
Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:08 AM CST
Quote: "I don't know anything about buying a used one, but why on earth would you wanna pay a subscription to use one? Get a unit that doesn't require a subscription if you need one."

From what I've seen most of them have of some kinda monthly fee, I'm not a techie, I just figured it was for the service, such as GPS or what ever it takes to keep track of a truck. I'd rather not use an app on my phone, I'd like a unit by itself. Is garmin one without a montly fee? I kinda come from "you get what you pay for" are the no fee eld's working fine?

Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:10 AM CST
+ 1

I don't run one at all. What I do on line 1 is my business.

Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 02:57 PM CST
Quote: "From what I've seen most of them have of some kinda monthly fee, I'm not a techie, I just figured it was for the service, such as GPS or what ever it takes to keep track of a truck. I'd rather not use an app on my phone, I'd like a unit by itself. Is garmin one without a montly fee? I kinda come from "you get what you pay for" are the no fee eld's working fine?"

I'm definitely no techie either. I have friends running the Garmin unit, no subscription fee. They also run Garmin gps, so the gps and elog unit are linked. The GPS unit is utilized for its screen to change settings, duty status, etc. You can also link in a tablet if you'd prefer to have a larger screen and easier access. My friends with the Garmin units have been running them for a couple years now and have had no issues or complaints.

Cheapest I've seen the Garmin unit is Amazon for $176. Walmart website is $180. Truckstops etc $225 and up.

Replied on Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 09:02 AM CST

Try VDO ,this ELd has no monthly fee.

Replied on Fri, May 01, 2020 at 07:04 AM CST
Quote: "Try VDO ,this ELd has no monthly fee. "

According to Landline, VDO is going away. They are going to stop sales May 1st and stop supporting it on Aug 14th.

Replied on Fri, May 01, 2020 at 07:05 AM CST

I went to Big Road several months ago. 238$ for the year and they send you the Dashlink for your truck. You'll need a tablet or phone with the App on it . The tablet or phone has to have internet capability. I use a cellular connected tablet because I don't want to hand off my phone to anybody.