Home > Forum > Is A Western Star 5700 High Roof To Tall To Use A Hopper Bottom

Is a Western Star 5700 High Roof to Tall to use A Hopper Bottom

Apr 25, 2020 at 09:42 PM CST
+ 1

Hello and good day, I have a quick ? I drive for an owner op that ownes 2 Western Star 5700 high roof trucks (2019 and 2020 models) . He has years of grain hauling experience back in the 80's and early 90's with a mid roof but is worried that the trucks are to tall to get into the loading bays with hopper bottom trailers. If anyone has any advice on if they are too tall of a truck or if they will fit it would be very helpful. Thank You for your time and be safe out there.

Replied on Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 05:31 AM CST
+ 1

Eleven foot six inches has always been my magic number on height to run about every where????

Replied on Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM CST
+ 2

Have run T 600 Kenworth with wind deflector on top for years at 12' 6" with little to no problems. Have 387 Peterbilt that is at 13' 4". Just have to use your head and size up each situation as it comes up and do not do something that a receiver says is OK with you not felling good about it. Because, you hit something of their's. You pay for it.

Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:57 AM CST
Its no fun at some places i have a 13ft4in high hopper and I will never get 1 that high again. With a high rig you have a few issues that need thought out. a. Drivers that Have all their marbles B. Have respect for equipment C. Be ready to lose money by not being able to load or unload D. Have good insurance policy for when your truck fails a b c
Replied on Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:33 AM CST

We run with 82 inch sleepers, but with the Stratosphere High Roof, on our 5700's. Not the Ultra high roof. Although, now my nephew would have prefered the taller one since he and his buddy are running team. More head room for the top bunk, when its used. But, we don't haul bulk.

I have heard some elevators around here won't allow real tall equipment that can't fit into their facility doors.

Replied on Fri, May 01, 2020 at 08:56 AM CST
Ive got a midroof international and have still bent my stack on load outs and seen condo cab trucks have to back under silos because the truck wont fit.
Replied on Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 08:17 AM CST
Running a 5700 with a hopper cap on top sits 12’10” I have to back into some spots where others pull through but it doesn’t stop me from loading.