Home > Forum > THE USUAL FORUM (MUST READ)

THE USUAL FORUM (MUST READ)

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:57 PM CST
I can see that this is turning into the usual truck driving forum....complaints. Complaints about everything. Rates, brokers, shippers, fuel. Bottom line is this people, stop COMPLAINING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Stop talking a big game about sticking together and do it. Stop b***hing about cheap freight....just stop hauling it. If you don't like a law...call your congressman and try to change it. If you don't like brokers, stop using them. Go get the freight you want. Here is a great idea....real easy...real cheap...real results....JOIN OOIDA. I am a member. no I am not employed by them. I am an O/O like most that are on here. They work for us and keep us informed. But that is only a start. Run your company as it is...a business. Complaining and posting on here does nothing. Get off your butt and do something, anything. Just stop all the talking and take action. Bunch of cb rambos crying all the time. You want better rates then stick to your guns. Just don't turn this site into another complaint dept. IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR INDUSTRY...CHANGE IT.
Replied on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM CST
What are the costs to join OOIDA and what do the really do for owner operators? I know they lobby a lot in DC, but what have the changed for the every day owner operator?
Replied on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 08:24 PM CST
$45.00 a year. then a couple times a year they have early renewal of $25.00 for the year. As far as what they have done....lets see. In Illinois they got the truckers together and stopped the state from doubling the price of our base plates. They helped get the speed limits raised to be uniform for all vehicles...yes in case non of you have heard we can run 65mph now. They are against the eobr's that the fmcsa and government are pushing for. They are fighting for our log book rules to benefit us and get loading and unloading times down. They are the ones that have brought a lawsuit against I believe cr england for the lease operators because of the esgrow accounts that were miss handled. OOIDA's regulatory affairs fight for lease ops to have fair and legal leasing contracts. I could go on for you if you like or you can check out www.landlinemag.com. that is OOIDA's magazine that you get for free by being a member. Tons of up to date trucking info. They also do things like help truckers get grants for apu units to combat anti idle laws. Trust me its the best $45 a year you could spend. Also they help you get your authority if you so choose. They offer insurance. Truck buying programs. If you would like more info I will be sure to give you more. Just ask.
Replied on Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 08:26 PM CST
Oh yeah and everything they do in DC does affect the everyday owner op. We all are affacted by the DC outcomes.
Replied on Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 04:36 PM CST

I too am a member of Ooida. They also get you discounts on tires and other trucking related purchases.
Another originazation to look at is NASTC. They help all the little trucking companies buy like the big guys.
Their fuel discount is 10 -15 cents below the cash price. Google NASTC and check them out.
Replied on Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:27 AM CST
I don't need ooida to tell me how to operate!!!!! More cry baby, sissies to read about over there!!!!!! That's the places you'll find the rate cutter's at!!!!! Always trying to find a way to get in with someone who might be able to save their sorry asses from hard work and homework...... it aint gonna happen that way Buddy!!!!!!! I agree with you about the part where you said don't haul the cheap stuff!!!! I'll add this to it also, Don't go in debt up to your ears and expect trucking to dig you out!!!!! Use your head!!!! If you don't have enough money to park up for at least 6 months then you're not gonna make it anyway!!!!! You will be crying on eveybodies shoulder that will allow you to!!!