Home > Forum > RULES FOR TRUCK DISPATCHING

RULES FOR TRUCK DISPATCHING

Jul 07, 2010 at 07:48 AM CST
I have been on both sides when it comes to trucking and dispatching can be the most despised. Your drivers are always upset because the load info is wrong, the truck lines are too long, or something's always wrong with the truck. Oh, and I forgot, "THE LOAD ISN'T PAYING ENOUGH" or "I'M NOT MAKING ENOUGH". Your customers are upset because your truck was late, you had too little trucks or too many or you didn't make the delivery on time. In today's market customer satisfaction is priority and there is very little room for error. Sometimes you only have one chance and there's always someone next in line to take your role. However we all know in trucking there are so many unknown factors such as break downs, traffic, truck lines, and fuel costs. You can plan a day with one truck to haul three loads and before you know it 6 pm rolls around and you've only accomplished one load due to the unknowns.

So how do we prepare for the unknowns with our drivers and with our customers? Here are a few tips I've learned through the years:
1. Honesty, honesty, honesty. I can't say it enough. Your drivers and customers have to believe in you and know you're looking out for them. If your driver thinks they're getting the raw end of the deal, how do you think they are going to perform? I made a mistake years ago I'll never forget. Our truck was at their destination with a load and due to the weather they couldn't get into the building to unload. The driver called me to tell me they couldn't make the delivery. It was already late in the day and we were already behind. To my disgust I replied, "You're not trying hard enough to figure out a way!" From that moment on that driver and I never saw eye to eye and a few weeks later resigned and went to another company. This was due my poor judgment and irrational comment. I have since then learned tremendously from it.
Be honest with your customers. Yeah I know it's better to tell them a truck is on the way, but this short term solution can have a long term consequence. Who's going to believe you again once your customer finds out you didn't tell them the truth?
2. Build relationships with your drivers and you customers. Find out what your drivers expect from you. Some drivers are a little more independent and usually want to be on their own, while others want to be told load by load where they’re going and what's next. It can be irritating, but your role is to figure out how to accomplish the task with the people and equipment you have to the fullest. Your customers are the same way. Some want a daily report of what's going on with their deliveries while others don't want to bothered unless there's something wrong. Some customers now strictly prefer email, while others still phone. I even have some shippers that prefer a text message.
3. Be fair to all. We all have favorites...it almost happens innately. You have your preferred drivers and your preferred customers. Make sure you give a little good with the bad. I had a driver one time comment that they only get the bad loads because they knew nobody else would. This goes back to trust with your drivers. Same goes with you customers. We all love to cherry pick the easy best paying loads, but sometimes it shows so much more to help your customers out with more difficult and even sometime lower paying loads. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. And as much as you think your being taken advantage of it will pay off in the end. I had shippers call me first on loads before anyone else because they knew I was committed to them through the thick and through the thin.
I could ramble on, but this is what I think is most important being successful in a challenging industry. Again, I've behind the wheel, behind the desk and behind the phone and can attest to these roles. Besides being the dispatcher, your probably also the shop foreman, mechanic, secretary, payroll person, accounts recievable and accounts payable person as well.Dispatching Trucks

If you have comments or questions, I'd love to hear them.
Replied on Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:01 PM CST
Thank you. As a driver i understand and just want to second the honesty part
Replied on Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 08:51 AM CST

I have never thought of it that way, ya my drivers think I am not doing my part and I am the owner they say well your just sitting behind a desk talking on the phone and there is way more to it than that, that they don't understand.
Replied on Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 03:43 PM CST
Rates suck there wanting you to haul it for nothing
Replied on Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 03:51 PM CST
No the problem is that you're all wanting the same rates that were out there when fuel was $4/gallon.
Replied on Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 03:59 PM CST
amen
Replied on Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 04:27 PM CST

I need 3.50 a loaded mile or 90 bucks a hour min or my trucks are not leaving the lot
Replied on Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 04:34 PM CST

There not sitting in the lot. There all out making money