Home > Forum > WHAT SHOULD I PAY?

WHAT SHOULD I PAY?

Aug 02, 2010 at 04:16 PM CST

I am paying my guy 25% off the top pulling a hopper bottom, Is that resonable?
Replied on Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:12 PM CST

seems pretty high
Replied on Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:15 PM CST

What are you guys paying your drivers?
Replied on Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:27 PM CST

What do you consider the truck making good money? 3.50 a mile?
Replied on Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:29 PM CST
25% is good for the driver especially if he is good and takes care of equipment and is on time. Remember that driver is in your truck and if he is happy your loads and equipment will be kept up. If you try to drop his pay, that is showing him that you may not appreciate his service for you. 25% is not too high but it is at the top part of the pay scale. If you do drop it my opinion is to offer him a bonus for a job well done. my opinion only.
Replied on Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:36 PM CST

Like what kind of bonus
Replied on Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 07:32 AM CST
BASE BONUSES ON PERFORMANCE. FUEL SAVINGS ABOVE A CERTAIN LEVEL, BONUSES BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF PROFIT OF THE TRUCK AT THE END OF THE YEAR. BASED ON MAINTINENCE COSTS, IF HES TEARING UP YOUR TRUCK LOADING IT TOO HEAVY SCRUBBING TIRES NOT CHECKING TIRE PRESSURES AND BLOWING THEM OUT THEN HE DOESN'T DESERVE A BONUS
Replied on Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 11:10 PM CST
25% is what u pay him???????? thats a dam joke look at these rates a joke 25%???? wow dude thats a slap in the face i been with same guy 8 years 30% i get lucky i can make 1200 a week taxes taken out 9 summin no wonder these companys cant keep a driver gotta pay them summin!!!!!!!!
Replied on Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 01:33 AM CST
Quote: "BASE BONUSES ON PERFORMANCE. FUEL SAVINGS ABOVE A CERTAIN LEVEL, BONUSES BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF PROFIT OF THE TRUCK AT THE END OF THE YEAR. BASED ON MAINTINENCE COSTS, IF HES TEARING UP YOUR TRUCK LOADING IT TOO HEAVY SCRUBBING TIRES NOT CHECKING TIRE PRESSURES AND BLOWING THEM OUT THEN HE DOESN'T DESERVE A BONUS"

25% of nothing is styill nothing. When drivers finally figure this out it will get better. .35 a mile for every mile driven then you will get some interest.
Replied on Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 03:38 PM CST
Quote: " What do you consider the truck making good money? 3.50 a mile?"

It cost .72 cents per mile to own, and insure, and tag, and tax a truck and trailer. It cost .55 to .60 cents per mile for fuel...... .72 + .60 = $1.32 per mile to operate.... Go figure!!! Now you will have people figure without equipment replacement and you'll see them in the shop with a wornout truck and trailer telling people they aren't making any money.... downtime kills.... maintenance kills.... and good drivers won't drive junk for too long.... You need between $1.80 and $2.25 per mile in order to hire drivers and actually pay workmens comp, employee taxes, and etc.. 25% is really good if your employer knows what it really takes to make it as an employer today. Surprisingly banks will loan money to people that don't even know what it actually cost to own and operate equipment. And some of them even venture into having drivers run their equipment for them. Usually the driver does everything and the owner appears to be smart until the bitter end!!!
Replied on Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 09:25 AM CST

Are you sure on your figureing

Replied on Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 03:21 PM CST
I absolutely agree! Evidently the drivers dont research the companies before signing on either. A reputable co, will keep thare people running for a reputable rate and have many of there own hauls only useing brokers fo filling in the gaps.
Replied on Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 05:38 PM CST
u all forgot about home time? what if driver stays out 2-3 weeks? and u gonna pay him 25%? still a joke pay your driver summin and let him choose his home time will work lots better than just hey u get 25% your out 2-3 weeks lol like i said before this is why u see lots of companys looking for drivers. lack of pay and home time u cant pay a driver then dont hire or buy a truck simple as that