Home > Forum > TIMPTE OR CORNHUSKER

TIMPTE OR CORNHUSKER

Sep 01, 2010 at 05:15 PM CST

I am looking at buying two brand new trailers? I have timpte's now but I kinda like the cornhusker.

Whats your guys and gals preferance?
Replied on Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 06:01 PM CST
I believe timptes are better built and last longer but I have liked the cornhuskers they are lighter and if you don't do alot of farm loads would probably last fine mine cracked out and hoppers and on sides but I do my share of ruff roads hope this helps
Replied on Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 06:10 PM CST

Yes it does. We do alot of farm hauling which requires gravel roads, I am leaning towards the Timpte but I just wanted to see what people had to say about the cornhusker.

Thanks again

Zach
Replied on Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 10:01 PM CST
I have a buddy that has a cornhusker ultalight, and let me tell you he hauls big loads. he has had it 6 years and never cracked or broken and never been welded on. I too am looking into new trailers and I think I would go with the husker for weight. You will save about 1000 to 1600 lbs depending on setup. But either way you go I dont think will be wrong.
Replied on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 06:15 AM CST
I just bought a new Timpte, 43'X78" sideX96" wide. It has the aluminum kingpin and aluminum subframe with Michelin X One wide base tires. Dropped on the local elevator scale it weighed 8300 pounds exactly. No Cornhuskers for me. Ribbed sides=no fuel economy=no thanks! Had a Cornhusker, never again.
Replied on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 07:30 AM CST

Thank you guys im going to stay with timpte
Replied on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 07:41 AM CST
Tempte's are also great for places that have certain heigh restrictions. You can pull the pin and slide the bows to the side.
Replied on Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 11:11 AM CST

Ya I had not thought about that
Replied on Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 07:57 AM CST
Quote: "I just bought a new Timpte, 43'X78" sideX96" wide. It has the aluminum kingpin and aluminum subframe with Michelin X One wide base tires. Dropped on the local elevator scale it weighed 8300 pounds exactly. No Cornhuskers for me. Ribbed sides=no fuel economy=no thanks! Had a Cornhusker, never again."

You can buy a cornhusker with flat sides and supper singles and probally beat that weight your timpte had. Dont get me wrong thats a good weight , like is said i like them both just want you to know you can buy cornhuskers anyway you want them.
Replied on Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 01:41 PM CST

Thanks
Replied on Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 07:58 PM CST
Quote: "You can buy a cornhusker with flat sides and supper singles and probally beat that weight your timpte had. Dont get me wrong thats a good weight , like is said i like them both just want you to know you can buy cornhuskers anyway you want them."

"You can buy a cornhusker with flat sides and supper singles and probally beat that weight your timpte had. Dont get me wrong thats a good weight , like is said i like them both just want you to know you can buy cornhuskers anyway you want them."

Indeed you can, however when you add the exterior skin to the Cornhusker, you end up with an additional 360# added to their empty weight.That was per Karl Sorensen, Cornhuskers plant manager and trailer designer. My 2003 Cornhusker weighed 8520# . Add the 360# to that plus the additional $2500 dollars I was quoted as it costing and I'll pass. To each his own, but I'm not willing to pay more to own a Cornhusker that is heavier. Trust me, I've done my homework on this subject. Apples to apples, the Cornhusker was qouted to me at over $5000 more dollars than my Timpte. Maybe you can get a better deal, but I couldn't and won't.
Replied on Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:35 PM CST
I currently pull a 2010 Timpte 40X96X72 with the aluminum king pin and subframe. It also has the light weight hubs and drums on it with 8 aluminumin rims. That trailer is weighting in right at 8000 lbs. It is the second one I have owned brand new and am currently waiting on my 2011 trailer to get here within the next couple of weeks spec the exact same for my 2nd truck. I have not had any problems with the aluminum king pin or sub frame. Timpte has really done there research on these trailers and build a great durable, dependable trailer.
Replied on Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 07:04 PM CST
102" wide Timpte, wider doors, even cottonseed flows better, I've seen merritts, wilsons, cornhuskers having trouble unloading DDG.....
Replied on Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:43 AM CST
Timpte does build light weight models as low as 7,400 pounds.

PerryR
Replied on Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 03:44 PM CST
I have seen an actual scale ticket of a 40' Cornhusker tandem axle with 72" sides, on mini air ride with a weight of 6900 lbs. That's a hard weight to beat.
Replied on Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 03:51 PM CST
I have talked to people who have compared Cornhusker trailers with smooth sides skins and identical spec's. They tell me that there is no difference in fuel milage between a trailer with side skins or stake sides.. Once the tractor splits the air it doesn't have a chance to catch the side posts on the trailer.
Replied on Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 03:58 PM CST
Cornhusker and Timpte essentially have the same 3 year warranty.