Home > Forum > TQL

TQL

Dec 08, 2016 at 10:10 AM CST
+ 23 - 3
Does a person haul for this company or is it best to stay away.
Replied on Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 11:40 AM CST
+ 1 - 1
i booked something with them not the best thing to do they don't understand trucks sometimes doesn't get mty as planned i would try someone other then them to get a load
Replied on Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 06:27 PM CST
+ 12
Run fast and far from TQL. When you have some free time do a google search on them and begin reading a few of the 100,000+ horror stories. Ive had the mispleasure of dealing with them on the phone a time or two. I'd rather pull my teeth with a pair of pliers than get tied up with TQL.
Replied on Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 09:36 AM CST
+ 6 - 8
Anyone who would like more information about the company I will be more than happy to help. I've been here for a while and although there are a few bad apples in every large company, TQL does value the carrier relationships a great deal. I have made some pretty awesome friendships with carriers during my time here. Some I speak with on a daily basis and help them whenever and wherever they are. This industry can be brutal and sometimes things don't work as planned but overall we are here to work with you and be an asset.
Replied on Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 12:15 PM CST
+ 9
Quote: "Anyone who would like more information about the company I will be more than happy to help. I've been here for a while and although there are a few bad apples in every large company, TQL does value the carrier relationships a great deal. I have made some pretty awesome friendships with carriers during my time here. Some I speak with on a daily basis and help them whenever and wherever they are. This industry can be brutal and sometimes things don't work as planned but overall we are here to work with you and be an asset."

I get $4.66@mile from my shipper,why would I need a 3rd party brokerage firm like TQL?
Replied on Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 12:49 PM CST

Hi Joe,

Are you running long distance or local for them mostly? That is a great arrangement that you have setup regardless. I can't promise $4.50 a mile on all of my loads but we absolutely try to make sure we quote appropriately to ensure we stay competitive with the market.

Replied on Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 08:41 AM CST
+ 2 - 3
Hi Justin! I am also with TQL in Denver! And I wanted to address this topic. Like any company - there are good employees and bad employees. You have to work with the individuals that treat each with respect and provide good customer service. There was a dispatcher this week that booked a load with me and just never told me that the driver didn't have the right equipment. I told him multiple times what the requirements were and he said "yes we are good". I called the driver in the evening to see how it went and he said "I never picked up that load".

When you work with me, you are respected and treated fairly. I don't make big money here, I get a fair rate for the work I do. I have multiple owner ops and multiple smaller companies that continous work with me. As for money to the drivers, if you go direct to the shipper -- well yea, you are going to get more - there's no broker margin. But everything I quote, I have to be competitive with other brokers and trucking companies. I do my best to keep the customer and driver happy. If there's any concerns, reach out to me.
Replied on Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 09:26 AM CST
+ 4 - 1
I have worked many brokers and TQL is the worst of the worst. They make CH Robinson look respectable!
Replied on Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 09:28 AM CST
+ 2 - 1
Run for the hills,, TQL will put the screws to you every load they have has some major issue that isnt disclosed.
Replied on Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 09:55 AM CST
+ 2 - 2
Sorry you feel this way. I looked in your old loads and I'm not quite sure what happened to make you upset.
Replied on Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:28 PM CST
+ 2 - 1
Quote: " Hi Joe, Are you running long distance or local for them mostly? That is a great arrangement that you have setup regardless. I can't promise $4.50 a mile on all of my loads but we absolutely try to make sure we quote appropriately to ensure we stay competitive with the market. "

Long haul,but I sell service...Reliable,courteous&professional service that none seem to match...35 years of experience,so again I ask respectively, why would I need a broker?..I'm familiar with your firm's entry level positions as far as"acquiring"new customers,but you are young kids enetering a tough market....Start out in retail,just saying.
Replied on Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:43 PM CST
+ 4
Each time I talk to TQL about a load it is so very cheap it is below the cost of running a truck,,, and they don't care
Replied on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 08:44 AM CST
I have a question about TQL. I was told about 3 months ago that they were sold, if this is true who bought them does anyone know
Replied on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 04:06 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
No, Still same ownership. He is a great leader for our company. He visits the offices at least once a year, he still will work in different roles such as afterhours and speaks with drivers and see what their concerns are. We are constantly evolving and learning how to do things better.
Replied on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 04:15 PM CST
+ 4 - 4
Everybody has different costs for running trucks. My father's truck and trailer are paid off vs someone who has 2016 tractor and trailer has a massive expense amount. You have to know your bottom line. And honestly, right now clients don't pay us much either because the competition is so huge. I have had other brokerages under cut my rate and for me to keep running my business i had to lower it. I want to pay you guys more but when i can't, i can't.
Replied on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 06:54 PM CST
+ 4
IF you are driving a older truck and are not put money aside for when it is time to buy new, then the clock is ticking for when you are broke
Replied on Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 10:34 PM CST
+ 7
Katherine no one on planet dislikes TQL more than myself. Your company is and continues to be the scourge of the industry. You admit that it doesn't matter the rate just book the load because you are going to get your peice no matter what goes to the truck. If you are truly good at this job go to work for an honest brokerage. I can assure you that there are more than one or two bad apples there.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 07:13 AM CST
+ 5
RE: "Everybody has different costs for running trucks.......truck and trailer are paid off vs someone who has 2016 tractor and trailer has a massive expense amount."

Argh! I hear that think all the time, drives me nuts.
I don't charge less because I have low overhead- I put more in the bank for me at fair rates. Business 101. But more importantly- "your rate is way too low, and I'm in no hurry to move- have a nice day".
Replied on Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 07:59 AM CST
+ 1 - 6
I'm a broker there as well, you guys know the market and know the game of chasing these damn customers. My dad drives trucks and his is paid off and he has a contract with a corporate company to move corporate leaders of leading companies he's white glove always roles with a team but he didnt always have that he worked for LandStar, great company if you ask me, so move with them if your looking for great loads at a great price, but most of you cant bc you dont do your books right so your left to call out on loads and get them from us. You have to know your bottom line and what it will cost to move your truck if its not worth moving then dont take the load, call one of these other brokers... but guaranteed no one puts in as much work as we do to gain these customers business like we do... sometimes we call people 8 times a day for weeks straight to win there business for you to have something to pick up. If you spent as much time on the phone trying to win business as we did your truck would sit more then it was moving. What you should do is stop thinking negative and get with these brokers to open up your own business and be your own broker, but see that to much like right! keeping on trucking...no time for complainers!
Replied on Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM CST
+ 5
Quote: "RE: "Everybody has different costs for running trucks.......truck and trailer are paid off vs someone who has 2016 tractor and trailer has a massive expense amount."Argh! I hear that think all the time, drives me nuts.I don't charge less because I have low overhead- I put more in the bank for me at fair rates. Business 101. But more importantly- "your rate is way too low, and I'm in no hurry to move- have a nice day"."

Hahahahahahahhahahahaha...you and Art hit it right on the nail..if you cant figure that out.. you wont be in trucking for very long... reminds me of a story i heard many years ago...told by my first boss.. sorry Italians but my boss was italian so the story is told..
These two italian brothers bought a truck.. bought hay in Bakersfield Ca for 50 bucks a ton.. hauled it to Los Angeles and sold it for 50 bucks a ton..did that for a couple of months..and figured out they werent making any money.. So they bought another truck..
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 07:33 AM CST
Quote: "Hahahahahahahhahahahaha...you and Art hit it right on the nail..if you cant figure that out.. you wont be in trucking for very long... reminds me of a story i heard many years ago...told by my first boss.. sorry Italians but my boss was italian so the story is told.. These two italian brothers bought a truck.. bought hay in Bakersfield Ca for 50 bucks a ton.. hauled it to Los Angeles and sold it for 50 bucks a ton..did that for a couple of months..and figured out they werent making any money.. So they bought another truck.. "

You couldnt have posted this at a better time. I need to use this for something I have going on........
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 07:51 AM CST
+ 2
Quote: "Everybody has different costs for running trucks. My father's truck and trailer are paid off vs someone who has 2016 tractor and trailer has a massive expense amount. You have to know your bottom line. And honestly, right now clients don't pay us much either because the competition is so huge. I have had other brokerages under cut my rate and for me to keep running my business i had to lower it. I want to pay you guys more but when i can't, i can't. "

TQL Lowballed some sand the other day in South Texas and advertised it on here.... Only one small problem with the load. The 300 yards of Farm to Market road you have to travel on to get in the front (and only) gate to plant is load restricted. $270 permit and a $15k bond with Texas to travel that road. Do you think any consideratiuon is given for that expense? Nope, "thats the cost of doing business." Prime example of the hours and hours they put into helping us out and knowing the bottom line...............

Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 08:33 AM CST
+ 2
So I been reading this and keep shaking my head and I finally have to comment on this , I have been involed in the dry bulk business for 30 years now, always in end dump business in particular, its been my bread and butter for that whole time, after time you know the market, the good and the bad, its called expierence and common sense. From what i have seen in any business, you stick a particular piece of business and you learn it and be good at it.. TQL is probably good at general freight.. ie.. vans, flats, reefers.. not specialized loads and equipment, you have to know the business before you can do the business..I have seen way to many of these brokers try to dab into something specialized and think its normal freight that they can move at a reduced rate , guess what, if it could be, it would of been done ! A good example , I had TQL rep call me a year ago offering a load . ( and it was a customer we had did business with for years), he had no idea what the material was or even the ins and outs of the movement. ( how they load it, unloading procedures, etc...) and was offering it at almost half our rate, when i explained it to him of everything involved in the movement, his comment was, do you want the load or not ? wow...

I'm not againt people earning a living and trying to better themselves but when you dont know what the hell you are doing, DONT mess with it !!
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 08:35 AM CST
Well instead of getting mad and hanging up, discuss why your rate is what it is, if its a difficult lane for us to cover we could ask for more money from the customer. I had a lane that I thought was easy but know one called in and when i called out the answer was what lane, oh no i dont go there. I had no idea why bc no one said anything. Funny thing was it was a narrow road and needed a 48 foot trailer instead of 53 bc of lane restrictions. Easy thing to fix but a close mouth doesnt get fed... sometimes you guys shot yourself in the foot. its a 2 way street, we arent going anywhere so we have to work with yall and vice versa... we need to come together and get this $$$. you guys still bring home way more, my dad paid my tution and alll the bills in the house once my mom was laid off with no issue. may have slept in the truck alittle often on the road but Truckers make bread when your banking it.
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 09:39 AM CST
+ 6
TQL is a typical broker! Don't care if the truck makes money as long as they get their piece! We had customers in ND that we hauled for on a regular basis for good money and gave VERY good service, TQL called for rates out of a town not to far from where we were hauling from but turned out to be the loads we were doing. They took our bid, cut it by a substancial amount and then wanted us to haul it through them! If the phone rings and it is them I will answer the phone (because I am not rude) but I will not listen nor have I hauled a load for them. My advise to everyone is when this company calls do not give out rates or even listen to a thing they have to say! That's just my view!

To all of you TQL brokers, get a life and a clue! Maybe go back to school to learn some more new math or how to operate a calculator!
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:46 AM CST
Without gutter-rate logistics providers I'd be spending more time dealing with gutter-rate shippers, so they are really doing me a favor thinning the herd.

I just talked to a local shipper last week that gave some loads to a broker that cold called for like $1/mi- "If some moron(s) takes them, great! If not, no biggie- we don't need to move the stuff right now." We laughed.
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:56 AM CST
+ 2
Against my desires one of my owner operators decided to book a load with TQL. It paid well because they were in a bind. Ok, so their office called me and asked if they were off of my no-call list. I told them they could call the owner operator all they liked, but to refrain from calling me. I see their phone number calling at least twice a week and refuse to answer. I will not be giving them any numbers to bid shop with, I personally do not plan on hauling another load for them. This does not mean that my owner operator will not haul a load for them. They have good agents as well as bad. I have just ran into more bad than good with them. To each his own, there has been enough said about the issue here and in other places as well.
Replied on Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 06:31 PM CST
Quote: "I'm a broker there as well, you guys know the market and know the game of chasing these damn customers. My dad drives trucks and his is paid off and he has a contract with a corporate company to move corporate leaders of leading companies he's white glove always roles with a team but he didnt always have that he worked for LandStar, great company if you ask me, so move with them if your looking for great loads at a great price, but most of you cant bc you dont do your books right so your left to call out on loads and get them from us. You have to know your bottom line and what it will cost to move your truck if its not worth moving then dont take the load, call one of these other brokers... but guaranteed no one puts in as much work as we do to gain these customers business like we do... sometimes we call people 8 times a day for weeks straight to win there business for you to have something to pick up. If you spent as much time on the phone trying to win business as we did your truck would sit more then it was moving. What you should do is stop thinking negative and get with these brokers to open up your own business and be your own broker, but see that to much like right! keeping on trucking...no time for complainers!"

Jasmine sounds like a bad ass
Replied on Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 06:21 AM CST
+ 3 - 1
Quote: "Well instead of getting mad and hanging up, discuss why your rate is what it is, if its a difficult lane for us to cover we could ask for more money from the customer. I had a lane that I thought was easy but know one called in and when i called out the answer was what lane, oh no i dont go there. I had no idea why bc no one said anything. Funny thing was it was a narrow road and needed a 48 foot trailer instead of 53 bc of lane restrictions. Easy thing to fix but a close mouth doesnt get fed... sometimes you guys shot yourself in the foot. its a 2 way street, we arent going anywhere so we have to work with yall and vice versa... we need to come together and get this $$$. you guys still bring home way more, my dad paid my tution and alll the bills in the house once my mom was laid off with no issue. may have slept in the truck alittle often on the road but Truckers make bread when your banking it."

That's where you are wrong jasmine. NO I DON'T HAVE TO WORK WITH YOUR CHEAP GARBAGE COMPANY! I don't plan on going anywhere either and I'll guarantee I'll be driving longer than you will be a tql agent. I would like to see your company's turnover rate, it seems there's a new clown that shows up on here from the tql circus every couple weeks.- And I'm not buying "incredible growth or expansion"
Replied on Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 06:56 AM CST
+ 1 - 8
Cry me a river... Don't take the load then. But we aren't 2nd to CH Robinson for nothing bro, check those stats. Guys be safe on the road, I'm done with this thread you truckers can talk someones head off. This thread has turned into a damn blanket!
Replied on Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM CST
+ 4
Good Riddance!
Replied on Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM CST
Quote: "That's where you are wrong jasmine. NO I DON'T HAVE TO WORK WITH YOUR CHEAP GARBAGE COMPANY! I don't plan on going anywhere either and I'll guarantee I'll be driving longer than you will be a tql agent. I would like to see your company's turnover rate, it seems there's a new clown that shows up on here from the tql circus every couple weeks.- And I'm not buying "incredible growth or expansion""

Couldn't agree more!...As I said,a relative asked me about TQL because his son was graduating&was offered an entry level position"stealing"freight....After a few weeks he called and said they were the absolute worst.....Just saying.
Replied on Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:07 AM CST
+ 3
Guys the thing about TQL and other "pure brokers" is that they are of the millenial age. The guys out here that have been in this business for many years and have survived all these "fly by night" agencies who see a quick buck have integrity and morals. If I were to work with a broker, another company or owner operator who needed help and offered me a good rate, I would NOT go around his back to try and get the freight direct! I would nurture the relationship with the companies that we work with, offer good service and keep on doing what we do on a daily basis. These days it seems that RESPECT, INTEGRITY and HONESTY have been replaced by GREED, STUPIDITY and LACK OF MORALS! I am disgusted with the state of this business and the path we are headed down! We are not in this business for our health, we are here to make a living but some companies are making it hard to do that! To all TQL representitives, I hope you can have the opportunity one day to work with an OLD SCHOOL company, you will find that it's more like a family than a job!
Replied on Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 02:11 PM CST
+ 3
I've been contacted by a few of these types of agencies before and they were interesting conversations. Their primary criteria is "We want someone with a little experience, but not a lot so we don't have to break a bunch of bad habits" ... in other words they want someone young enough who can use technology quickly BUT doesn't know any better.

Everyone has to start somewhere. It doesn't mean they have to stay there.
Replied on Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:18 PM CST
Quote: "Cry me a river... Don't take the load then. But we aren't 2nd to CH Robinson for nothing bro, check those stats. Guys be safe on the road, I'm done with this thread you truckers can talk someones head off. This thread has turned into a damn blanket!"

Freaking Jealous Jasmine Hillbilly truck drivers, I've just got back into the game because I've been running 4 other businesses. I never once had a problem with TQL and been treated with the utmost respect.... Screw them I say!!
Replied on Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 07:20 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "So I been reading this and keep shaking my head and I finally have to comment on this , I have been involed in the dry bulk business for 30 years now, always in end dump business in particular, its been my bread and butter for that whole time, after time you know the market, the good and the bad, its called expierence and common sense. From what i have seen in any business, you stick a particular piece of business and you learn it and be good at it.. TQL is probably good at general freight.. ie.. vans, flats, reefers.. not specialized loads and equipment, you have to know the business before you can do the business..I have seen way to many of these brokers try to dab into something specialized and think its normal freight that they can move at a reduced rate , guess what, if it could be, it would of been done ! A good example , I had TQL rep call me a year ago offering a load . ( and it was a customer we had did business with for years), he had no idea what the material was or even the ins and outs of the movement. ( how they load it, unloading procedures, etc...) and was offering it at almost half our rate, when i explained it to him of everything involved in the movement, his comment was, do you want the load or not ? wow... I'm not againt people earning a living and trying to better themselves but when you dont know what the hell you are doing, DONT mess with it !! "

This is exactly right! You've hit the nail on the head.
Replied on Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 08:05 AM CST
+ 6
When it comes down to it TQL or any other broker that operates in their fashion is not really the problem. They are just business folks out there making a profit. That is the name of business, they get it. While I may believe that they often times take too much of the cut, or they bid things entirely too low. If truckers continue to pull loads for them they will continue to thrive. I have stated many times that the shippers are in the drivers seat not the brokers and truckers. Most Mega brokers do not really try nor do they care what the truck makes at the end of the day. They only care about making that buck.

To blame this mindset on the millenials is really absurd. This mindset was inheireted from us GenX and Baby Boomers, we are the ones that started the whole roll of the greed monster with a helpful push from Corporate America. Look around you folks, we all want our products cheaper instead of wanting the best quality. In effect wages will never return for the working man as long as the working man continues to want cheaper vs better.

You can't generally get both: Cheap will not equal better. Better will not generally be cheap. You get what you pay for.

It comes down to this it is fine to pull a load for anybody as long as they meet this critiera:

1. Does the company that is offering the load actually pay their bills?
2: Does the load pay what you need to pay and still make an acceptable profit margin?
3. Does the load suit your needs?
4. Does the company that is offering the load actually act honorably in the information that they give you?
5. Do all parties involved benefit from an ongoing relationship with one another?

If it meets those basics then it does not matter who you are working with.

Truckers quit whining about TQL or others, just state the facts about your experiences with them. TQL and I may not choose to work with one another on a consistent basis, but if we do work together we show respect to one another when their load is on the back of my owner operator's truck. I treat them no different then anybody else at that moment regardless of my personal opinion of them. At that moment in time they are a paying customer that does indeed pay their bills.

I neither endorse nor support TQL or Mega's by and large. I prefer to work with smaller shippers and smaller brokers, but as long as they are a resource and they pay their bills, and meet our critiera we sill not discriminate, money only has one obligation to us, to make us a resonable profit.
Replied on Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:48 PM CST
Quote: "Anyone who would like more information about the company I will be more than happy to help. I've been here for a while and although there are a few bad apples in every large company, TQL does value the carrier relationships a great deal. I have made some pretty awesome friendships with carriers during my time here. Some I speak with on a daily basis and help them whenever and wherever they are. This industry can be brutal and sometimes things don't work as planned but overall we are here to work with you and be an asset."

I have worked with them in the pass... Good experience for the most part but it sure seems like they don't trust anyone... They are calling non stop wondering where truck is and I call it a pain in my a**.... I make them pay for there inconvenience of them calling taking up my time and drivers time....
Replied on Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 11:09 PM CST
Anytime you book a load with a low life like TQL your taking that load from an honest brokerage. No different than hauling cheap loads. The industry won't improve unless we make it.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 07:12 AM CST
Quote: "Anytime you book a load with a low life like TQL your taking that load from an honest brokerage. No different than hauling cheap loads. The industry won't improve unless we make it. Art Pfluger"

Very well said
Replied on Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 05:23 AM CST
+ 1
Jerry you have been quite. So good to hear from you. I'll admit to a more than a few problems with age and a loss of people that I can debate with. The only way this could be better is if Dale Schutt would post.
Jerry they keep changing the rules faster than I'm getting old. If I sell out I can't retire. If I stay in I can't make money or stomach the rules. What to do ?
Im a foolish old man caught in unforseen situations.
The people/ brokers that are calling the shots are crazy. I'm a square peg in a round hole. I really just wanted a few more years then fade away.
It's easy to fade away, hard to play in today's sandbox, especially without calling the new players out.
Wish you and others of our vintage well.

Art Pfluger

Replied on Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 05:24 AM CST
Quote: "Sorry you feel this way. I looked in your old loads and I'm not quite sure what happened to make you upset."

Well you better look back to 4/22/2016 when Aron Beckett stiffed me on a load that had over 20 hours of standby.
Replied on Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 07:43 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Well you better look back to 4/22/2016 when Aron Beckett stiffed me on a load that had over 20 hours of standby."

Maybe TQL should get into water hauling. Worked for Swift didn’t it?
Replied on Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 07:44 AM CST
Quote: "Long haul,but I sell service...Reliable,courteous&professional service that none seem to match...35 years of experience,so again I ask respectively, why would I need a broker?..I'm familiar with your firm's entry level positions as far as"acquiring"new customers,but you are young kids enetering a tough market....Start out in retail,just saying."

How do you get home?
Replied on Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 09:01 PM CST
TQL, CHRobinkid, Coyote, pick your favorite
in Dry Van they make you run 1.00 mile sometimes .80cents a mile. Dont trust me ? Just call them ??
I hope they don't try ;do Business in Bulk industry

Replied on Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 01:13 PM CST
+ 1
We do loads for them from time to time. You have to be careful if the load confirmation matches what they tell you on the phone. We had some bad loads but also some very good loads with them.
Replied on Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 06:30 PM CST
Quote: "TQL, CHRobinkid, Coyote, pick your favoritein Dry Van they make you run 1.00 mile sometimes .80cents a mile. Dont trust me ? Just call them ??I hope they don't try ;do Business in Bulk industry "

I second this message. These brokers are a bunch of bottom feeders
Replied on Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 07:39 AM CST
+ 4
Stay away. They are always calling and asking to double broker your loads. I will never let them broker one of my loads.
Replied on Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:51 PM CST

Ive ran several hotshot loads for them and everything went good. Even got them to pay for the tolls on the route. Takes them a while to pay but if you factor the load you will be ok.

Replied on Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 07:02 AM CST

Run forresy Run

Replied on Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 09:11 AM CST
I am pulling a reefer. They constantly call at all hours of the day or night even when you use their macropoint. I think I have about a quarter of their numbers blocked, because if one is blocked, they'll call from another number.
Replied on Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM CST
Quote: "I am pulling a reefer. They constantly call at all hours of the day or night even when you use their macropoint. I think I have about a quarter of their numbers blocked, because if one is blocked, they'll call from another number."

I work for TQL and have been in the logistics business for a while. You have to understand that we call you for updates when the customer calls us for updates. Sometimes with macropoint the driver will turn of their phone or the location services once the load is booked. Please understand that we are not just calling to be calling. I have built up a list of regulars that I work with on a daily basis and I for the most part dont check call them at all because we have built that relationship as broker to carrier. We have to make sure that the customers needs are met.

Replied on Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 08:13 AM CST
+ 1
I think he was getting at the fact that we get two calls a week from your sales people asking if we re broker loads. I have told TQL agents that we do not on well over 50 different occasions over the years. It is borderline harrassment. Your people call now and go straight to a never ending hold.
Replied on Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 12:27 PM CST
I have to say there were a whole lot of bottom feeders who were insulted being put into the same category as TQL,I have had many dealings with TQL, in the past with a previous carrier I worked for,the constant check calls at all hours,the amount of money they cut out of the rate,etc.is insane,case in point I hauled a load from Ca. to portland Or.,had a new agent I worked with,hed originally quoted me a rate when I called him back he forgot he had spoke with me and quoted it at $500 more than originally quoted.
That seems like an awfully large spread,but it shows you how much they siphon off a rate when they give it to you.Do you really want to work with a company like that?
Replied on Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 01:22 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Well instead of getting mad and hanging up, discuss why your rate is what it is, if its a difficult lane for us to cover we could ask for more money from the customer. I had a lane that I thought was easy but know one called in and when i called out the answer was what lane, oh no i dont go there. I had no idea why bc no one said anything. Funny thing was it was a narrow road and needed a 48 foot trailer instead of 53 bc of lane restrictions. Easy thing to fix but a close mouth doesnt get fed... sometimes you guys shot yourself in the foot. its a 2 way street, we arent going anywhere so we have to work with yall and vice versa... we need to come together and get this $$$. you guys still bring home way more, my dad paid my tution and alll the bills in the house once my mom was laid off with no issue. may have slept in the truck alittle often on the road but Truckers make bread when your banking it."

Why would we want to discuss rates with you and do your job for you? If you DO NOT know the cost of running a truck then you can not bid a job with a rate that will work for the carrier!

I personally have had TQL agents call me for a rate in my back yard, cut that rate and then ask if we would haul for cheaper! Are you on GLUE? I was then told "we need to get our foot in the door"! The only way you can get your foot in the door is if you get your head out of your butt to see the door! I have no love lost for TQL! Pretty much every agent and as well as their quality team, when I have spoken with them, I have felt I lost IQ points and more than anything lost time in my life I will NEVER get back!

My advice is DO NOT work with them!
Replied on Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 07:52 AM CST
Maybe instead of asking the customer for more money y?all should take less and give it to the person that actually works for it!
Replied on Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 07:52 AM CST
Only thing you can?t do is live forever! The fact is your boss won?t!
Replied on Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 10:51 AM CST
STAY AWAY! We deadheaded 200 miles for a heavy oversized load onsite for 5 hours and cancelled the load on us. Tried to pay us $150 for TONU. These jokers have no clue what it takes financially to run a trucking business. We still haven’t seen a dime from them.
Replied on Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 10:52 AM CST
I agree. A buddy of mine has booked loads with TQL a few times and they cancelled the loads on him just because they found someone else to do it cheaper. Maybe there needs to be something that brokers have to pay a minimum fee for cancelled loads after you already have received there confirmation sheet. I personally will never book a load with them because of how I hear they do business.
Replied on Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:45 AM CST

Quite possible the worst broker in the industry I've been avoiding them for years now , I'd say run and don't look back.

Replied on Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:45 AM CST
Lady you need to understand you work for the lowest company there is. You TQL idiots get on here with out having a clue as to the bulk business or what you're talking about. Anyone that loads for TQL gets what they deserve. Never on my truck

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:03 AM CST
+ 2
Funny how when the market tumbles, everybody gripes and complains about good old TQHell. In reality it is the inability for most truckers to understand what their value is. The culling of the herd is in full force and we will continue to see a tumble until about September.

The Fed is messing with Bonds.
The trade war with China is in full effect.
Too many people went out and thought they were going to become stupertrucker and make all kinds of big bucks.
The shippers are pushing the rates back after last years ELD mandate fiasco in preparation for this upcoming December.
The President and Congress continue to bicker much like the truckers and can not work together willingly.

TQHell and others will continue to take, take, take and the money they will make, make, make.

Good luck to all that tighten the belt and survive.
Replied on Thu, May 09, 2019 at 04:14 PM CST
Quote: "I get $4.66@mile from my shipper,why would I need a 3rd party brokerage firm like TQL?"

Does shipper need more capacity? I am an owner OP and run team with my wife. Remember, if your shipper grows so does their capacity and probably your rate!!

Replied on Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 07:59 PM CST

If you ever wonder what happened to trucking rates you can thank TQL and CH Robinson for that. The move city by city and call every damn business they can and undercut the price. Once they have quoted enough shippers there are no fair paying loads in the area. Just TQL 1.50 a mile bs. They have no concern about drivers or shippers they are just there to make their percentage. I have a few customers who call me everytime TQL can't deliver on the absurd rates they "promised". Nothing like taking a load from Total Trash Logistics.

Replied on Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 08:03 AM CST
Quote: "Cry me a river... Don't take the load then. But we aren't 2nd to CH Robinson for nothing bro, check those stats. Guys be safe on the road, I'm done with this thread you truckers can talk someones head off. This thread has turned into a damn blanket!"

Being second to CHR isn't something to be proud of from everything I've ever heard, it just means you're not quite the bottom of the manure pile.

Replied on Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 12:01 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
I?ve hauled loads for them with a Reefer and Hopper Never had a problem remember there?s always at least two sides to every story
Replied on Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 08:57 AM CST
+ 1
When King of Freight talks you should listen
Replied on Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 06:09 AM CST
Sir, with all respect, please enlighten me as to why "when king of freight speaks i should listen "? I could elaborate as to my "opinion " of king of freights rates and his stated mantra of who his loyalties are with, but i need some clarification of your statement first.
At this time I'm not impressed at ALL.
Thanks for your enlightenment.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 09:17 AM CST
After thinking on my previous comment on this and going back and looking at loads I?ve hauled for and comparing loads from same area to same destinations and talking to a produce shipper and asking why he cut the rate from Salinas to Denver by 500 dollars he said WHAT we didn?t we are paying the same it?s obvious what pocket that money went in they are rate cutters and I believe have absolutely no business brokering BulkLoads and maybe if enough of us don?t use them they won?t last here long. I?ll start I won?t use them for Reefer freight or BulkLoads
Replied on Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:00 AM CST
Hey Art

King of Fright just bought a building in Wichita that was a ,
Gander Mountain sporting goods store and they say they
are going to put 400 people to work there.

Sounds like they are getting serious to me.
Replied on Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 08:36 PM CST
+ 1
King of freight is another Rate cutter I have absolutely no use for.
Replied on Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 08:36 PM CST
King of freight is another Rate cutter I have absolutely no use for.
Replied on Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 08:37 PM CST
I see now they are branching out into sporting goods yet. Hmmmm
Replied on Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 09:33 AM CST
+ 3
Mr.Dana, Your welcome to do what is best for you. I really have no opinion with your views. However for me, my people, we don't work for low lifes and in my opinion king of freight is a low life. You don't have to look far to see what their morals are. Yes i know i can't spend morals. Lucky i have very little payments right know. Im fussy and have been for some time regarding who we work for.
Good luck with king of freight. I sleep well at night.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 07:44 AM CST
I'll never understand how companies like TQL and King of Freight actually stay in business. I can't think of any other industry where their level of performance would lead to anything other than bankruptcy.
Replied on Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 08:31 AM CST
Quote: "I'll never understand how companies like TQL and King of Freight actually stay in business. I can't think of any other industry where their level of performance would lead to anything other than bankruptcy."

Have you been to a Wal-Mart?

Replied on Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 09:19 AM CST

TQL is no different than any other broker. Just make sure you have your details on the rate con or some other form of writing and you'll be fine. The text below is always placed on the rate con or agreed to in an email. It's best to have the broker add it to the rate. If I add it myself I have them sign and return it via email so I have a record of them agreeing to it in case I have to file a claim on their bond. The amounts are X'ed out because they fluctaute from load to load as they're negotiated for each individual circumstance. I do have a bottom number I will never go below though for each category. Notice it's worded so they cannot worm out of paying a month later when it's time to cut the check.

"Detention policy: Two free hours on origin and destination stops only before hourly rates begin. All other stops subject to hourly rate beginning at time of arrival. All hourly rates are billed in fifteen minute increments of $XXX per hour. In/out times determined and invoiced by Carrier only. If Broker or their customer declines to contract Carrier for said detention charges after the allotted 2 free hours have passed, or otherwise exhausted a cancellation fee will incur.

Cancellation (TONU) policy: Any and all orders canceled by any party regardless of reason, will incur a cancellation fee of $XXX if order is revoked after signed rate confirmation has been sent and/or received by Broker and/or Carrier."

I've made some decent hassle free money with TQL. Just like every other large brokerage firm you're going to have some good and some bad. Somebody mentioned King Of Freight above and I'd have to agree they are absolute trash! I called on a posted load of theirs because the rate listed was right where I needed to be so I thought there would be no haggling the rate and could just load and go. Wrong. They kept putting me on hold while taking calls from other carriers. Kept asking the other carriers to underbid me. Then they came back to me and said if I could beat their rate I'd get the load. I found this to be morally bankrupt and disgraceful. I told the scumbag so and hung up. They also have a nasty habit of taking already brokered freight and relisting it for less. Just like Landstar has turned into.

If you can find a deent broker who keeps you running and gets you the rate you're doing good. Howver, finding that on the spot market is challenging since the loadboards are all about getting trash moved that moone else wants or emergency loads that need hauled...now. Neither one are conducive to forming lasting relationships between carrier and broker. I had Taimen brokerage try to steal my detention pay from me. They denied everything. Then I filed a claim on their bond and got my money because I had their agreement in an email. Got to cover your bases...ALWAYS. DAT and ITS both have a review section for brokers. I use them religiously when hauling loadboard freight. It's so important to get the word out to other carriers. It's up to us to keep the pond clean.

Replied on Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 09:19 AM CST

Good Morning All, I have been reading all the coments and I agree with drivers mainly because I was a driver before my health kept me from behind the wheel of my own truck. Since then i have had to find someone to drive for me and had to find something that i could do from home, so i became a broker. So for me being an ex owner/operator I totally understand what it takes to run a truck up and down the highways and the costs can be huge. Thats why I think that anybody going into the broker business should have experience as a driver before becoming one. My main concern as a broker is to make sure that my driver is making what he "DESERVES" and if the shipper isn't willing to give that than i simply will not post a load because it gives brokers a bad name. Again, its about knowing what the costs are for carriers and making sure they are looked after, they are the heart of this whole thing and they have my total and full respect.

Replied on Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:08 AM CST
Quote: "Good Morning All, I have been reading all the coments and I agree with drivers mainly because I was a driver before my health kept me from behind the wheel of my own truck. Since then i have had to find someone to drive for me and had to find something that i could do from home, so i became a broker. So for me being an ex owner/operator I totally understand what it takes to run a truck up and down the highways and the costs can be huge. Thats why I think that anybody going into the broker business should have experience as a driver before becoming one. My main concern as a broker is to make sure that my driver is making what he "DESERVES" and if the shipper isn't willing to give that than i simply will not post a load because it gives brokers a bad name. Again, its about knowing what the costs are for carriers and making sure they are looked after, they are the heart of this whole thing and they have my total and full respect."

Politician speak! You should run for office. How do you determine what a carrier "deserves" or not? You don't know what MY costs are nor is it your place to make that decision for me. It's my business, not yours. Every one of us has different operating expenses and rates. The only thing worth talking about is percentages of the total rate and if you aren't willing to honestly tell the carrier what the rate you're getting from your customer is (with proof in writing) then IMO you're just another lying dirtbag broker spewing your canned speach to any sucker that believes you. Just like politicians, ya'll will say anything to get what you want. I've talked to many brokers here that claim they're only taking 10 percent but I'm direct with many of the loads they have posted and already know for a fact they're taking 20-35 percent of the rate. Some are only a smaller percentage but keeping the fuel surcharge for themselves. Greedy lying scumbags.

Replied on Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 07:11 AM CST
Stay away
Replied on Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 10:50 AM CST

Why always the excuse of let me call customer? You know what the load is paying when you book it with customer.

Replied on Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 11:59 AM CST
Quote: "Everybody has different costs for running trucks. My father's truck and trailer are paid off vs someone who has 2016 tractor and trailer has a massive expense amount. You have to know your bottom line. And honestly, right now clients don't pay us much either because the competition is so huge. I have had other brokerages under cut my rate and for me to keep running my business i had to lower it. I want to pay you guys more but when i can't, i can't. "

can i get the names of the people who undercut you?

Replied on Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:10 PM CST
Quote: "Why always the excuse of let me call customer? You know what the load is paying when you book it with customer."

That's not always the case. If the rates a broker is getting from carriers to haul are higher than usual or higher than customer expects to pay a good broker will call the shipper and negotiate your rate.

There's a bunch of disinformation on this thread. I don't like using a broker either but they are a necessary evil in our profession

Replied on Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 09:01 PM CST
Quote: "I'll never understand how companies like TQL and King of Freight actually stay in business. I can't think of any other industry where their level of performance would lead to anything other than bankruptcy."

Too many dumb and ignorant truckers who have the stupid mentality that if the wheels are turning, they are making money. These people prey on rookies and desperate drivers.

Replied on Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 09:01 PM CST
Quote: "I work for TQL and have been in the logistics business for a while. You have to understand that we call you for updates when the customer calls us for updates. Sometimes with macropoint the driver will turn of their phone or the location services once the load is booked. Please understand that we are not just calling to be calling. I have built up a list of regulars that I work with on a daily basis and I for the most part dont check call them at all because we have built that relationship as broker to carrier. We have to make sure that the customers needs are met."

Have you ever thought that you are interrupting mandated rest periods?

Replied on Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 07:17 AM CST

This is one company to totally stay away from. Years ago when we hauled a dry van load for them, this was when Amazon was first starting to warehouse and ship their own freight. We were asked to layover for them and they said they would pay us our layover pay. They then decided to have us cross dock the load the following day. We agreed to the price and the manager was supposed to send over the revised rate sheet. We went on and picked up the second part of the load and delivered it to Texas as needed. No thanks to them nor Amazon.

I should have given them back the second leg of this load due to not receiving the revised rate sheet. Thus far we had not had any problems with their company living up to their side of the deals. I had seen all the other warnings about TQL and failed to pay attention and just thought it would not happen to me. Well, it did and that is my fault. This should have been where the story ended. My company never working with theirs again.

The story continues with their agents starting to call my phone at all hours of the day and harassing me. I have a small fleet of owner-operators as well as company trucks. I answer the phone at all hours of the day in case they need my aid in the office. I have driven on the road myself and know what it is like to be broke down on the side of the road in the middle of the night. One phone call that their office did was at about 04:00 in the morning, as I answered the phone the idiots from their office forgot to mute out the phone. The one idiot told the other idiot that I was stupid since I always answered my phone, he said that his manager had told him to call me two or three times a day no matter what time it was. Now imagine my feelings when my wife overheard this while we were in bed. I was quite pissed, to say the least, and then told the idiot that I would call their company the following day and let them know what was happening. I called their Carrier Services department and told them what was going on. I asked them how would their CEO Ken Oakes like it if somebody from our company was doing the same to him. I informed them that I no longer wanted to receive and phone calls from their company nor do business with individuals that could not keep their end of the deal and thought that harassing others was professional. This should have been where the story ended.

They continued to call and harass me for about another two months. So I waged an internet campaign on bulk loads and Facebook that was called "Just say no to TQL". I made a video that went viral on Facebook and this seemed to get their attention. Recently I had hired a man to help manage my company, he swore up and down that he could get things right with TQL and Coyote Logistics (another story for another time). When he called Too Quirky Locos they informed him about the internet campaign and stated that I had threatened the life of Ken Oakes their CEO. I never threatened Mr. Oakes that was a complete lie. Yet it was funny to find out that TQL was scared of the owner of Powerhouse Transportation and his internet campaign.

Since the last time that I did a "Just say no to TQL campaign". I have now formed multiple facebook groups that the members exceed 150,000 people. Last time the video went viral we only had 500. I wonder if I was to do another internet campaign explaining additional information about the actions of TQL, what would happen then?

What do the rest of you all think?

Replied on Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM CST
+ 2
The problem is you gusy dont knwo what a fair rate is in the market I have had 2 differnt lanes that i quoted that you guys have gotten that were so cheap. You have no idea what a market rate is in the Hopper world. You may know van world but you have absolutely no clue in the bulk world..
Replied on Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 04:45 PM CST
+ 1
Just say NO to tql
Replied on Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 07:00 AM CST

I have to say, I've heard a lot of negative things about TQL but my husband uses them now and again and we've NEVER had a single issue. I'm also a broker and in my experience, a lot of carriers that complain about brokers (myself included) are usually the carriers that are late, don't answer their phone or email and tend to be mouthy. My husband has never had any rate reductions of any kind and we always keep our brokers informed. We also turn our paperwork in on time. Can all the carriers badmouthing TQL say the same?