Home > Forum > Tires On A Spread

Tires on a Spread

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:06 AM CST
I have 10 reefers and have bought my first dump. This dump has a spread axle on it and I know because of the different application that the tires are different. What are the best tires to run on these spread axles?
Replied on Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 02:03 PM CST
Tire needs a very rounded shoulder. Michelin in their line caps use an SA designation for spread axle tires.
Replied on Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 05:54 PM CST
I run Yokohama ry023 tires on my 10'2" spreads and have had good luck with them, just remember if you get a 100000 miles on a set on a spread your doing good. I ran spreads over the years on reefer, stepdeck, and hopper
Replied on Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 06:29 PM CST
Mr Dressel forgive my ignorance but you state that you have run spread axle hoppers. My question is logically I can see how you can get the weight on a spread almost anything by locating the weight over the axle group. On a hopper the hopper isn't over the axle group. By just loading more product in the rear hopper do you get the desired weight transfer? I know stupid question but please educate me.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 06:46 PM CST
I have a Cornhusker spread 84" 102" 51' if it's a heavy product you can get enough weight on the spread but with light product it's tough to get enough weight on. With light product I load from the back to the front till my weight is rite on the drives
Replied on Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM CST
we run 60 flatbeds and 3 dumps, all on spread. The Michelin XZE2 is the best tire I have found. Gets the miles, doesnt chunk out, wears flat, but all a loss if the driver bangs a curb. Continental HSR's are recommended as a spread application, but they seem to get the thumpity-thumps. Everyones application is different. When we cap them, the BTL-SA from Bandag seems to do the best
Replied on Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 08:38 PM CST
I appreciate all of the replies. It is nice to be able to ask people in the biz and not have to learn by trial and error. Thanks again.
Replied on Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 07:30 PM CST
I got 2 trailers with the spred axle i run continental hsr2 best tire for us
Replied on Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 07:31 PM CST
I got 2 trailers with the spread axle i run continental hsr2 best tire for us
Replied on Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 09:50 PM CST
Quote: "Mr Dressel forgive my ignorance but you state that you have run spread axle hoppers. My question is logically I can see how you can get the weight on a spread almost anything by locating the weight over the axle group. On a hopper the hopper isn't over the axle group. By just loading more product in the rear hopper do you get the desired weight transfer? I know stupid question but please educate me. Art Pfluger"

When we had our spread, even with a triple, we put the front pile over the trap (between 2-3 bows) and only 2 piles as far back as you can go. We can get more weight on the trailer doing this than we can one all the way in the front and filling the back.

The back slop of the front hopper puts more weight on the rear of the trailer. The front slope of the rear hopper puts more weight on the drives.
Replied on Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 01:38 PM CST
All the trailers I have owned and gotten rid of have been spreads an I awlays ran 16 ply seemed. To hold up the best
Replied on Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 01:56 PM CST
I ran HSR's on my spread reefers. But what helped the most is a lift front axle , dump valves and rotation. I could get 150,000 to 180,000 miles on a set. Tight turns and donuts are a big no no !!
Replied on Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 08:22 AM CST
Hankook AH-24 has been my choice for spreads or tandems for awhile. Big Michelin Fan, but these tires do well for me, and much cheaper if they do Curb em....