Home > Forum > Electronic Logging Devices: Submit Comments For Small Business

Electronic Logging Devices: Submit Comments for Small Business

Jan 30, 2018 at 07:21 AM CST
+ 8

Action Alert

January 2018

The Department of Transportation is considering a small business exemption to the Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate that went into effect on December 18, 2017. The ELD mandate increases costs for small trucking businesses and increases prices for consumers.
Click below to submit a comment supporting a small business exemption from the ELD mandate.
The deadline to submit comments is February 1.
Please forward this email to others and encourage them to also take action.

TAKE ACTION »

National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB)
53 Century Blvd, Suite 250, Nashville, TN 37214
Replied on Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 08:34 AM CST
+ 1
I absolutely vote for this!
Replied on Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 04:29 PM CST
Quote: "I absolutely vote for this!"

I am all for this big companies get all the fuel breaks and all the other benefits time to help the little guy out for once
Replied on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 06:45 AM CST
+ 1
At least there is hope. My tractor is currently old enough to be exempt, but looking to update. If they leave the ELD mandatory, i plan on not getting one as a form of protest...protesting seems pretty popular right now, but i doubt they would be very receptive to that protest. Speak up and get rid of this thing!

Thanks
Replied on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:25 AM CST
+ 2
The real key to reversing this mandate is the shippers themself. They have the biggest check book in the room, and politicians are controlled by money. Past history shows us that the shippers are capable of taking on the ATA, and labor unions at the same time, without any allies helping them....... Now when you have most of the truckers who were opposed to this mandate joining forces with the shippers, it's hard to believe that this won't be reversed. That said many of the drivers who have left already are not coming back, so there will be long lasting damage from this experiment in stupidity. After a month of the shippers seeing rates go through the roof, the stock market took a good hit yesterday.... coincidence? Or the start of a new trend?
Replied on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:21 AM CST
I fully support eliminating less for small trucking companies
Replied on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:22 AM CST
You can also go to www.regulations.gov and comment directly to FMSCA on docket 2017-0356-0002. There's a big catch in the exemption, to qualify, the small companies can have "no attributable at-fault crashes". Who determines who is at fault, since the FMSCA already admitted they do not determine who is at fault in crashes, they just post them to the CSA.
Replied on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:41 AM CST
I wish it would come today. But truth is I don’t know if I will make it that far
so the sooner the better
Replied on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:49 AM CST
Quote: "I wish it would come today. But truth is I don’t know if I will make it that far so the sooner the better "

Sorry to here that!
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 01:39 PM CST
+ 3
I aggree small businesses should be excempt fro Elog. Let the big companies who will put anybody in a truck just because they are desperate for drivers. These are the ones who are causing the accidents which gives the rest of us a bad name to the general public.
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 02:05 PM CST
+ 3
I think for small business ( or all trucking) they need to look at changing the 10 hour shut down rule.

I don't think FMCSA is taking into consideration that, as a driver, when you go to work you are now living on the job.
Your truck is your work home....we don't have the luxury of going home to our famileis every night... We go back to our job...the truck.

The shippers and receivers have not caught on just how much money it cost a small trucking company to sit for HOURS waiting to get loaded, or unloaded.
A lot of receivers will not allow you to take your 10 hour break on their property, even if they take 5 hours to unload you.

So why don't they look at changing it to a 16 hour "working window" and an 8 hour shut down. Keep the 11 hour limit on driving. Just give the drivers the flexibilty that if they want to stop and have a nice lunch, shower and maybe take a short nap they can. A nice hour, or so nap can certainly help running when your running the roads.

Everyone "should" get 8 hours sleep. Based on statistics though 40% of Americans are sleep deprived getting less than 5 hours a night.
If that 40% of Americans, how can they force 100% of all drivers to sit in their truck for 10 hours straight????

The driver won't feel as stressed watching a 16 hour count down as compared to watching a 14 hour count down.

They will also do a safer job, if those who need it can take a good break during the "working" hours.....
Or, not be so stressed out at shippers and receivers....thinking..HURRY UP..HURRY UP. Gotta go gotta go.
Replied on Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 07:57 AM CST
+ 1
actually the whole idea of holding someone to a certain number of hours per day is ludicrous. I used to truck 15 hours a dat and make 900 to 1000 miles with plenty of sleep because if I got tired I'd pull over and nap...now you are forced to keep the hammer down 11 hours straight and you don't get a 2 hour nap any more...the mandatory 30 minute break is a joke and the hours of service requirements need to slither off into the communist state like prohibition.
Replied on Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 02:46 PM CST
+ 2
I am offended by the requirement to run an ELD.... There i said it... Hell that excuse works for everything else, why not this?
Replied on Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 06:50 AM CST
Quote: "I am offended by the requirement to run an ELD.... There i said it... Hell that excuse works for everything else, why not this?"

Hello good morning , yes ELD and hours are a problem ELD weather on paper or ELD no big deal you still have to weight it down, hours of sleep on the other hand that's more of a issue with less time to do the same job as before if you have a new truck it's bad enough you mite just get down the road and break down ( clean air act) so what should one do , bug the piss out of the rep's in your state till they make a change hopefully, just thinkin , be safe have a good day. Peace , O if anyone has work in Illinois we can use some . ??
Replied on Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 07:43 AM CST
As a small fleet owner of 7 hopper trucks hauling feed products feeding the chickens of the Nation

Replied on Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 05:25 PM CST
If they worked Rite they could b fine I can?t keep mine working
Replied on Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 01:09 PM CST
+ 2
Though it is past the comment period, we are still hobbled by government regulation. I still maintain that a professional driver knows when he is tired. We have been regulated to the point of extinction, and just because your log says you need to stop, has nothing to do with your condition to drive. By forcing people to drive continuously with only a 30 min break is crazy. We should be given credit for when we stop to take a nap or have to sit for lading. Also if a driver takes a 34 and parties for two days, is he rested when he comes back to work? We are dealing with a flawed system a system that revenues in the name of safety, and creates competition with the railroad, which is a unionized, subsidized, untaxed, corporate conglomerate.
Replied on Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 04:08 PM CST
Though it is past the comment period, we are still hobbled by government regulation. I still maintain that a professional driver knows when he is tired. We have been regulated to the point of extinction, and just because your log says you need to stop, has nothing to do with your condition to drive. By forcing people to drive continuously with only a 30 min break is crazy. We should be given credit for when we stop to take a nap or have to sit for lading. Also if a driver takes a 34, and parties for two days, is he rested when he comes back to work? We are dealing with a flawed system, a system that revenues in the name of safety, and creates competition with the railroad, which is a unionized, subsidized, untaxed, corporate conglomerate.
Replied on Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 06:33 PM CST
Quote: "Though it is past the comment period, we are still hobbled by government regulation. I still maintain that a professional driver knows when he is tired. We have been regulated to the point of extinction, and just because your log says you need to stop, has nothing to do with your condition to drive. By forcing people to drive continuously with only a 30 min break is crazy. We should be given credit for when we stop to take a nap or have to sit for lading. Also if a driver takes a 34, and parties for two days, is he rested when he comes back to work? We are dealing with a flawed system, a system that revenues in the name of safety, and creates competition with the railroad, which is a unionized, subsidized, untaxed, corporate conglomerate. "

I would definitely be for this because I was sort of forced to purchase a new truck last March and the thoughts of losing a third of my income due to running a eld worries me if I will still be able to keep up with my payments ,, a question also has anyone heard anymore about the Ag and cattle haulers exemptions are they going to continue the exemption ?? Right now I do fall into that category.
Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 08:37 AM CST
Totally for the exemption , i dont want the added expence or do i need this i have proved over last 30 years i am safe. Further more its not safe just look at the accident rates for the big ATA carries also stresses out drive and makes them rush.
Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 11:44 AM CST
The Government knows better about this stuff then we do. lol.... Even when they are provin wrong, they are still right. Sit back and watch walls in which they created close in on them and the shit starts getting real.