Home > Forum > Paccar Motor

Paccar Motor

Jun 12, 2018 at 09:45 PM CST
Do anyone have good or bad reports on the Paccar Motor 2015 or newer ??
What year or years had the bad Cam ??
I don't hear good things about the Cummins or have I heard wrong ??
Replied on Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:13 PM CST
I’ve bought two Pete’s new in 2016 with paccar s in them and they’ve been great no issues with them.
Replied on Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 09:56 AM CST
Thats great to hear Dale because I just bought a new 2018 pete with a paccar in yesterday. I had a lot of mixed feeling about it as i was buying it. I have heard good and bad and everything inbetween on them and dont know what to believe especially coming from a truck driver. HAHA. But i hear good things about the fuel milage all the time
Replied on Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 04:00 PM CST
Have a 2016 Peterbilt 567 with 134,000 on it. So far been good, had to replace the oil pan because of a crack on bottom side. Fuel economy been about 5.4 pulling a 43X84x102 hopper, but came up to 6 since I hit 120,000 miles. Pulls pretty good until you get on real long hills, then it'll pull it down. Changing fuel filters can be a challenge. Change the one on the frame first, then fill it with fuel then run truck for awhile. Do the same with the one on the motor next.
Replied on Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 05:25 PM CST
We average 5.9 to 6.5 on our PAC car it is 480 h p with a auto behind it pulling hopper @ 80,000 lbs
Replied on Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:11 AM CST
+ 1
Diddo on changing the fuel filters one at a time and running the truck in between. change them both at the same time you'll be pressurizing the fuel tank with an air hose wondering if it will ever start again.
Replied on Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:13 AM CST
+ 2
Tell me how awesome those PACCAR motors are when the warranty is gone and you need parts or you are unlucky and have a challenge. Our local kw dealer is above average in my opinion and I know of these motors in and out for 30-45 days to find a problem.
I'll keep my e model cats.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 04:35 PM CST
Quote: "Tell me how awesome those PACCAR motors are when the warranty is gone and you need parts or you are unlucky and have a challenge. Our local kw dealer is above average in my opinion and I know of these motors in and out for 30-45 days to find a problem. I'll keep my e model cats. Art Pfluger"

What kind of mileage do you get with the cat. Any mods
Replied on Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 06:54 PM CST
I get 4.5-5 with a 13'6" floor. Same truck with a flatbed 6-6.5. They have Bully Dog manifold and turbo with different flash codes. I do better if I get midwest miles. They are W900 and 379 Pete. Running from Az to Text.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 08:16 AM CST
+ 1
then that shop isn't above average the computer tells them everything and where to find it
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:26 AM CST
Quote: "then that shop isn't above average the computer tells them everything and where to find it"

The computer doesn't tell all..it might tell 99% ..but there is that 1 % that you have to figure out with experience..and then there are those pesky bad codes that show up but aren't there..
It's funny how over the years you have smaller engines.. And bigger.. And all get about the same fuel economy..it all depends on the driver..terrain..outside temperature.. the cetane rating of your fuel ..normally the larger engines will last longer as they just mosey on down the road and the smaller engines are in a constant uphill..
Replied on Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 01:51 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Tell me how awesome those PACCAR motors are when the warranty is gone and you need parts or you are unlucky and have a challenge. Our local kw dealer is above average in my opinion and I know of these motors in and out for 30-45 days to find a problem. I'll keep my e model cats. Art Pfluger"

I agree with Art, the E model is a good motor, the B & C motor's are good too.
Replied on Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 08:49 AM CST
Quote: "then that shop isn't above average the computer tells them everything and where to find it"

the computer system does not tell you everything. it tells you MOST of the electrical system. Electrical system is the smallest part of an engine, and the biggest problem
Replied on Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 09:45 AM CST
Quote: "Thats great to hear Dale because I just bought a new 2018 pete with a paccar in yesterday. I had a lot of mixed feeling about it as i was buying it. I have heard good and bad and everything inbetween on them and dont know what to believe especially coming from a truck driver. HAHA. But i hear good things about the fuel milage all the time"

We bought 2 2015s and the fuel milage is less than 5/g. Is there anything a guy can do to help this out?
Replied on Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 04:46 PM CST
Had a 2012 Pete a while back with an Auto. No problems for 650,000 miles except the little sensors on the transmission occasionally and a few other odds and ends.

It was running 6.5 mpg hauling a dry van and the driver was usually running it at 68 mph going out West and back. Overall it was a reliable machine just wish it had a little more torque. Let it go for a profit about a year ago.
Replied on Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 06:43 PM CST
I have a 2015 KW T660 with the paccar 500. Its been a great motor with no issues. I run about 6.8 to 7.1 pulling flatbed with anywhere from 25000lbs to 70000lbs in Michigan. I have an 18spd with 3:42 gears. It pulls fine for me. I have only owned Kenworths with cat motors. Its not a cat motor but its not a dissapointment either. Good luck to you.
Replied on Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 07:39 PM CST
Did you get a new International LT?