Home > Forum > Remember When

Remember when

Jul 21, 2018 at 09:01 AM CST
+ 1 - 1
Remember when a DWI was a career killer for a truck driver? Now suddenly it don't matter anymore? Then the government told us how they were going to strictly enforce HOS, with the ELD mandate? And level the playing field? Then they turn around, and hand out exemptions to all of the "special little children ", and are forced to issue a official guidance on personal conveyance? Now these stories are popping up in the news, how there is a critical shortage of bus drivers, and folks who live in the inner city, can't rely on the public transit system to get to work anymore, folks are now routinely late to work. Then we read these stories of bus companies shutting the doors one after another, becuase they can't find drivers. And all of this is happening at a time when rates and driver pay are setting new records. Yet there are those who insist that the regulations are not the problem, and continue to make regulations that can't be enforced. Bahhahaha
Replied on Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM CST
A dwi is still a career killer. Just witnessed a CDL holder lose his liscense last weekend driving his personal vehicle. Not defending him. Just saying that hasn't changed. Not sure about the rest of the country, but there's no driver shortage in my area. I've been looking to update a truck...the ones I look for are sold off truck paper faster than I can call inquiring about them. Eld has slowed things. But I haven't witnessed any cripling. But I am sheltered and don't leave the upper Midwest
Replied on Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 03:45 PM CST
There have been driver wanted ads on Craigslist, where it says right in the ad that a DWI Is acceptable, if you have experience and no accident's. So one day I asked my insurance agent how that can be, and I was told that the insurance companies had backed off of that, due to the big driver shortage. The other week on Xm Sirius, they were talking about a bad bus accident that NTSB was investigating, where seven people were killed, and NTSB had uncovered that the driver had multiple DWI offenses in the past few years, although he was sober at the time of the wreck. So apperantly it's not a career killer anymore for a CDL holder, provided you or your employer are willing to pay a higher rate. As for ELD, it seems that rates have went up for everyone outside the hopper market since December, but then again they don't seem to have the exemptions from ELD like the AG sector does either.
Replied on Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 06:46 PM CST
Quote: "A dwi is still a career killer. Just witnessed a CDL holder lose his liscense last weekend driving his personal vehicle. Not defending him. Just saying that hasn't changed. Not sure about the rest of the country, but there's no driver shortage in my area. I've been looking to update a truck...the ones I look for are sold off truck paper faster than I can call inquiring about them. Eld has slowed things. But I haven't witnessed any cripling. But I am sheltered and don't leave the upper Midwest"

Dale I wish would have known that you were in the market for a pre ELD truck, becuase I have found several over the past few months. There was a 96 pete 379 with a 3406C completely redone from front to back, that a neighbor of mine had for sale for 40k. He had it for sale for 2 months, and it finally went. It only had 100k on a cat rebuild,
Replied on Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 10:32 AM CST
I don't care if it's pre ELD. Just pre EPA. I wanted to update a truck and hire a part time driver. Then I looked into workmans comp insurance ect...and I don't think I can pencil it out.
Replied on Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 07:25 PM CST
Quote: "I don't care if it's pre ELD. Just pre EPA. I wanted to update a truck and hire a part time driver. Then I looked into workmans comp insurance ect...and I don't think I can pencil it out. "

Dale if you can find a driver, part time or otherwise you would be someone's hero. Just sitting here right now looking at transport jobs on Craigslist st.cloud Minnesota, and everyone seems to be offering a $10,000.00 sign on bonus, including Schneider, Ruan, Mclane foods, and several others, the list seems to keep growing daily, as folks continue to come up empty. How many companies offered bonuses like this prior to December 18th? Now they do, and still come up empty? Perhaps they should double it, or triple it and see if that works, all I know is there are very few of us that can compete against what's currently being offered.
Replied on Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM CST
+ 1
I'm honestly not worried about finding a driver. I'm worried about cash flowing positive. And paying a good wage. I've never had an employee before. But the gentleman I've talked to about it aren't interested in a sign on bonus....that means you are doomed to driving that truck every single day. Zero freedom. The gentleman I've talked to are baby boomers that are retired and incapable of sitting still. They want to golf on Friday Saturday and Sunday, Maybe even Monday...then drive a nice loud shinny truck on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then go back to golf, or fishing....not gonna happen if you get a sign on bonus
Replied on Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 07:25 PM CST
+ 1
And don?t forget, they wanna bring home $2k/wk for those 2-3 days of ?working?!!
Replied on Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 08:40 PM CST
+ 1
I didn't mean for my post to be a negative comment. I think it's great if a retired person wants a part time job. What's unfortunate is that insurance and everything is so expensive I can hardly afford a part time person. It takes the fun out of it for me and the person that wants a job just to keep busy occasionally
Replied on Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 08:47 AM CST
+ 1
Finding a steering wheel holder is easy, finding a TRUCK DRIVER is hard.
Replied on Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 01:54 PM CST
It would be for any driver I would hire. I would perceive it a a sign of poor judgment. If you depend on a cdl for your job and you exercise poor enough judgment to get a dwi, why should I trust you with my truck?.
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM CST
Dave it must depend on the insurance company ?? I lost a good driver recently who recieved a DUI on his motorcycle.
He blew a .05 on the meter but was prosecuted because he had a CDL. CDL as you know is .04. Perhaps he could have fought the charge and won but he chose to surrender his CDL and go back to pipeline welding.
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:38 PM CST
You are correct Jerry, not every company will do it. As it was explained to me, you had to have the right company to start with, and be in good standing with them to do it. The offense had to of occurred in a personal vehicle, not a CMV. And the driver must have paid his reinstatement fees, and completed a treatment program. I believe they said the offense had to be at least one year old.
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 03:06 PM CST
Would you want to drive a city bus full of Ghetto Lobsters? Pay isn't the Issue, the Issue is making it home alive every day. And we all know who uses the bus to move around. It ain't the ones with a car LMAO