Home > Forum > What Do Drivers Want In A Trucking Job?

What do drivers want in a Trucking job?

Jul 23, 2018 at 08:27 AM CST
Drivers in know your on here what do you expect out of a driving position, list top 5 things.

Just currious
Replied on Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM CST
+ 2
Top 5 things?1) Respect..2) Respect..3)Respect...4) money..5) a truck that is safe..doesnt break down and not an embarrassment to drive
Replied on Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 08:55 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Top 5 things?1) Respect..2) Respect..3)Respect...4) money..5) a truck that is safe..doesnt break down and not an embarrassment to drive"

When I started driving truck in 1987 and I would come home from a long week of work, I would be asked what I did for a living. I was ALWAYS told I had a tough job and people respected what I did. Somewhere along the line in the 90's I went from a respected driver to a "God Damned Truck Driver". This was expressed to me at the same bar where I was told my job was tough. Mind you that I come from generations of truck drivers. I am not sure where the respect went but it sure left this industry! I can pinpoint the time to when the first fully automatic transmission came along. There was no longer any skill needed to drive a semi, just a heartbeat and a 2 week cours in driving.
Replied on Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 11:54 AM CST
+ 2
I've been trucking for 25 yrs both company and owner operator. I grew up in a truck my dad started in 1969. I agree with no respect were treated like scum out here. No parking, no good places to eat. Hours at shipper or receiver. Cars flipping us off cuz were in there way. The money that most companies pay anymore hasn't even kept up with inflation. The best companies are small non corporate companies. We're just a number to the rest that can be replaced by a new group of graduates. Honestly your best drivers out here already have a great job and the company they work for keep them. Or they go owner operator because they are tired of being used. Also never ask your guys to do something you wouldn't do yourself. It's a different animal anymore people want to be home with family. There's too many local jobs that out pay the long haul stuff. That's my two cents .
Replied on Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 09:40 AM CST
Top 5? Respect, freedom, fun, profit, decent equipment. And shut the f*ck up about compliance and safety, we are sick of hearing about it.
Replied on Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:40 AM CST
+ 2
The way most driver ads for meggafleets should read: Driver wanted, must be willing to live on cheetos, hot dogs, and other junk food from pilot. Must be willing to eat and poop in the truck, and go for days at a time without a shower. Must be willing to throw your family under the bus, and let your neighbor service your wife, while you are stuck a few hours away from home, becuase of ELDs. Must be willing to drive well below the speed limit, and smile at all of those angry folks who are late for work. Must be willing to give up your pride, and self respect. Must be enviornmentally responsible and respect Mother Earth, by not idiling the truck to stay comfortable in severe heat or cold, as it is important to stop global warming, and you will be part of our "ECO-FLEET ", must expect to develop high blood pressure and diabetes, from lack of exercise. Ideal candidates will have spent time in a North Korean gullog, or have a background in the BDSM community, and enjoy being told how worthless you are, and beg for more abuse.