Home > Forum > Mike

mike

Jul 26, 2018 at 08:03 AM CST
I'm reading this with a great deal of interest. I am NOT a truck driver. The company I work for has considered building a truck stop. I polled a few drivers to see what they most wanted. I'd like to kind of veridy that. My preliminary design called for a driver lounge where they could do paperwork, read, write letters, etc. It also includes showers, a place for them to do laundry. And, of course, a variety of dining choices including drive thru fast food, pick up fast food, and a sir down restaurant). What do the BEST truck st6ops you have been to offer? I want this to be a DRIVER'S truck stop but for financial and other considerations must also serve the general public. Any suggestiions?

This project has been tabled for the time being but additiional input might help breathe some life back into it. By the way, the design calls for a half circle completely glass top in the middle, with two wings. One wing is the commercial rather open side and the other has all the driver-related things mentioned above. Suggestions would certainly be welcome.

Thanks
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 08:48 AM CST
+ 2 - 1
I wouldn't waste my time with sit down restaraunts. With the 14 hour clock running, drivers seldom have time for anything but fast food. It was ironic that Michelle Obama was shouting about eliminating obesity while her husband was writing laws that promote it.
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 08:50 AM CST
+ 1
Mike , thanks for asking for input from the people here on Bulk loads ,

I sure you know , You can have the nice looking truck stop with all the stuff a Driveer needs , BUT if you dont have good helpful freindly staff , with price in line with other place , fast fuel lanes , easy on and off the main road , lots of parking , good showers , BUT most of all it going to be your Staff and prices that will bring the drivers back
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 09:42 AM CST
+ 1
In all honesty, If you are going to include fast food restaurants, please make sure you either :

A. Have plenty of fuel pumps (Like Bucees)
B. Have a large enough area in front of your fuel pumps for trucks to park two deep while one is on the fuel island.
C. Have an employee who keeps drivers from parking on the fuel islands to go to McDonalds, Subway etc.

There is NOTHING more aggrevating than watching someone come out to the trucks that's sitting on the fuel island with three bags of damn fast food while I have been sitting here for 30 minutes waiting to buy fuel.

If you need an example, visit the Flying J in Texarkana, Ark.

I am truly surprised there isnt a new clinical diagnosis relating to truck driver rage while sittiing on the fuel island.
Replied on Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:39 AM CST
+ 1
Have good fuel with strick time limits at the islands.. so everybody can get fuel asap and not have one or two who think they can park there for an hour....have a sit down restaurant..you don't need a large menu..fast food all the time will lead to and early death..everybody is in a big rush..SLOW DOWN...nice clean showers and a speedy turn around for the next person...a nice tv or movie room with comfortable chairs..maybe a separate room that is quiet for paper work.. reading or just reflecting ( thinking ) as much parking as posible with some parking for over size loads like along a curb in the back..have some Bobtail parking so one tractor doesn't take up a space for a truck and trailer.. try to have a fence around the parking and have somebody patrol the lot every once in a while for lot lizards and criminals..have a speed limit in the lot with strict enforcement..dont forget it's private property and you can demand what you want and kick them off your property..there are some that think they need to try out for pole position at the next race going through the parking lot...dont worry word will get around and they will obey your rules or be gone..and the safe drivers will flock to you as the majors are worried about getting the speeders upset and wont come back if told to slow down...good lighting in the parking area...doesnt have to be prison bright.. but enough so you feel safe walking to your truck...just some thoughts from past experiences at different truck stops..
Replied on Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 12:04 PM CST
+ 1
put a heavy duty winch in front of each fuel pump that the next guy can just hook it up and drag the offending PARKED truck outta the way. If fuel island is going to be big consider a fuel desk in little booth right at fuel pumps with coffee and few things to grab for us guys that have to keep moving. It tends to take long for non truckers and fuel purchases happening at same register. Come up with something clever on removing trucks from fuel island that are finished and you will instantly be 1 notch above the competition.
Replied on Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 12:59 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "put a heavy duty winch in front of each fuel pump that the next guy can just hook it up and drag the offending PARKED truck outta the way. If fuel island is going to be big consider a fuel desk in little booth right at fuel pumps with coffee and few things to grab for us guys that have to keep moving. It tends to take long for non truckers and fuel purchases happening at same register. Come up with something clever on removing trucks from fuel island that are finished and you will instantly be 1 notch above the competition."

After you have control and flow at the fuel pumps, offer premium diesel (nonbiodiesel), speed conditions in parking lot, knowledgeable staff, safe lighting conditions to and from our trucks....it would be great if you would enforce litter laws. Security cameras installed and fines issued on the spot to individuals who insist on throwing their trash, waste and are determined to destroy our country.
Replied on Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 09:10 AM CST
+ 1
I prefer a stop with a sit down restaurant. I will rarely grab anything from fast food. While the menu choices may not be much different in quality,it still gives more choices. I also enjoy being able to sit and unwind at the end of the day while dining. Not all of us have to run out the 14 hour clock, I don't want to work that hard everyday.
These are the reasons I like the TA Petro stops, plus they take my NASTC Fleetone card.
Replied on Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 04:32 PM CST
Quote: "I prefer a stop with a sit down restaurant. I will rarely grab anything from fast food. While the menu choices may not be much different in quality,it still gives more choices. I also enjoy being able to sit and unwind at the end of the day while dining. Not all of us have to run out the 14 hour clock, I don't want to work that hard everyday. These are the reasons I like the TA Petro stops, plus they take my NASTC Fleetone card. "

and you sir, are the type of driver that will keep good restaurants going, breakfast for $7.50, you bet and its a full meal served in less than 15 minutes the 6 places we stopped at down there, and we are from canada so its more expensive for us. its a shame drivers cant pinpoint and save these rare locations. the biggest threat to these places are people who say they do not have time to stop. but they sure have time to stop and use the washroom while their truck is parked in the fuel aisle.........to use the sink to wash their feet!!! yes i said it because i have SAW it myself. the last trip i took with my man i had to chase a skirted individual out of the womens bathroom!! and it wasnt a lady!! ok enuf of that rant.....but if you keep eating fast food that you could very well stand in line longer than sitting down to get fed.......
my suggetion is that you get what you pay for,,,,,,,,a meal at the restaurant gets you parking and or a shower/coffee for free, everyone else pays for their spot, attendants to ensure people dont park it up at the fuel aisle to go get fast food or "wash"......let's start rewarding those that keep these rare and good truckstops from closing their restaurants and putting up fast food joints. the truck stops in canada are the grossest and most expensive ever so please america do not go that route as every real truckstop like those you mentioned were awesome and clean and had good internet that you could get with your points. i like the TA the best i think....