Home > Forum > Rate Calculation For End Dump , Hoppers , Tankers , BELT Trailers

Rate calculation for End Dump , Hoppers , Tankers , BELT trailers

Aug 23, 2018 at 02:15 PM CST
+ 2
Guys , good afternoon.
Please , need useful advise .
How to calculate correctly a rate for End Dump , Hopper , Tanker , Belt loads ?
What are usually taken into consideration ( volume , weight , mileage ) ?

Thank you
Replied on Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 03:02 PM CST
+ 1
it doesn't matter to me what kind of trailer or what is in it. I figure the tractor and driver has to generate $5000 per week minumum. Trailer expenses above that.
Replied on Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 03:07 PM CST
+ 1
Jerry you have ot know your cost , of Drivers, matching taxes and ect , Truck daily cost ins , lic, permits , payment on equimemt , fuel cost per mile, , after you have those cost , look at putting 5 to 10 % away for repairs of you cost , then add it all up , and you have most of you cost , , and are you working some many day a week , and how many mile a week ,or day , then you should have a idea what to price the load out at per mile ,
there a old say , you should be able to split the money 4 way 25% to the driver , 25 % for fuel 25% for operation cost and 25% to the owner but that a old saying
Replied on Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 03:49 PM CST
+ 2
Jerry, You have "fixed" costs that are the same amount per mile every month that do not change based upon the miles that you drive. You then have "variable" costs that are the same amount per mile no matter how many miles you drive each month but cost is never the same each month. Let me explain. Your truck payment,trailer payment,insurance,tags,taxes,2290 and your "salary" are going to be the same total cost if you drive 12 miles or 12,000 miles,but their cost per mile will only be determined by miles driven. If these expenses are $8,000 a month and you drive 6,000 miles the "fixed" expenses are $1.25 per mile,drive 12,000 miles and they are $.67 per mile. Fuel,tires,brakes,oil changes,and meals are different every month but always cost the same per mile,lets say your "variable" costs are $.80 per mile. Add these two together to get what I call your minimum expenses. Now take into consideration your repairs,depreciation and the "lanes" that you travel in and adjust accordingly. Also I always add $,05 per mile for misc. expenses,blow outs,cracked windshield,ripped tarp,etc,etc,etc. That should give you a starting point.
Replied on Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:41 AM CST
Thank you, for your reply . I have one more questions .
What if we have the list of available trucks END DUMP, BELT, HOPPER trailers and bulk loads is new sphere for us now .
Is it possible to calculate the final flat price for my drivers according to the mileage ?

Replied on Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:48 AM CST
YES first of all are you paying them a flat rate per mile , by the hour, or the % of the load , after you diside how you are paying the driver then add in all the TAXES, Insurance , heath and work comp, and other benfits , you are paying the driver . You should have the cost of the driver per mile or hour
Replied on Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:01 PM CST
Quote: "Thank you, for your reply . I have one more questions . What if we have the list of available trucks END DUMP, BELT, HOPPER trailers and bulk loads is new sphere for us now . Is it possible to calculate the final flat price for my drivers according to the mileage ?"

Maybe thiiswill help you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jordan.productions.icg.powercalc.pro&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/true/id1279021931?platform=ipad&preserveScrollPosition=true&platform=ipad&platform#platform/ipad&platform=ipad&platform

Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:57 AM CST
Jerry, I pull a hopper and can legally haul a little over 25 tons. A quick rule of thumb for me is $10.00 per ton per 100 miles. For instance, if a load is going 451 miles and the rate is less than $45 a ton I will usually rule it out if the broker refuses to pay more. There are exceptions like if it is going close to home. Just my thoughts.
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM CST
+ 2
Have you ever thought this guy just might not be a trucker pumping you for information on how to charge.. but a broker? And just why does one give out their trade secrets? Helping one out so they can undercut you? Not Everybody here needs help..think about it..they need your rates...
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Have you ever thought this guy just might not be a trucker pumping you for information on how to charge.. but a broker? And just why does one give out their trade secrets? Helping one out so they can undercut you? Not Everybody here needs help..think about it..they need your rates..."

ding ding ding we have a winner, 3 accounts, one with a truck asset (wisconsin)!!!! good work sir!
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:44 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "ding ding ding we have a winner, 3 accounts, one with a truck asset (wisconsin)!!!! good work sir!"

I guess when one has been on here for a while you will see many different things..including people that truly need your help.. And those that are using us..to say it nicely..
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM CST
Quote: "ding ding ding we have a winner, 3 accounts, one with a truck asset (wisconsin)!!!! good work sir!"

I guess when one has been on here for a while you will see many different things..including people that truly need your help.. And those that are using us..to say it nicely..thank you Nancy
Replied on Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 03:25 PM CST
+ 1
Mr Sureway..i know of a brokerage also named sureway out of st cloud mn...any relations to Anderson trucking service?