Home > Forum > Best All Around End Dump?

Best all around end dump?

Sep 19, 2018 at 04:39 PM CST
+ 2
What's the best style end dump to haul the most different products. From scrap metal to grains and fertilizer and feed supply. Look glass too.
Replied on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 07:18 AM CST
It depense on how big the scrap is that you will be hauling. If you are hauling large ssrap I would suggest a steel trailer otherwise an aluminum will work. There are so many other things that may me deside on one or the other. Remember scrap and feed dont mix
Replied on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 08:59 AM CST
+ 3
Yeah , you won't be hauling scrap ,and everything else , steel trailer will be to heavy to haul anything but scrap , you can haul Frag , bushelings ,cuttings and such , but you won't be hauling #1 prepared or unpredpared , nor any light iron , in New England , we put a plastic liner in an aluminum dump trailer and haul most anything , water tight canvas is a must if your gonna haul ingredients .,contact your local MAC trailer dealer , we haul 34 to 36 ton loads throughout 5 out of 6 New England states and New York , the Macs have been the best trailer to take the punishment we've seen in thirty years .
Replied on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:07 AM CST
+ 1
Don't be surprised when the crane operator at the scrap yard is loading you with a grapple, punches a big hole in the side of your new $70,000 aluminum trailer. Scrap yards have high turnover with their help, and it takes a skilled operator to avoid damage. I would highly recommend that you go work for someone who specializes in this and gain some insight, before just jumping in and buying a trailer. Good luck.
Replied on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:59 AM CST
+ 1
40ft MAC post & sheet, spread axle, front lift axle, 72in sides, 2 way gate, coal chute, removable bows & waterproof roll tarp.
Replied on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM CST
A full 3/8 inch thick floor, with tight cross member spacing and heavy gauge refuse walls is something to think about too. If you want something that will hold up and not fall apart for scrap metal. You will likely end up with a 22 ton payload though, depending on the tractor you put in front of it.,
Replied on Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 01:21 PM CST
Thanks everyone this is really helpful. I have ran dumps before, just been a while and been mostly grains and dirt, never scrap so this is great information for me. I have a scrap dealer near me I have been talking too, that's why I'm asking. I know scrap and feed doesn't mix, but if you get trailer washed out before can you still haul it. My biggest suppliers around me have a ton of feedstuffs moving, so I don't want to cut myself out of that.

Thanks again everyone.
Replied on Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 08:12 AM CST
+ 1
I ordered a 2018 Trailstar. Its 40 ft, 102 wide, smooth side, 66" sides, 3 way gate, full liner, spread axle with a lift on the front axle, 12 inch rise bows, shur-lok tarp, Hendrickson Tire Pro tire inflation, 11R22.5 polished wheels and tires, 1/4 in floor - 3/8 in the last 10 feet, fork lift package, all the lights....etc, comes in around 12,300 lbs. So far, the best trailer I have ever owned. Besides my Travis was had a very similar spec. Travis is a great great trailer but the only downside is they are kinda heavy, at least on my do-it-all spec. I hope this helps. Have a great week.
Replied on Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 08:49 AM CST
I had one of those smooth side trail stars with the same specs, and it fell apart, when it was three yard old. The side walls would bow out 6 inches on each side, every time you would pack a load of turnings in it to try and make weight, so you had to leave the shanks loose on your bows. The trailer would also twist like a pretzel when you were driving on mildly uneven ground. It started cracking apart all over the place.
Replied on Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 09:20 AM CST
Quote: "I had one of those smooth side trail stars with the same specs, and it fell apart, when it was three yard old. The side walls would bow out 6 inches on each side, every time you would pack a load of turnings in it to try and make weight, so you had to leave the shanks loose on your bows. The trailer would also twist like a pretzel when you were driving on mildly uneven ground. It started cracking apart all over the place. "

This gives me a warm fuzzy feeling....lol. I had seen some several years old that looked good. I'll hope for the best.
Replied on Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 03:57 PM CST
A Craigslist/truckpaper unit thats 12 years old or so, 39ftx60in, two way gate with grain chute and most important no more than $25000
Replied on Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 08:43 PM CST
Ravens.