WE OFFER THE LARGEST LOAD LIST OF BULK FREIGHT LOADS AVAILABLE ONLINE
There are 51,218 Bulk Loads Available in 2,454 Postings.

Forum: TENDOM VS TRIDOM
Posted Thu, Dec 20 2018 06:52 AM CST
PHIL WIEBE
TRIGG FREIGHT INC.
Toronto, ON

Posts: 1
Running in ND SD MN IW NE KS I got a tendom thinking on changing over to tridom would it be worth it on bulk? Dealing with all the permits? REPLY
Posted Thu, Dec 20 2018 12:23 PM CST
DALE HOERNER
D & K TRUCKING
HOVEN, SD

Posts: 16
I would first take 4 or 5 months of your hauling you do now and figure out what a tandem load pays and a triaxle pays. Permits for the states you listed range from 60.00 to 500.00 per year. You will have have 4 more tires to buy if not running super singles, and your fuel mileage will be .5 to 1 mile a gallon less. Most states won't let you run the interstates over 80,000, but some states have permits you can buy. I bought a tandem a couple years ago and I was trying to see if a triple was worth it. What I do it wasn't worth all the hassle. I can run anywhere I need to if things get slow in one area. REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Thu, Dec 20 2018 02:32 PM CST
DONALD KEIFER
RUFFIAN ENTERPRISES
Des Moines, IA

Posts: 37
spread might be worth the extra thought as well REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Thu, Dec 20 2018 04:40 PM CST
DALE HERMANS
HERMANS FARM
Milbank, SD

Posts: 131
Originally Posted by: DONALD KEIFER
Quote: "spread might be worth the extra thought as well"

I agree with Donald on a spread. Weigh 86k in most of those states, still be light enough to get a decent payload in states that you can't go over 80k. I'm almost 31000 empty with my tri ax. I'm 28 with my spread
REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Fri, Dec 21 2018 07:16 AM CST
DONALD KEIFER
RUFFIAN ENTERPRISES
Des Moines, IA

Posts: 37
wish I could say that I was that light but I can still scale 88000 with a spread in most states However it's also 1000 lbs heavier then a 43 ft tandem REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Tue, Dec 25 2018 10:56 AM CST
BENJAMIN JANSSEN
JANSSEN TRANSPORT
Clive, IA

Posts: 2
You would be foolish not to be running a triple in the states you have listed. Depending upon what you have for truck and what you can buy for a trailer you can get light. We run some older timpte trailers and we Tate 30-32k depending upon the truck. These guys claiming 88,000 with spreads are full of shit. 12 steer 34 drive and 40 on you spread how does that add up?? A triple is a lot more forgiving and gives you a hell of a lot more flexibility especially in the dakotas where they love their bridge formulas. In the end it all boils down to what works for you but from where you say you run a triple makes more sense to me. REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Wed, Dec 26 2018 06:21 AM CST
DALE HERMANS
HERMANS FARM
Milbank, SD

Posts: 131
Originally Posted by: BENJAMIN JANSSEN
Quote: "You would be foolish not to be running a triple in the states you have listed. Depending upon what you have for truck and what you can buy for a trailer you can get light. We run some older timpte trailers and we Tate 30-32k depending upon the truck. These guys claiming 88,000 with spreads are full of shit. 12 steer 34 drive and 40 on you spread how does that add up?? A triple is a lot more forgiving and gives you a hell of a lot more flexibility especially in the dakotas where they love their bridge formulas. In the end it all boils down to what works for you but from where you say you run a triple makes more sense to me."

Nobody is full of crap. If you have a pusher on the tractor 88 is no problem. I've also rolled over a scale at 87200 with my spread, i don't have a pusher, no problem. They have an allowance for a spread. I think I was 41 something on the spread. And unless you have a super short wheel base and skinny little steers you can put 13000 up front
REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Wed, Dec 26 2018 08:08 AM CST
DONALD KEIFER
RUFFIAN ENTERPRISES
Des Moines, IA

Posts: 37
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "Nobody is full of crap. If you have a pusher on the tractor 88 is no problem. I've also rolled over a scale at 87200 with my spread, i don't have a pusher, no problem. They have an allowance for a spread. I think I was 41 something on the spread. And unless you have a super short wheel base and skinny little steers you can put 13000 up front"

agreed ....I have a 15000lbs front axle no pusher axle and a spread that's how I do it however my empty weight is 33500 most of the time lightest I can get is 32700 and that's on fumes....and if ur registered for it and have tires for it depending on the officer and where u are they let u roll with it
REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Thu, Dec 27 2018 08:49 PM CST
STACEY TSCHETTER
STACEY & TEENA TSCHETTER
CARPENTER, SD

Posts: 35
Had a spread for years. Couple years ago went back to a closed tandem. Best thing I did. Empty weight went down, fuel milage went up, load pulls easier, and trailer is less expensive. I personally don't think it is worth the hassle for the few extra pounds you can haul. And I don't have to worry about where I can drive or how much I can haul in this state or that state. My goal is to make money not see how much more I can carry then everyone else. But always have those guys that brag how many bushels they can haul compared to me. REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE
Posted Thu, Dec 27 2018 08:49 PM CST
DAN EISCHENS
EISCHENS TRUCKING
Canby, MN

Posts: 59
Originally Posted by: STACEY TSCHETTER
Quote: "Had a spread for years. Couple years ago went back to a closed tandem. Best thing I did. Empty weight went down, fuel milage went up, load pulls easier, and trailer is less expensive. I personally don't think it is worth the hassle for the few extra pounds you can haul. And I don't have to worry about where I can drive or how much I can haul in this state or that state. My goal is to make money not see how much more I can carry then everyone else. But always have those guys that brag how many bushels they can haul compared to me. "

im with you on this. i had a triple and ran mostly mn, sd, nd and ia. got shit fuel mileage. paid $13000 more for the triple. and places want you to haul cheaper cuz you can haul more. the state of Minnesota looks for guys with 6 or 7 axles. if you're 20 pounds over your permitted weight you get a ticket for having a permitted load without a valid permit. im back pulling a tandem and will never buy another triple.
REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTE



Sponsored by Warwick Enterprises
Warwick Enterprises