WE OFFER THE LARGEST LOAD LIST OF BULK FREIGHT LOADS AVAILABLE ONLINE
There are 68,431 Bulk Loads Available in 4,115 Postings.

Forum: HOW DO I BREAK INTO THE BULK FREIGHT HAULING BUSINESS AS A BROKER/AGENT ?
Posted Fri, Jan 18 2019 08:38 AM CST 2 Likes 1 Dislike
BRYAN SCHAPPERT
TRANGISTICS, INC
Walnut Creek, CA

Thanks for your answers !!

Posted Fri, Jan 18 2019 03:59 PM CST 1 Like
DONALD KEIFER
RUFFIAN ENTERPRISES
Des Moines, IA

stay with what your doing now REPLY
Posted Sun, Jan 20 2019 01:17 PM CST 1 Like
ANDREW WENGER
AWTRANSPORTATIONLLC
Tampa, FL

that broker market is saturated right like the hopper market. Too many people that want pay for nothing and not enough people to actually get the job done. but hey maybe I am missing something. I could sit at home and work 9 am to 2pm and never have to skip dinner plans and squeeze drivers to move stuff and wreck their own plans and make almost as much as the poor soul putting fuel in the tank and paying insurance and conversing with officer Buford t justice on the door step. REPLY
Posted Wed, Jan 23 2019 08:25 AM CST 7 Likes
SEBASTIAN WEST
BOOT STATE SERVICES LLC
Baker, LA

Andrew, not all brokers work 9-2. I bust my butt to make sure I take care of the carrier doing any load for me. If there is wait time, I go to bat for them to get them detention as their time is just as important as mine. I do understand there are brokers out there like that but I am not one of them. When it comes down to it, we need you as much as you need us. I appreciate all you do!

Posted Wed, Jan 23 2019 09:22 AM CST 3 Likes
ANDREW WENGER
AWTRANSPORTATIONLLC
Tampa, FL

Originally Posted by: SEBASTIAN WEST
Quote: "Andrew, not all brokers work 9-2. I bust my butt to make sure I take care of the carrier doing any load for me. If there is wait time, I go to bat for them to get them detention as their time is just as important as mine. I do understand there are brokers out there like that but I am not one of them. When it comes down to it, we need you as much as you need us. I appreciate all you do!"

don't want to start an argument on here but after getting pulled for a level 2 dot twice in 2 months and everything else that goes on it just takes the fun out of the job. It just seems anymore that someone is around the next bend waiting to shaft you be it a politically correct broker that doesn't want to take advice when a place doesnt have room for your load for 2 days, or mister dot that has a quota to fill to keep his job, and then the lines at some of these places due to lunch time, safety meetings , breakdowns, oh yes i waited 30 min at a place because the operator needed to drop a swirly. thats what he told me. If everyone would be held accountable for every min of their shift life would be enjoyable. just saying its far from roses out here so pay the asking price or do it yourself.
Posted Thu, Jan 24 2019 08:20 AM CST 1 Like
STEVE RALSTON
S & K TRANSPORT
DARBY, MT

To break into the freight hauling business you need to purchase a truck. If all you have is a cell phone you are a broker, not a freight hauler.
Posted Thu, Jan 24 2019 12:17 PM CST
SEBASTIAN WEST
BOOT STATE SERVICES LLC
Baker, LA

Originally Posted by: ANDREW WENGER
Quote: "don't want to start an argument on here but after getting pulled for a level 2 dot twice in 2 months and everything else that goes on it just takes the fun out of the job. It just seems anymore that someone is around the next bend waiting to shaft you be it a politically correct broker that doesn't want to take advice when a place doesnt have room for your load for 2 days, or mister dot that has a quota to fill to keep his job, and then the lines at some of these places due to lunch time, safety meetings , breakdowns, oh yes i waited 30 min at a place because the operator needed to drop a swirly. thats what he told me. If everyone would be held accountable for every min of their shift life would be enjoyable. just saying its far from roses out here so pay the asking price or do it yourself."

I agree Andrew. I by no means want to argue either.

Posted Wed, Jan 30 2019 04:03 PM CST 8 Likes
JIM NOLTE
SANDERS INC.
Ellsworth, MN

Originally Posted by: ANDREW WENGER
Quote: "don't want to start an argument on here but after getting pulled for a level 2 dot twice in 2 months and everything else that goes on it just takes the fun out of the job. It just seems anymore that someone is around the next bend waiting to shaft you be it a politically correct broker that doesn't want to take advice when a place doesnt have room for your load for 2 days, or mister dot that has a quota to fill to keep his job, and then the lines at some of these places due to lunch time, safety meetings , breakdowns, oh yes i waited 30 min at a place because the operator needed to drop a swirly. thats what he told me. If everyone would be held accountable for every min of their shift life would be enjoyable. just saying its far from roses out here so pay the asking price or do it yourself."

Goos afternoon Andrew, I've been quiet for a while now just watching posts, but every once in a while I have to speak up. First off let me say, you guys do a job not many are willing to do but all will bitch about. It's true your job is NOT easy, I know this because I spent many ywears on the other side of the steering wheel, and It's also true we need YOU more than you need US. I'm a broker/dispatcher now enjoying a warm office chair over frozen fingers & toes. I must say however, it seems as thoug the ONLY brokers that get mention on here are the bad ones, there are brokers such as myself who spend sleepless night trying to help my drivers get loaded/unloaded at facilities who could care less about them, I'm never truly "Off-Duty" because I' available to anyone under one of my laods 24/7. I know everyone wants to make $3/mi for every mile that truck runs, but I'm sure some of you that know me well will disagree but that is shooting for the moon to expect that 12 months a year, we all know in the spring & fall we go through a stretch where your trucks are even MORE needed than usual because we lose a percentage of the hoppers to farm duties. In these short times yes, you can almost name your own rates and about get them, just this past fall I found myself paying $3.30-$3.50/mi for short 350 mile runs. I knew to expect this and informed my customers it would happen and went off without a hitch, i needed them to move my freight. That being said, right now there are far more hoppers on the road than loads as happens every single year. We are a small company and are full aware we would NOT be here without drivers such as yourselves. We know what it costs to operate & run trucks like you do so we have a pretty good idea what it takes to make a buck. Most of my freight does NOT pay $3/mi, the vast majority is in the $2.25 - $2.60/mi range. It's kind of funny, of all the O/O's on here that complain most about the rates have NEVER called me, I know there are lots of laods on these boards going at barely over $1/mi and I understand why you wont haul them, I wont put them on my trucks either. The way i see it, they are posted to let us all know they are available, they ALL know they are cheap but figure if they can get someone to haul it who needs to get back home or closer to another load that pays way better, WHY NOT!!!. I'd bet NONE of these cheaper laods are emergent or time sensitive loads, they are simply posted to see if they can get a truck to do it for that because he needs to get home or whatever. In their shoes I'd bet you'd do the same, I'm not defending them but also realise the economics behind it. Even with the time sensitive loads I guarantee every single shipper/buyer out there will take truck willing to haul for $2.50/mi over the guy demanding $3/mi. Absolutely nothing personal behind, just common sense. For every dollar more they need to pay to get the product moved it costs the end user more. I know I'm going to catch hell for this but, let's slow down on the demanding more & more, determine what it costs to live comfortable and be happy with it. Remember, the more costs incurred getting the product to the shelves or the livestock the more it costs you to buy it. Hopefully the smoke coming out of your ears right now quits soon, but this was just my $.02 concerning the topic of SO MANY posts. If you take only 1 thing from this let it be this, the more you charge for the service you provide, the more the end user (YOU) has to pay for the product.
Posted Thu, Jan 31 2019 07:14 AM CST 2 Likes
DALE HERMANS
HERMANS FARM
Milbank, SD

Jim, I think your post was great. You are correct. The good people dont get mentioned on this forum. I dont know the struggles of your job because ive never done it, but im aware of the struggles of the people I have worked with while being under their loads and they definitely deserve credit where its due. Ive worked with some rock stars in your industry the last few weeks and theyve been great about understanding terrible weather, and the fact that my wife may have our baby ANY MINUTE, and they have been more than accomodating about knowing my plans could change in a big way with zero notice. But i guess im a a bit selfish for not mentioning them publicly (im probably the most inexperienced person on the forum, and dont want some top notch hopper veteran to swoop in and steal my awesome contacts) but those people know who they are and i'm greatful for them. And our venting isnt directed to the good ones.

I also have to say that Andrews posts are great. It makes me feel a little better about myself to know that his complaints are pretty much the same as mine. Yes to some people it is just bitching, but to me, its just people in the industry communicating common struggles through venting. It makes me feel less CRAZY to know im not the only one dealing with a certain annoyance. I feel his frustrations are 100 percent justified. If youve been behind the wheel, and owned that wheel, you can understand. how does someone safely find out you have a busted park brake spring while doing your pre trip when its -34 with a 30 mph wind????? DOT will find it in their heated building, and have no problem making you replace it right there on the SIsseton SD tundra.......but i also feel jim that your venting is legitimate as well so dont take this as criticism because its not.

I also think the price in the store is going to go up regardless of what you pay someone to truck it. and thank god for capitalism, in your shoes, id also pick the person taking the load for 2.50 over the person wanting 3.00 again i love capitalism. but its hard to not vent on here a little when we get a 172.50 fine from DOT, a 390 dollar service call after being shut down, and the loss of 4 hours, and then be asked to back off on negotiating a higher rate. I look at it as a sign of confidence in your job by asking for better rates, being proud of your skill and ALWAYS looking for ways to better ourselves. being satisfied is boring and doesnt get anybody anywhere. like andrew said, satisfied, status quo type people that only want their doors open for loading and unloading from 9-5 are the reason trucks get stuck in traffic and the reason it takes half a day to unload. Again Jim, I loved your post, I thought highly of it, but I liked Andrews and hope he continues to vent, because it makes me feel a little more SANE.

have a good one
Posted Wed, Feb 06 2019 07:25 AM CST 1 Like
ANDREW WENGER
AWTRANSPORTATIONLLC
Tampa, FL

correct. my venting wasnt directed to anyone on here. It just made me feel better to find some other folks that like to listen to me venting about the issues in my corner of this big ball that we all call home. And venting on here probaly wont change anything but if a few good brokers get a glimspe of our trials out here, it could help others out. If i dont get shafted and someone else's life can be improved its a big win for all. REPLY

Sponsored by J-Ball Electronics
J-Ball Electronics