Home > Forum > Driver Pay

Driver Pay

Mar 04, 2019 at 07:35 PM CST

How are drivers paid? We pay hourly but OT starts to cut in pretty hard. Would prefer to pay on % of truck revenue but according to my Accountant that's not legal. Per mile makes sense I guess but what about pay for detainage or in line?

Replied on Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 10:39 AM CST
+ 2
Ask your accountant WHAT is illegal about paying percentage.
Replied on Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 07:34 AM CST
Perhaps Kansas state law is different, but I don't believe federal law prohibits it. Here in my corner of the sand box 25-28% of what the truck grosses is pretty normal. The problem with paying percentage is that when rates go down, the drivers paycheck goes down, and then most drivers will quit and go somewhere else. If you pay per mile, then the pain is all yours when the rate goes down, just like if you pay hourly with no guarantee the driver still won't quit.
Replied on Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 07:34 AM CST
25% of the truck gross is pretty much standard in the dry bulk business. I've heard of as low as 20% and as high as 30%. I've also heard of guys being paid a % after fuel. I personally think that is a crock, but to each his own. I'm curious as to why the accountant says it's illegal.
Replied on Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 10:43 AM CST
i don"t know if % is illegal beings how so many pay that in way, myself or my dad before me never paid % due to its none of the drivers business what the truck makes plus if you take cheaper loads to get the truck moving then they complain theyre not making any money and quit. I used to pay hourly on local and milage on otr, but the type of tanker work we were doing changedabout 5 years ago,now I pay hourly $25.50 for admix and $21.00 for general chemical, our drivers are alot happier and really no problems finding driver except in the Louisville Ky area...We do not pay overtime due to its not required for otr truckdrivers, if I did I would not be paying That rate, it would be about $3 or $4 less per hour