Home > Forum > Bushel Rates

Bushel rates

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:18 AM CST
+ 1
Hi I?m trying to understand how to figure out the rates per bushel. How many bushels on average fit on a hopper? What are the average rates per bushel right now?
Replied on Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:51 PM CST
Sometimes is easier to charge by the ton or per hundred weight. Charging per bushel only works if you know the test weight ahead of time. Sunflowers 20-30 pounds per bushel, wheat 60 pounds per bushel....
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF GRAIN YOU ARE TRYING TO LOAD. DIFFERENT GRAINS HAVE DIFFERENT WEIGHTS TO MAKE UP A BU. FOR EXAMPLE CORN IS 56 LBS PER BU. WHEAT IS 60 LBS PER BU. MILO IS NORMALLY SOLD BY THE HUNDREDWEIGHT. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH BEFORE YOU CAN DETERMINE HOW MUCH TO PUT ON A TRAILER.

Its not as imple as asking what a bushel weighs,the weight varies upon the commodity,for instance corn weighs 56lbs,but oats only weigh 34lbs,so you see it can vary quite a bit,also the amount of bushels you can load depends on your empty weight and the size of trailer you are pulling.
For example lets say a broker is paying .75 per bu of wheat and it?s about 370 Miles from pick up to delivery. How can I more or less figure out the pay of that load? I know it depends on how much the truck can load but I?m just looking for an estimate. We currently haul per ton. Thanks for your response!
Replied on Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 01:09 PM CST
+ 4
TAKE WHATEVER YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO HAUL FOR A NET WEIGHT, DIVIDE IT BY 60 AND YOU HAVE BUSHELS OF WHEAT. EXAMPLE: 50000# PAYLOAD DIVIDED BU 60 LBS PER BU EQUALS 833.33 BU ON THE WAGON. MULTIPLY TIMES YOUR RATE THEN DIVIDE BY MILES AND YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER