Home > Forum > " Want Higher Rates ?? "

" Want Higher Rates ?? "

Jun 16, 2018 at 09:46 AM CST
+ 1
Just say NO to cheap freight !!!!!!!!!!
Replied on Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:37 AM CST
- 5
I can't for the life of me understand why people are hauling these commodity loads around for these cheap rates. We hooked up to reefers because the loads are half the weight we haul with hoppers, detention pay is paid without question from about $70.00 to $135.00 an hour and the the reefer rates are a strong $3.25 to $6.75 a mile averageing 2600 to 2700 miles a week and home every weekend with $8,000.00 to $9,000.00 a week in revenue. We can actually live like a human being with out struggling every week 24/7 to pay our fuel bill.
Replied on Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 12:12 PM CST
Are you pulling your own trailer going thru a broker ? Or pulling for a company ?
Replied on Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 01:00 PM CST
- 1
we dropped our hopper trailers and rented the reefer trailers and yes we use several different brokers. It sure is crazy that we can affoed to rent reefers, make payments on the hopper trailers sitting in the yard and still come out much better than pulling our hoppers and making payments on them.
Replied on Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 01:57 PM CST
- 2
A couple weeks ago we brought a load of ingredients into purina, and with the washout cost figured in we got about $2.38 a mile (about 540 mile trip) on a 51,000 lb load. We loaded a reefer out of the same plant the same day we unloaded the ingredient load and loaded 39,000 lb load of baged pet food to go to a warehouse (about 490 mile trip) and got $4.04 a mile.
Replied on Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 05:50 PM CST
+ 2 - 1
Right now I am watching local tow truck companies, put their trucks to work pulling other people's freight in the area. That should tell people something about how bad the capacity crunch is in the market. And Now there are construction projects, being forced to shut down becuase they are running out of material. Yet, there are folks running around cutting rates, and acting like it's still 2008?
Replied on Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 09:57 AM CST
Originally Posted by: CURT VISSER
Quote: "I can't for the life of me understand why people are hauling these commodity loads around for these cheap rates. We hooked up to reefers because the loads are half the weight we haul with hoppers, detention pay is paid without question from about $70.00 to $135.00 an hour and the the reefer rates are a strong $3.25 to $6.75 a mile averageing 2600 to 2700 miles a week and home every weekend with $8,000.00 to $9,000.00 a week in revenue. We can actually live like a human being with out struggling every week 24/7 to pay our fuel bill."

8-9k a week. How does one get hooked up. I've looked on load boards. Haven't found anything that high guiess I'm looking in the wrong spot
Replied on Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:26 AM CST
Your not going to find good paying loads on a load board weather its this load board or any other load board. Usually the reason something is on a load board is because its a cheap load. It takes a lot more work than that to get good loads. first you need a great CSA score, and good credit listed on things like Dunn and Brad. and make phone calls and setting up many contracts with not so much just the shipping comanys but with other real good trucking companys working with those shippers and provide them with a good image and referances of provideing quality work and dependability. This type of senerio works well and shipping companys get great services this way with everything going smoothly and they know there logistics will be taken care of on time with no excuses.
Replied on Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM CST
You need to remember these load board are here to mostly benefit the brokers. there subscriptions to use them are a lot less money than a carrier pays to use them and lot of them are even free for a broker to post loads, that means that brokers can post loads all over the internet in hopes they find a sucker to take that load for cheap and all they care is that they can sign a sheet of paper, have a insurance certificate and a truck. Good places that pay good rate what a little bit more that that. That why they dont give those loads to just anybody.
Replied on Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM CST
Yup. I parked my dump for a rented flatbed. General freight is near record breaking rates, and some bulk commodities brokers are still offering $1.75/Mile freight. Kinda ridiculous.
Replied on Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 03:27 PM CST
Keep in mind not only brokers use load boards. Smaller companies that do not wish to use brokers for all their hauls are on them as well. I work to find great flatbed carriers that are in the areas I pickup at to help cut out on deadhead for them and hope it is returned with a decent rate. Being in lumber isn't easy, and shipping it is even harder. As much as I would love to pay whatever it takes to get something moved I can't. If I did, we would be one more small business going under.

Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 07:08 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: DENISE MCBRIDE
Quote: "Keep in mind not only brokers use load boards. Smaller companies that do not wish to use brokers for all their hauls are on them as well. I work to find great flatbed carriers that are in the areas I pickup at to help cut out on deadhead for them and hope it is returned with a decent rate. Being in lumber isn't easy, and shipping it is even harder. As much as I would love to pay whatever it takes to get something moved I can't. If I did, we would be one more small business going under."

If you want lower rates, form a SUPER PAC, and get the ELD thrown out. You shippers have far more money and influence than the ATA.
Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM CST
+ 2
Originally Posted by: CURT VISSER
Quote: "I can't for the life of me understand why people are hauling these commodity loads around for these cheap rates. We hooked up to reefers because the loads are half the weight we haul with hoppers, detention pay is paid without question from about $70.00 to $135.00 an hour and the the reefer rates are a strong $3.25 to $6.75 a mile averageing 2600 to 2700 miles a week and home every weekend with $8,000.00 to $9,000.00 a week in revenue. We can actually live like a human being with out struggling every week 24/7 to pay our fuel bill."

advice to you! why the blank would a business owner with a brain go tell the world what he is making. you created your own problems
Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 03:01 PM CST
- 2
I have no problem informing the forum readers about the rate differance in the industries.
Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 05:47 PM CST
What I dont understand is all the people telling other people that there getting better rates that they accually are. That does not help the cause of getting rates up. And if your so embarrassed that you have to lie that your getting better rates than you are, it is a pretty good indication that you are the problem for hauling that cheap frieght.
Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 07:06 PM CST
Are the other loads really that high?? Refers, vans, flatbed ect? I talked to a friend that pulls a refer. His rates are not stellar. Maybe it's because he chooses to stay more local. Talked to a couple who pull a tanker, they had a good rate, but not stellar. So are their rates just more consistent? Because a brand new van or refer are pretty affordable, so my question is why isn't everybody switching if the rates are that great? Are those loads a pain compared to hopper loads? Traffic, lots of stops ect?

Thanks
Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 07:14 PM CST
Everybody is. Hopper guys going to flatbed,flatbed guys going to reefer. Alot of the(immigrants)latinos,pols,checs,are switching
Replied on Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:24 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "Are the other loads really that high?? Refers, vans, flatbed ect? I talked to a friend that pulls a refer. His rates are not stellar. Maybe it's because he chooses to stay more local. Talked to a couple who pull a tanker, they had a good rate, but not stellar. So are their rates just more consistent? Because a brand new van or refer are pretty affordable, so my question is why isn't everybody switching if the rates are that great? Are those loads a pain compared to hopper loads? Traffic, lots of stops ect? Thanks"

We are killing it with the reefers. The fact is we own all the hoppers and work with many brokers and shippers in the hopper industry and i cant even come close to the income pulling hoppers as what we are doing with the reefers rite now and we are renting the reefers. I just cant see sitting in line all day for a hopper load for even $2.75 a mile when we are making this kind of money with a reefer. My guys love pulling hoppers but there bottom line matters most when it comes down to paying the bills. We do have some of our hoppers on the road to every day to keep customes happy that we work with a lot but the money just cant be made like the reefers are.