Home > Forum > 50 Foot Tri Axle Wolson Trailer, 102 In Wide, 79 In Tall All Aluminum

50 Foot tri axle Wolson trailer, 102 in wide, 79 in tall all aluminum

Feb 18, 2024 at 05:39 PM CST
+ 5 - 1
What is the avg tons of DGE or Bean Meal that this trailer can roughly haul? Will I be able to get to 95,000+ gross. It will have the super hopper traps, (not an ag hopper) largest door opening Wilson has, I believe it's 36 in by 42 inch, 17 inch ground clearance. 6 Cleveland vibrators per hopper and I'm installing a pneumatic auto clean out system, its a pretty slick set up. I've been running a 46 foot timpte and I just can't get all the way to 65K net ot or 95K gross. Anyone using a 50 foot high side hopper to haul Distillers, info would be greatly appreciated. Is 50 foot over kill??? My trucks are all stretched with pucker axles and licensed to 95K +- 5% with a 400 lb apu allowance, so can technically haul 100,200 lbs so long as an axles is not over weight. Bulk loads is all about hauling more tonnage. Then it pays ok. Thanks for any help, let me know what tonnage your getting in your size trailers as a starting point. We all gotta work together, if this trailer works out, I'm setting up another one and will be looking for a O/O to pull it. You never have to get out of cab to clean all the prodict out. It truly is a "super hopper" Thank you Brad Lauber New bulk loads member
Replied on Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 12:02 PM CST
+ 1
My opinion is if you’re gonna go to 50ft, just go to 53ft then for bridge side of things. And big commodity doors and should have plenty of room for weight, other than like hulls or Midds if they’re light.
Replied on Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 02:27 PM CST
+ 3

You should be able to make enough with 5 axles to sustain yourself. I bid everything at 25 tons. If I have trucks that can haul more than 25 tons, that is just a little more that the truck makes. Don't buy more axles and length to make more money for someone else! The bulk industry is about making a living for the truck owners, drivers and the families involved. Know your break even point, bid your loads accordingly at a rate you can make money on and stick to that rate. We used to run multi axle trailers but went away from them because of limitations they cause and reduced fuel milage and added costs from extra axles. We found that we made just as much with the tandems running legal weights as we did with the higher weights and added costs. Just make sure you don't settle for a rate. Always ask if there is wiggle room, because there will be 99% of the time.

Times are tough out there right now but that does not mean you need to work for nothing or have to go spend more money to try to haul more weight. That is just my opinion!

Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:33 AM CST
+ 3

Hauling extra weight should be a bonus. You have the added expenses of bigger equipment, more tires, more fuel burned, additional permits. If you need all that to average $2.50/mile, you are getting taken advantage of. Also, depending on your lanes, less payload when you get into a state that only allows 80000 lb.gross.

Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:35 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "You should be able to make enough with 5 axles to sustain yourself. I bid everything at 25 tons. If I have trucks that can haul more than 25 tons, that is just a little more that the truck makes. Don't buy more axles and length to make more money for someone else! The bulk industry is about making a living for the truck owners, drivers and the families involved. Know your break even point, bid your loads accordingly at a rate you can make money on and stick to that rate. We used to run multi axle trailers but went away from them because of limitations they cause and reduced fuel milage and added costs from extra axles. We found that we made just as much with the tandems running legal weights as we did with the higher weights and added costs. Just make sure you don't settle for a rate. Always ask if there is wiggle room, because there will be 99% of the time. Times are tough out there right now but that does not mean you need to work for nothing or have to go spend more money to try to haul more weight. That is just my opinion!"

I appreciate your comments that loads values are negotiable in the trucking industry. thanks for that update. I dont run for free. If you owned a trailer that made more revenue per load and hired an 0/0 to put a stretched truck under it, why would you not both make more $? Im doing now and its working out just that way. In fact he wants to buy the trailer from me now. He spent the $ to stretch his truck because he did the math. Its pretty simple, more tons = more $$$ when paid by the ton. I also have trucks with 5 axles and haul alot of 80K gross loads, they make about 20% less than the 7 axle trailers.

In the east... east of mississippi river it sounds like tripple axles/ pusher axles arent really a thing? (except michigan), sounds like too much red tape and i get that but we run then all the time in the wide open west, all over from state to state. It seems your axle envy is blinding you to simple math. lol sorry but it is. In Nebraska If you look you will see more hoppers with at least a tag axle than hoppers without on any given day on hwy 81 and interstate 80 etc. and youll see alot of hopper trucks with a steerable pusher

If your paid by the mile then it is what it is and yes its alot less red tape to just run 80K and i haul alot of those loads also. Thats why i have both setups, but if its available i dont understand the resistance to heavy permit hauling? is it that you think it will result in less loads? Thats a short sighted view and youll never keep direct customers that way. The math is proven over 5 years, its really adds up quick and we estimate the ROI in 6 months tops. I cant stretch and build trucks fast enough. Our experiences will be different as we are from totally different areas. maybe your experience differs from someone 4 states away in a differnt market, we actually bid loads here too! lol

for example, its really tuff to permit a 95K load into the chicagoland area, not impossible but prepare for some hassle, and you will get the chance to explain your permits to the DOT guaranteed! yep its a pain sometimes, i understand your perspective. thats why i run lighter and shorter 5 axle 80K gross or roughly 50K net setups for just that reason, not every load needs 95K, in fact 95K gross is a minority of loads but you cant serously be arguing that it doesnt pay more im the long run. Bulk loads staff themselves called me about my post on Heavy haul or heavy permit lanes they have a calculator also.

appreciate a spirited back and forth, im willing to see other perspectives and be wrong, thats how i always seem to learn! lol

Thanks

Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:35 AM CST
+ 1

Also, i was mainly wondering specfifically about the Wilson and the 102 wide, i run a couple 96 inch wide 51 foot cornhuskers now and still have a hard time getting them to 95K gross. My 46 foot timpte i think is closer to how a wilson is built (much heavier than a conrhusker) so i was asking about the Wilson 50 footer 102 wide specifically and wondering what trailer brands and sizes were hauling roughly how much DGE or Bean Meal etc.

Thanks

Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 07:37 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "My opinion is if you’re gonna go to 50ft, just go to 53ft then for bridge side of things. And big commodity doors and should have plenty of room for weight, other than like hulls or Midds if they’re light."

Thanks for the info, ive thought about that too. if your gonna go big, just go all the way! 51 foot cornhuskers are even lighter than 50 ft wilson by almost a ton. im running a couple 51 foot trip axe cornhuskers now on 4 axle trucks and they gross and more importantly NET sooooo much more $ per load/ week/month/ year. it just makes sense to me. Bulk loads is all about tonnage and speed when your paid by the tonnage. When paid by the mile it it is what it is.

I dont know why there is such a resistance to extra axles from 5 axle drivers and truck owners on this forum? Ive posted a few diff places asking opinions and thoughts, actually got a call from Bulk loads staff asking questions and thinking its a good idea to set up a procedure to help permit trucks. Most every reply from other carriers ive gotten nothing but what it would call "axle envy" telling me that hauling 7.5 more tons a load isnt worth it and how i shouldnt buy trailers that make more revenue, that a 5 axle truck will make just as much money. simple math is simple math. I also have trucks with 5 axles that haul 80K gross, there are plenty of those loads available.

Just an observation. Cornhusker makes an even bigger one but hauling around a 54 footer is gonna be tuff at some of the terminals, especially if im 102 wide and a 280+ inch wheel base on a 379!

Thanks

Replied on Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 01:43 PM CST
Quote: "Hauling extra weight should be a bonus. You have the added expenses of bigger equipment, more tires, more fuel burned, additional permits. If you need all that to average $2.50/mile, you are getting taken advantage of. Also, depending on your lanes, less payload when you get into a state that only allows 80000 lb.gross."

Exactly, if a 5 axle 80K gross truck was avg. $2.50-$2.75 a mile pay by tonnage. A 7 axle rigs will avg over $3.50+ Not exact #'s for anyone wondering... but it shows the relative difference. An extra. $200-500 a load (depending on rate per ton) makes a big difference. Once your set up you can make good bonus $$ on each run. Sure you burn $40 more fuel to make $400 more. It's simple math to me
Replied on Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 07:14 AM CST
+ 1
Call the dealer to get the cubic feet of the trailer your interested in and x that by the product weight per cubic foot and you have what you can haul. DDG is roughly 30 lbs/cf so you'd need roughly 2,200 cf heaped volume. Bean meal will be fine it's just a little lighter than grain.
Replied on Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 03:26 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Exactly, if a 5 axle 80K gross truck was avg. $2.50-$2.75 a mile pay by tonnage. A 7 axle rigs will avg over $3.50+ Not exact #'s for anyone wondering... but it shows the relative difference. An extra. $200-500 a load (depending on rate per ton) makes a big difference. Once your set up you can make good bonus $$ on each run. Sure you burn $40 more fuel to make $400 more. It's simple math to me"

I guess if you had the answers you were looking for, why ask the question? We are in ND and yes, the gross per load is higher but so is the expense to put the same load with 5 axles. It was our experience that we did just as well with 5 axles as we did with 6 and 7. It is just my opinion, that's all it is.

Replied on Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 07:22 AM CST
I agree with Ed 100% with the 25ton and figure out your rate from there. Back in the day you use to figure out a rate off of 25ton and if you hauled more the more you made. Now the guys with all the axles start out at 30ton and figure out a rate. I have guys I know with all the axles and the extra weight shows it on there trucks. I get 300,000 miles on drive tires and 150,000 miles on steer tires. So the extra weight doesn't really do me any good, but that how I look at it.
Replied on Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 07:25 AM CST
Quote: "Call the dealer to get the cubic feet of the trailer your interested in and x that by the product weight per cubic foot and you have what you can haul. DDG is roughly 30 lbs/cf so you'd need roughly 2,200 cf heaped volume. Bean meal will be fine it's just a little lighter than grain."

Thank you, this Is the best most direct answer I've gotten to the question. I was wondering about specific hopper brands if anyone had a preference for hauling DGE, if anyone had experience with a Wilson 50 footer 102 wide trip axe. I suppose it's like Ford vs Chevy Vs Dodge. All a matter of preference. And your correct it's tuff to find a trailer over 2000 CF gotta heap 8t up there to get to the permitted 95K Thanks again for simply answering the question!
Replied on Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 07:26 AM CST
Quote: "I guess if you had the answers you were looking for, why ask the question? We are in ND and yes, the gross per load is higher but so is the expense to put the same load with 5 axles. It was our experience that we did just as well with 5 axles as we did with 6 and 7. It is just my opinion, that's all it is. "

The question was about how much net or gross wt people were loading of DGE in different brands and sizes of trailers. Specifically a 50 foot wilson, as i have never owned a wilson. Not a referendum on how many axles are good for the world. I appreciate your reply, all knowledge is good knowledge, I have 5 axle trucks also, they do ok for when they are running 80K gross loads. I would agree that you don't want all the extra axles on a 80K gross load, but then again the ride quality is just aooooo much better when you put that pusher down and carry any amount of wt over 3 axles on the trailer. It's way cheaper and easier to run 5 axle set ups. If 7 axles were easy, everyone would be doing it. Thanks
Replied on Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 08:52 AM CST
+ 2

I base all loads on 25 ton. What I put it in, is my business.

There is no such thing as a "Back haul Rate"

I had a high capacity Corn Husker, I won't have another.

I have had a couple Timpte hoppers, still have one.

I prefer my Wilson, similar to one you're asking about.

Replied on Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 01:37 PM CST
Quote: "I base all loads on 25 ton. What I put it in, is my business. There is no such thing as a "Back haul Rate" I had a high capacity Corn Husker, I won't have another. I have had a couple Timpte hoppers, still have one. I prefer my Wilson, similar to one you're asking about."

I have heard good things about wilson, they are quite a bit heavier than a cornhusker, but i agree im not a huge fan of the wide open design of the cornhusker, sometimes in a high wind pulling a empty cornhusker is like pulling it loaded! lol Dont know what a backhaul rate is? just try to find a load within 100 miles or so of the drop off and haul it back withing 100 miles or so of home base, is kinda the whole game. Direct customers is better than load board. I appreciate what you haul is your business.

thank you for actually answering the question, we have a person that prefers wilson over timpte and doesnt like conrhusker. May i ask what specifically you didnt like about the cornhusker? Ive had good luck with mine and really like the lightweight all aluminum set up. That said it does look to me like wilson and even timpte close off the outside better and the trailers are way more aero dynamic, i think that factors in even hauling bulk loads. Moybe we should start a best hopper brand thread?

thanks

Replied on Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 03:17 PM CST
+ 1

The Cornhusker was too light. It would develop cracks in the hopper, even after a factory update, and door replacements. I believe the design limits the use to commodities no more dense than grain. I haul calcium and other minerals. Besides, I think they're ugly. The Timpte that I have collects dust between the sidewalks. This eventually turns into a corrosive solid. It's hard on the structure and wiring. I believe that the Wilson Commander is a heavier duty trailer than the other options. That was important to me. The Eby trailers have gotten popular around here. They look nice but I had some concerns when I was shopping. The side panels are held on with 3M tape adhesive. Therefore, they provide no structural support, just lost payload. We've had issues with the tape on a cargo trailer, I do care to have that problem on a money maker. Also, the Eby lights are proprietary. You can't get them just anywhere.

Back Haul Rate - Sometimes a shipper or broker wants to pay less if they know or believe it is being used for a Backhaul. Once again, none of their business. I'll go home empty before I allow that kind of nonsense. But, there's always someone that will do it for nothing.