Home > Forum > NON PAYMENT

NON PAYMENT

Sep 15, 2010 at 08:56 AM CST
They should add a place on the website to list companies, or brokers that are not paying their freight bills. So we can all be warned, and not haul for nonpayers.
Replied on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:32 AM CST
Thanks for this great idea! I am actually working on a rating system for the next release and I can add this to it.

Here's what I have for the rating system so far. Please let me know if there is anything else that would be useful to add.
  • Description of Service
  • Days to pay
  • Overall Experience (Positive or Negative)
  • Feedback / Comments
  • Report of Non-Payment
Users will be able to search for companies, view their ratings and comment on the ratings. Ratings will also display next to shippers on the load board so you can get a quick idea of how reputable they are before calling on a load.

I really appreciate the idea and if anyone has feedback, please post!
Replied on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 03:47 PM CST
Quote: "Thanks for this great idea! I am actually working on a rating system for the next release and I can add this to it. Here's what I have for the rating system so far. Please let me know if there is anything else that would be useful to add. Description of Service Days to pay Overall Experience (Positive or Negative) Feedback / Comments Report of Non-Payment Users will be able to search for companies, view their ratings and comment on the ratings. Ratings will also display next to shippers on the load board so you can get a quick idea of how reputable they are before calling on a load. I really appreciate the idea and if anyone has feedback, please post!"

How will you know if the person making the statement is telling the truth about the non-payment? I would suggest anyone wanting to know about someone or a broker to use a credit check system, but maybe comments will make shippers and brokers pay timely..... my factoring service is Century Finance and they do credit checks for me free. I pay a fluctuating rate: like if they pay in 20 days or less it cost me 2%, if they pay in 30 days it cost me 3%, 40 days = 4%, and anything over 50 days = 5%. I'm very happy with their service. The credit checking has been a great big help. One of my friends hauled a load for someone that Century Finance told me not to haul for and my friend didn't get paid......... that load alone was $875.00. If anyone is interested in talking to them, contact me Stacey Durham at [email protected] or find me in the shippers/carriers list on hopperboard. I get $100.00 it you tell Century I sent you. I've sent two guys already and they are tickled too death with Alma Thomas and the quickness and helpfulness they give us. stacey durham
Replied on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 08:06 PM CST
I would think they would verify any claims of nonpayment before such things were posted.
Replied on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 08:20 PM CST
Quote: "I would think they would verify any claims of nonpayment before such things were posted."

Right on, Sean. I actually talked to TransCredit today about integrating their credit scoring system into this site. It sounds like they don't have many scores for companies in the bulk industry so the integration isn't going to be worthwhile. But they did tell me a little bit about how they develop their scores and they actually call each company that reports a non-payment to verify they are who they say they are and to make sure their claim is legitimate. I think they also allow the accused company to prove them wrong. Seems like a good system to follow.
Replied on Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:25 PM CST
Hey Matt I would really like you too add that service on the shippers I used to haul flatbed and the did the credit rating thing. Maybe you don't always know if the hauler is telling the truth but I found out that 99.99% of the time the info. was accurate I used to use a factoring company and they did tell you Their credit rating with a shipper but factoring company's make a living on US the haulers witch I cant afford I can borrow opp. money cheaper and get Full rate. factoring company's do serve their purpose but the more we can all work together the better off we all are.
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 07:24 AM CST

This is all good and everything, but what about the other side of the situation. What about trucking companies/brokerage companies who's trucks dont' pick up, and/or take a load and then at the last minute say they can't or they're not going to do the load?

Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:50 AM CST
Quote: " This is all good and everything, but what about the other side of the situation. What about trucking companies/brokerage companies who's trucks dont' pick up, and/or take a load and then at the last minute say they can't or they're not going to do the load?"

I think the easiest way is for everyone to have the same question when attempting to leave feedback, and that is, would you use this business, carrier, broker, shipper, etc. again? If the answer is yes, then a positive rating will be added. If the answer is no, or unsure(negative, or neutral rating), then a small, but specific list of reasons will be there for the individual desiring to leave feedback to choose from. Those reasons could include late, or nonpayment, shipment change without notice, late pickup, late delivery, no show, ruined product, and so on.
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:40 AM CST
Quote: " This is all good and everything, but what about the other side of the situation. What about trucking companies/brokerage companies who's trucks dont' pick up, and/or take a load and then at the last minute say they can't or they're not going to do the load?"

Good idea, but there are probably too many of those to keep track of.
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM CST
If the brokers and shippers would pay a decent rate, I doubt they would be getting very many loads dropped or turned back into them. If you are going to pay cheap rates, then you had better expect cheap service. You get what you pay for!
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM CST
Quote: "If the brokers and shippers would pay a decent rate, I doubt they would be getting very many loads dropped or turned back into them. If you are going to pay cheap rates, then you had better expect cheap service. You get what you pay for!"

If a truck agrees to take a load, then they should follow through with what they agreed to do, and do it well. If someone doesn't like the rate, then don't agree to haul the load.
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM CST
Quote: "If the brokers and shippers would pay a decent rate, I doubt they would be getting very many loads dropped or turned back into them. If you are going to pay cheap rates, then you had better expect cheap service. You get what you pay for!"

Maybe if Truckers would realize that they're not going to get the rates they were getting when fuel was $4/gallon it wouldn't be a problem. It's NOT you get what you pay for, it's the fact that there's very little honor in the trucking industry anymore.

Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM CST

There is Brokers that pay good rates, I know we do, but I agree there is a lot that do not, if truckers will just refuse to haul for cheap rates then just maybe shippers and brokers will start to pay better rates. I know I have happy truckers because, i keep them and they tell me that they are happy with out service. I think the big difference is that all our Brokers has been onwer operators before we started brokering.
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:24 PM CST
Quote: " Maybe if Truckers would realize that they're not going to get the rates they were getting when fuel was $4/gallon it wouldn't be a problem. It's NOT you get what you pay for, it's the fact that there's very little honor in the trucking industry anymore."

I don't remember freight rates ever getting to where they should have been when fuel was $4/gal. If the rates had kept up with fuel prices, there would not have been so many trucks that could not afford to buy fuel. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.
Replied on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:34 PM CST

Maybe you were hauling for the wrong people. The people we haul for were offering in most (not all) cases rates substantially higher than they are now. I don't think that dropping it as much as they did was fair but life isn't fair. It could be worse, there are people out there trying to move loads west to east paying $1.05/mile. Those people are the ones that should be put out of business. I know we did pay our truckers the best we can, we do currently, and will continue to do so.

Replied on Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 01:03 PM CST
Those people who try to get freight moved for $1.05 per mile will keep doing it as long as they keep finding trucks who will do it for that low of a rate. We won't haul for that, but there are enough out there that will.
Replied on Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 05:03 PM CST
Quote: "If a truck agrees to take a load, then they should follow through with what they agreed to do, and do it well. If someone doesn't like the rate, then don't agree to haul the load. "

So i guess you expect a guy who gets paid $8.00 per hour to dig a ditch line to dig as hard and fast as a guy who gets paid $24,00 per hour to dig the same ditch??? Are you nuts? Sounds like you are a good motivational coach though!!!! ha ha
Replied on Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 05:16 PM CST
Quote: "Those people who try to get freight moved for $1.05 per mile will keep doing it as long as they keep finding trucks who will do it for that low of a rate. We won't haul for that, but there are enough out there that will."

Yeah and it's bc brokers get there hands on loads that came from a broker that got it from another broker , who got it from another broker that got it after the trucking company that usually hauls it couldn't haul it all!!!!!!! LMAO!!! Am I right or wrong? Please only truck owners and drivers reply!!!! ha ha
Replied on Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM CST
Quote: "So i guess you expect a guy who gets paid $8.00 per hour to dig a ditch line to dig as hard and fast as a guy who gets paid $24,00 per hour to dig the same ditch??? Are you nuts? Sounds like you are a good motivational coach though!!!! ha ha"

As long as no one is forcing him to dig the ditch for $8/hr, then it is his choice. If he doesn't like it he can go elsewhere. If you don't do a good job for $8, you won't do good at $24 either. I bet the guy who gets $24/hr use to only make $8/hr. My point was, which apparently you missed, if you agree to a load and the rate, then you better deliver on your agreement.
Replied on Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 07:36 AM CST
I agree that if you agree to take a load, no matter the rate, then you should do your best. You have made the choice to take it - no one forced you. When it comes down to it, if you do a poor job on a load, it is your name that gets put down. The question is, if the rate is that low should you be taking the load in the first place? The more low-rate loads that get hauled, the more there will be.
Replied on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM CST
I agree with you Sean.
Replied on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 02:47 PM CST
Quote: "I agree that if you agree to take a load, no matter the rate, then you should do your best. You have made the choice to take it - no one forced you. When it comes down to it, if you do a poor job on a load, it is your name that gets put down. The question is, if the rate is that low should you be taking the load in the first place? The more low-rate loads that get hauled, the more there will be."

I agree and I shouldn't have been so hard on Sean. It just bothers me to hear brokers or brokers workers saying things like motivational speakers say. I see guys that don't figure in the high costs of equipment replacement and etc. and then break their necks getting these cheap loads delivered for someone who makes sure they have a new farm tractor, new home, new car, new pickup truck, extended vacations, nights at home in bed with wife or hubby, and on, and on, and on. It's amazing how one-sided situations can become. Yes, we have the choice of what we haul, and yes we don't have to do certain loads just because someone is trying to attain all of the above on our dollar and sweat.... You are right, but it doesn't really make me want to call a driver who doesn't try his best on one of these one sided deals lazy or dishonest. I actually think he may be onto the scheme of things more than most might think. If you are a broker or brokers helper then I'm sure you are going to lean more towards the hard manual labor.
Replied on Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 06:19 PM CST
Quote: "I agree and I shouldn't have been so hard on Sean. It just bothers me to hear brokers or brokers workers saying things like motivational speakers say. I see guys that don't figure in the high costs of equipment replacement and etc. and then break their necks getting these cheap loads delivered for someone who makes sure they have a new farm tractor, new home, new car, new pickup truck, extended vacations, nights at home in bed with wife or hubby, and on, and on, and on. It's amazing how one-sided situations can become. Yes, we have the choice of what we haul, and yes we don't have to do certain loads just because someone is trying to attain all of the above on our dollar and sweat.... You are right, but it doesn't really make me want to call a driver who doesn't try his best on one of these one sided deals lazy or dishonest. I actually think he may be onto the scheme of things more than most might think. If you are a broker or brokers helper then I'm sure you are going to lean more towards the hard manual labor."

I'm not a broker, or affiliated with one in any way. I own and operate one truck.
Replied on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM CST
Quote: "I agree and I shouldn't have been so hard on Sean. It just bothers me to hear brokers or brokers workers saying things like motivational speakers say. I see guys that don't figure in the high costs of equipment replacement and etc. and then break their necks getting these cheap loads delivered for someone who makes sure they have a new farm tractor, new home, new car, new pickup truck, extended vacations, nights at home in bed with wife or hubby, and on, and on, and on. It's amazing how one-sided situations can become. Yes, we have the choice of what we haul, and yes we don't have to do certain loads just because someone is trying to attain all of the above on our dollar and sweat.... You are right, but it doesn't really make me want to call a driver who doesn't try his best on one of these one sided deals lazy or dishonest. I actually think he may be onto the scheme of things more than most might think. If you are a broker or brokers helper then I'm sure you are going to lean more towards the hard manual labor."

I am a farmer and a truck owner. I don't have new farm tractors, or take extended vacations. I have been out in the truck myself, and I have had a driver. We have worked with brokers, and we have worked to find the loads ourselves. I don't mean to even indicate that I know it all. On the contrary, I have a lot to learn. I do know this - you have to work hard to build a good reputation, and not very hard to build a bad one. If you agree to take a load, you should do your very best. As the truck owner you are the one that has to figure in the cost of equipment replacement, not your broker. If a load is too cheap, don't take it! We have worked with several brokers and we have our favorite. There are brokers out there who will look out for you, the truck owner. They know that their success depends on truckers who do a good job. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but as long as there are truckers who will do the cheap loads, there will be more cheap loads to do,
Replied on Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:57 PM CST
Quote: "If a truck agrees to take a load, then they should follow through with what they agreed to do, and do it well. If someone doesn't like the rate, then don't agree to haul the load. "

So then if a broker or shipper orders a truck and doesn't load it then the broker or shipper would follow through and pay the truck as if it hauled the load. After all they asked to have the truck haul the load for them and I doubt anyone held a gun to their head or anything! Hell it would be nice to just get our cost covered, that never happens, your lucky if your even offered a load to B F E.
Replied on Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM CST
Quote: "So then if a broker or shipper orders a truck and doesn't load it then the broker or shipper would follow through and pay the truck as if it hauled the load. After all they asked to have the truck haul the load for them and I doubt anyone held a gun to their head or anything! Hell it would be nice to just get our cost covered, that never happens, your lucky if your even offered a load to B F E."

that is exactly what I was wanted to get across to these ppl, just needed the help of an experienced owner/operator to express this double-sided deal that never has the deal working in the favor of the man that owns the equipment to begin with... thanks
Replied on Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM CST
Quote: "As long as no one is forcing him to dig the ditch for $8/hr, then it is his choice. If he doesn't like it he can go elsewhere. If you don't do a good job for $8, you won't do good at $24 either. I bet the guy who gets $24/hr use to only make $8/hr. My point was, which apparently you missed, if you agree to a load and the rate, then you better deliver on your agreement."

You have the answers, don't you?
Replied on Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 03:46 PM CST
Quote: "As long as no one is forcing him to dig the ditch for $8/hr, then it is his choice. If he doesn't like it he can go elsewhere. If you don't do a good job for $8, you won't do good at $24 either. I bet the guy who gets $24/hr use to only make $8/hr. My point was, which apparently you missed, if you agree to a load and the rate, then you better deliver on your agreement."

I just sat at Natl. Starch in Indy for 14 hours waiting on a load for a shipper/broker, and, are you threatening me Sean n???? LOL! Just kiddin! I don't take it well when someone tells me I had better do something or else, What? Your name in this business is more important to the one's that are good and that is a fact!!!!
Replied on Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 10:16 AM CST
Quote: "I just sat at Natl. Starch in Indy for 14 hours waiting on a load for a shipper/broker, and, are you threatening me Sean n???? LOL! Just kiddin! I don't take it well when someone tells me I had better do something or else, What? Your name in this business is more important to the one's that are good and that is a fact!!!! "

Who told you that "you better do something, or else"?
Replied on Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 01:51 PM CST
Quote: "Who told you that "you better do something, or else"?"

that guy sean n..... he's projecting a picture of an owner operator doing everything possible for a broker in order for that middle man to stay in the middle...where he doesn't really belong anyway...
Replied on Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 07:39 AM CST

Stacy
I am glad that the factoring service you use works for you. But here in the real world giving up 2 to 7% of my profit margin is way to expensive. I deal strictly with good reputable proven brokers/shippers. If the broker/shipper doesn't pay within a 3 week time period I simply limit the amount of loads I book from them. Some never get a load hauled for them agian reguardless of freight rate. I will gladly support a RATING SYSTEM. And yes I agree truth is key but why would someone lie about not getting paid is beyond me.

Replied on Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 07:40 PM CST

are there any really good proven brokers in missouri? i'm looking for one that pays good rates and doesnt make you wait 2 weeks or more to get paid. sometimes them fuel bills come in and need paid before the paycheck comes. who can help me out there? thanks guys.