Home > Forum > ELD Discussion

ELD Discussion

Mar 17, 2016 at 04:05 PM CST
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 07:03 AM CST
Oh Brent, okay I watch the video of this morning over coffee if you're looking for opinion here's mine the three men that are sitting at the table apparently don't have a clue how our sector of the industry works and you know this no one in our sector want anything to do with this I can possibly see very very bad things getting ready to happen in the agriculture business when the ELD come into place I hope everybody has their pennies saved up because it's not going to be pretty for about the first year. Things I'm looking at i load 4 or 5 times per week and it takes approximately 2 to 4 hours by the time I weigh in scale-out at both ends plus I have to drive about 8 hours every day even though at this point I am 100% in compliance with the hours of service once all these come into play it will be virtually impossible to do half the amount of work that I have been doing that simply because of all the red tape that we will have to go through on the computer I have been experimenting with it since last November I can only work approximately 9 hours per day on a good day on the ELD now even though I can log 14 the ELD will not allow me to do it we are in deep shit
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:03 AM CST
I agree, what does not make sense to me is that these law makers are looking at one part of the industry (DV/Refeer) and the Ag trucking is SO much different (I have worked on both sides of this coin). Ag trucks sitting in line waiting to be unloaded, especially at some of the slower unload facilities such as the transloading locations, you are blowing hours, these hours I don't believe should count towards your HOS if you are not driving. I understand that you may or may not be awake during these wait times (I know a few guys who take naps while they have their 2-4 hour wait). I just don't believe that this particularly helps the small companies and O/O out there in our industry. However, this is just my opinion which really doesn't count for much...
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:15 AM CST
Last August an attorney friend of mine in Kansas City Missouri told me that they are making a website as we speak when the ELDS come into effect they're going to be filing individual and class action lawsuits for companies and its drivers for all the wait time that we're not getting paid now that we can document it since were forced to be on GPS I don't know how good it's going to go over but we are in for a rude awakening here real quick. I have pondered the idea of buying an older truck and sticking 50 or $75,000 in it so I do not have to be compliant with the ELDS buthow long can you do that. Things I'm looking at right now for instance we are in the peek of fertilizer season if men are made to run ELDS there will be no one picking up fertilizer unless they have an old truck because it is virtually impossible to drive there sit in line and wait drive back to where you need to go and then unload for one or two or three hours at these old facilities either the rates are going to go through the roof that nobody is going to use fertilizer there's just so many things that are getting ready to happen a lot of people just aren't thinking and I don't believe the government is thinking. When they introduce the speed limiters at whatever speed it's going to be and we have to be on Eld that's really going to throw a big loop into it I don't mind being compliant that doesn't bother me to change but I better get paid for it. Maybe ask a couple of your good guys to run a app on their phone and compare what's going on you will be amazed at how inefficient we are going to be in our agriculture sector. One thing I did pick up on in the video is when we are off duty as long as it is our truck and trailer and we're running under our own authority we can do that as Leisure Time so questions I have is if I'm empty I will be on Leisure Time one hundred percent of the time how long is that going to last before they catch on to it. If I am logged in as leisure time and I buy fuel do I have to login simply because I am on leisure time and at that point if I am on a leisure time it is no one's business what I'm doing those are all going to be arguments
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 09:13 AM CST
I sat on the side of the road for at least an 1.5 hours while the DOT tried to figure out how to get me for a logbook violation. I was logging off duty but pulling a load. The truck was in my personal name leased onto our company pulling a company trailer. All the paperwork had the same name: Barraza. I was moving back to Corpus Christi and had the pup van loaded down with belongings, the officer could even see my deer mounts and other belongings piled up in the sleeper. He pulled me over for speeding, something like 68 in a 60. This was back when TX had split speed limits on farm to market roads. We had a lengthy discussion about using the truck for personal use and logging. He kept going on about going from home to Dallas as personal use then taking a load in Dallas. He completely failed to see just what I was doing. He made his case and I made mine. He looked in his FMCSA book and couldn't come up with a definitive answer to cite me on. In the end I got a ticket for speeding and a log violation. I think he took that ticket and sat on it doing research about the log violation as it was never turned into the court by the appearance deadline and I got out of the ticket by luck. This was about 13 years ago. I can assure you if the DOT was already looking at personal conveyance (leisure time) with scrutiny then they will look even harder at it once ELDs are mandated and in use. You'll probably get away with it till the first roadside inspection and/or audit.
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 09:47 AM CST
I got a ticket this past January because I could not print the ELD log on my phone they gave me an hour of service violation simply because I could not print it, our company is currently suing DoT we might not get anywhere with it but screw em
Since 1999 and older trucks are able to run once this goes into effect I'm sitting here pondering while I'm waiting to get unloaded if the old Outlaw Truck days are getting ready to come back because those that are not required to have a ELD simply because they have an older truck are going to be able to do many many things that nobody else is going to be simply because they can lie on their comic book
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM CST
That's interesting. I recently asked a TX DOT friend of ours about ELDs and printing and was told that we don't need to be able to print if we can email them. I asked because I'm starting to use an app on my iPad to log with. Not going to run the app on my phone, not a chance in hell I'm going to turn that over at an inspection and open myself up to further scrutiny. I know it's not going to be exactly like an ELD that's mandated but wanted to get experience doing it should we have to convert our fleet in the future. Hoping the intrastate exemption stays the same for us, if so we're good to go. We have mostly older drivers and some are very computer illiterate so you can see the possible troubles we might face in training, not to mention the costs involved. I don't have a printer in my truck but can email upon demand. He told me he doesn't like to deal with electronic logs and doesn't even mess with them. I figure if others are like him and I hand over my IPad they'll hand it right back. Keep the stops short and sweet is the plan.
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM CST
Yes they are interpreting the laws as they so see fit. On my violation report it stated that I had ELD but could not print them, they also put on the ticket that she would not physically touch my device due to ligalities. Then put me out of service for ten hours. Ooida and 3 other attorneys agreed to take my case at no cost to my company. Currently they have filed 7 lawsuits including one directly at the officer. My wife was there to verify it and is a current witness. This is a bad deal but I am not gonna be a victim of this crap. My wife is currently preparing a website to keep the people updated. They refuse so far to set a trial date and we absolutely refuse to allow them to drop charges. God America is awesome
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 02:08 PM CST
My truck is an 88 and I'm just not yet convinced I'm going to get out of it. Seems way too easy. Even if this whole thing does go through the way it is now I really don't think it will be long before we are forced to use them. There isn't a single computer on my B model CAT to plug into but they can always just enforce us to buy a gps and log with it. I recently started a local gig and although the money isn't as good I'm too scared to walk away from it with the threat of elogs... Let's just keep hoping and praying OOIDA wins the battle against them and gets it thrown out again before 2017
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 03:21 PM CST
Mike, I am on a contract account that will last for many years , hopefully. My wife and I have been wanting to buy a new truck since last year, but with the ELD, kind foolish to buy, if the government is not going to let us make enough money to afford it.
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 04:14 PM CST

Hi scott. i got a ticket in md. for not being able to print out the last 7 days duty rods. if you look in the green and white book there is a paragraph in there that says if you are running a log on a phone i pad or any mobile device you have to be able to print out the duty rods in your truck on demand. it sucks but that is what the courts said also wheni fought the ticket. if you want to run a log on a mobile device i suggest you get a printer in the truck to use.

Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:56 PM CST
Well from what I have read about the mandate is that when it goes into effect that they will have to be connected to the ecm of your motor or they will not be compliant which would make the apps on your phone nonCompliant unless somebody makes a way for them to communicate
Replied on Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 05:26 AM CST
Does anyone have any information about apollo eld https://eld.gurtam.com/? My company is looking for an eld solution and I would like to hear what everyone here is using.
At the moment we choose between keeptrucking and apollo. But our company is quite small and keeptrucking offers really high prices.
On the other hand apollo seems to be not so popular among vehicle companies.
Replied on Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 08:30 AM CST
I use KeepTruckin and it?s only $120 a year.