Home > Forum > Standard Detainage Rates For Hopper Bottoms

Standard detainage rates for hopper bottoms

Oct 31, 2018 at 06:36 AM CST
+ 1
I was told by a broker that the standard in hopper bottom hauling is to expect two hour waits to load and unload. I just pulled a first load for a broker company, here is what I found to be the actual time it took. Loading- 2 hours wait time 500 mile trip Unloading- 4.75 hours to unload ( time I entered gate to time I left) Reloading- 2.5 hours ( actual time entered/exit) 400 mile trip Unloading- no delay Dead Head back to reload 200 miles(4 hours) That means I had 13.25 hrs of non productive time out of the 33 possible hours I could work in 3 days. Is this the industry standard for bulk hauling?
Replied on Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 08:28 AM CST
Not saying its right but that's about the way it is in real life.
Replied on Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 09:31 AM CST
And that is consider good in this industry.
Replied on Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:45 PM CST
+ 2 - 1
2 hours on either end is standard, with detention needing to be paid after that. Typically $60-75hr.
When I bid a load or lane, I bid off of “total time on truck”, using 2 hours on either end + drive time. So for example, if a load takes 2 hours to load and 2 hours to drive and 2 hours to unload, I need $600 for that load which comes out to $100/hr.
Replied on Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 09:08 PM CST
+ 9
I just don’t get it!!! Why would you care what a broker thinks about detention or rates? Why would you run your truck for a 1.66? That’s what’s wrong with this whole industry most don’t even know what it cost to run a truck or the difference between running mile or loaded mile. I see and here people talking about running 3000 to 3500 miles week for 5000 to 5500 this just kills me when I here it. Why wouldn’t you run 2000 to 2500 miles for 5000 to 6500? Why would you want to work 14 hours a day to make living when the rest of the world works 40/50 hours and off on the weekends? The biggest problem is not brokers but the truck setting next to you he or she will cut the rate in a heartbeat just to get the freight. We the owners of our business hold the cards but we are afraid to play them. I have been in the business for 39 years I have paid a lot of dues over the years but now have learned how to collect on those dues. Tell the broker what your rates are and quit hauling cheap freight no your cost because a broker doesn’t run your business you do. Good luck and God bless!!!
Replied on Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 06:13 AM CST
+ 2
I don't see anywhere anything being mentioned about freight rates apparently he appears to be happy with that. What the issue is is pulling into a place to unload and there are 4 trucks in front of you and it takes 1hr per truck. Does that really have anything to do with the rate? Detention time or not it still doesn't compare to what your truck could be making. We need to stand up and say no to any place that can't unload in a timely fashion. Oh and wait I got empty 15min before shift change and where did the union employee go? Now I'm waiting empty (to be weighed out) on top of it all.
Replied on Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 08:37 AM CST
+ 3
Do the math 600.00 Divided by 60 = 1.66. 60 being an average of mph at 2.00 per mile that’s 120.00 per hour why would you except less than you can make while driving. Truck should make at least 1200 to1500 per day depending on miles. Learn the business are run cheap it’s up to you.
Replied on Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 11:18 AM CST
+ 2
Ronnie, Your reply is spot on and people who own trucks really do need to look at their numbers and charge the correct rates then the Hopper business would be profitable and a person could actually afford to replace equipment as needed.

Thank you,

Pat
Replied on Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 07:02 AM CST
Last time I checked 600.00 ÷ 60 = 1.00
Replied on Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 07:54 AM CST
+ 3
I always thought 600 divided by 60 was 10.
Replied on Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 01:29 PM CST
Quote: "Last time I checked 600.00 ÷ 60 = 1.00"

I was talking with one of my brokers who also runs some trucks in Japan. Not only are they really good at math over there, but it sounds like the rates are way better. I don't understand all of the differences, but it appears mainly just the metric system?

If we push for kilometers instead of miles I think we woud all benefit.

Replied on Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 04:21 PM CST
+ 1
That's a real interesting point Russ. I always get worse rates the larger the unit of measure. Per ton i make nuthin, per pound is where it pays.
Replied on Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 04:21 PM CST
Sorry, it should have been 100.00 per hr divide by 60 mph = 1.66
Replied on Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 02:09 PM CST
Quote: "Ronnie, Your reply is spot on and people who own trucks really do need to look at their numbers and charge the correct rates then the Hopper business would be profitable and a person could actually afford to replace equipment as needed.Thank you,Pat"

I just got beat on rates hauling corn they asked for a bid on a 130 mile haul. I bid it at .63 a bushel
1100 bushels legal other company bid .38 per bushel 800 legal bushels. They hauled 6 loads they quit. I was asked if I would cut my rate I told them I would do it for .38 if they bought all expenses based on 1.67 per mile actual cost. No call back yet
i can fit a lot in the box at 6.00. A mile one way
Replied on Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 08:19 AM CST
why would you enter a section of freight that equals the scum of the earth? bottom feeders and bottom unloaders there so much the same and I can assure you that wait times with a hopper are as sure as taxes and death.
Replied on Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 08:19 AM CST
I should add if you pull any ardent loads you usually find yourself praying for the end of the world to come swiftly
Replied on Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 04:05 PM CST
No different all over they will. Hold check for 21 working days or they offer quick pay for 3-5%
so they collect extra money on all pay outs
Replied on Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 12:38 PM CST
Screw that don't run your truck under $2 a mile Dam it driver
Replied on Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 08:23 AM CST
I grew up in trucking industry
My grandfather and dad always told me if it cost u a dollar and a quarter to make a dollar then u need to find something else to do in life. And stand your ground...other people dont care about you only them self's and how they can line their pockets off your hard work...so I tell them real quick how the rabbit ate the cabbage and the carrot on their cut throat rates.