Home > Forum > Dispatcher Needing Advice

Dispatcher Needing Advice

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:15 PM CST
+ 7 - 3
Hey Everyone!!

I trained under someone else doing independent dispatch services for owner operators. One driver that I have providing dispatch services to is happy with my work and has given me his opinion on building my logistics company. I have learned to preplan all his loads in advance so his is not waiting for load. I have heard his opinion but would like to hear from other drivers as well.

1. Do you prefer working with dispatcher or taking the time to book your own loads?
2. What can a dispatch do to make your job easier?
3. What you further pay flat rate or percentage per load?
4. What you rather have a dispatcher that workers with brokers, shippers or combination of both?
5. What services do you want most from your dispatcher?
6. If you are currently booking your own loads or using dispatch service. What would take for you change to use my dispatch services?
7. Where would you recommend that I advertise my dispatch services to owner operators?

· Any advice that you can share is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Replied on Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM CST
+ 2 - 5
This is not a good place to ask that question you'll get the truth but you're not going to like it. #1 one don't freaking lie
# 2 don't bullshit us
#3 if it is not your genuine load such as a contract dont worry about giving it to us because we can get it ourself
I had a guy call me last fall wanted to start working with me I have started working with him in the past and we worked very well together, but he was an employee of a company. He went out late last fall and got his brokerage authority I thought everything was going to go smooth, he had no contacts to get good paying loads, I am an independent, I don't work for cheap. Come to find out all the loads that he was getting was coming from my contacts that I gave them to help get him started. Then I caught him lying to me twice, he must have thought I was one of the jerk off owner operators. I never did say anything to him I just went about my business, I am currently doing the loads that I gave him to do he was trying to take too much off the top and lying to a couple of this, he must think that we don't talk to each other, he is no longer wanted or needed has been proven to be a typical broker piece of s*** like the rest of them I've never met an honest man that was a broker that lasted over 2 or 3 months they all end up being lying piece of shit. They all start off with good intentions but then I think that can fool us and get away with it but they fail to realize one thing I have something they don't that is trucks and equipment and I get up in the morning and go to work. I commonly hear that not all brokers are bad but it my 21.5 years of being a truck driver I have never met one that can look you straight in the face or shake your hand with integrity they all start off good but in the end they all either get caught lying or they lie and don't care or they don't pay you order just typical pieces of s***. So come on brokers let's hear how I'm a hater which I am I do admit that but this is just my personal opinion
Replied on Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 03:12 PM CST
+ 4 - 1
Latrell, I would STRONGLY advise you to go back and read ALL of the forum threads refering to brokers. You will find that Jason W is very vocal about his opinions and there are some who admit there are good brokers out there that work very hard for the truckers. I do agree with jason that this may not have been the best forum to ask that question in.
Replied on Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 05:58 PM CST
Mr. Nolte, thanks for being n8ce, as usual. I would hope someday to find a honest broker to work with on a continuous basis, we can never give up. If it ever comes to be , I like my steak medium .
Replied on Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 03:12 PM CST
+ 4
As a fellow dispatcher (not a broker but I dispatch for a couple of different companies), I can tell you what my drivers like. I'm sure others will agree. I also second what the others said about being honest and fair.

1. Do you prefer working with dispatcher or taking the time to book your own loads? - Mine prefer to pay a reasonable amount to get their loads booked for them and to handle the hassles of bad p/u numbers, cancelled loads, etc. As one of my guys says, "I just want to drive".

2. What can a dispatch do to make your job easier? Here's the biggie - give them INFO! Don't just say they need to pick up at Gavilon KC. Give them a verified address, phone number, directions when necessary, loading/unloading hours, broker name, and any special instructions like overnight parking available or stop at the scale at such and such.
3. What you further pay flat rate or percentage per load? Mine prefer % but I'm sure every driver is different.
4. What you rather have a dispatcher that workers with brokers, shippers or combination of both? I don't think they care as long as the rates are good, cancellations rare, and detention is paid when it should be.
5. What services do you want most from your dispatcher? For mine it's all about the info. and getting good loads. My drivers are making about double of what some of the larger companies are getting their drivers because they don't have to wait for loads, call for info, and I don't cap them at a certain amount. If I can get them a $5000-$6000 week, I do it regardless of what anyone else has made for the week. I'm accountable to each driver individually, not just as a group.
6. If you are currently booking your own loads or using dispatch service. What would take for you change to use my dispatch services? :) I'll leave that one alone.
7. Where would you recommend that I advertise my dispatch services to owner operators? I really don't know on this.

I do wish you luck. If you can provide a service that actually HELPS the drivers rather than perpetuates the same old crap they're getting everywhere else, you're doing a good thing.
Replied on Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 04:48 PM CST
Thank you for your feedback

Replied on Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 04:48 PM CST
Thank you for your feedback
Replied on Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 09:18 PM CST
+ 1
I have done the dispatch service for various carrier friends of mine. It works for us short term until they find the magic customer that they need. There is an advantage to using one that is fighting for each and every dollar they can get you. Here is the funny thing I have yet to cash any of the checks my guys sent me, I guess I was just doing it for fun. I figured that I was already moving my own trucks and what the heck was a couple of more here and there. I always preferred the flat rate per week for my administrative services. Works better like that so nobody could ever accuse me of illegally brokering freight. Things have been entirely too busy for me to mess with such anymore with the new organization that I and some other carriers formed, I am spending more time in meetings with my fellow carriers that are excited about what is starting to happen. I wish the best of luck to those that are dispatching for carriers in the current market. That is really a chore to do, it must be depressing to hear the same old crap about the load pays this and so and so will do it cheaper. I have always wondered just who so and so was until I started seeing their trucks and trailers pulling that cheap freight all the time. My operators have made a joke of it and started sending me pictures of the crappy trucks that are going down the highway right now. I have one of those as well that just got a dinger on it in December, but it is coming to the shop to get a new hood, and paint job over the next couple of weeks. Maybe some of those others out there are the same and wait until winter is over to do the body work. When we start seeing bald tires, ripped up tarps on the hoppers, lights not working, bent frame members, leaking wheel seals. We stay as far away from those truck and trailers as possible. The equipment is always the first to take the hit when the trucker is being starved out. I want all of you to think about this, when you starved out those truckers and they end up driving for the Mega's, those are the ones that now have an attitude against trucking for the rest of their lives. I heard these stories when I was a Mega driver, and those drivers were the worst ones of the group, much worse then the newbs. To all you dispatch services make sure you take care of your carriers because if you don't then you won't have any.
Replied on Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:09 PM CST
Quote: "As a fellow dispatcher (not a broker but I dispatch for a couple of different companies), I can tell you what my drivers like. I'm sure others will agree. I also second what the others said about being honest and fair. 1. Do you prefer working with dispatcher or taking the time to book your own loads? - Mine prefer to pay a reasonable amount to get their loads booked for them and to handle the hassles of bad p/u numbers, cancelled loads, etc. As one of my guys says, "I just want to drive". 2. What can a dispatch do to make your job easier? Here's the biggie - give them INFO! Don't just say they need to pick up at Gavilon KC. Give them a verified address, phone number, directions when necessary, loading/unloading hours, broker name, and any special instructions like overnight parking available or stop at the scale at such and such. 3. What you further pay flat rate or percentage per load? Mine prefer % but I'm sure every driver is different. 4. What you rather have a dispatcher that workers with brokers, shippers or combination of both? I don't think they care as long as the rates are good, cancellations rare, and detention is paid when it should be. 5. What services do you want most from your dispatcher? For mine it's all about the info. and getting good loads. My drivers are making about double of what some of the larger companies are getting their drivers because they don't have to wait for loads, call for info, and I don't cap them at a certain amount. If I can get them a $5000-$6000 week, I do it regardless of what anyone else has made for the week. I'm accountable to each driver individually, not just as a group. 6. If you are currently booking your own loads or using dispatch service. What would take for you change to use my dispatch services? :) I'll leave that one alone. 7. Where would you recommend that I advertise my dispatch services to owner operators? I really don't know on this. I do wish you luck. If you can provide a service that actually HELPS the drivers rather than perpetuates the same old crap they're getting everywhere else, you're doing a good thing."

Well said Dustin
Replied on Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 08:02 AM CST

The preference for working with a dispatcher versus booking your own loads can vary depending on the driver. Some drivers prefer the convenience of having a dispatcher handle the load booking and paperwork, while others prefer to have more control over their schedule and prefer to book their own loads.

A dispatch can make a driver's job easier by providing clear and timely communication about available loads, negotiating fair rates with brokers and shippers, and handling the administrative tasks involved in load booking and tracking.

Whether a flat rate or percentage per load is more preferable can depend on the driver's business model and individual preferences. Some drivers may prefer the stability of a flat rate, while others may prefer the potential for higher earnings with a percentage-based model.

It can be beneficial for a dispatcher to work with both brokers and shippers, as this can provide a wider range of load options and increase the likelihood of finding the best rates and routes.

Drivers may appreciate dispatchers who provide detailed load information, are responsive to their needs and concerns, and communicate effectively throughout the load booking and delivery process.

To convince drivers to switch to your dispatch service, it may be helpful to offer competitive rates, provide clear and transparent communication, and build a reputation for reliability and professionalism.

Advertising your dispatch services to owner operators can be done through a variety of channels, such as social media, online forums, industry events, and word-of-mouth referrals.

In general, building a successful logistics company requires a deep understanding of the trucking industry, a commitment to providing high-quality services, and a willingness to adapt and innovate in response to changing market conditions. Good luck with your business venture!

Replied on Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 08:45 AM CST

if brokers were held to the same standard that dispaychers need to be to be successful ...where is the need for dispatch service?

if the broker can not cover the load or build trust with the carrier or carriers needed to keep him paid shouldnt he or she need to find another job?

if the shipper can not find a good reliable broker they should hire a dispatcher that has their interest first and formost

if a carrier can not find a shipper maybe hire someone who can and keep your trucks interest first and formost

for smaller companies like me with 5 +/- trucks maybe a couple of these smaller guys chip in and pay someone to find a shipper that needs more trucks than someone like me can handle

but hire someone ...to me thats better than using a broker or dispatcher that could hand your shipper off to another carrier to make more money finding someone to haul my frieght cheaper than i can or cheaper than i will

with a broker or dispatch service (in my opinion and mine alone) if you are using a service you do not own you are one mishap or rough conversation away from needing to find another one while scrambling to load your trucks

i dont think it would be that hard to build a relationship with a couple of carriers there are good and bad carriers there are good and bad brokers there are good and bad shippers i believe you will have to weed out good and bad on both ends shippers and carriers ( its like marriage nothing better than a good one ...nothing worse than a bad one)

what carrier doesnt want a good trustworthy shipper

what shipper doesnt want a good trustworthy carrier

what carrier doesnt want a good trustworthy driver

what shipper doesnt want a good trustworthy logistics dept

who wants it to be a fist fight every day

this isnt easy... none of it is ...but i think too many people in the chain makes it harder to keep it moving smooth when you have a shipper ...broker...dispatcher..(either O/O or trucking company) with a trucking company you have a whole new set of people ...company owner...maybe inhouse dispatcher ...driver and then throw some managers or multiple dispatchers in the mix

the chain of communication is strained from the beginning

Replied on Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:04 PM CST
+ 1

I can't seem to find any reason to hire someone to do something I can do myself. I know all dispatchers say they fight for every dollar. I guarantee we fight for every dollar on every load we haul. NO ONE can possibly look out for our business better than us. All that aside, giving a dispatch service the benefit of the doubt that they do fight for every dollar, you have no choice, because after you negotiate a rate from the same broker I can negotiate with, you get a cut, which in the end brings your outstanding rate right back to normal. There is no way a dispatch service can get a better than market rate for a carrier that will pay enough to justify the dispatch fee. So, in the end the final rate to the carrier is less than what they coulld get on their own. Booking loads, chasing money, and doing the billing is part of being an owner operator. If people don't want to do that part, they should lease on with a carrier.