Home > Forum > Ballpark/Range Cost To Move 3,500 4,000 Gallons Wine (Not For Consumption) ~ 75 Miles?

Ballpark/range cost to move 3,500-4,000 gallons wine (not for consumption) ~ 75 miles?

Apr 24, 2020 at 02:30 PM CST

Hi all,

1) Never shipped / organized liquid via tanker before. Looking to understand the (ballpark) cost of getting 3,500-4k gallons of wine moved from point a to point b. About 71.5 miles according to google. Central Virginia (charlottesville area to richmond area).

Wine is not meant for consumption: it would be converted into hand sanitizer (pickup at winery, delivery to distillery).

Can anyone give me a general sense of what this kind of transport would cost?

2) What is the "break point volume" for choosing between shipping liquid via 1,000L totes in a truck, vs. tossing it in a tanker? For example, if I have 3,000 liters (~800 gallons) or so that I want to move, my *assumption* is that it's best to use (3) 1,000 liter totes and toss them on a truck -- my question is, at what volume does it "generally" make more sense to put the liquid in a tanker? Im assuming that it probably depends on a number of factors...but in general, is there a rule of thumb that could be followed or assumed ("never ship by a tanker unless you can fill it all the way"), or is it always going to be a case-by-case decision?

Thanks in advance!

-Allan

Replied on Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:51 AM CST

I move wine out of CA in totes 3 X a week, I move hand sanitizer 20+ loads a week out of NY to everywhere in the US. I would do totes, 275 gallons in IBC totes and you can move 18 at a time @ 42,000#. Call me at 304-964-3950 and I can give you options and trucks.

Thanks

John