Home > Forum > FLATBEDS Or STEP DECKS ANYONE? 190 LOADS $1000 /310 MILES

FLATBEDS or STEP DECKS ANYONE? 190 LOADS $1000 /310 MILES

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:56 AM CST
+ 1 - 5

****TRUCKS NEEDED IMMEDIATLY*****

I HAVE 190 LOADS

FORT WAYNE INDIANA TO FRANKLIN PA BEGINNING TOMORROW WED AUGUST 1 - FLATBEDS AND STEP DECKS ONLY

STARTING WITH 5 LOADS PER DAY -

MUST SCALE 46000# RAILROAD MATERIAL - NO TARP

310 MILES $1000

ANYONE WITH A FLATBEDS OR STEP DECKS PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY.

IF YOU KNOW OF SOMEONE HAVE THEM CALL US

I AM WORKING ON BACK HAULS AS WELL

316 440 4676
316 380 0417

KELLY
KING OF FREIGHT
[email protected]

Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 01:54 PM CST
+ 3 - 3
What does the load pay? Are you the shipper? If you're just the broker how much are you taking? Seems about $240 light for a loaded one way round.
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:09 PM CST
+ 4 - 2
Quote: "What does the load pay? Are you the shipper? If you're just the broker how much are you taking? Seems about $240 light for a loaded one way round."

Who asks "How much are you taking"?
Totally in appropriate question if you are being facisious or if you're just a jerk.
But I think you are probably neither one.
Being totally transparent my company earns 10% of the all in rate - My customer is paying $1110 -We pay $1000 - Leaves us $110
Most brokers would cringe knowing that I lay it all out but thats the only way to be if you plan on building relationships with carriers and customers alike.
9 out of 10 brokerages would not even answer the question.

"Our goal is to develop and maintain the trust and respect of our customers AND our carriers through dependable and honest business relationships"

Kelly
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:20 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "What does the load pay? Are you the shipper? If you're just the broker how much are you taking? Seems about $240 light for a loaded one way round."

who goes one way for 311 miles?
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:01 PM CST
Quote: "who goes one way for 311 miles?"

Good question...but you might get a BACK HAUL out of the deal
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:28 PM CST
+ 4 - 1
Why do you consider a carrier asking the total rate an inappropriate question? There are a lot of problems in this industry a carrier expecting to know how much commission a broker is making is not one of them.
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:47 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "Why do you consider a carrier asking the total rate an inappropriate question? There are a lot of problems in this industry a carrier expecting to know how much commission a broker is making is not one of them. "

i guess if you bothered to find direct customers then you would know that information instead of asking a broker to do your job for you. had to be said........
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 05:19 PM CST
+ 2 - 1
Quote: "i guess if you bothered to find direct customers then you would know that information instead of asking a broker to do your job for you. had to be said........"

Nancy that is complete nonsense! Transportation brokers should have a fiduciary relationship with the carrier! Obviously as a commodity broker you don’t have that same level of transparency. However there is absolutely nothing wrong with a carrier that expects a broker to be honest about charging or withholding a pre determined percentage. I might do 10 loads or so a year with brokers and run several O/O and have always been up front and honest about the percentage I charge. You wonder why all the hatred and complaining that goes on in these forums and that is exactly why carriers hate brokers!

Sure some people like you think taking whatever amount of profit you can from some trucker stuck thousands of miles from home working 70 hours a week trying to make a living is just fine. I personally do not!

Having the ability to take advantage of someone does not make it the right thing to do.
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 06:48 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "i guess if you bothered to find direct customers then you would know that information instead of asking a broker to do your job for you. had to be said........"

Miss Canada

Think in US it is law that brokers must be transparent with their
their rates most truckers just give them a break and don’t ask
If rate is what they are willing to haul for ,so be it .

311 miles sounds just right for round trip rate with anything
Especially Flat bed, takes time to load strap down, drive
311 miles, which could end up being quite a bit more,
brokers or direct shippers are famous for not getting miles
correct,and unstrap and wait till they get the fork lift
running , sounds like used rail road ties, may not
be a classy joint, talk about freight being tied to cost of
product . Probably should think about some detention
time also.

311 miles May not be round trip for hoppers in Canada
where you load fast and nice and heavy and truck driver see how
fast they can turn there gears into razor blades.

If your are a broker from Canada your most welcome to your
opinion on this Webb site or any other or to come to
dinner , we usually have Romain noodles but we
do have different flavors.

But I know a few brokers in US and they would not
be able to take time for this mostly baloney as you do.

Bottom line rate around $1500.00 plus detention
time if old rail road ties also loading site may be
on the dirt rail road right away and you need 6
wheel drive with full lockers to get to it,
freight probably best left where it is.

Jim Dana
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:46 PM CST
I know I'm old, but back in the old days it was called skimming. No broker was allowed to just give a rate. The rate belongs to the shipper or the owner of the product. The broker gave the shippers rate and then said he was taking his 10 or 20% or whatever. It was not the brokers rate. Things were way more transparent then. I very rarely use a broker, but if I have to, I will know the background on the load. I have seen too many $2000 loads that paid $1600 and then the broker took 10% of that. I'm sure I will get hammered by the broker lovers but that's just my $.02 and I didn't even charge you for it.
Replied on Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:49 PM CST
I should add that if the ROUND TRIP is 310 miles then I apologize. I assumed it was 310 each way since the broker mentioned a backhaul possibility.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 01:43 AM CST
Quote: "I should add that if the ROUND TRIP is 310 miles then I apologize. I assumed it was 310 each way since the broker mentioned a backhaul possibility."

No need to apologize for that,
It's not exactly clear if it's 310 miles 1 way or round trip,
We need to keep Rates where we are making profit not just getting by.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 01:57 AM CST
Quote: "who goes one way for 311 miles?"

There is a lot of Trucks go 1 way 300 miles or more with a load that need to be delivered into an area with Nothing coming out of there,
Around 25% of my work is that way & the people I haul for understand the Truck need to be paid round trip.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 06:38 AM CST
Just checked mileage. 472 miles one way.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 06:47 AM CST
+ 4
Everyone is caught up in what this broker is taking, wether or not it’s 310 miles one way or round trip, or if the broker is being transparent. Bottom line if you think you have a truck that might work for this load get in touch with him. Quit being worried about stuff that doesn’t potentially matter.
With that said, why is he posting on a bulk site? Yes I have talked with the KOF people before, so I believe I’m reasonably within my grounds to say this.....my guess is it’s because they can’t get enough interest on DAT and other non bulk sites. Their credit rating and days to pay are poor. I receive a couple different list of brokers that have non-pay claims against them. I have seen there name on those lists. (Yes before you rake me over the coals KOF I realize those are not always accurate lists for a multitude of reasons.)
Worry about this when you look at loads, Days to Pay, Credit Score, can YOU potentially make this load work. Leave all the other BS at the door.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 06:55 AM CST
+ 3 - 1
Quote: "No need to apologize for that, It's not exactly clear if it's 310 miles 1 way or round trip, We need to keep Rates where we are making profit not just getting by."

It’s perfectly clear it’s 310 miles one way!!!!!!!!! Origin is in Indiana destination Pennsylvania!!! No wonder too many people on this web site can’t make money. They have no clue first how to read everything and then process it accurately. I don’t expect you to be PRO MILES OR MAPQUEST and know the exact distance off the top of your head. But damn people how did you get out of grade school without knowing there’s a little state called OHIO that separates the two of them??????????
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 07:25 AM CST
+ 2
Quote: "Just checked mileage. 472 miles one way. "

Your mileage is off 310 one way. It is an easy route to run, with the exception of the construction in Pa.on 80. One may have to get back into northeast Ohio but back hauls should not be problem.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 08:04 AM CST
+ 1
It’s on a bulk site because bulkloads and flatloads share the same forum.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 01:42 PM CST
+ 3
Quote: "Just checked mileage. 472 miles one way. "

Its 310 miles. Straight across 30, 71, 76, 80, SR8. Easy running. 1000 isnt horribly out of line for that lane. This is a flatbed load, posted on bulkloads because they share the same forum. There are lots of flatbed loads out of Pittsburgh/Sharon going back to Fort Wayne/Elkhart area for 1100-1500+. So really the truck could be averaging over 1100 per day, running 350-400 miles each day. If the driver lived on route, or a regional carrier, really wouldnt be a bad deal.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 03:15 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Miss Canada Think in US it is law that brokers must be transparent with their their rates most truckers just give them a break and don’t ask If rate is what they are willing to haul for ,so be it . 311 miles sounds just right for round trip rate with anything Especially Flat bed, takes time to load strap down, drive 311 miles, which could end up being quite a bit more, brokers or direct shippers are famous for not getting miles correct,and unstrap and wait till they get the fork lift running , sounds like used rail road ties, may not be a classy joint, talk about freight being tied to cost of product . Probably should think about some detention time also. 311 miles May not be round trip for hoppers in Canada where you load fast and nice and heavy and truck driver see how fast they can turn there gears into razor blades. If your are a broker from Canada your most welcome to your opinion on this Webb site or any other or to come to dinner , we usually have Romain noodles but we do have different flavors. But I know a few brokers in US and they would not be able to take time for this mostly baloney as you do. Bottom line rate around $1500.00 plus detention time if old rail road ties also loading site may be on the dirt rail road right away and you need 6 wheel drive with full lockers to get to it, freight probably best left where it is. Jim Dana "

i dunno, if i hired a truck and could only find him that much revenue on 311 miles i think they would not go for it. and if that's your rate well obviously these loads are not a good fit for your truck.
if you have what if's you can also nail down what you think may or may not happen by doing the homework and asking, then you can make an educated decision. as far as loading etc. if you are real good at your job you will find that o/o some ltl gravy to load up and pay them a good percentage. lotsa options to go with......
as far as all the broker comments i guess someone fits that bill, as for me i do the customs, i line up the loads, i do precalls to check on both sides the info is legit. i am available to any of my carriers 24/7 and i pay a mortgage and buy dog biscuits. no trips to vegas or mexico but i do occasionally take trips in the big truck (step deck) down there. and we love fried bologna......
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 04:23 PM CST
Mileage is a little short by over 100 miles..is this a TQL load?
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 05:16 PM CST
+ 2
PC Miler Practical miles = 319, so how are some folks coming up with 400+?!?!

I have trucks and I'm also a broker, so I get to see both sides of the industry. Carriers who complain about brokers getting a % of the load need to keep in mind if it wasn't for brokers, carriers would have to be established with each shipper they haul for or plan to haul for, and it would limit the lanes you could service. It's very time consuming for brokers, therefore costly, to maintain those relationships, negotiate rates, set up loads, verify paperwork, screen carriers, verify insurance, track loads, etc. Carriers who only haul direct for shippers employ people to do the work a broker performs, which affects the profitability of each load. If brokers didn't exist, shippers would also have to employ people to do the same tasks a broker performs, which would reduce the rate they could pay. Just think about how you as a carrier would find loads if there weren't brokers..... As a carrier, I have gone direct to shippers thinking I'll get a better rate, but that's rarely the case. I've actually found the opposite, shippers paying direct carriers a lower rate than they do brokers, because they know they can. In one lane, a broker was paying me $1400 when the shipper only offered $1000. The broker was a better negotiator! I also know what my largest brokerage customer pays their carriers vs. the rate I get, and in most cases, I'm able to pay the same rate or better while also offering services like quick pay and the ability to find my carriers a backhaul. I have a brokerage lane where I pay carriers $950 and my customer pays direct carriers $650.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 05:17 PM CST
Quote: "Nancy that is complete nonsense! Transportation brokers should have a fiduciary relationship with the carrier! Obviously as a commodity broker you don’t have that same level of transparency. However there is absolutely nothing wrong with a carrier that expects a broker to be honest about charging or withholding a pre determined percentage. I might do 10 loads or so a year with brokers and run several O/O and have always been up front and honest about the percentage I charge. You wonder why all the hatred and complaining that goes on in these forums and that is exactly why carriers hate brokers! Sure some people like you think taking whatever amount of profit you can from some trucker stuck thousands of miles from home working 70 hours a week trying to make a living is just fine. I personally do not! Having the ability to take advantage of someone does not make it the right thing to do."

ok so with that logic, how much money do you keep after you dispatch your driver, especially on the ltl loads, do you run a carrier and broker business and if so does your broker side tell you driver side how much they booked the load for?
i am all for transparency but quite frankly if i find or am approached by a customer to move loads and do all the homework required to ensure you get treated and paid fairly and YOU AGREE TO THE RATE or in most cases GIVE ME THE RATE that you would be satisfied with then how do you figure i should give you my hard earned information for free?
i dont wonder why there are negative comments, this always happens when people dont research the loads they agree to take or dont check out the people they take them from. then they log on here to tell everyone that they were ripped off.
i would love for you to tell every single driver you have knows what the customer is paying you on your loads so please feel free to be tranparent with them as well.....and if you only do 10 broker loads also please confirm you never phone a customer direct after doing a brokered load as i feel thats just about as big as insult to you as the ones you have commented to me above.
i haved worked both the carrier(load finder/dispatch) and broker/freight forwarder side and one thing i noticed on here is that when terms like "people like you" are used it means you don't have a clue who we are or what we do.
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 07:59 PM CST
+ 1
Nancy,

I don't have any more time to go back and forth with you over explaining how ( as a freight broker ) it is unethical to charge whatever the hell percentage you deem is fair.

I can tell you when i started in 1997 the standard in the bulk industry was 8% and 18 day terms. I can also tell you there are ethical companies that still operate at those rates and with that transparency. There are also a great many that DO NOT and feel it is fair game to take what they can get.

I commented on this forum because a freight broker called out a carrier for asking how much they were getting paid for freight. Then made it sound like he was a hero for actually telling the carrier while in his opinion 9 out of 10 brokers would never had given that information.

That is simply not true! There are many of us who gladly will tell carriers what the total rates are and exaclty what we are witholding.

Believe it or not there are actually brokers who work together without poaching each others customers as well!
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 07:59 PM CST
Nancy,

I don't have any more time to go back and forth with you over explaining how ( as a freight broker ) it is unethical to charge whatever the hell percentage you deem is fair.

I can tell you when i started in 1997 the standard in the bulk industry was 8% and 18 day terms. I can also tell you there are ethical companies that still operate at those rates and with that transparency. There are also a great many that DO NOT and feel it is fair game to take what they can get.

I commented on this forum because a freight broker called out a carrier for asking how much they were getting paid for freight. Then made it sound like he was a hero for actually telling the carrier while in his opinion 9 out of 10 brokers would never had given that information.

That is simply not true! There are many of us who gladly will tell carriers what the total rates are and exaclty what we are witholding.

Believe it or not there are actually brokers who work together without poaching each others customers as well!
Replied on Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 08:03 PM CST
BTW Nancy yes drivers are paid on percentage so they know the freight rates as well.
Replied on Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 09:55 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Nancy, I don't have any more time to go back and forth with you over explaining how ( as a freight broker ) it is unethical to charge whatever the hell percentage you deem is fair. I can tell you when i started in 1997 the standard in the bulk industry was 8% and 18 day terms. I can also tell you there are ethical companies that still operate at those rates and with that transparency. There are also a great many that DO NOT and feel it is fair game to take what they can get. I commented on this forum because a freight broker called out a carrier for asking how much they were getting paid for freight. Then made it sound like he was a hero for actually telling the carrier while in his opinion 9 out of 10 brokers would never had given that information. That is simply not true! There are many of us who gladly will tell carriers what the total rates are and exaclty what we are witholding. Believe it or not there are actually brokers who work together without poaching each others customers as well! "

what i can tell you is that when i hire a carrier to haul our commodity loads or that of another direct customer i have, our company is that carrier's customer. it's a simple fact that whomever pays you for the load taken is your customer. nothing changes that. i, as a customer to you, am under no obligation to share any information with you about my customer and indeed that would be a breech of our customer agreements of confident information. you get a load confirmation, which you agree to and you perform the service you are hired to do and are paid with thanks from all of us.
Replied on Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 11:20 AM CST
+ 1
I wonder if there are forums for buyers of goods such as tires, groceries; parts; etc where the customers can bitch non stop about vendor pricing?
Replied on Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 12:13 PM CST
Quote: "I wonder if there are forums for buyers of goods such as tires, groceries; parts; etc where the customers can bitch non stop about vendor pricing? "

I wonder if there are any other brokers that work for a transparent percentage of the sale? Go ahead Ron list your house with a real estate agent and tell them what you are willing to sell your house for and let them take whatever profit they can!

Ron you know damn well what I am talking about as you were the guy who started brokering me at that 8%!

BTW it’s been over 25 years since that shady ****** truck broker screwed you outa your money! Let it go Brother!
Replied on Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 12:17 PM CST
Quote: "I wonder if there are forums for buyers of goods such as tires, groceries; parts; etc where the customers can bitch non stop about vendor pricing? "

Buying a product if it doesn't live up to standards or price.. the customer doesn't need to BITCH about it..they just won't buy it and if that vendor doesn't get their stuff together.. they go tits up..
Replied on Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 12:24 PM CST
+ 1 - 2
Nancy,

i agree with what what you said. My point is regarding how transportation brokers run their relationship with the carriers they contract with. You either run a transparent broker service for an agreed upon percentage split, or you run shady business that takes what they get.

perhaps all you brokers that take whatever the hell you think is fair should simply run a disclaimer on your letterhead that reads simply.

” To all carriers stupid enough to book a load through me please be advised my broker fee may me as high as 99%!