Home > Forum > Harmonic Balancers

Harmonic Balancers

May 12, 2016 at 12:09 AM CST
Most engine makers warn you to change a balancer at 500,000miles. Had an ISX in yesterday. Owner said it had an engine knock. It did when you started it and shut it off. Not AS much when running. Owner had made a number of changes. We got lucky. Spotted a tiny crack in balancer. When we pulled it the whole center under the pulley was broken in a circle. If the owner had made another trip the damage would have been extensive, balancer on its own isn't free. Check them but really think about changing at manufacturer recommended interval.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, May 12, 2016 at 06:39 PM CST
Art have you tried a Centramatic balancer on anything. I didn't know they make one for harmonic til here while back.
Replied on Thu, May 12, 2016 at 07:42 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JERRY BECK
Quote: "Art have you tried a Centramatic balancer on anything. I didn't know they make one for harmonic til here while back."

Why have two doing the same thing? Don't waste your money- a fluidampener is all you need
Replied on Thu, May 12, 2016 at 07:51 PM CST
I didn't buy one I was at the parts store when the Centramatic man passed through. He had them for everything including driveshafts. Dunno as I'd trust any of them except for tires. I run them all the way around and do get good tire wear.


Replied on Thu, May 12, 2016 at 07:59 PM CST
Yea I have the Mercury ones for mine tires, on the motor I would buy a new vibratech viscous fliud dampener- for replacement of old one, just my two cents




Replied on Thu, May 12, 2016 at 08:23 PM CST
- 1
Mine had a two piece balancer like the old small block Chevys, I hit some big cracks in the road one day and the outer ring came off, cling cling, got lucky and didn't hit the radiater, bought a used one threw it on and bought a new one that's sitting in the garage, tryed to paint it when it was 50 degrees out and paint wouldn't cure so doing that when I get home, still has the original main bearings, 25 years old 850000 miles
Replied on Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM CST
Balancers are more important and ignored than you think. I personally have an emodel cat with a 2 peice crankshaft. I rebuilt 30,000 prior to this and spent $16,000 in parts alone. I however upped horsepower in excess of 650 so what was the cause of breakage. Analysis says harmonics, horsepower, and cásting flaws in e models. We are seeing more balancer trouble and that is why we need to heed warnings to replace. As far as centramatics, don't know. Run them on wheels. They will only solve 4 oz of balance, but if your close they are great. We find that the cost of a balancer is a waste. I however bought a mercury balancer for my son's 6 NZ that he stole from me, it took that small amount out. Value??? Depends on are you driving it or a driver, not finding worth past personal value.
I can relate to the struggle between maintenance and extravagance, but if that balancer gets loose it'll cost you. The cost difference, at least for me in my shop vs on the road is crazy.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, May 13, 2016 at 09:13 AM CST
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Balancers are more important and ignored than you think. I personally have an emodel cat with a 2 peice crankshaft. I rebuilt 30,000 prior to this and spent $16,000 in parts alone. I however upped horsepower in excess of 650 so what was the cause of breakage. Analysis says harmonics, horsepower, and cásting flaws in e models. We are seeing more balancer trouble and that is why we need to heed warnings to replace. As far as centramatics, don't know. Run them on wheels. They will only solve 4 oz of balance, but if your close they are great. We find that the cost of a balancer is a waste. I however bought a mercury balancer for my son's 6 NZ that he stole from me, it took that small amount out. Value??? Depends on are you driving it or a driver, not finding worth past personal value. I can relate to the struggle between maintenance and extravagance, but if that balancer gets loose it'll cost you. The cost difference, at least for me in my shop vs on the road is crazy. Art Pfluger"

I agree, the fliud gets hard over time in the balancer, Iv herd certain years cat went on strike, that's were the bad cranks came from, who knows
Replied on Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:10 AM CST
balancers are overlooked a lot. In the 80s Ihad a KT 525 Cummins that had a bad balancer. It broke the drive shaft of the waterpump 3 times, worbled out the keyway of the AC pump before I found out what was wrong. this was very costly as anyone who knows about the cost of these engines.
Now I have a Pete with a 2WS Cat 3406E. I made a small bracket and bolted it to the head so I could get up easier to wash my windshields. It required 5/16 bolts, used grade 5. 2 days later went to use this bracket and found it laying on the starter with the bolts broke off. Replaced the bolts with grade 8 and another one broke off. I relized the balancer was bad at that time, replaced the balancer and the problem is solved

Replied on Fri, May 13, 2016 at 07:34 PM CST
Hey buddy, I have a 14L with 830k. Absolutely a fantastic motor, what should I do to protect the harmonics?
Replied on Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:59 AM CST
I would follow the engine makers guidelines
Replied on Sat, May 14, 2016 at 12:56 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JASON WEAST
Quote: "Hey buddy, I have a 14L with 830k. Absolutely a fantastic motor, what should I do to protect the harmonics? "

A little meditation.. Chant a little.. You know hummmmmm.. Hummmm.. Breath in good. Exhale bad.. That might help your harmonic balance..
Replied on Sat, May 14, 2016 at 08:19 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "A little meditation.. Chant a little.. You know hummmmmm.. Hummmm.. Breath in good. Exhale bad.. That might help your harmonic balance.. "

Thanks Dr. Jeff , I'm cured thanks to your wisdom, send me a bill
Replied on Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:41 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JASON WEAST
Quote: "Thanks Dr. Jeff , I'm cured thanks to your wisdom, send me a bill"

Any time.. For some weird reason.. Harmonic balancer took me back to the 60s..and your bill? Free advice gets a free bill..