Home > Forum > How Can Anybody Run For Sub $2.00 Per Mile?

How can anybody run for sub $2.00 per mile?

Sep 20, 2022 at 06:23 PM CST
+ 20
Just curious what some think on here about running for less than $2.00 per mile? I get a load list everyday from a grain company out of Oklahoma (not going to name them but some will know who I'm talking about) and they are posting rates that are below break even. I've done quite a bit of hauling for them in the past and their pay was decent but now it looks like they are not one bit ashamed to pay us below minimum wage! Is there a way to band together and not haul for them (like the railroaders did)?
Replied on Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM CST

Im with you!

Replied on Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 10:50 AM CST
This one should get interesting! That is exactly why my hopper is parked. A couple years ago, several of us ran exclusively for one of the big grain companies, they post loads on here every day and I don’t have any hard feeling towards them so I won’t mention any names, and I’ve made the same comment to them I’ll make here. We ran farm to customer every day for them. As we ran we saw the exact same loads we were running posted here on Bulkloads. Every time they found someone cheaper, the rate dropped. Loyalty, dependability, caliber of equipment, the fact we were local hauling off neighboring farms meant nothing. The ONLY thing that mattered was the money. When I questioned the situation I was told, as long as we can find a cheaper rate, thats direction we are going. If we can’t get it moved, the rate will go up. Guess what, we have all pretty much moved on, and they have no problem moving grain. I don’t think we will ever be able to come together on this. If you look around at the world we live in it has become less about “us” and more about “me”. Hell, we can’t even come together on pulling forward at the fuel island, or properly disposing of urine bottles. I don’t see any way we can come together on the more complicated issues such as rates when we can’t seem to come together on the simple things. There always seems to be someone willing to run at a loss just to run.
Replied on Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 01:21 PM CST
The railroads belong to a union that at least supports the concept of a strike, truckers belong to organizations like the ATA or OOIDA that condemn the concept of a strike, rather they believe that Just simply asking for more money is the way to succeed, it makes me wonder if they also believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy also.
Replied on Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 02:36 PM CST
+ 2
They do it because rocket scientist paid 200k for a 3 year old pete with 400k miles. Once those people lose their shirts things should improve. At 2 dollars per mile and national average of $4.96 for diesel you aren't actually making anything. I don't have a hopper and have some not so nice thoughts about those that pull them. Hoppers constantly uncut pneumatics then complain about rates. Hoppers are what ruined sand hauling in the oilfield. That's why I don't bother with post that list multiple trailers. The only way to fix it is for you all to leave the cheap stuff sitting. I get calls about 2 or 3 dollar pneumatic loads all the time. I never take them. But I haven't carried any dept since 2008. Since then I buy all my equipment cash. At the end of the day truck drivers get what we deserve. Which is nothing. Because we refuse to work together. FYI FMCA is considering looking at the pre 2000 eld exemption. But we'll just roll over and take it. Like usual. The railroad workers were from different unions and different companies and they got it done. Hats off to them.
Replied on Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 06:58 AM CST
+ 1

Ya "Don't haul thier cheap stuff"!!!

Replied on Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 08:36 AM CST
Not only that they post different rates every day sone are not even pay the tolls

I have to agree we has drivers, fleet owners and carriers has to one way or other get together and stop talking about it and start stop taking the cheap loads. Truckers are not together they talk the talk but would never do anything about it. How many times trucking organizations has tried to get truckers together in the past. When the trucker hear that they have to stop the truck or there operations they back up and don't have anything to do with it. I've been in the transportation industry for 35+ years and I see the same crap coming out of peoples mouth. So yes until we all as truckers get together we will never get what we all deserve.

I don't recall a point when hauling grain was ever worth doing.
Railroad did not get it done. They white house did it for them and after they read the new contract they were not happy. They can only go to the doctor Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, with 60 day notice, I go when I want.