Home > Forum > Illegal Driving??

Illegal driving??

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM CST
+ 21 - 3
This forum has been really educational for me. I appreciate everyone's views. It's also taught me that I'm a bit of a loudmouth and probably need to learn to shut up.....I'm not going to shut up today though. No personal anger directed to anybody but the people that are ok with the eld or hours of service please jump in and answer my few questions. Show me where I'm wrong because in 2 years I've fell in love with this industry and am advocating for making it better.

I read the term illegal driving today, no offense to that person. But fmcsa and hours of service are turning the highways bloody. Let's make a stupid comparison because I enjoy working out and fitness.....the NBA. what would happen if we lower the hoop 2 feet, and widen it by 2 feet? Also limit the number of hours a basketball player can train. All the sudden. 6 foot tall dale Hermans can dunk and shoot like Lebron James. Player pay would decrease because half the country can dunk, skill would decrease because of less training which will lead to more injuries. AM I WRONG?

How is that comparison any different than creating autoshifts because we dont want to pay someone that's coordinated enough to navigate a turn and shift an 18 speed at the same time, while simultaneously getting a million miles out of a clutch. Then let's restrict the truckers ability to make a judgment call on when it's safe to drive, seems to me we've thoroughly leveled the playing field and lowered the driver skills significantly. Am I wrong?

Now we need to make more rules because boot and Jean's and a long hood culture is still kicking the crap out of the lazy flip floppers that want 14 hours off duty. Guess we better jack up owner OP insurance premiums and inspect the ever loving crap out of those chrome long hood trucks in an attempt to slow them down some more.

Who kills more people, the 379 pulling a cattle pot, who has some flexibility, or the white volvo with the wind fairings ripped off, but has conformed and only driven a nice lazy 8 hour day?

Prove me wrong
Replied on Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:30 PM CST
- 4

I think you knew I would respond to this. Maybe even expected it. I don't agree with everything with the ELD but there is nothing we can do to stop it. All the drivers who have been doing this for awhile are used to the old paper logs but times have changed. Does it put restrictions on drive time? Yes. Does it mean potentially less money made per week? Maybe. But it was put into place for safety. Drivers may drive off their log, which yes, is illegal, but that is a risk they choose to take. I don't think it's worth getting caught and having an "out of service" lower your score.

Replied on Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:30 PM CST
+ 1

Lower the bar, lower the quality, lower the standards, lower the competition, lower the safety! We already know it wasn't about safety though. It was the ATA/Megas that want all the industry to themselves. Now, everybody is racing against the clock reaking havok on the interstates instead of being able to STOP the clock for a nap or because a shipper/receiver put them HOURS behind. Look at how these idiots are putting everyone at risk. Even flying through construction zones where the penalties for it are very strong. Look at how high insurance rates are getting. Look at how few are even writing new policies. The writing is on the wall. You are one hundred percent...CORRECT!

Replied on Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 01:12 PM CST
+ 5
From 1933-1979, there was no CDL, no CVSA, no FMCSA, no drug testing, and yet it was the safest period of time for trucking, despite the fact many trucks had twin sticks, and no automatic slack adjusters, and nobody was checking log books. If only someone could make America great again.
Replied on Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 01:12 PM CST
+ 4
Kimberly I would have been disappointed if you didn't respond. The reason you are providing your input and correcting us where we may be wrong is BECAUSE YOU CARE. I respect you for that, but until someone proves me wrong I will say over and over again that the fmcsa has nothing to do with safety. They are killing people and making the roads dangerous. Thanks to hours of service the best truckers have quit. Left the industry completely. The roads instantly got more dangerous when they left. They should still be here training people if not driving. You're a respectful debater and I appreciate it.
Replied on Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 01:58 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "Kimberly I would have been disappointed if you didn't respond. The reason you are providing your input and correcting us where we may be wrong is BECAUSE YOU CARE. I respect you for that, but until someone proves me wrong I will say over and over again that the fmcsa has nothing to do with safety. They are killing people and making the roads dangerous. Thanks to hours of service the best truckers have quit. Left the industry completely. The roads instantly got more dangerous when they left. They should still be here training people if not driving. You're a respectful debater and I appreciate it."

Thank you, Dale. I appreciate that. And I really do care. Having a husband on the road has made me a softy for the truckers.

Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 09:46 AM CST
+ 3
The 14 hour rule Is the most dangerous thing this country has ever implemented, I quess us Boot and Jean's will just keep rebuilding the 98' pete and hand em' the old log book , there's more than one way to skin a cat .
Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 01:41 PM CST
Originally Posted by: PBT PBT
Quote: "The 14 hour rule Is the most dangerous thing this country has ever implemented, I quess us Boot and Jean's will just keep rebuilding the 98' pete and hand em' the old log book , there's more than one way to skin a cat ."

I'd imagine they'll come for the old trucks too. It wouldn't surprise me if they require you to add 2000 dollars worth of crap to the old truck to make it trackable. If that doesn't work for the dot, I'm sure they'll send the epa to make sure they squash that old school culture
Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 02:33 PM CST
+ 2
Why does everyone assume that paperlog translates to violatong hours of service? You have so many time stamped docs and other things tracking you anyway.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 03:59 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Originally Posted by: KIMBERLY GRAY
Quote: "I think you knew I would respond to this. Maybe even expected it. I don't agree with everything with the ELD but there is nothing we can do to stop it. All the drivers who have been doing this for awhile are used to the old paper logs but times have changed. Does it put restrictions on drive time? Yes. Does it mean potentially less money made per week? Maybe. But it was put into place for safety. Drivers may drive off their log, which yes, is illegal, but that is a risk they choose to take. I don't think it's worth getting caught and having an "out of service" lower your score. "

SAFETY?! I take it you have never driven a truck? My 3.5 million miles before a became a desk man gives me the right to weigh in on this. Dale is absolutely right! The govenment believes that just because a computer think you need to sleep, then you need to sleep. No cram all this bull crap into a 14 hour span and you now have trucks being turned up to run faster speeds by drivers who are school taught and can not handle these speeds. The roads are less safe now than when we ran paper. Was there cheating done? Yes but most of the time it was in the name of safety. There were days when the moon was right and I could personally drive all night long. There were also days when I layed down and slept 10 hours, drove from one rest stop to the next and did not feel safe behind the wheel so I took a nap. We need to let the human being operate the vehicle in a safe mannor!

That's my 2 cents worth.
Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 04:52 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: ED MCCONNELL
Quote: "SAFETY?! I take it you have never driven a truck? My 3.5 million miles before a became a desk man gives me the right to weigh in on this. Dale is absolutely right! The govenment believes that just because a computer think you need to sleep, then you need to sleep. No cram all this bull crap into a 14 hour span and you now have trucks being turned up to run faster speeds by drivers who are school taught and can not handle these speeds. The roads are less safe now than when we ran paper. Was there cheating done? Yes but most of the time it was in the name of safety. There were days when the moon was right and I could personally drive all night long. There were also days when I layed down and slept 10 hours, drove from one rest stop to the next and did not feel safe behind the wheel so I took a nap. We need to let the human being operate the vehicle in a safe mannor! That's my 2 cents worth."

The driver shouldn't be speeding. That's the opposite of safe. I know truckers that would literally drive 20+ hours straight on paper logs and be falling asleep behind the wheel. I want the truckers to be safe and have time to rest instead of feeling like they have to go go go non-stop. Everyone deserves a break.

Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 07:22 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "I think we should have a one size fits all policy for ALL AMERICANS, lets pass a law that all working Americans have to complete their Work Quota, by 4pm on Friday, and if it’s not accomplished, we put them in the penalty box, and hold them captive at their job site for 34 hours without pay, and lets base the quotas on a theoreticaly perfect environment, with no sick days allowed, or doctors appointments, or weather conditions, or break down’s! And we will have accountants and efficientcy experts plan your schedule for you, and you can learn to manage your time! And just to make sure it’s equal, we will require everyone to have a 70 hour week, but you will have to come in and clean your office on your personal time! Because after all, everyone should get a trophy, it should be equal! Of course we will have to get rid of hourly pay, and put everyone on piece work! But, lets take your guns away first, to insure compliance of course, LOL."

You want to know why truckers have a attitude, sit down and pretend that scenario really does apply to you, and give it some serious thought, because that is the life of a trucker under the ELD. How long would you, or any other American put up with it.
Replied on Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 07:22 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: KIMBERLY GRAY
Quote: "The driver shouldn't be speeding. That's the opposite of safe. I know truckers that would literally drive 20+ hours straight on paper logs and be falling asleep behind the wheel. I want the truckers to be safe and have time to rest instead of feeling like they have to go go go non-stop. Everyone deserves a break. "

I think we should have a one size fits all policy for ALL AMERICANS, lets pass a law that all working Americans have to complete their Work Quota, by 4pm on Friday, and if it’s not accomplished, we put them in the penalty box, and hold them captive at their job site for 34 hours without pay, and lets base the quotas on a theoreticaly perfect environment, with no sick days allowed, or doctors appointments, or weather conditions, or break down’s! And we will have accountants and efficientcy experts plan your schedule for you, and you can learn to manage your time! And just to make sure it’s equal, we will require everyone to have a 70 hour week, but you will have to come in and clean your office on your personal time! Because after all, everyone should get a trophy, it should be equal! Of course we will have to get rid of hourly pay, and put everyone on piece work! But, lets take your guns away first, to insure compliance of course, LOL.
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 07:00 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "I think we should have a one size fits all policy for ALL AMERICANS, lets pass a law that all working Americans have to complete their Work Quota, by 4pm on Friday, and if it’s not accomplished, we put them in the penalty box, and hold them captive at their job site for 34 hours without pay, and lets base the quotas on a theoreticaly perfect environment, with no sick days allowed, or doctors appointments, or weather conditions, or break down’s! And we will have accountants and efficientcy experts plan your schedule for you, and you can learn to manage your time! And just to make sure it’s equal, we will require everyone to have a 70 hour week, but you will have to come in and clean your office on your personal time! Because after all, everyone should get a trophy, it should be equal! Of course we will have to get rid of hourly pay, and put everyone on piece work! But, lets take your guns away first, to insure compliance of course, LOL."

No idea why you're giving me a hard time. I guess anything I say whether positive or negative you will have some kind of problem with. That's too bad

Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 07:02 AM CST
Kim, name me one trucker that will drive until they fall asleep. I say you don't know one. The accident statistics say there are x amount of accidents due to fatigue. Well its ruled fatigue driving regardless who's fault the accident is, if that evil nasty wasty trucker is over on his or her time. We dont want to die, we dont want a death on our conscience either. Honestly, shame on you for thinking we do our jobs that carelessly. I used to be a diesel technician for farm equipment. I'd work from 6am to 2am during harvest. Drive home from a service call, and it's no big deal. But suddenly I'm a threat in a truck? Honestly I think you believe whatever is the easiest. The general public and media hates us hard working grunts and demonizes us whenever there's a chance. I say let em do it, I'll still be there to pick up the pieces when they ask for help because I love this country and I love my job
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 07:02 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: KIMBERLY GRAY
Quote: "The driver shouldn't be speeding. That's the opposite of safe. I know truckers that would literally drive 20+ hours straight on paper logs and be falling asleep behind the wheel. I want the truckers to be safe and have time to rest instead of feeling like they have to go go go non-stop. Everyone deserves a break. "

What about me Kim? I own my truck and trailers. We line up our own work. My only boss is my wife. Am I a criminal if I want to work? Am I a criminal if I'd rather the government let me drive 15 hours a day and only be gone 3 days a week? Because that's what I want to do. If a company driver doesn't want to work like a dog, its time for them to realize their own value and put their foot down. If an owner OP doesn't want to drive a huge day, that's their decision. I want to get out there and get it done, either ahead of or behind the weather as I see fit. And get home to my kids. You're opinions take that away from me.

Again, speeding. Respectfully Kim you are showing your lack of knowledge. None of us regularly speed. Driving fast drinks fuel and fuel is our biggest expense. But how safe is it to pass a semi that's going 63, when I'm going 64???? If you tell me you never speed when passing I'll call you a liar. And to satisfy gretta thunberg....we need to save fuel, which means haul ass down the hill so your momentum pushes you up the next.

Again, no offense, but your views are lacking experience and your views reinforce a false image to the general public. I'm not a criminal. The dot treats me like a meth cook daily, I don't need it from anybody else. Again, not angry with you, pub beer 7
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "What about me Kim? I own my truck and trailers. We line up our own work. My only boss is my wife. Am I a criminal if I want to work? Am I a criminal if I'd rather the government let me drive 15 hours a day and only be gone 3 days a week? Because that's what I want to do. If a company driver doesn't want to work like a dog, its time for them to realize their own value and put their foot down. If an owner OP doesn't want to drive a huge day, that's their decision. I want to get out there and get it done, either ahead of or behind the weather as I see fit. And get home to my kids. You're opinions take that away from me. Again, speeding. Respectfully Kim you are showing your lack of knowledge. None of us regularly speed. Driving fast drinks fuel and fuel is our biggest expense. But how safe is it to pass a semi that's going 63, when I'm going 64???? If you tell me you never speed when passing I'll call you a liar. And to satisfy gretta thunberg....we need to save fuel, which means haul ass down the hill so your momentum pushes you up the next. Again, no offense, but your views are lacking experience and your views reinforce a false image to the general public. I'm not a criminal. The dot treats me like a meth cook daily, I don't need it from anybody else. Again, not angry with you, pub beer 7"

Respectfully Dale, because I do respect you, my opinion isn't taking anything away from you, the implement of the ELD is taking that away from you. My opinion maybe hurt a sore spot and I'm sorry if I offended you. That was never my intention on any of my postings.

I've seen a lot of people on here say they "have to speed" now with the ELD in place that I guess struck a nerve with me. No one should ever drive faster and feel that pressure. It's not safe but the way I took it, they're putting all the blame on the ELD and none on the driver using his best judgement.

I do agree with you that this has taken away your choices and freedom to use your best judgement. And I completely understand you wanting to get home to see your family and get the job done. I was only trying to say at the beginning that we don't have the authority to legally change back to paper logs so fighting with each other about it won't change it. I've been badmouthed many times on here for it but I was truly never trying to offend anyone.

Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM CST
- 2

I'm 66 and have been in trucking all my life. I started my company driving my own truck over 20 years ago and i now run 27 walking floors. I love ELDs. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call a driver and tell him to shut the truck down before the advent of ELDs. You have to modify your business model so that you can be compliant and still make a profit. It can be done and you will benefit from having fresher more alert drivers. It puts us all on a level playing field and saves you from having to compete with the guy who is quoting rates so low that he has to run 20 hours straight just to make his truck payment. And if you think those guys aren't out there you're kidding yourself. Good luck to you guys, just take a step back and look at the bigger picture and I think you'll see that we're all better off.

Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:23 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: DAN EGGLETON
Quote: "I'm 66 and have been in trucking all my life. I started my company driving my own truck over 20 years ago and i now run 27 walking floors. I love ELDs. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call a driver and tell him to shut the truck down before the advent of ELDs. You have to modify your business model so that you can be compliant and still make a profit. It can be done and you will benefit from having fresher more alert drivers. It puts us all on a level playing field and saves you from having to compete with the guy who is quoting rates so low that he has to run 20 hours straight just to make his truck payment. And if you think those guys aren't out there you're kidding yourself. Good luck to you guys, just take a step back and look at the bigger picture and I think you'll see that we're all better off."

I was really starting to think that every trucker depised the ELD and was shocked at all the negative responses to it there are on here. Good management will go a long way to having a profitable business, ELD or no ELD.

Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 01:38 PM CST
Dan, i love the organization of the eld. Ifta is a piece of cake. Copy and paste and I'm done. I see your point and agree for the most part. But even if i was paid 12 bucks mile, I'd still want my own freedom to get the heck home or avoid a storm,or avoid traffic....dare I say, avoid a scale!!! Ill hear it for that comment. I'm NEVER overweight , I'll send every load slip for the last year to prove it. My rig is in good shape, I've got nothing to hide but they cost me time and cost me headaches .

Nobody wants to drive tired. But who says I'm tired when someone else is tired. Back to my sports comparison....just because one person gets exhausted on a 2 mile run, doesn't mean everyone does. Maybe we need some jogging restrictions
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 02:19 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KIMBERLY GRAY
Quote: "I was really starting to think that every trucker depised the ELD and was shocked at all the negative responses to it there are on here. Good management will go a long way to having a profitable business, ELD or no ELD. "

Typically the only people in favor of the hours of service are people that either dont know what it's really like, or they cant compete. In Dan's case, I respect his side of the discussion. If I was out for 2 weeks at a time I wouldn't want to do more than 8 hrs a day. But it doesn't work for everyone. I'm a regional company. So I'm between 1600 on the low end and 3000 on the high end, miles per week. It is incredibly frustrating for me
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 04:21 PM CST
+ 1
If your one of those 9-5 types sitting behind a ivory desk, you probably love ELD’s, because it allows you to put stupider people behind the wheel, just like automatic transmissions, and automatic slack adjusters, but if your the guy who is trying to get home on time to save his marriage, your on the other side of that coin. Regardless of that, what does the Data show, how are insurance companies reacting? Personally I think there is a positive side to accidents, they put the government on trial with the public, and the lawsuits trigger the process of discovery, then the real rates become known, wich is what big mega fears the most. Perhaps after next civil war, we will have a government that works for the people.
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 04:45 PM CST

Kimberly, and others, as several folks on this forum know I presentlly run a refer operation. I'm not prepared to enter into the bulk load community---yet. As a 'manager' I miss being on the road. I started back in '63 I have been against a lot of the government interfearance initiated by college preppies who have never set foot in a tractor; but, know "everything" about the trucking industry. I was totally against the ELD, until I had to use its information to collect demurge charges awhile back. For that it's a good thing. I wrote Martinez twice about not being able to log "off duty" and not have this time counted against the 14 hour rule for lunch breaks in the middle of a shift. Others did the same thing. Now, miraculasly, the rules are being changed to allow an off duty period from 30 minutes to three hours which will not go against the big clock. I have always agreed with the 10 off duty rule because 8 hours just never seemed to be enough for me to obtain decent sleep. Increasing the driving time to 11 hours I felt was a good thing, considering the great equipment most of us drive, or own. However, the former 15 hour day should have been left alone.

Have I violated the speed limit in the past? Yup! (Are you old enough to remember the national 55 mph speed limit?) Have I violated the original hours of service? Yup! But, I can honestly state that most times this was created by a dispatcher because he had a "hot load".

The ELD HAS NOT made the highways safer. I believe the actual proof of this, if the feds allow the facts to be honestly published, will come out in the next few years. Drivers are now pressured to get as many miles as they can and get off the road before the clock runs out. Also, most of us very experienced drivers know when to park it when weather conditions warrant it. How many drivers today press the issue to get as many miles as possible under their rig before the road becomes so dicey they end up in an accident?

Back in the day I worked for a while as a driver instructer. We taught the students one on one. It was not the training companies like Swift offer, where they put a newbee with a fairly experinced driver who jumps in the bunk for his rest, while leaving the new driver to fend for him/herself. My students learned everything from pulling a 45 ft. trailer, (yeah, this was the longest trailer you pulled back then) to hooking up and pulling doubles, backing on the blind, etc. After a month the driver could do everything. Also, since I was working for a company out of Phoenix, we got our drivers from Western Truck Driving School and Arizona Institute of Technology. (I'll bet Art is familiar with them.) The pass rate for the drivers coming out of Western was dismal. About 68 percent. Those from A.I.T. did much better with a pass rate just above 90%. All the gals I trained came from this school and not one of them flunked. I believe this was because these ladies had the desire to learn the craft properly. Either that or this was the only time in my life when I got women to listen to me!

Low rates ARE another thing that causes problems. Especially with drivers who hurry back to pick up another cheap load to help him achieve a decent day's earnings. But, what has he really earned compared to his expenses? If rates were higher and more fair, considering the fact that, according to a resent trucking report, the average cost to operate most rigs around the country is $1.82 per mile, guys could earn a better living for themselves and their families. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, in the exempt freight arena, and this includes produce, should be hauled for anything less than $35 a ton, or $2.25 per mile, whichever is greater. And maybe the guys hauling cheap will finally learn how bad they are screwing themselves, as well as the dry bulk hauling community.

Maybe!

Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 04:48 PM CST
+ 1
Yup love all of this new crap. Eld might be great for some. Im not into the lack of flexibility.I don't like the expense or one more thing to break. I now have at least 3 drivers per month out of hours 30 minutes from shop. I wouldn't stay out for that. So now i have to take another driver to get the truck last 20 -30 miles at whatever time of day. Its called respecting the guy that works for you. Then he ends up home for a minimum of 2days, but can't drive the last bit.
Also can't run a few extra to get out of weather or traffic or something out of drivers control.
I'm not this huge law breaker nor are my drivers. If you need a government box to tell you how to operate safely...get a different job.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 08:11 PM CST
Mr.Hermans
If i could find a Market for the weeds in my garden i could park my trucks and stay home. Selling my produce for a profit is at least as big a challenge as trucking. If you find a Market for my weeds id share my weed growing expertise...lol.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:57 PM CST
I gotta give credit to you 30 year veterans. Much respect. My dad is 69 and still helps drive for me when I'm in a pinch or need a break. He talks about when he drove truck in The 70s and 80s and it sounded great. I truly like this job. I enjoy driving,I enjoy the people. I like scenery and trucks. But I don't know how you guys tolerated the dot for so many decades. I'd say 70 percent of my interactions with a scale jockey are horrible!!!! I'd prefer a root canal or even trying to call the IRS and get help with a tax question would be more pleasant. Just today.....that prick at the westbound i74 scale by Bloomington Illinois can go fly a kite too. I didn't do something right and he flipped out on his speaker and proceeded to ream me a new one. Me being the proud loud mouth I am, saw fit to call him after I rolled through. He deflated his ego pretty quick, but how does being a flaming a hole benefit safety? After he apologized, he tells me hes just frustrated with dealing with truckers that dont speak English and I guess I was who it got taken out on.

Art, your post cheered me up a bit. If you have any thistles growing in your garden, I'd gladly buy them and pay the shipping to have them delivered to a scale house in Illinois. Or some sort of itchy rashy type weed if no thistles are currently available.
Replied on Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 09:15 AM CST
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Mr.Hermans If i could find a Market for the weeds in my garden i could park my trucks and stay home. Selling my produce for a profit is at least as big a challenge as trucking. If you find a Market for my weeds id share my weed growing expertise...lol. Art Pfluger "

I love it. My hobby farm is certified organic and i could really profit from a market for weed. Wait there is. Its got to be the right kind mr herman. Eld stands for energetic little dog. Put a little mutt in the truck and your good.
Replied on Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 12:04 PM CST

Art? Weeds in your garden? hehehe That's all I got with my desert landscaping in Cave Creek. Good Idea!

Dale, the only problem I had with DOT and scales was at the scale in California on I-10, before dropping down the hill to Ontario. Bunch of crooks there who had contacts with their "cousin" who ran a repair service, who would adjust your brakes if you didn't know how to do it. And several of us had incidents with a dishonest Brown Bear in Bucyrus, Ohio, who was actually suspended, or fired, when we all showed up in court to fight tickets that were all wrote up for six mph over the legal limit. Of course, Slo-hio has always been rough on speeding truckers.

Bloomington, Illinois has always been a hot spot where cops are concerned. Probably because the training center for new ones is, or was, located on the south end of town.

Art, I agree with you totally about the inflexability of the ELD and drivers who may not be able to end their day because they 'run out" of hours 30 minutes before ending their day. What crap. Especially since they are going to be off for ten hours, or their weekend.

Replied on Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 01:31 PM CST
+ 1
Andrew i have a cat under the hood and one in passengers seat. Shes been riding since i found her at 10 weeks old.
How big of hassle was your organic certification? Ive thought about it and practice organic growing but haven't gone any further.
So far everyone i know that carries a pet has been treated just a little better than not by law enforcement.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:08 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Yup love all of this new crap. Eld might be great for some. Im not into the lack of flexibility.I don't like the expense or one more thing to break. I now have at least 3 drivers per month out of hours 30 minutes from shop. I wouldn't stay out for that. So now i have to take another driver to get the truck last 20 -30 miles at whatever time of day. Its called respecting the guy that works for you. Then he ends up home for a minimum of 2days, but can't drive the last bit. Also can't run a few extra to get out of weather or traffic or something out of drivers control. I'm not this huge law breaker nor are my drivers. If you need a government box to tell you how to operate safely...get a different job. Art Pfluger "

yes, this is the one thing i truly love about the ELD.......getting up and driving out 50 miles so that my man can actually get back home to a hot shower, meal and proper rest for his re set.....yep its a real treat.....and all because a receiver took an hour longer to offload......thanks ELD

Replied on Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:08 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Andrew i have a cat under the hood and one in passengers seat. Shes been riding since i found her at 10 weeks old. How big of hassle was your organic certification? Ive thought about it and practice organic growing but haven't gone any further. So far everyone i know that carries a pet has been treated just a little better than not by law enforcement. Art Pfluger "

i wish i could add a pic of our cougar, 2 million mile cat, passed a couple of years back from a stroke, before that it was buster, another kitten that was a 2 mil kitty, both leash trained and a real nice company in the truck. the boys at the border always got a shock when they would check out the truck, heehee.

Replied on Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 04:30 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ANDREW WENGER
Quote: "I love it. My hobby farm is certified organic and i could really profit from a market for weed. Wait there is. Its got to be the right kind mr herman. Eld stands for energetic little dog. Put a little mutt in the truck and your good."

My neighbors are small organic farmers. They burn the weeds in the corn. They bought an old 4 row cultivator and mounted a propane tank on it and burners where the digger shanks were. Works pretty well for them. Sounds like an f16 taking off
Replied on Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 08:24 AM CST
Nancy
With true sincerity, glad to see a few posts. Hope you are well. Hope the cold weather is tolerable. I can't take it.

Unfortunately a sign of the times for us is that in our "golden years" we are having to come to grips with the loss of friends. Its difficult. We have more cats ( 5 right now ) than we probably should. 2 of them are at the end of the trail. 1 we bottle fed from 7 days old. Its silly i guess but hard to let them go and say goodbye.

People like my family don't fit in this business anymore. When our son quit it killed my interest in it. Now its just a struggle to grind on. I like a challenge but just to much animosity and stupidity anymore. People don't plan or take advice in an attempt to learn. The regulations are so stupid and stifling.

Hang in there
Art Pfluger
Replied on Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 10:56 AM CST

Alot of drivers on the road now know nothing about trucks. Many dont even know what make of engine is in the truck they drive.

. And good driver that drives a extra hour or two. Is much safer than the brand new drivet fresh out of school drive a 80000 lbs truck like it's a Honda civic !

Replied on Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 02:02 PM CST

something to think about next you want to let someone out in front of you from a store to be polite you can't ELD has got me in rush

Replied on Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:18 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KIMBERLY GRAY
Quote: "The driver shouldn't be speeding. That's the opposite of safe. I know truckers that would literally drive 20+ hours straight on paper logs and be falling asleep behind the wheel. I want the truckers to be safe and have time to rest instead of feeling like they have to go go go non-stop. Everyone deserves a break. "

If you really think that having an inanimate object tell a living, breathing being what is best for him is better then you are dilussional! If you think drivers like to run faster speeds, you are also dilussional!

With the government sticking their noses in where is should not be, in the name of safety, you can no longer operate the way drivers like to operate! It has forced everyone to be on the roads at the same time because 90% of shippers and receivers have bankers hours. now cram all that work into a 14 hour time clock and the driver has to drive faster to make the same amount as he did in years past when he could run at his own leisure. I know plenty of drivers who would, if it was possible, would run all night long and sleep during the day! Now that is not an option for them and you now have an increase of trucks on the roads during the day and a decrease of truck parking at night! It is great planning! The computers really thought this one out right for the government!

I have put my time in on the road, behind the wheel. I know what it feels like out there! Basically being treated like a second rate citizen! It is time to take a step back so we can move forward!
Replied on Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 12:29 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KIMBERLY GRAY
Quote: "Respectfully Dale, because I do respect you, my opinion isn't taking anything away from you, the implement of the ELD is taking that away from you. My opinion maybe hurt a sore spot and I'm sorry if I offended you. That was never my intention on any of my postings. I've seen a lot of people on here say they "have to speed" now with the ELD in place that I guess struck a nerve with me. No one should ever drive faster and feel that pressure. It's not safe but the way I took it, they're putting all the blame on the ELD and none on the driver using his best judgement. I do agree with you that this has taken away your choices and freedom to use your best judgement. And I completely understand you wanting to get home to see your family and get the job done. I was only trying to say at the beginning that we don't have the authority to legally change back to paper logs so fighting with each other about it won't change it. I've been badmouthed many times on here for it but I was truly never trying to offend anyone. "

When truck drivers say they have to speed, it means increase the speed they normally drive in order to accomplish the same amount of work. When I was on the road I never drove over 68 mph on the interstate because that is where I felt comfortable. Yes going down hill probably more but average 68. Now with being locked down by a computer with no flexibility makes drivers drive faster than normal. It may not be above the posted speed limit but it is still speeding to the driver and if it pushes them to a speed they are not comfortable with, then it is speeding. You need to take a step back and see what everyone sees that sits behind the wheel! These laws are made by people who have never seen the inside of a truck and pushed through by the political money from the big companies trying to make a one size fits all industry, but i can tell you that this is a human business and not all humans are alike! We need to be allowed to do what is comfortable for us!

Lets just remember, without the truck driver, NOTHING gets to the store shelves!!!
Replied on Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 02:31 PM CST
It seems like every industry that struggles turns out to be an industry that is ran by people outside of the industry. Imagine if landscapers were in charge of aircraft? Seems insane to say it, and yet here with trucking it's the same thing.

Ed, you are spot on. These truck stops are insane, absolutely insane. Everyone is annoyed, in a hurry and stressed out. My second biggest stressor is going to an area I'm unfamiliar with if it's a high traffic or busy area. Finding a parking spot, or access to fuel is a nightmare if you don't know the area. Most drivers go 45mph through truck stops, its dangerous to walk accross the parking lot. Those truckers are always the same ones, swift, prime inc, Schneider, same thing everywhere. Way way back in the corner is a safe owner operator struggling to not lose their minds. My biggest annoyance is dot. I respect law enforcement. I respect anybody that does their job, but I see the large majority of these people as angry, ignorant, impatient and maybe even abusive. I'm happy to assist any professional and polite official to inspect my rig at any time, anywhere. But how well does any trucker sleep after you've been screamed at by an ignorant blowhard. I'll take a butt chewing any time I deserve it. But I've been screamed at for assisting at an accident scene where I was the first person to show up. I don't need to explain it to the drivers, if you own your own truck, you are a target and you understand.

To be honest I've been running at night alot more. Driving through a city is so much easier. No traffic problems and no dot officials.

My ignorant opinion on safe roads is this. Dot inspectors must have a cdl and 2 years driving experience. Autoshift transmissions should be earned after 5 years of manual transmission driving experience. I bet if those two things happened accidents would drop and maybe they'd let us have breathing room on hours.
Replied on Sun, Feb 02, 2020 at 12:47 PM CST

So, like any of you make comment on ELD's when FMCSA was asking for comments? How about on sleeper birth hours? Or did you just figure I'll let somebody else do it? IF ya all don't speak up, how are they going to know there is a problem? And as a feed/ feed ingriendents hauler, I now stay close to home. I work rule 395.1 (k) to its limits. I have called, written the FMCSA, my House Reps, my Senators to explain my difficulties in handling the work load I do. How things just don't always go according to plan. And not feeding animals, or getting products to the mill because of a small hickup, just won't fly. And I think maybe I was in there explaining things well enough that some AG rules changed and I got some relief. Can you imagine being 10 miles from feed mill, or feed lot and have to call and say, "i'm out of driving hours and can't deliver". The odds of you ever hauling for that customer just went out the window. JIT delivery is what most run on. They know how much product they need every shift, how much storage they have, and order ingredients to match there schedule. FMCSA/ US DOT just tried to lump everyone into the same box. Well the game is different in my line of work, and they just have no forgivness. I have a constant demand to haul farther out, but I pass on all of that. I am not going to mess with rules that just won't allow me to handle my customers needs. So I stay near home, work the circle carefully.

Be safe everyone, shinny side up.

Replied on Sun, Feb 02, 2020 at 03:41 PM CST
Jeff I agree there. When I did my fmcsa comment I was number 3000 something. Nobody spoke up, but I see their point. I doubt anyone at the fmcsa actually read it, and if they did read it, it was probably a gender studies graduate with no highway experience. I've also talked to my elected officials and if I get a reply its usually some generic bullcrap forwarded from an intern. Safety safety safety blah blah blah. Until we get the public on our side, nothing will happen. The working class needs to learn to stand up for itself in public and social media, where its just an echo chamber of calloused hand hatred
Replied on Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 07:31 AM CST
Do you think it was any different for your grand parents? Nobody gave them anything, google Colorado coalfield war, or Chicago teamsters strike, and you will understand what made America great, it damn sure wasn’t letter writing campaigns and conflict resolution, or believing Santa clause would come save you.
Replied on Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 07:31 AM CST
Rockefeller had the National Guard use machine guns on your grand parents, but they stood their ground and fought back like samurai, instead of hiding under a rock and writing letters to some idiots in Washington, that have paid serpents wiping their ass for them.
Replied on Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 09:22 AM CST
Dale Hermans I'm in the same situation, I'd rather truck for 14-15 hours one day and spend about 2hours the next day dumping and preloading. That way I'm home every single day with my old pos 1995 daycab. If I were to do it the way I'm supposed to I would NEVER sleep i my own bed. And on that long day of "unsafe" driving through Chicago I'll get passed up by a equipment operator or laborer with a 24oz tall can on his/her way home from a 12hour workday
Replied on Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 02:21 PM CST
Did you say you have been in this industry for 2 years.