Home > Forum > 153 Fertilizer Loads In Oklahoma

153 fertilizer loads in Oklahoma

Dec 11, 2015 at 09:07 AM CST
+ 4
Yesterday, 12/10/15 they were 153 loads of fertilizer between inola, Catoosa and Enid. This morning was called and offered a load going to kansas, said I was not interested if the rate was like the rest, was told it was a little better, figured to $1.50 @ loaded mile. I refused the load. Shortly after that was offered one from Enid to garden City for $1.30@ mile. Sure glad to see loads piling up. Most of the loads go to an area where you have several deadhead miles to reload or you take an even cheaper rate to get to a good load. Good loads of maybe $1.80 to $2.00. That's not funny but true. I hope that not only we but employees at shippers and receivers can weather this problem because it is going to effect all. Hopefully the rates will get better soon. Everyone have a wonderful Christmas holiday.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:20 AM CST
Are you going fishing Steve? LOL
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:30 AM CST
+ 1
All I have to do is walk about 50 ft off the back deck and I'm there.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 09:40 AM CST
Quote: "All I have to do is walk about 50 ft off the back deck and I'm there."

Good at least you will be able to survive during this time. I am currently on the catch and release program with my company, every once in a while we find some keepers. The lake has shrunk down to a pond, and is fastly dryiing up, it may be time to call Obummer and ask him for help, oh that's right he won't help me because I am of a different discipline than all his buddies. Oh well guess there is always welfare, will have plenty of time to really go fishing then.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM CST
Can you direct me to the company in Oklahoma? We have capisity.

Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:57 AM CST
Not understanding the question. What company are you referring to?
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:05 AM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "Not understanding the question. What company are you referring to?"

I think he wants to know where you were getting those premium fertilizer offers from? LOL
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM CST
+ 3
I hope that's not what he's asking.I'm not certain I would be able to give this information out with a clear conscious.lol.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 05:01 PM CST
  1. I've been running into this on fertilizer loads just about everywhere not just in oklahoma. Called on one a few days ago that was under 300 miles that wasn't to bad on loaded miles I was just to far away from it. Called the same broker on another load out of the same location that was just under 500 miles and it payed less than the short one.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 05:16 PM CST
I can vouch. Enid OK to Phillipsburg KS area at $18 ton. Other hauls offering $0.89 running mile. No thanks!
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 05:35 PM CST
Quote: "Good at least you will be able to survive during this time. I am currently on the catch and release program with my company, every once in a while we find some keepers. The lake has shrunk down to a pond, and is fastly dryiing up, it may be time to call Obummer and ask him for help, oh that's right he won't help me because I am of a different discipline than all his buddies. Oh well guess there is always welfare, will have plenty of time to really go fishing then."

Caught a couple of keepers for my guys today. Whew this fishing thing is getting to be hard work.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 05:57 PM CST
+ 1
Must have spit tobacco juice on the worm to get a couple of keepers. Good going.
Replied on Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 07:53 PM CST
+ 4
Scott I was offered grain to go down to the port and fertilizer to come back to be dispersed throughout various points in Missouri you know the deal we do this every year what else is new for a whopping $1.31 round trip wow sign me up. Idiots, oops I hope I don't offend anyone for saying idiots but Trump has taught me well
Replied on Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 09:58 AM CST
Quote: "Can you direct me to the company in Oklahoma? We have capisity. "

Why would you haul this crap so cheap? You are part of the problem with rates and brokers keeping all the profit. I don't start my trucks for $1.50 per mile.
Replied on Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 09:58 AM CST
Quote: "Scott I was offered grain to go down to the port and fertilizer to come back to be dispersed throughout various points in Missouri you know the deal we do this every year what else is new for a whopping $1.31 round trip wow sign me up. Idiots, oops I hope I don't offend anyone for saying idiots but Trump has taught me well"

Right now we have idiots running loose everywhere, when a industry such as ours preys upon those what are less knowledgeble then themselves what do you expect. This is why we have to start working together to educate one another to level the playing field. I finally got the independent carrier group website done. This is not a load board but a private education site just for independent carriers.

www.independentcarriergroup.com
Replied on Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM CST
Kevin I'm not sure he accepted that load, he did say he was offered it. I hope he refused it.
Replied on Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 04:49 PM CST
+ 1
Boys and girls I notice several of you have viewed, my question is this. Is everyone having time to read while in line loading or unloading or has it come to the point where we are finally seeing that hauling for these type of rates is only allowing everyone except us with all the expenses to make the profit? I am hoping it's the latter of the two. Give me some of your thoughts.
Replied on Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 06:01 PM CST
Quote: "Boys and girls I notice several of you have viewed, my question is this. Is everyone having time to read while in line loading or unloading or has it come to the point where we are finally seeing that hauling for these type of rates is only allowing everyone except us with all the expenses to make the profit? I am hoping it's the latter of the two. Give me some of your thoughts. "

Steve it started last year with the so-called freight brokers getting ahold of the fertilizer and it also is happening this year its weird if you get a hold of it through a freight broker / say it is a $1.30 per mile if you get a hold of it through a commidity broker it's about 260 to 280 per mil it's amazing how the system works another reason why guys need to learn to use Commodity brokers vs these idiot freight brokers that do nothing but sell other people's loads that don't even know how to get thrown contracts what a joke screw them I hope to God when things get back to normal they never freaking call me never even think about calling me it would be nice I get tired of my phone ringing for shit rates.
Replied on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 08:18 AM CST
first of all trucking companies are struggling because they take what ever to keep the truck running and to try and keep a driver.whenn u have so many companies hiring drivers out of the crib that no nothing but jam gears and sleep and want home every night but want all the benifits to come to him. then you have brokers comming out of the wood work telling customers they will take all there freight at a lower price and then the freight brokers go belly up.all this is from greed.take care of the equipment and drivers you have and make a goal to rates you can keep safe dependable equipment saftey programs for trucks and drivers and pay and avreage ur rate per mile and stick to it there is enough freight for all if you take what you can haul.if something breaks down offer it to another trucking company with out gougging him after all he is the one pulling you out of the fire when that happens if we all stick together rates will go up and thr trucking industries will grow instead of closing.same as anything or problem we all need to work together as honest hard working people and live life the best we can without being greedy and trying to make it all for yourself.just having life and being able to support yourself is all we need lets get to work and put the honest reliable people back in and hopefully we all can survive this mess cause the customer and shippers arent going to do it especially with there wheelboro ,pickup or continental they no its to cheap
have a blessed day
Replied on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM CST
This is just a question only so don't come to my house and kill me for asking this I don't believe I would be adding to the problem but the way I figure it if guys are stupid enough to take shit loads and I can make more money sitting home doing nothing because of my connections after 20 years it gets a guy to thinking
Replied on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:28 AM CST
Jason it does get me to thinking, first off not all the ones out here have the 20 plus years of connections to rely on and able to sit back knowing that next good paying load is just waiting for phone call to get the load number. I realize that is fantastic knowing, but it doesn't solve the problems for many others out here that are still in the process of trying to get those type of connections. I don't believe anyone is going to come to your house and threaten you for saying that. I do look at it as we and not me. Very happy to see you've done well with the market, that is having your dividends paying you to actually do nothing, that's the only way I know that's accomplished. Have a great day big boy.
Replied on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM CST
+ 1
Just asking a simple question no reason to be a smartass but the big boy comment makes me think you are an ass hole
Replied on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM CST
I can be but wasn't trying to be. Maybe it just comes naturally when dealing with certain folks that has a guilt feeling about themselves. The big boy thing was not meant to be a discredit, I even call my grandons that. Have a great day little man. Is that better?
Replied on Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM CST
+ 2
Sometimes points get crossed by me simply because it is a forum and not in person. There are several of us on here that have offered our knowledge to help guide. Some brokers say rates have dropped when most have not, it seems that as in the past that brokers take advantage of a truckers lack of knowledge. If guys don't wise up to the fact that they don't know their business side of shipping as good as they think then what do they have to go on except what they are told. I have a buddy that owns a brokerage and is making a killing off the truckers lack of knowledge, it's a shame but a daily reality. If guys remain stubborn to the fact of not gaining sufficient knowledge then how can anyone complain. There's good rates still out there, don't let the brokers lie to you and say there's not. Good fishing, no worries
Replied on Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 08:54 AM CST
This mess crazy
Replied on Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM CST
Quote: "Scott I was offered grain to go down to the port and fertilizer to come back to be dispersed throughout various points in Missouri you know the deal we do this every year what else is new for a whopping $1.31 round trip wow sign me up. Idiots, oops I hope I don't offend anyone for saying idiots but Trump has taught me well"

Guys pissing all over themselves to run for $1.25 up my way, unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replied on Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 01:42 PM CST
Glenn this is what I don't understand maybe you can give me some insight Pam transport offers me a power only independent carrier agreement for a $1.57 all miles not including fuel discounts all I have to do is pull their trailer and prime down here where I live is offering a $1.69 average all miles in my neighbor just paid a $1.41 for his fuel with their discount so why would anybody think about hauling any loads that are being offered it doesn't make any sense
Replied on Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 06:33 PM CST
After fishing yesterday got a couple of keepers, not the best but much better over 2.10 a running mile. I took them, don't know what I am going to do after getting the 2nd one off.
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 10:11 AM CST
+ 1
Jason the ferilizer rates is crap because Gavilon (Commodity Broker) and key thinks that is where it needs to be, they can ship it by rail cheaper that is what I am told. So it is not the freight brokers when it comes to Fertilizer. All the other Fertilizer companies follow suit because Gavilon is the biggest and they get it right to move at those low rates.

You guys are quick to blame the freight brokers, but with out freight brokers most of you will boat with out a paddle.
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:00 AM CST
+ 1
I agree with you somewhat, as to Gavallon and the rail system. As far as freight brokers is conserned, I use to use them until I realized they don't have their own freight, and once a guy sees that he can bypass them and go to other direct sources, he will see how it all works. That is part of the new organization that is coming about, we are teaching guy's to utilize their authority.
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:10 AM CST
Quote: "Glenn this is what I don't understand maybe you can give me some insight Pam transport offers me a power only independent carrier agreement for a $1.57 all miles not including fuel discounts all I have to do is pull their trailer and prime down here where I live is offering a $1.69 average all miles in my neighbor just paid a $1.41 for his fuel with their discount so why would anybody think about hauling any loads that are being offered it doesn't make any sense"

Hey Jason i really wish i knew what some of these people are thinking up my way. I argue with them about what the are hauling for and the only response i get is gotta keep the cash flowing. Well like Ron White would say, you can't fix stupid!
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:30 AM CST
Glenn,
My dad use to say you can't fix stupid but you can breed it.
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:45 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Jason the ferilizer rates is crap because Gavilon (Commodity Broker) and key thinks that is where it needs to be, they can ship it by rail cheaper that is what I am told. So it is not the freight brokers when it comes to Fertilizer. All the other Fertilizer companies follow suit because Gavilon is the biggest and they get it right to move at those low rates. You guys are quick to blame the freight brokers, but with out freight brokers most of you will boat with out a paddle."

these rates are usually set months before movement and they are rated mostly for moving on rail cars, when the cars don;t show up and won;t show up for a while they try and move the loads for the equivalent of the rail rate as obvioiusly if they don;t they start to lose money. it's a simple as that. the carriers who take the loads have found better paying loads either on the front end or back end and so they want the loads. it sucks for everyone else but it is what it is, no one can afford to lose money in this atmosphere, so it has little to do with who has the loads. its all aboot the margins boys and the margins these days suck for everyone
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:51 AM CST
Quote: "Glenn, My dad use to say you can't fix stupid but you can breed it."

Jason, ur dad was/is a wise man, just got done with a cash flow statement with my lender, his words were, I got a few that aren't gonna make it and they don't no it yet!
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:57 AM CST
Quote: "Jason the ferilizer rates is crap because Gavilon (Commodity Broker) and key thinks that is where it needs to be, they can ship it by rail cheaper that is what I am told. So it is not the freight brokers when it comes to Fertilizer. All the other Fertilizer companies follow suit because Gavilon is the biggest and they get it right to move at those low rates. You guys are quick to blame the freight brokers, but with out freight brokers most of you will boat with out a paddle."

Cry me a river
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 12:46 PM CST
Quote: "these rates are usually set months before movement and they are rated mostly for moving on rail cars, when the cars don;t show up and won;t show up for a while they try and move the loads for the equivalent of the rail rate as obvioiusly if they don;t they start to lose money. it's a simple as that. the carriers who take the loads have found better paying loads either on the front end or back end and so they want the loads. it sucks for everyone else but it is what it is, no one can afford to lose money in this atmosphere, so it has little to do with who has the loads. its all aboot the margins boys and the margins these days suck for everyone"

Yeppers
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 01:06 PM CST

It is sad that you think we, as owner/operators, should take these cheap loads because the cost to go rail is cheaper. It is the freight brokers responsibility to push back on the shipper. When are the freight brokers going to stand up to the shippers and tell them the truckers are not going to drive for these rates. We parked our hoppers. We cannot survive on $1.15 a loaded mile.

I would rather be in a boat without a paddle than haul for these cheap rates where we cannot pay our bills. Soon the freight broker is going to be on the titanic with an iceberg in sight if drivers stop hauling their loads.
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 01:30 PM CST
Quote: "It is sad that you think we, as owner/operators, should take these cheap loads because the cost to go rail is cheaper. It is the freight brokers responsibility to push back on the shipper. When are the freight brokers going to stand up to the shippers and tell them the truckers are not going to drive for these rates. We parked our hoppers. We cannot survive on $1.15 a loaded mile. I would rather be in a boat without a paddle than haul for these cheap rates where we cannot pay our bills. Soon the freight broker is going to be on the titanic with an iceberg in sight if drivers stop hauling their loads."

rates in canada for super b's are anywhere from 3.50 > 5.15 per metric ton. i do not know how you guys survive down there. i could not even pick up the phone for any truck for those rates.

Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 01:39 PM CST
Quote: "rates in canada for super b's are anywhere from 3.50 > 5.15 per metric ton. i do not know how you guys survive down there. i could not even pick up the phone for any truck for those rates. "

lol per mile not metric ton obviously, i type too fast
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 02:06 PM CST
Quote: "rates in canada for super b's are anywhere from 3.50 > 5.15 per metric ton. i do not know how you guys survive down there. i could not even pick up the phone for any truck for those rates. "

That's the problem Nancy, we are not surviving. A lot of us are opting to park the hoppers or going out of business because the shippers and brokers are expecting us to run in the red.
Replied on Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 02:23 PM CST
I know one thing I have had to make numerous new connections that I thought I would never have to make in these down times but it has worked out for the better so when times get better and they do run out of trucks when the ELD 's go through and all the new changes that are getting ready to happen over a couple years I'm either going to break it off in the people that are breaking it off my ass right now or they can kiss my ass
Replied on Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 06:21 PM CST
Over here in Ohio if we don't get $4 to $ 4.80 a loaded mile we just say no and we stay busy !!
Replied on Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:56 PM CST
Shhhh!!!!

Replied on Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 08:44 PM CST
Quote: "Shhhh!!!! "

I think I just saw a mad dash to Ohio, think I will sit tight here have seen storm chasing before. Watch out Ohio here comes all the hoppers to get some of that good freight that was posted here. ShhhhhiiiiiiTTTT!!! The brokers will beat the truckers to it and it will drop by $1 by Monday, imagine those beating the road to get to Ohio only to find out that they got beat by the broker and his phone and computer.
Replied on Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 04:13 PM CST
Hi Mr. Sellhorst...I'm pretty close to ya, and I can never figure how some carriers (most) run for peenuts, and still keep going. Musta found a special on Viagra.
Replied on Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 07:44 PM CST
+ 1
The whole problem with the trucking industry is that everyone wants to be a broker to get there cut of the pie. It's getting pretty damn sicking to see all the damn time. I wish people would grow up and learn that this industry is not for everyone that thinks oh I know how to drive truck I'll be a trucker. Than a couple years later try to be a damn broker because I want more money. Well guess what they just need to work hard like the rest of the real folks do. And say no to the cheap freight. Wish people would f'in learn that they don't just screw themselves by taking cheap loads they screw the whole industry.
Replied on Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 09:14 AM CST
Good morning if all of you would keep in contact with one another you could solve the money issue ,peace have a good new year
Replied on Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM CST
+ 1
I'm glad to see this post and also glad I'm not the only one upset with the bad rates out of Colorado. I flat out refuse to haul these loads and don't send any of my trucks down there. We did just pull some fertilizer out of Idaho for 1.80 a loaded mile, we had a good rate to Idaho and used this as a "back haul." The current problem in my opinion is the word, "back haul." A load is a load, period. No matter what is in the hopper frieght should pay the same. I know this will never happen but 25 tons of ddg uses the same amount of fuel as 25 tons of fertilizer. Loads seem to be scarce in some parts off the country but if they aren't atleast 1.75 a loaded mile on 25 tons I turn them down. I feel if more people did the same, decent rates would return.

Just my 2 cents
Replied on Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM CST
Quote: "I'm glad to see this post and also glad I'm not the only one upset with the bad rates out of Colorado. I flat out refuse to haul these loads and don't send any of my trucks down there. We did just pull some fertilizer out of Idaho for 1.80 a loaded mile, we had a good rate to Idaho and used this as a "back haul." The current problem in my opinion is the word, "back haul." A load is a load, period. No matter what is in the hopper frieght should pay the same. I know this will never happen but 25 tons of ddg uses the same amount of fuel as 25 tons of fertilizer. Loads seem to be scarce in some parts off the country but if they aren't atleast 1.75 a loaded mile on 25 tons I turn them down. I feel if more people did the same, decent rates would return. Just my 2 cents"

I meant to say Oklahoma not Colorado.
Replied on Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM CST
Couldn't agree more on the simple word "Backhauls." We absolutely need to drop that word out of pricing freight. This is nota gimme load to get to point b. With all our regs., we hafta put up with, we need to be paid like a shop that works on our equipment. Shop towels, charged to us, oil dry, charged, power wash, etc. so let's stick together. We are a much stronger force that way....say NO to crappy rates. Thx