Home > Forum > 23.9 TONS OF DDG STUCK IN HOPPER.

23.9 TONS OF DDG STUCK IN HOPPER.

Aug 14, 2023 at 09:05 PM CST
+ 9 - 2
Hello Good day everyone, I picked up a load of DDG out of St Louis to deliver in Washington TX. Unfortunately after two days of trying multiple attempts to offload this product i was still not successful in offloading. I've tried vibrating, hammering, and shoveling and the product won't budge, only about a couple hundred pounds came out of both hoppers. (I was told the only way it's coming is if someone uses a backhoe to off load this product). I am willing to sell the whole load off DDG at discounted rate to recover my losses for these few days of being down 👎. Would you all be kind enough to spread the word to see if any local Farmers or Mom & Pop, would be interested in this product.. I wouldn't mind paying someone a fee to put something together to get rid of this product... Truck is located in Washington Tx but willing to travel to get rid of this product.. Cell Phone is 405-934-3379 Name is Romain Lettuce...call/text anytime. Thank you All,
Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 08:22 AM CST
This is the product DDG dry distilled Grain..
Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 10:44 AM CST

If it did what my last load did, get hard as concrete, it took 4 of us about 10 hours to get it out. Something was wrong with it. Should not get hard.

If it is just stuck but not rick hard, go get a 10 foot piece of 1/4 or 1/2 rebar. Stab it down from top till you get a little hole. Then just keep poking at the the bottom till you get a bigger hole. Poke it along walls until you get a few feet up. Thatlets off pressure. Then poke inward. I did this a lot .

Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 10:44 AM CST

Find a place with a hopper popper

Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 11:52 AM CST

The shipper should have known this DDG was that wet and requested a belt or walking floor. Hauling DDG in a hopper during the summer months should be a NO GO unless it's short hauls less than 200 miles.

Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 12:21 PM CST
Quote: "The shipper should have known this DDG was that wet and requested a belt or walking floor. Hauling DDG in a hopper during the summer months should be a NO GO unless it's short hauls less than 200 miles. "

I hauled for 7 months through summer fall. Wet crap fro NE mostly. It would sit in my trailer all weekend baking in the sun on my way to Texas and ok.

Miserable. 6 hours of hard work.

High protein stuff pours right out. But most places don't have it nor do people want to pay for it I guess.

Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 01:02 PM CST
Quote: "I hauled for 7 months through summer fall. Wet crap fro NE mostly. It would sit in my trailer all weekend baking in the sun on my way to Texas and ok. Miserable. 6 hours of hard work. High protein stuff pours right out. But most places don't have it nor do people want to pay for it I guess. "

Why would you keep going back for more if it was that miserable?

Replied on Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 02:41 PM CST
Quote: "Why would you keep going back for more if it was that miserable? "

Well I was trying to stick it out for 1 years for the otr time. Then I was going to work for Anderson. This was back when their dad still ran the company. Real good money.

But 7 months was all I could deal with . I wasn't making anything worth getting in the truck for. Let alone doing any work.

Replied on Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 01:33 PM CST

You might have to get some mud/ice scrapers, longer ones on heavy broom length handles. Get a hole started as described above and use the scrapers to slice it out like bread.

It's just as much fun as it sounds.

If you slice away at the bottom of the pile, on the hopper slopes, the entire pile can suddenly collapse on you. It'll move faster than you can.

Replied on Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 07:01 AM CST
Quote: "You might have to get some mud/ice scrapers, longer ones on heavy broom length handles. Get a hole started as described above and use the scrapers to slice it out like bread. It's just as much fun as it sounds. If you slice away at the bottom of the pile, on the hopper slopes, the entire pile can suddenly collapse on you. It'll move faster than you can."

I used a big scraper. Harbor freight sells a heavy duty one with a thick handle like a shovel. I put it inside a large PVC pipe from ace and drilled a couple holes and bolted it in. 10 feet of scraper. It is sharp. Have to round the edges so it don't stab holes in hopper. And it will.

Worked good. And rebar to stab a hole down through trap.

Replied on Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 07:05 AM CST

do what we have done before get a long enough peice of rod about half inch weld a couple of bolts on end of it put it on drill and you can make a hole from top down then can work around it

Replied on Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 12:19 PM CST
Quote: "do what we have done before get a long enough peice of rod about half inch weld a couple of bolts on end of it put it on drill and you can make a hole from top down then can work around it "

When I used to haul lots of it I hung rop down from bows over trap. On end I had a lawn mower blade tied up good so it would stay horizontal like mowing. I would jerk on that rope for a few minutes and pull it up and out. Nice hole to start.

I suppose any object that had points to dig in would work. A short piece of square tubing with rope through it would likely do a good job

Replied on Sat, Aug 19, 2023 at 04:10 PM CST
Gotta get a piece of pipe n knock it through the top down through your hopper door. Once u have done that start slowly making your hole bigger n bigger from side to side. But once u have your hole started pull pipe out n use it to make ur hole bigger. Hole shouldn't plug back up. Cause if vibrators or sledge hammer won't get it off. As bad as I'd hate to say it that's the only way. Don't get to hot n don't rush it still shouldn't take u 2-3 to get it off. I'm 58 years old n I just dug one off last week from loading probly from the same place. For 6 months of this year I hauled 14 loads a week between 2 trucks n we got them unloaded some easy but with DDG mostly had to beat even with vibrators and some using a piece of pipe. Smaller the better n work up way up. Most places u deliver already have pieces of pipe there for that reason.
Replied on Sat, Aug 19, 2023 at 04:11 PM CST
We got it all out a few days ago, thank you all for your friendly advice, God bless us all 🙏🙏🙏
Replied on Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 06:58 AM CST
+ 1

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I think you have the wrong equipment.

Replied on Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 11:53 AM CST

You should have been watching load u can see and smell if it's molded rotten or wet

Replied on Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 11:53 AM CST
Quote: "I used a big scraper. Harbor freight sells a heavy duty one with a thick handle like a shovel. I put it inside a large PVC pipe from ace and drilled a couple holes and bolted it in. 10 feet of scraper. It is sharp. Have to round the edges so it don't stab holes in hopper. And it will. Worked good. And rebar to stab a hole down through trap. "

Fence digger works real good

Replied on Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 02:01 PM CST
Quote: "Seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I think you have the wrong equipment."

My thoughts exactly. It only took me unloading one load of DDG out of a hopper, NEVER AGAIN. If you have to beat the heck out of your equipment to unload, you showed up with the wrong equipment.

Replied on Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 08:06 PM CST

There is no good trailer to haul that s***....stay away...

Replied on Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 07:13 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "There is no good trailer to haul that s***....stay away..."

It takes about 10 minutes to unload DDG from a belt or walking floor.

Replied on Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 06:56 AM CST

take high air high voi opne bottem door air 1 in let it roll hold on tight

Replied on Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 08:21 AM CST
Quote: "take high air high voi opne bottem door air 1 in let it roll hold on tight"

What?

Replied on Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 04:27 PM CST
I've hauled 1 from obion,tn. To tx hard as concrete. Laid on my back with a short handle spade. Chipping for 1hr then restart again for 2hrs. Closed doors and drove a few miles came back and it did collapse and wind rowed. Repeat process with 1st hopper. 6 hrs total. Beating knot rails don't work. Also had a good night sleep day before.
Replied on Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 11:43 AM CST

We use an industrial high volume compressor with a long wand when we get a load hung up cause it does happen several times a year for us and we haul a lot of it. Summer is the worst. But it works wonderfully blowing that s*** out on average we can get a stuck 30 ton load off in about 2-3 hrs

Replied on Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 06:33 AM CST
Quote: "We use an industrial high volume compressor with a long wand when we get a load hung up cause it does happen several times a year for us and we haul a lot of it. Summer is the worst. But it works wonderfully blowing that s*** out on average we can get a stuck 30 ton load off in about 2-3 hrs"

Now how do I go about shrinking that compressor down so it fits in my tool box ?

😁

Replied on Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 06:44 PM CST
Replied on Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 07:10 AM CST

Another driver and myself got into this from Mt Vernon IN to Byhalia, MS, Finally went in and got more help.

Was 7 of us, took 4 hours per hopper with 6 vibrators and hammering knockrails, plus an air hose under and inside trailer.

Make a hole in center product and when it wouldn't budge rock truck hard, then back at it with hammers air wand and even grain probe to stab and break it loose.