Home > Forum > Attention Brokers Who Haven’T Received Team SR Trucking’S 2018 Price Rates

Attention Brokers who haven’t received Team SR Trucking’s 2018 Price Rates

Jan 12, 2018 at 01:10 AM CST
+ 22 - 16
Attention Brokers who haven’t received Team SR Trucking’s 2018 Price Rates

I've been compelled to post this information because of the unbelievable amount of time wasted, on the phone arguing with brokers and shippers, that call Team SR, asking us to move a load at a rate that they think is so great in their perspective, but is not necessarily Team SR’s. So I need to explain some things. Regularly Team SR is $2.35 all miles, plus tolls, plus washouts, plus dead head, plus detention Etc. So their load that was paying $2.40 loaded mile will now actually cost them $3.65 loaded mile to have Team SR do it. Previous load restrictions;; on ND, SD, northern MN, and MT loads going to the east coast especially drive up those cost witch I’m fine with that I’m still $2.35 all miles at 310> miles dead head to get some of thesis loads ads about $28.00 per ton or more to the haul.

MINIMUM LOAD CHARGE….. Of $1200.00 for loads less than 400 miles is in place frankly to stay in business, by the time you load and unload there is no time to load a second load for that day so you just reduced your revenue per day to $940 when we typically gross $1800 per day. Short hauls must be priced at a higher rate, or we are simply not interested in hauling them …


Wash outs….. When a broker tells me he is willing cover the wash out at$ 65 or$ 75 I have to ask what about the 120 miles to and from the wash and the 3 .5 hr wait at the wash???? And possible lost load for the day. Then they tell me they don’t make the rules that come from their customers...its time you brokers start letting your customers know why they can’t get their product moved and why the rates are getting higher. Or is it just easier to say every previous load we haul was organic sunflowers???And sometimes that don’t even work. I believe our washout rate at $250.00 pulse $2.35 per mile is more than fair………
If you don’t want to pay it don’t ask me to haul it………

LOAD CANCILATION..... Once Team SR receives load conformation, brokers and sippers will be held liable for lost revenue due to cancelation whether it would be no product available, plant broke down, loader brook down, or just no load available due to broker over booking. Some brokers think nothing of it to cancel a load. We are more than fair with shippers and brokers if we can salvage some part of the day the charge will be $500.00 if we are unable to load that day you will be charged $1200.00 for lost revenue. When you order one of my trucks you better make sure you can us it.

DETENTION...... I’ve talked to Walmart, Macys, McDonalds, Burger King and asked do they ask their employees to work for free for the first 3 hours of each day. They said, "no ….how could you ask them to work for free….here''. At Team SR we don’t work for free either!!!!! Most brokers don’t have much to say when I ask them do you work for free the first 3 hrs every day………
After arriving on site customer will have one hour to load //unload after that wait time is billed at $100 per hr, and yes one hour after arriving on site not 3 hours later after waiting in line to scale ….to many companies try to pay off scale time to scale time.. Don’t like my prices?? Don’t call me, TEAMSR IS A BUSNESS NOT A NONE PROFIT!!!!!!

CANADIAN BORDER CROSSING.....$75.00 need I say any more.

Team SR has been in business since 1985 and is currently running 4 end dumps, 2 hoppers. I'd rather make $1800.00 to $2000.00 per truck per day with 6 trucks, than some other companies with 12 trucks making 800 to $1000 a day per truck and you know who you are……Some times less is more……..

Side note …. On ELDs never used them, never will. There is at least 3 ways around this, use them and stop complaining …go watch Bugs Life where the leaf falls in frount of the ants, they panic and dont know what to do, till someone just walks around. Then go watch Brave Heart… Learn grasshoppers..Stop bowing down to every BS law the government passes………..
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 09:32 AM CST
+ 3 - 3
I like the way you think. Needs to be more like you.,, I price everything on a bounce back rate. But I'm pulling a SS tube. Not doing ELD either I have used them don't have a problem with them exceptt when you want to plug something into my ECM. And TELL me I have to, really. They are really easy to use, you just follow big brothers guidelines, don't forget to punch all the pretty little buttons. Big company and government merge and screw the little guy. Not for me. By the way started trucking in 1977 saw deregulation come in.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM CST
+ 2 - 4
lmao
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Whats so funny? If everyone would do that the damn rates wouldn't be like they are. Come on tell us a story.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:44 PM CST
+ 1
I do agree with alot of that. Wait time should be 30 minutes. I think you forgot fuel surcharge. Fuel has spiked alot. Almost a dollar higher.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:04 PM CST
+ 3 - 2
so tell me...... on your detention time , is that based on an apointment to load or just when you show up. is there certain conditions on when and how you charge it ....ie: plant broke down , shortage of product... operational constraints or hours ? or is it plain and simple i'm here i get paid ?

Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:22 PM CST
+ 1 - 4
lol you want to charge me 150 bucks to cross the border??? does the driver have to get out of the truck and tow it across??? i hope this charge includes the actual entry performed on line.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:22 PM CST
+ 1 - 5
Originally Posted by: NANCY HARDER
Quote: "lol you want to charge me 150 bucks to cross the border??? does the driver have to get out of the truck and tow it across??? i hope this charge includes the actual entry performed on line. "

150 is for my rounder both ways, even 75 is ridiculous one way
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:24 PM CST
+ 2 - 2
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "so tell me...... on your detention time , is that based on an apointment to load or just when you show up. is there certain conditions on when and how you charge it ....ie: plant broke down , shortage of product... operational constraints or hours ? or is it plain and simple i'm here i get paid ? "

VERY good questions.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 02:22 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "so tell me...... on your detention time , is that based on an apointment to load or just when you show up. is there certain conditions on when and how you charge it ....ie: plant broke down , shortage of product... operational constraints or hours ? or is it plain and simple i'm here i get paid ? "

All of the above.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 03:17 PM CST
+ 6 - 1
Team SR runs it's operation the same as any other intelligent operation. Work to get paid. If you can't run your business and be able to buy new equipment every 5-7 years then you are not charging enough. If you work 70 hrs a week and live near the poverty line then you are not charging enough. Some just don't get it. Some can't read and this post won't help them anyway. If the truck doesn't make $3.00/mile minimum or $1000-$1500 per day, you ain't gonna make it. The idiots that can't do math and the super truckers that can't run a business are the ones that drive rates down.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 06:36 PM CST
+ 3 - 3
well...not everybody needs 3 dollars a mile ,it depends on the part of the country you are in , what your costs are as well as lots of other factors...... the guy that goes and buys the brand new 389 fully loaded leather seats and all peter bilt that has the 3700 dollar per month note has to make quite a bit more than the logocal guy that goes and buys the used t660 with 450k on it for 1200 per month....also if you run the south where fuel is quite a bit cheaper than up north and out west that makes a difference. now heres where you are going to bash me and i welcome it..but i run one way freight that pays me 350 per mile and dead head back to reload its 250 miles one way so yes i run a 500 mile round trip for 875 dollars , the thing is though i run it at 62 % profit which means i am well ahead of the game.... its real easy to throw out numbers and beat your chest screaming if you don't make this much blah blah blah then your a loser where in fact the big number means nothing , its the bottom line.....i walk away at the end of the week with quite a bit more in my pocket than the guys that claim they make the big money

Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 07:27 PM CST
+ 5
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "well...not everybody needs 3 dollars a mile ,it depends on the part of the country you are in , what your costs are as well as lots of other factors...... the guy that goes and buys the brand new 389 fully loaded leather seats and all peter bilt that has the 3700 dollar per month note has to make quite a bit more than the logocal guy that goes and buys the used t660 with 450k on it for 1200 per month....also if you run the south where fuel is quite a bit cheaper than up north and out west that makes a difference. now heres where you are going to bash me and i welcome it..but i run one way freight that pays me 350 per mile and dead head back to reload its 250 miles one way so yes i run a 500 mile round trip for 875 dollars , the thing is though i run it at 62 % profit which means i am well ahead of the game.... its real easy to throw out numbers and beat your chest screaming if you don't make this much blah blah blah then your a loser where in fact the big number means nothing , its the bottom line.....i walk away at the end of the week with quite a bit more in my pocket than the guys that claim they make the big money "

This is the problem.. where if you have an old paid for truck.. you should charge less... it shouldnt make any difference...when we were regulated they didnt care if you had a wheel barrow or a million dollar truck.. all the same rate..those that want to have new equipment have payments.. those with older equipment have mechanic payments..but that truck whether new used whatever should be making today with the ELDs about 1000 to 1200 a day..every other business whether a 20 year old plant or a brand new plant charges you the same price..they dont work for free..funny how we are expected to..ever dealt with the railroad or a ship company..when they say they are leaving..if you arent ready for them to leave...that cash register starts to go cha ching.. cha ching.. and you get charged for it..Why cant we?the time to work for free needs to be over...or we all just need yo go home.. and get a job at mc donalds..they dont work for free there..
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 07:28 PM CST
+ 1
You just reinforced the point I was making. Thank you.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 07:43 PM CST
+ 4 - 3
but you see we are not regulated and we are not under union control , we live in a free society and can operate to the best interest of our own businesses you say...oh i need to be oaid this much and i need to be paid for this and that , ok...well you are a trucker and you want to be paid for every little thing you do...lets say you get that from your customers..... but lets say at the same time on detention , if they give you and 8 am appointmenst but do not load you until noon you want to be paid....ok ..well if you do not show up until noon because you were delayed for any reason but your appontment was 8am are you more than willing to pay them the cost of operating thier plant for 4 hours while waiting on you, no matter the reason you are late

also , you want to be paid for som ething extra...are you willing to pay the shipper a bucket fee per bucket it takes to load you with a wheel loader , or a slide gate fee to open the gate on a storage bin ?

how about a gate fee out front in the drive for the guy to push the button to open the gate....i mean afterall you do want to be paid for every little thing you do concerning that load correct ? so its only fair that the shipper or reciever have all their little accessoral fees as well is'nt it ?

if fuel in my region is 30 cents on average cheaper than your region and insurance rates are 15 to 20 % cheaper as well as other fees then can i not charge less than you and stil make the same money ? i would think i could as well as make a larger profit.......you say you need 3 bucks where you are where i can clear more doing it where i am for 25% less but what about the west coast they may need 4-% more to clear the same as you which is still less than me so.....you make my point statment really has no merit.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 08:22 PM CST
+ 4 - 2
Kevin, your statement about wait time makes no sense. If I don't show up for an appointment time, how have I cost the plant anything? They are there regardless. If I show up and they don't load me in a timely manner they are costing me money because I could be under another load rolling down the road making money. So to your way of thinking if your truck breaks down and you can't be there, you pay. If you show up on time but they don't load you on time you also pay.

It sounds like you are proud of the fact you are running old equipment. Wouldn't you rather be driving a nice new truck? You are going to make payments or repairs, that's just the way it is. I don't know your personal life, but myself, I like to live in a nice house and buy a new pick up truck every few years. I could run around for $1.75 a mile and not have those things but why would you choose that way?

You sound like a cheerleader for brokers and big business. They have nice things, that they got from profiteering off of others. Think about that. We are the ones out here doing the actual work. Maybe you are a broker trolling this forum just to be a pain in the a## I don't know what your deal is.

In case you were wondering, I did like I was told and bought an eld because I'm no outlaw. Not that the Rand Mcnally piece of crap has worked right since I bought it, but I did what I was supposed to do.

If you are actually a trucker, I can't understand your continual desire to argue with the guys that you should be sticking together with to improve our industry. I'm sick of typing now. When guys with these backward ideas finally leave the industry, it will be a better place.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 09:47 PM CST
+ 4
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "but you see we are not regulated and we are not under union control , we live in a free society and can operate to the best interest of our own businesses you say...oh i need to be oaid this much and i need to be paid for this and that , ok...well you are a trucker and you want to be paid for every little thing you do...lets say you get that from your customers..... but lets say at the same time on detention , if they give you and 8 am appointmenst but do not load you until noon you want to be paid....ok ..well if you do not show up until noon because you were delayed for any reason but your appontment was 8am are you more than willing to pay them the cost of operating thier plant for 4 hours while waiting on you, no matter the reason you are late also , you want to be paid for som ething extra...are you willing to pay the shipper a bucket fee per bucket it takes to load you with a wheel loader , or a slide gate fee to open the gate on a storage bin ? how about a gate fee out front in the drive for the guy to push the button to open the gate....i mean afterall you do want to be paid for every little thing you do concerning that load correct ? so its only fair that the shipper or reciever have all their little accessoral fees as well is'nt it ? if fuel in my region is 30 cents on average cheaper than your region and insurance rates are 15 to 20 % cheaper as well as other fees then can i not charge less than you and stil make the same money ? i would think i could as well as make a larger profit.......you say you need 3 bucks where you are where i can clear more doing it where i am for 25% less but what about the west coast they may need 4-% more to clear the same as you which is still less than me so.....you make my point statment really has no merit."

That makes no sense Kevin why would you pay someone to load when they are the ones needing there product moved. Also the gate keeper and loader operator already get paid by the hour for everything they do. I hope you stay west of the Mississippi I can't compete with you.
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 09:50 PM CST
+ 3 - 2
nope i'ma independent owner operator...and as far as dentention time i have been on both sides of that game i have been the trucker and i have been the shipper reciever.... and unless you are willing to operate on a two way street then it don;t work , how would or could anyone expect to be paid dentention at a first come first serve facility... so you go to appointments....now when your appointment is at 4pm and you show up at 8am and want to be unloaded you get pissed when your told nope your appointment is 4pm and then you still want to be paid , no sir its people like you that think you are entitled to things on a one sided playing field.... if my plant breaks down and i cannot load you on time you want to be paid , but if your truck breaks down and you cannot deliver on time you owe me nothing....really are you serious , i pay you if i do not fulfill my obligation but when you do not fulfill yours i'm supposed to "understand" and as far as brand new versus used equipment i have an 07 kenworth that has cost me next to nothing to operate for the 6 years i have owned it and i will on any day put it up agaist your brand new truck in a level 1 by whichever state agency you choose....and as far as new equipment its your choice what you buy whether new or used , just because its new does not mean its better it just means it has a bigger payment to go with it....and your right i live at poverty level doing what i do , i can only affford the regular balcony cabins versus the huge suites on the 4 to 5 cruises i take every year that my old used piece of shit truck buys for me.... you enjoy your payments i'll enjoy my profits .
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 09:58 PM CST
+ 5 - 1
oh and one more thing , go check the team sr saferweb..... they show one unit , and they also show as per saferweb 1 inspection in 2016 with a 100% out of service record and then look at all the violations the driver got from failure to show duty status to inoperable brakes ending with a unrateable on safety rating.....maybe they do run 6 trucks , but i have seen nothing to indicate all the big numbers and big talk thats been posted
Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:49 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "well...not everybody needs 3 dollars a mile ,it depends on the part of the country you are in , what your costs are as well as lots of other factors...... the guy that goes and buys the brand new 389 fully loaded leather seats and all peter bilt that has the 3700 dollar per month note has to make quite a bit more than the logocal guy that goes and buys the used t660 with 450k on it for 1200 per month....also if you run the south where fuel is quite a bit cheaper than up north and out west that makes a difference. now heres where you are going to bash me and i welcome it..but i run one way freight that pays me 350 per mile and dead head back to reload its 250 miles one way so yes i run a 500 mile round trip for 875 dollars , the thing is though i run it at 62 % profit which means i am well ahead of the game.... its real easy to throw out numbers and beat your chest screaming if you don't make this much blah blah blah then your a loser where in fact the big number means nothing , its the bottom line.....i walk away at the end of the week with quite a bit more in my pocket than the guys that claim they make the big money "

Please don't take this the wrong way... I'm literally asking you NOT to.. but I've been an O/O for over 14 Years... and I don't profess to know everything but I am BAFFLED as to how you think a 500 mile for $875.00 in revenue is winning... I understand that your looking at it being $1.75 for all miles but seems like you could increase that number... When it comes to mileage an pay... alot of the time, the PAY is NOT what to be considered... I'm looking at you driving 250 miles for NOTHING... I know your looking at the fact that you probably average 5.5 miles per gallon... and your using what $260.00 in fuel per load and deadhead.. which is netting you $615.00 per turn.... is my assumption about right????? which is $3,075 a 5 day week... or using your numbers your netting about $540.00 per turn at your profit rate.. which is $2,700 a week.... I still can't get over you driving 1,250 miles a week and not making any money... that JUUUUUUST doesn't seem like your winning... but if you consider an average person only make $800 to $1,000 a week at a regular job and your making $2,700 then I guess you are winning... I'll admit.. I'M CONFUSED DUDE!!!

Replied on Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:32 PM CST
+ 1 - 2
yeah alot of people cannot figure it out , and to be honest i could no figure it out at first , but then you run the numbers omg how the hell could nyone make any money if they only make 1.75 for every mile they turn from the time they roll out of thier driveway until they roll back in thier driveway right ? well your close on your numbers , 1200 on fuel leaves 3205....250 per week covers all of my other expenses , ins. tags. 2290 etc... which leaves 2955.... that is a 67% profit margin no matter how you look at it..... of if you want to look at it another way thats .56 cents per mile to operate which means i'm turning a profit of 1.19 to 1,20 per mile.... i ran 83, 346 miles last year.... i had less than 3000 in repair expense ....83, 346 miles at 1.19 per mile profit = 99181.74....take away ...4k spent on the truck in preventive and repair that still leaves 95181...... everyone says i run cheap and i'm this and i'm that..... thats great....i will gladly take my 95 and enjoy life my way....you take your 3 bucks or 4 bucks and keep crying about rates....

Replied on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM CST
THANK YOU! Most brokers and a lot of shippers needed that verbal tune up. Everything is about profit and how to beat it out of the truckers.
Replied on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 07:01 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Kevin in my "opinion" you are a part of the problem. You never seem to be part of the solution. There are a few flaws in the original post, but for the most part this is just a man trying to express himself and his way of doing business. The whole border crossing fiasco, luckily, I don't know about. I doubt you do either. You want to run cheap and continue to be the person embracing the ELD Mandate go for it. I'm not going to stand in your way.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 07:47 PM CST
- 1
explain to me some things.....

number one explain to me how it is that i am part of the problem ????

explain to me how it is that i embrace and support the eld mandate ?????

do you run at 67% profit with even one of your trucks ???

heres what i always see from you and several others...i always see whing bitching pissing and moaning....I haul cheap in your eyes well thats great , but if you duys are getting your 3 , 4 , 5 or more dollar a mile freight then you should be dancing in the streets. and ;aughing at guys like me but your not you looking at me and being pissed because i'm doing damn good doing things the way i am


now as far as your little statement about the eld mandate , i read the the reports i researched i studied i did a HELL of a lot more looking onto things than i can guarantee you did ,and i would be willing to bet that between you and i and alll you otherpeople that are whining you are also rushing to the plate to put more money into the pockets of the ata so that they can shove more legislation down your throats and you do it willingly and happily you may say bullshit how do you think that , well i do not think it i know it for fact...nut i can promise you this ole boy right here does not and has not in a very long time

so go on and whine that i;m part of the problem when its really you guys that like to point fingers and wallow in the mess you have financed for yourselves...lmao
Replied on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 08:18 PM CST
+ 1
Kevin if you would have just said you are getting 3.50 a loaded mile, you would be everybodies hero.
Replied on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 08:55 PM CST
+ 1
Thats wonderful you are getting 67%.. whats happening is everybody has different costs..and when somebody undercuts then its hard for others to try to make any money.. wouldnt it be funny if schneider or jb hunt got into the bulk hauling business...then you could see 47% or 27%..then it wouldnt be so wonderful for you..and really funny thing..if they think they could make ten bucks a day profit...they would jump right in it..then where will everybody be? Broke...then schneider and jb hunt..or any big trucking company would have everybody out.. then they would see 100 bucks a day profit..and have all of the bulk shippers locked up into contracts..and be able to supply them with 1 truck ..or 500 if needed...
Replied on Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 09:12 PM CST
- 1
ohhh man..yeah i see what your saying there , you mean like werners bulk division , yeah they pull hoppers too yeah thats really destroyed things has'nt it yeah and ummmm stevens transposrt got into the frac sand hauling in the oilfields nd vacuum trucks too and thats really been devastatiing yeah and ffe is eben in the oilfield game so its really gotten cheap. you see i said i run 1.75 for allllllllllllll my miles not just loaded.... i see bulk haulers everyday deadheading up to 250 300 miles to reload ..you know those empty miles factor in....like the other guy said i coulda just lied like so may others and said ....oh yean man hey i don't move for less than 3.50 but that would be the same lie they tell , my loaded miles are 3.50 or a little better per mile depending on my weight....i am on a set dedicated haul same exact roads routes turns stops etc. every day. ...i finally got smart and stopped chasing this so called "good" freight and found me a niche and i'm doing great and love it....but yes your prediction came true before you made it....the megas are already in the bulk biz....
Replied on Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM CST
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "Thats wonderful you are getting 67%.. whats happening is everybody has different costs..and when somebody undercuts then its hard for others to try to make any money.. wouldnt it be funny if schneider or jb hunt got into the bulk hauling business...then you could see 47% or 27%..then it wouldnt be so wonderful for you..and really funny thing..if they think they could make ten bucks a day profit...they would jump right in it..then where will everybody be? Broke...then schneider and jb hunt..or any big trucking company would have everybody out.. then they would see 100 bucks a day profit..and have all of the bulk shippers locked up into contracts..and be able to supply them with 1 truck ..or 500 if needed... "

Already happening. I saw a JB HUNT DCS truck pulling a auger/stinger trailer for foster farms on thursday in Ca.
Replied on Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 04:17 PM CST
Originally Posted by: WES CROSLOW
Quote: "Already happening. I saw a JB HUNT DCS truck pulling a auger/stinger trailer for foster farms on thursday in Ca."

I am guessing that Team SR's rates will look pretty good, come spring time. Trumps infrastructure projects are next on the table, and that is going to pull a lot of drivers away from other markets. Given that so many people are leaving the industry right now, and there is practically nobody coming into anymore, the shippers and brokers are going to have to give up a big chunk of there profits, and readjust there lifestyle.
Replied on Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 03:34 PM CST
Kevin, your statement about wait time makes no sense. If I don't show up for an appointment time, how have I cost the plant anything? They are there regardless

Well i guess you don't think there is someone in front of you or behind you, it's all you. so tell me, why should a shipper/receiver pay wait time for a truck who sets an appointment and doesn't show up? and you probably also think that is the shipper/receiver's only job is to wait for you. Think again, you are not willing to pay anyone any extra for your bad planning or no updates of delay and yet you want them to pay you to wait as they were performing another job because you didn't show up? What am i missing here?
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 02:01 AM CST
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "explain to me some things..... number one explain to me how it is that i am part of the problem ???? explain to me how it is that i embrace and support the eld mandate ????? do you run at 67% profit with even one of your trucks ??? heres what i always see from you and several others...i always see whing bitching pissing and moaning....I haul cheap in your eyes well thats great , but if you duys are getting your 3 , 4 , 5 or more dollar a mile freight then you should be dancing in the streets. and ;aughing at guys like me but your not you looking at me and being pissed because i'm doing damn good doing things the way i am now as far as your little statement about the eld mandate , i read the the reports i researched i studied i did a HELL of a lot more looking onto things than i can guarantee you did ,and i would be willing to bet that between you and i and alll you otherpeople that are whining you are also rushing to the plate to put more money into the pockets of the ata so that they can shove more legislation down your throats and you do it willingly and happily you may say bullshit how do you think that , well i do not think it i know it for fact...nut i can promise you this ole boy right here does not and has not in a very long time so go on and whine that i;m part of the problem when its really you guys that like to point fingers and wallow in the mess you have financed for yourselves...lmao"

Kevin, I’m confused.... you put 250 dollars a week away for insurance, plates ect, but that’s not going to cover maintenance and tires, a blown motor or buying newer equipment? So explain this so called 67% profit
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 08:40 AM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: NANCY HARDER
Quote: "Kevin, your statement about wait time makes no sense. If I don't show up for an appointment time, how have I cost the plant anything? They are there regardlessWell i guess you don't think there is someone in front of you or behind you, it's all you. so tell me, why should a shipper/receiver pay wait time for a truck who sets an appointment and doesn't show up? and you probably also think that is the shipper/receiver's only job is to wait for you. Think again, you are not willing to pay anyone any extra for your bad planning or no updates of delay and yet you want them to pay you to wait as they were performing another job because you didn't show up? What am i missing here?"

need to go back and read what i saiod , the basics of it was ...if you want or expect to be paid , then you need to be willing to pay. ie: if you have an 8am appoiuntment and the bin is full and you have to wait 4 hours to unload you want to be paid .... if the bin is empty and you are late and they have to shut down the production line and wait on you then you should pay....right ? ...... or if you pull a flatbed and the crane is late you want to paid......but if the crane is waiting on you then you should pay for the crane time for waiting on you..right ? or are you one of those operators that feel like you are entitled t be paid for someone else failure to fulfill obligation , but its ok if you do not and they should just east that cost ?
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 08:51 AM CST
+ 2 - 1
Originally Posted by: TROY JEFFERS
Quote: "Kevin, I’m confused.... you put 250 dollars a week away for insurance, plates ect, but that’s not going to cover maintenance and tires, a blown motor or buying newer equipment? So explain this so called 67% profit"

well thats easy , when i bought this truck i bought it and put it on the road as a business , not a rolling atm machine, the very first thing i did was started a repair fund , and i contributed to it until i had a motor transmission set of rears , brake job front end rebuild , clutch brake job and set of tires deposited..... once i got that where i wanted it then it was put on money market and still is making interest now....beyond that. my maintence cost other than pm service has been very very low. i keep a close eye on my business and head off as many problems as possible before they even begin to become a problem , so....if i were to factor that in i would still be at well over63% profit. as far as equipment updates , i'm pulling a 2017 trailer and more than likely will not upgrade my truck but if i do , when it is time for a motor i will reevaluate the overall condition and if i feel that i need to replace the lil girl , the cash was set aside a few years ago to either rebuild or pay cash for a replacement......when you open a business if you do not know your field and enter with a strategy then success is still achievable its just very difficult......... I have a brother in law that decided after i bought my truck he could do the same and have the same results , he bought a 2010 columbia with 500k for 30k and got a good lease for it..... rather than a strategy he ran his like an atm machine. a year in he blew the motor , not repair fund and nothing in the bank he is noe 60k in the hole on a 30k truck....... he had it figured out , and i'm a dumbass..... so to answer your question , i'm covered , the truck has built its own backup account , my profits are strong . and i sleep very well at night.
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 01:27 PM CST
+ 2
I'm gonna be honest, it just sound like most of you truckers are closet socisalists. You want the whole industry to pay you and take care of you but I don't see you coming up with any innovations. Capitolism, they thing Trump and conservatives say they stand for, is all about innovation and providing a better product/service at a better price. You want to get paid more, earn it. innovate. Either find a way to do it for cheaper and still be profitable or provide a service worth the higher rate.
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 01:47 PM CST
smart business man, the one who wins these days are the ones that have their trucks paid off and have a plan like yours.
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 02:04 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: J WORTHINGTON
Quote: "I'm gonna be honest, it just sound like most of you truckers are closet socisalists. You want the whole industry to pay you and take care of you but I don't see you coming up with any innovations. Capitolism, they thing Trump and conservatives say they stand for, is all about innovation and providing a better product/service at a better price. You want to get paid more, earn it. innovate. Either find a way to do it for cheaper and still be profitable or provide a service worth the higher rate."

How many trucks do you own johnathon ? what do you haul with your trucks johnathon ? what is your business strategy.....johnathon ?
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 03:44 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "How many trucks do you own johnathon ? what do you haul with your trucks johnathon ? what is your business strategy.....johnathon ?"

His strategy is to call all carriers with lanes to see what they will to the haul for and then go back and cut that rate and try to get the same carriers to do the work. As you may as well have seen, NOT a fan!
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 03:55 PM CST
+ 1
Kevin, I don't know why you are attacking me. I am on your side here. You found a niche, and are running it. My truck would be finding you a return load so half those miles weren't "empty miles" and you could double dip. Paying you faster than most of the shipper pay me so carriers want to work with me (and i have a dedicated group of carriers). Keeping track of those carriers that don't do a good job and preventing them from picking up those loads I am responsable for and screwing my clients like some of your cohorts have been known to do. If you ask around I pay a fair rate. My money is made from privideing these proactive services to my customer so they don't have to doit themselves and can rest easy they freight is getting to where is it going to go safely, getting there when its suppose to get there, and if there is an issue my clients find out as soon as it arises so they aren't waiting for the truck to show up that broke down and never called. As was cited before you know that happens. I am at work 24/7; I don't get "10 hours of uninturrepted" time. I'm ok with that but, by all means, I am the problem. Not the "Pay me because I said so but I won't be held responsible for my mess ups" that I encounter EVERY DAY. You found what works for you. You innovated and provided a service for less than some of these other yahoos that are craping on you for running "cheap". My only point is an awful lot of these forums seem to be "we should band together because we don't want to be regulated" (which is definition fo anti capitolim) Well if the industry didn't want to be regulated then it should have policed Itself.
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 04:00 PM CST
Actually ed, I charge my customer a premium because i give good service and i pay a fair rate to the truck on the lanes I run. maybe take one of MY loads and see if i screw you. I don't have to call "all the carriers" in an area because i know what a fair rate is and pay my trucks that. When i call my guys on my lanes they pick up and know I am going to take care of them but you do you. :)
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 04:51 PM CST
Originally Posted by: J WORTHINGTON
Quote: "Actually ed, I charge my customer a premium because i give good service and i pay a fair rate to the truck on the lanes I run. maybe take one of MY loads and see if i screw you. I don't have to call "all the carriers" in an area because i know what a fair rate is and pay my trucks that. When i call my guys on my lanes they pick up and know I am going to take care of them but you do you. :)"

3.50 a loaded mile isn’t cheap, so what’s you fair rate?
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 05:24 PM CST
- 2
I attacked you ? please in detail explain to me how i attacked you ? I simply asked you 3 direct questions to which i have recieved no answer to but did get an accusation of..... once again..how many trucks do you own ? how long have you owned them and what is your business strategy ?..johnathon....
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 05:32 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
ok here is something else boys and girls..... alot of you think you know my operation but you do not , i tell you what i run but do you know where i run it from / to ? no you do not , now the back haul thing sounds great i run 250 loaded and deadhead back 250...lets explore that..... if i wanted to load something back , i would have to deadhead 100 miles further north to get wheat midds in an over truck populated area which would force me to adjust my rate to market dictated norm , which would mean i would be loading south for 700 bucks for 245 miles to the closest place to where i reload , and then its 175 mile deadhead from there back to my base load ...so therefore i would be loading a 700 dollar load that went 245 miles and still involved 265 miles which is 15 more than my initial 250 mile bounce back , which would also involve me tying up 2 days on a 850 dollar load and a 700 dollar loa for a total of 1550 dollars where as i could just say screw that and bounce back and get another 850 dollar load amkiing me 1700 dollars for 750 ,miles of work rather than 1550 dollars for 765 miles of work...... but....i'm just a dumbass you guys are the brains...right ?
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 05:42 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "I attacked you ? please in detail explain to me how i attacked you ? I simply asked you 3 direct questions to which i have recieved no answer to but did get an accusation of..... once again..how many trucks do you own ? how long have you owned them and what is your business strategy ?..johnathon...."

I have explained my business strategy, and from the context you should be able to tell I don’t OWN any trucks nor does my it have any bearing on what I said. That is how you are attacking me. You say that to try and undermine my credibility and imply I am part of the problem. Troy, also as I though you would gather from context, I was referring to previous posts where he referred to being called cheap carrier and where otbers insinuated. And to DIRECTLY answer your question It depends on the lane and time of year. It’s ecnomics, the free market, capitalism. You just like everything else are a commodity and supple and demand affect you as well. You want a “industry standard rate” go to a socialist/communist country where they will tell you where to be and when. Read some Adam Smith. Hate brokers. I don’t care.
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 05:52 PM CST
- 1
soooo..... you do not own any trucks but yet you are schooled in what it cost to own , operate , and maintain a trucking business...... you know....i worked in the oilfiled drilling oilwells for alot of years on and off as well as all my family are life long oilwell drillers , and although i have been in the field and i know the basics of drilling completing and producing a well as well as i have a round about knowledge of the cost of it all , since i have never done it......but have been involvd in it..... i have no grounds to tell the people that do and have done it how much i can do for them and how they should be doing it in order to be cost effective and capitalist this and that..... you see its people like you that have NOT done it...but think because they have KIND OF done it by proxy that they know what i have done and have gone through and what it takes to be profitable..... go buy yourself a truck and then go work for 1 or 10 brokers and then after that go get you some direct freight and provide the actual service and then...only then , go get back behind your phone and dessk and come back and tell me all about how to do it...... you know them guys that sit on the couch on sunday and coach all the football teams...... yeah...thems brokers too....lol
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:27 PM CST
+ 3
Kev ...as always so angry! What's up with that? Do you have some control issues? I'm well educated and am aware of your doctorate thesis in Total Control of Everything in Trucking, bbut really.
Honestly what you miss time and again is you are an expert in your own tiny insignificant world. There are many of us with different business models. That doesn't make the rest of us outside of your control wrong. If an ELD works for you... GREAT...but don't expect me to rollover and accept it. It has been costly for some of us.
Realistically attempting to reason with you or get you to understand a different type of world is like the proverbial pig in mud argument. Your utopian ELD world has given you much more time for this folly than I have. Thank God.
Good luck Kev.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:48 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
lmao.... you know one of these days your gonna stumble off that soap bpx and hurt yourself , me angry ? lmao , never been happier , i do find it amusing especially that rather than ever answer anything you always try to turn thongs around and make your self out to be the utopian god or the victim which ever fits better at the moment. you know i run intrastate texas m which means not only do i run a completely different set of hos rules but i also do not have to run an eld oin any year truck until 2019 if i even have to run one then.....it just really amuses me that all you scott jordan clonish types feel as though you are so superior and have so much figured out when in fact the eld was pretty much financed by all you people that claim to hate it so much and now refuse to not only take resposibilty for it but think calling someone is going to make it go away. no , sore rose, or art or petunia or fred or whoever you are , but i write all the things i write on here with a smile or grin on my face because i know that most of it really irks you people ass because i'm successful and living the dream and you por guys can't stop hating life or yourselves long enough to see that you are your own worst enemies.....but hey...lolololol you just keep throwing them stones my way and i'll keep piling them up and then start a rock yard and make even more money when theres enough of them....lmao
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 07:50 AM CST
Hey Kev, you've gotten your say now settle down or I'm gonna come let the air outta your steer tires while your taking a nap over there in the woods!

K Eric Bagwell
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:08 AM CST
- 1
get after it i got a airhose and time to kill.
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:15 AM CST
Ok big money! How you been? Long time no see.
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:16 AM CST
Originally Posted by: ERIC BAGWELL
Quote: "Ok big money! How you been? Long time no see."

Wanna sell me that truck and your traffic lane? LOL
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:17 AM CST
- 1
sure 100k
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:20 AM CST
Cas or check? I just need the truck. Wanna park it out front so you won't have to comply with the impending2019 eld mandates...
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:58 PM CST
Originally Posted by: J WORTHINGTON
Quote: "Actually ed, I charge my customer a premium because i give good service and i pay a fair rate to the truck on the lanes I run. maybe take one of MY loads and see if i screw you. I don't have to call "all the carriers" in an area because i know what a fair rate is and pay my trucks that. When i call my guys on my lanes they pick up and know I am going to take care of them but you do you. :)"

Actually this is Keith and TQL does not even get a look in my book! I have had WAY to many fishing calls to see what we would run certain loads for and then the rates given were cut! It is my experience after 30 years in this business that you work with people who have proven themselves to you! Your company has, as well as a few others have landed on the do not call list because every time I have called on a load it has been a fiasco! Not to mention the countless others who have worked with your company that have not been paid because of a glitch in the system. You want to beat your chest as a great brokerage? Prove it! Pay your bills, put your information out when someone calls on a load, not just skirt the issue fishing for information on what others are doing! I'm sick of "Fly by night" brokers trying to take the cream off the top and leaving nothing left for those with rolling stock! This brokerage crap is for the birds!!!

Like it or not, you do not give good service, the truckers that save your ass give good service while you take your percentage for making a phone call!

Keith Kemper
ET Trucking INC.

18 trucks of excellent service with no middle man!
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 01:08 PM CST
+ 1 - 2
Kevin as I sit here reading posts from everyone saying that you are running to cheap I have to laugh! You have found your niche and if it works for you then who gives a rats ass what anyone else thinks!!! Do what you are comfortable with, make your own living and be happy with your life! I just don't get people trying to criticize you for making things work? I myself am happy for you and think that as long as the numbers work out for you, keep on doing what you are doing! This is not a cookie cutter industry and not every person in this industry has the same parameters as their counter parts!

Good luck to you and continued success in the future.
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 01:57 PM CST
+ 1 - 2
Originally Posted by: J WORTHINGTON
Quote: "Actually ed, I charge my customer a premium because i give good service and i pay a fair rate to the truck on the lanes I run. maybe take one of MY loads and see if i screw you. I don't have to call "all the carriers" in an area because i know what a fair rate is and pay my trucks that. When i call my guys on my lanes they pick up and know I am going to take care of them but you do you. :)"

Why should a customer pay a premium to you for good service that you are supposed to provide in the first place? Or maybe i should ask the rate for bad service?
Replied on Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:29 PM CST
+ 2
Actually I just like to jerk Kevin's chain. He'll spend a ton of time here going on and on. He must type faster than me. As for your questions. None of your business and I won't diginfy them with my time as realistically I can't defend them in this forum any more than anyone one else. Besides I could give a darn what you think, but hey I can post a few more comments to waste your time.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:09 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: TROY JEFFERS
Quote: "3.50 a loaded mile isn’t cheap, so what’s you fair rate?"

I am unloading a load right now that pays $110 A loaded mile . And if you want it come take it. 1.8 total miles and it's kills half a day
Replied on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 01:14 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Originally Posted by: ANDREW WENGER
Quote: "I am unloading a load right now that pays $110 A loaded mile . And if you want it come take it. 1.8 total miles and it's kills half a day"

That’s your problem not mine, ever heard of by the hour?
Replied on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 02:28 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: TROY JEFFERS
Quote: "That’s your problem not mine, ever heard of by the hour?"

Your slipping Troy, you forgot to say Bahhahaha, LOL.
Replied on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 10:40 PM CST
this is such a large forum to read right now, but what type of freight, bulk, flat bed, van, ref.did this post originate from? I'm just curious. I am trying to reset freight rates. Just not sure what to compare them to. I have also been in this business for 20+ years dealing with the same customers. I want to be fair to them, but also our drivers. I see there is a whole lot of negativity out there. This doesn't need to be a negative situation. It is a change and we need to adapt as we would with any type of change.
Replied on Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 11:00 PM CST
+ 1
Would like to add to my post, for which I have never posted on this website before. I am on all sides of the spectrum. I buy and sell feed ingredients as well as owning trucks and have owner operators that help (guess that would be considered a broker, I do have the brokers liscence for when I need it) The end user, feed users cannot afford to pay $3.50+ per mile for freight or they would put their retail customers out of business. Meaning the smaller guys that buy bags of feed here and there. I think there is a bigger picture here than the trucking environment. I know everyone needs to make money but..... that is why my question is what type of freight did this originate??
Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 01:24 AM CST
Originally Posted by: CARRIE KNIERIM
Quote: "Would like to add to my post, for which I have never posted on this website before. I am on all sides of the spectrum. I buy and sell feed ingredients as well as owning trucks and have owner operators that help (guess that would be considered a broker, I do have the brokers liscence for when I need it) The end user, feed users cannot afford to pay $3.50+ per mile for freight or they would put their retail customers out of business. Meaning the smaller guys that buy bags of feed here and there. I think there is a bigger picture here than the trucking environment. I know everyone needs to make money but..... that is why my question is what type of freight did this originate??"

Again. Going to add another to reply to my two posts. I’ve had a chance to read more of this and sounds like a handful of people in arguements with each other. Wishing everyone the best in how they choose to operate and looking forward to some more inspirational and informational posts on how people plan to move forward with the new laws that we have to abide by until otherwise. God Bless ??

Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 08:24 AM CST
Originally Posted by: CARRIE KNIERIM
Quote: "Would like to add to my post, for which I have never posted on this website before. I am on all sides of the spectrum. I buy and sell feed ingredients as well as owning trucks and have owner operators that help (guess that would be considered a broker, I do have the brokers liscence for when I need it) The end user, feed users cannot afford to pay $3.50+ per mile for freight or they would put their retail customers out of business. Meaning the smaller guys that buy bags of feed here and there. I think there is a bigger picture here than the trucking environment. I know everyone needs to make money but..... that is why my question is what type of freight did this originate??"

i think these guys run flat, van and reefer not bulk but i maybe wrong. i agree that the trucking to some extent is based on what the product sells for as it is a direct expense.
Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 08:37 AM CST
Kevin——- are you serious you can operate a semi with no cost for 6 years? Get frickin real dude you must be a smart one if you think it cost you nothing when brokers see people like you they use it to drop rates even more .......... even if your truck is sitting it cost you cause it rotting away and you will have to do work to it to operate again let alone operating everyday wears everything Out!!



Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:11 AM CST
+ 1
If more folks thought like you, We'd still be in the dump business. Folks will realise one day that you get what you pay for, until then, I'll be doing something else. I thought since rates had gone uo across the board for other places in trucking, bulk would be the same. When I started looking at running long haul again, wow, was I disappointed. Who the hell is still hauling for 1999's rates. I left the long haul industry 2 years ago because of lousy rates both from brokers and my direct customers. It's worse now than it was then. I just don't get it. I'm not gonna go buy a $70,000 trailer to put $2.00 a mile if you're lucky freight in. IT"S JUST STUPID!!!!!!!!
Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:17 AM CST
Originally Posted by: BRANDON FERRIS
Quote: "Kevin——- are you serious you can operate a semi with no cost for 6 years? Get frickin real dude you must be a smart one if you think it cost you nothing when brokers see people like you they use it to drop rates even more .......... even if your truck is sitting it cost you cause it rotting away and you will have to do work to it to operate again let alone operating everyday wears everything Out!! "

oh wow dude , your good , you busted me , you are soooooo right...... damn just can't get by some of you pro's ......oh and by the way , could you be a sweetheart and go back and quote me where i said I have operated for 6 yrs. at no cost. i'm having trouble finding that direct statement. now i did say I believe that I have operated pretty much cost free with this little truck costing me almost nothing in the way of shop time or repairs , but then thats where taking care of and doing preventive things comes into play , thats where taking her down to the doctor ever quarter for a check up my cost for 2017 less pm oil changes was a little over 5k which averages a little over 400 per month. i bought a hell of a good truck , i am one of very few who are extremely fortunate .
Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 08:55 PM CST
+ 1
I am not trying to get in an argument with anyone on here. But for me I look at it like this, for way to long brokers and shippers have more than taken advantage the situation in the rates over the years. The ball has finally shifted into the other side of the court for all of us in this industry. I personally think it's time for us all to take back the advantage and make the money we all should of been making all along. That's all I have to say. Everyone have a great weekend.
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 07:33 PM CST
I like the way you are thinking and doing business
towing companies charge $5 a mile plus fuel and coffe
and we pay them with smile in the face and kiss them for safe us and help us when we broke down
in the middle of nowhere
I love they job and they are our heroes .

we are doing business here with a truck and we need to get pay well
some guys running they truck hauling $1 mile just to make aroung $75k maximum $120k a year
why ?? because they thinking how much money the IRS is gonna take from them
classic container hauler , or lease O/O
having your Own Authority you need to get paid minimun $3 loaded mile
dead head miles is your first lost, insurance, washout time, waiting time if the customer
is one of those the keep you loaded and pay well , I don't mind 1 or 2 hour
some costomer like one I have he have old equipment in their farm I ussally wait if one machine brake down
some times I jump from my truck and help them to fix it, I love doing business with them
other driver leave , some times doing business with the customer face to face is better and more money
facturing companies depend on the truckers,brokers ,mechanic, accounting and office involved in trucking permit etc.
also dispatch ,insurance , big guys towing companies (we the truckers need all their service )
in this trucking business Im not looking for respect
Im looking for Clean MONEY

Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 10:20 PM CST
+ 3
Originally Posted by: CARRIE KNIERIM
Quote: "Would like to add to my post, for which I have never posted on this website before. I am on all sides of the spectrum. I buy and sell feed ingredients as well as owning trucks and have owner operators that help (guess that would be considered a broker, I do have the brokers liscence for when I need it) The end user, feed users cannot afford to pay $3.50+ per mile for freight or they would put their retail customers out of business. Meaning the smaller guys that buy bags of feed here and there. I think there is a bigger picture here than the trucking environment. I know everyone needs to make money but..... that is why my question is what type of freight did this originate??"

Please tell me why the cost of the product in the trailer should change the cost of what it takes to move the load. To use the excuse that the price of any product is down (corn because of over supply) so it should be hauled cheaper is laughable. My point is this. I don't care if the value of your product is valued at $1.00 or $100,000.00 dollars per load, it cost the same to move it from point A to point B.
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVID HAYES
Quote: "Please tell me why the cost of the product in the trailer should change the cost of what it takes to move the load. To use the excuse that the price of any product is down (corn because of over supply) so it should be hauled cheaper is laughable. My point is this. I don't care if the value of your product is valued at $1.00 or $100,000.00 dollars per load, it cost the same to move it from point A to point B."

did your cargo insurance drop with the drop of the commodity price? my guess would be no
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 06:44 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CHRISTOPHER STIER
Quote: "did your cargo insurance drop with the drop of the commodity price? my guess would be no"

That would be correct.
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 07:28 PM CST
Carrie, the end user is either going to have to work with higher truck rates or not have product. I understand that my customer s customer might not be able to continue using the supplement I haul. It might not make economic sense for the end user, but what the hell do you expect from the truck. The truck should lose money andin essence subsidize your customer? NO. I'll find something else to haul if needed and go forward, but I'm not running for low-ball rates.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 07:34 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Ain;t it funny how when your doing the buying you search for the lowest price and the best deal , but when you the one selling your shit is priceless and everyone should just pay what you want with out argument ?....lol
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:17 PM CST
+ 1
Kevin, I get it you don't like me and I'm not your biggest fan, but really. Take a minute and think, who wants to pay extra and get junk. I don't buy the cheapest tires, parts or insurance. I buy the cheapest fuel, run the shortest miles possible.
It's about value and getting what I want for my money. Costs are up for all of us economy of scale is your best friend right now. Drivers that are willing to do the job and take it in the butt on this ELD are Able to name there rate. I'm not sending my trucks out for practice. Shippers are going to have to pay more. The end user is going to pay more. These aren't good times for many of us. You seem to have something in a finite area. Good for you. For the irregular route folks it's not fun times.

Art Pfluger

Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 04:36 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: DAVID HAYES
Quote: "Please tell me why the cost of the product in the trailer should change the cost of what it takes to move the load. To use the excuse that the price of any product is down (corn because of over supply) so it should be hauled cheaper is laughable. My point is this. I don't care if the value of your product is valued at $1.00 or $100,000.00 dollars per load, it cost the same to move it from point A to point B."

it may cost you the same but you need to educate yourself to margins, everyone uses them, including yourself, as i assume you don;t work for cost. doesn't matter if your truck is paid for or not, or your bills for that matter....the selling price of the commodity and the need for that commodity determines the rate. sad news but true. if you don;t like the margin find a different load.
Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 07:30 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: NANCY HARDER
Quote: "it may cost you the same but you need to educate yourself to margins, everyone uses them, including yourself, as i assume you don;t work for cost. doesn't matter if your truck is paid for or not, or your bills for that matter....the selling price of the commodity and the need for that commodity determines the rate. sad news but true. if you don;t like the margin find a different load."

Why is the only way these traders can make money on low paying grain, is to shaft the transport end? I have to pass on my additional costs (increased insurance rates, ELD compliance, higher wages), through my rates. Why can't the cost of the commodity reflect this additional cost?
Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 07:44 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: NANCY HARDER
Quote: "it may cost you the same but you need to educate yourself to margins, everyone uses them, including yourself, as i assume you don;t work for cost. doesn't matter if your truck is paid for or not, or your bills for that matter....the selling price of the commodity and the need for that commodity determines the rate. sad news but true. if you don;t like the margin find a different load."

I'm well educated in margins. For your information if a load doesn't met my standard it doesn't get hauled by my trucks that plain that simple. You once again miss my point as we have had this conversation in the past. Listen closely in my little corner of the sand box I see on a regular basis the rate being lowered by resellers and using the excuse that the price is down and therefore my rate needs to be lowered. Wrong answer. I will not and do not haul for cost or at a loss. A reseller is about a half a notch above a freight broker. They are more concerned about their margins than anything else and that includes their customer or the carrier. I sat in the office of a river port one day waiting on a check to be taken back to the elevator and listened to the following conversation between 3 buyers for the port. One asked the other what the rate should be because they had 40 cents in it for freight but decided to put it on the list for 25 cents and see who would haul it for that. They already had their margin before the freight and was trying milk more margin off the truck. So forgive me if I don't agree with you but from my experience things like that rub me the wrong way.
Replied on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 01:58 PM CST
well then obviously your issue is to find more direct customer and not what you call re sellers. perfectly fine to turn down loads that don;t meet your requirements. i was speaking of direct cost margins, not inflated broker ones. find some direct customers and that will solve your issues somewhat.
Replied on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 02:16 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Kevin, I get it you don't like me and I'm not your biggest fan, but really. Take a minute and think, who wants to pay extra and get junk. I don't buy the cheapest tires, parts or insurance. I buy the cheapest fuel, run the shortest miles possible. It's about value and getting what I want for my money. Costs are up for all of us economy of scale is your best friend right now. Drivers that are willing to do the job and take it in the butt on this ELD are Able to name there rate. I'm not sending my trucks out for practice. Shippers are going to have to pay more. The end user is going to pay more. These aren't good times for many of us. You seem to have something in a finite area. Good for you. For the irregular route folks it's not fun times. Art Pfluger "

Now why would you think i don't like you ? you don't bother me a bit although i do have a feeling thats not mutual , , you can't dislike or fear something or someone you don't know . i would have to know you to dislike you. but theres truth in what i said , when you are the buyer you want inexpensive services or goods , but when you are the seller then the sky is the limit and the rate should be what you want with no argument..... what do you..or any of you for that matter base a fair market rate on ? do you market it on you have a 165k peterbilt and a 72k walking floor or a 120k freightliner and the basic no bells and whistles 52k walking floor , ..or maybe that combined with years of experience per driver tread depth of tires , cost of fuel at the last place you chose to buy it even though it was 25 cents cheaper across the street..... i mean really , what do you base your rate and market value upon ? lol