Home > Forum > Bounce Home Before You Take Those Cheap Rates

Bounce home before you take those cheap rates

Mar 10, 2022 at 09:21 AM CST
+ 31 - 1
You are better off bouncing home empty before you take a low rate that doesn't cover your costs. That includes you getting paid a fair amount for your work. I bounced home 600 miles after my broker was only offering $2 loads while fuel is over 5. If I'm going to get f**ked so are they.
Replied on Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 02:55 PM CST
+ 4

I simply tell them that I can't take a load for under $4.00 a mile. I figure in my DH miles in that figure too. That is THE lowest I'll go. Fuel jumped at least $1.50 a gallon since last month. Everytime it jumps I'll try to get more money. I'm going to starve.

Replied on Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 02:08 PM CST
+ 3

I agree! We have to stick together in this

Replied on Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 10:27 AM CST
+ 5
Everyone needs to go back to the old ways. Don't haul freight by the mile less than what a gallon of fuel cost. If fuel is 5.50 a gal my rate is 5.50 a mile.
Replied on Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 01:25 PM CST
+ 1
[email protected] may cover the rise in the price of fuel but what does it do for the other costs that have doubled in last couple of years like brake drums, tires, def sensors etc?
Replied on Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 09:27 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "[email protected] may cover the rise in the price of fuel but what does it do for the other costs that have doubled in last couple of years like brake drums, tires, def sensors etc?"

For me, I figured out how much it cost per mile to run my truck. 2 yrs ago it was at $1.85 a mile cost. Today, its $2.52 a mile cost. In that figure I put in $5,000 for monthly repairs. I do try to put a percentage of money in a "truck fund" from each load. If you can stay away from it, it will build up. Unfortunately we've had to dig in with the constant change in fuel prices. I know last week I watched a location change the price up $0.18 in 1 day.

$5.50 a mile pay is probably The Best it will be right now. A lot of brokers I've talked to dont want to go past $3.50 - $4.00 rate per mile right now. There are still brokers out there that wont pay more than $2.75 a mile. I've started getting asked "what do you need?" We negotiate a rate and hopefully come to an agreed amount. If not I find someone that will pay more.

Replied on Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:57 PM CST
+ 1
You could throw another 30% on to those numbers if you were running a fleet of company trucks, work comp unemployment, benefits, etc, not including the costs associated with turnover.
Replied on Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 01:48 PM CST
Wow, what is going on that it cost 2.52 per mile to operate your truck.? Hiw in the world did you get to that number?
Replied on Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 03:09 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Wow, what is going on that it cost 2.52 per mile to operate your truck.? Hiw in the world did you get to that number?"

ATRI cost per mile to run a truck - Search (bing.com)

average cost of diesel in 2017 - Search (bing.com)

These were the numbers in 2017, compare all your cost increases from then till now, fuel alone has jumped from [email protected] to 5.20.

Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 07:55 AM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Wow, what is going on that it cost 2.52 per mile to operate your truck.? Hiw in the world did you get to that number?"

You're kidding right?
Replied on Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 07:55 AM CST
Quote: "Wow, what is going on that it cost 2.52 per mile to operate your truck.? Hiw in the world did you get to that number?"

Any and everything related to that equipment. All expenses, payments etc. Truck, trailer and insurance and hopefully tags will stay the same as far as cost per mile. You have to figure in what your yearly and quarterly fees might be such as IFTA. But the cost of repairs has gone up A LOT! The cost of fuel is Outrageous!! If you're buying property that is related to that truck such as a garage. If you have employees, the amount of their pay goes in. Any expense that is related all the way down to paper clips should be added in. And like Dave said things like work comp goes in that figure too. It adds up quick! The higher fuel gets the higher the cost per mile will go up.

Replied on Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 08:58 AM CST

I agree with your thinking but unfortunately there are people out here that don't know their costs or figure it will pay the fuel to the next load.

Replied on Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 01:40 PM CST
Quote: "Wow, what is going on that it cost 2.52 per mile to operate your truck.? Hiw in the world did you get to that number?"

I agree with you!! What the hell are you doing that it costs you that much to run your ttuck? Ive been a o/o with my own authority sinve 2007. I include all my living expenses for my home , my lickuos, my boat all my insurances, 2 harley davidsons plus my truck and trailer in my budget. I only need $3.25 a mile to pay for all that. And thats if i only run 6000 miles a month. It drops if i run more miles. I even only average 4.7mpg

Replied on Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 01:40 PM CST

Meant to say pickups

Replied on Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 05:59 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Any and everything related to that equipment. All expenses, payments etc. Truck, trailer and insurance and hopefully tags will stay the same as far as cost per mile. You have to figure in what your yearly and quarterly fees might be such as IFTA. But the cost of repairs has gone up A LOT! The cost of fuel is Outrageous!! If you're buying property that is related to that truck such as a garage. If you have employees, the amount of their pay goes in. Any expense that is related all the way down to paper clips should be added in. And like Dave said things like work comp goes in that figure too. It adds up quick! The higher fuel gets the higher the cost per mile will go up. "

It seems like anytime we hear a trucker making the claim they can run cheaper it is never a guy with a fleet of 20 or more trucks, but it's exclusively a single owner operator who only employees' himself, and does not understand how those numbers change when you have employee's crashing truck's and turning in claims to collect work comp, or unemployment, or how fast things can turn against you. I have a buddy who at age 57 suffered a bad heart atack and could nolonger get a health card, so he cashed in his retirement savings and bought 3 more trucks to put company drivers in thinking he would just sit in a office and dispatch until retirement, that was 4 years ago and he is now broke, lost his house, his life savings, retirement everything he had been a trucker for 20 years and had direct customers paying round trip rates.

Replied on Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 05:59 PM CST
Quote: "I agree with you!! What the hell are you doing that it costs you that much to run your ttuck? Ive been a o/o with my own authority sinve 2007. I include all my living expenses for my home , my lickuos, my boat all my insurances, 2 harley davidsons plus my truck and trailer in my budget. I only need $3.25 a mile to pay for all that. And thats if i only run 6000 miles a month. It drops if i run more miles. I even only average 4.7mpg"

Put "Cost per mile" in the subject line please.

Replied on Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 05:59 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "I agree with you!! What the hell are you doing that it costs you that much to run your ttuck? Ive been a o/o with my own authority sinve 2007. I include all my living expenses for my home , my lickuos, my boat all my insurances, 2 harley davidsons plus my truck and trailer in my budget. I only need $3.25 a mile to pay for all that. And thats if i only run 6000 miles a month. It drops if i run more miles. I even only average 4.7mpg"

You can email me if you like and I'll show you the spreadsheet I use.

I'm glad you can go off $3.35 a mile. Not all of us can.

Replied on Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 07:37 AM CST
Dave how many trucks and trailers you own
Replied on Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 07:38 AM CST
Dave not to pick on your buddy but retirement savings is exactly that to retire on not to gamble on a chance to lose it sorry to hear that thou
Replied on Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 10:09 AM CST
Quote: "Dave how many trucks and trailers you own"

Personally I only own one because in my opinion the market is flooded and doesn’t need anymore dipshits that 1099 vulnerable adults so they can play fleet owner.
Replied on Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 10:43 AM CST

I agree I am on my way 450 miles home empty and I'm parking my hopper in the weeds

Replied on Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 08:17 AM CST
That's right
Replied on Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 08:31 AM CST
I agree…. You need at least $3.25 or more to survive in this industry. That’s just dry box freight also
Replied on Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 09:24 AM CST
Quote: "It seems like anytime we hear a trucker making the claim they can run cheaper it is never a guy with a fleet of 20 or more trucks, but it's exclusively a single owner operator who only employees' himself, and does not understand how those numbers change when you have employee's crashing truck's and turning in claims to collect work comp, or unemployment, or how fast things can turn against you. I have a buddy who at age 57 suffered a bad heart atack and could nolonger get a health card, so he cashed in his retirement savings and bought 3 more trucks to put company drivers in thinking he would just sit in a office and dispatch until retirement, that was 4 years ago and he is now broke, lost his house, his life savings, retirement everything he had been a trucker for 20 years and had direct customers paying round trip rates. "

I just have the 1 truck right now. Thought about growing a little but no way in this market and economy right now! I do know a guy that has 3 trucks and 2 drivers, he drove his truck. He kept telling about how he could run cheaper rates because he had 3 trucks and was doing good. Well, now 2 of his trucks are down (1. blown motor, 2. transmission went to crap) and he's about to lose everything he has. He didn't have what I call a "truck fund" for repairs. Thats one problems people dont figure in, is the repair bills. We've had major repairs done and it nearly broke us. Hard lesson learned we got back up and going. You never know when hell is going to brake lose! Now I try to keep up on the cost repairs and listen to other drivers when they say "I had to wait for..." or "That part cost..." Its worse and going to get worse. Personally I will sit down from time to time and dig everything out. personal and trucking bills. Re-evaluate expenses and increased cost of everything. Some people dont look at what is actually happening. Everything looks good on paper but reality is much different.

Replied on Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:25 PM CST
Quote: "I just have the 1 truck right now. Thought about growing a little but no way in this market and economy right now! I do know a guy that has 3 trucks and 2 drivers, he drove his truck. He kept telling about how he could run cheaper rates because he had 3 trucks and was doing good. Well, now 2 of his trucks are down (1. blown motor, 2. transmission went to crap) and he's about to lose everything he has. He didn't have what I call a "truck fund" for repairs. Thats one problems people dont figure in, is the repair bills. We've had major repairs done and it nearly broke us. Hard lesson learned we got back up and going. You never know when hell is going to brake lose! Now I try to keep up on the cost repairs and listen to other drivers when they say "I had to wait for..." or "That part cost..." Its worse and going to get worse. Personally I will sit down from time to time and dig everything out. personal and trucking bills. Re-evaluate expenses and increased cost of everything. Some people dont look at what is actually happening. Everything looks good on paper but reality is much different. "

I agree with you that now is not a good time to expand, several banks have tightened up lending and the fed plans to take interest rates back to where they were in the 1980’s, that’s a huge problem when the average cost of a house is $400,000.00 and it’s happening at a time when fertilizer and other inputs are already priced out of the market, I would be willing to bet one year from now you will be able to buy a nice peterbilt for pennies on the dollar.
Replied on Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 08:24 AM CST

I'm with you wish more people would be to