Home > Forum > Frustating Wait Time.

Frustating wait time.

Jan 06, 2019 at 08:17 PM CST
+ 1
Gee, They should try pulling a hopper if they think thats bad


https://cdllife.com/2019/truckers-say-refuse-go-grocery-warehouses-survey-says/


Replied on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 12:00 PM CST
+ 1
They told us that the ELD would fix that problem, what happened?
Replied on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 02:37 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "They told us that the ELD would fix that problem, what happened? "

Would it help to know the wait times before delivering? To know how many trucks are currently in line to unload and projected unload times?

Replied on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 03:51 PM CST
The longest i have waited at a grocery warehouse was 3 days..AS THEY WAITED FOR THE PRICE OF THE PUMPKINS I HAD ON DROPPED..then the produce broker and the grocery store didnt like each other..whole load of pumpkins were loaded into milk crates..that was another full day and then some..some grocery warehouse are fast...but most ...
Replied on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 04:15 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Originally Posted by: JARED FLINN
Quote: "Would it help to know the wait times before delivering? To know how many trucks are currently in line to unload and projected unload times?"

Yes a crystal ball would be helpful when putting together a dispatch, and perhaps determining a rate, however ultimately the problem comes down to revenue. The electronic clock governs our productivity, and at the end of the week we are paid in miles, and not by the hour.
Replied on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 08:26 PM CST
I dont know how that would work though. prime example had a truck sitting in Fairfax MO at 8:30PM sunday night (just last night) and the plant don't open till till 7am they finally got to the truck to unload it at 1:30PM just in time to get the truck unloaded by 2:30PM so the plant can get ready to close up and there employees can go home and not have to pay any detention or overtime to there employees. Had a load booked behind that and caught hell all day because our next load was screwed because of the sitting around time.
Replied on Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 08:26 PM CST
+ 1
This used up 4 days of our time on that truck. Loaded Fri, hauled it there thru weekend taking up Saturday, there by early Sunday, and spent the whole day waiting to get unloaded Monday. Truck can finally start paying the bills again on a new load Tuesday. Pretty darn hard to make a living this. Nobody cares about this at all except the people who are getting hosed on your reload right along with the trucks and drivers.
Replied on Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 07:26 AM CST
+ 1 - 2
I think it all comes down to a disconnect with trucking and the general public. I can name a factory that is in the process of increasing production by 25 percent but is not increasing storage. That means your refer becomes the storage. Unless regular people become aware of these problems I don't see things changing. By nature, people are selfish, so making people aware of those problems is hard because you have to make it about them, or nobody cares. Forgive me for using farm examples all the time, but here's an example....it's common knowledge that Roundup (glyphosate) is cancer causing and damaging the environment. The truth is, drinking a cup of glyphosate is safer than drinking a cup of coffee, or taking two tylenol tablets. AG has been trying to bring awarness for years via social media. Total failure. My point is, unless regular people become educated, nothing will change. Just my opinion
Replied on Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 09:04 AM CST
Exactly!!! increase production make more money Right. spend 2 million to make more storage now thats a different story and it happens at 90 percent of feed mills. increase production + not upgrading = truck is now a storage bin
Replied on Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 12:28 PM CST
+ 5 - 1
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "I think it all comes down to a disconnect with trucking and the general public. I can name a factory that is in the process of increasing production by 25 percent but is not increasing storage. That means your refer becomes the storage. Unless regular people become aware of these problems I don't see things changing. By nature, people are selfish, so making people aware of those problems is hard because you have to make it about them, or nobody cares. Forgive me for using farm examples all the time, but here's an example....it's common knowledge that Roundup (glyphosate) is cancer causing and damaging the environment. The truth is, drinking a cup of glyphosate is safer than drinking a cup of coffee, or taking two tylenol tablets. AG has been trying to bring awarness for years via social media. Total failure. My point is, unless regular people become educated, nothing will change. Just my opinion "

You hit the nail on the head, when you mentioned the disconnect with the public. When a trucker sits for hours somewhere and doesn't get compensated, nobody from the media cares. When a trucker has to wait 30 days for his paycheck, as he is being used as someone else's banker the news media doesn't care. However when there is a government shutdown and government employees have to wait for they're compensation like a trucker does, then the news media says it's a terrible crisis, and talks about how repulsive it to treat workers that way. Hymmm.
Replied on Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 12:28 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JARED FLINN
Quote: "Would it help to know the wait times before delivering? To know how many trucks are currently in line to unload and projected unload times?"

Yes

Replied on Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:11 AM CST
+ 1
Mr Dave that was a facade. a lie to help push them in with greater driver approval. elogs as a whole have messed with much but just like everyone in Washington hoped, we turned in like a bunch of suckers and "adapted". that's just like the trackers many companies want you to install on your phone now. for what tho? You're gonna make every excuse in the book far as detention goes on why you can't pay and then make you wait 3 months for it. between that and the solid rate hike we were supposed to get which unless you're a landstar driver idk anyone who's enjoyed that especially right now, it's all been lie and now they've been legalised to be mandatory. way to go guys??
Replied on Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 08:00 AM CST
+ 2 - 1
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "I think it all comes down to a disconnect with trucking and the general public. I can name a factory that is in the process of increasing production by 25 percent but is not increasing storage. That means your refer becomes the storage. Unless regular people become aware of these problems I don't see things changing. By nature, people are selfish, so making people aware of those problems is hard because you have to make it about them, or nobody cares. Forgive me for using farm examples all the time, but here's an example....it's common knowledge that Roundup (glyphosate) is cancer causing and damaging the environment. The truth is, drinking a cup of glyphosate is safer than drinking a cup of coffee, or taking two tylenol tablets. AG has been trying to bring awarness for years via social media. Total failure. My point is, unless regular people become educated, nothing will change. Just my opinion "

Are you crazy? I’ll tell you what....I’ll drink a 34 oz, of coffee, and you drink your cup of roundup and let’s see what happens. I gotta say, this., did you see that movie that puts a blindfold on you, and you go drive a car? Holy crapoly. You sound as dumb as Colbert on cbs.
Replied on Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 02:59 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JARED FLINN
Quote: "Would it help to know the wait times before delivering? To know how many trucks are currently in line to unload and projected unload times?"

yeah sure except the receivers wait till the 11th hour (bulk commodities) to tell you their cars didnt show up or their bins are full, by that time you are already on your way with the load. bulk is a lot quicker turn around and rarely do you get notice something went sideways at the receiver, so you wait....

Replied on Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 03:22 PM CST
+ 3 - 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE NICKEL
Quote: "Are you crazy? I’ll tell you what....I’ll drink a 34 oz, of coffee, and you drink your cup of roundup and let’s see what happens. I gotta say, this., did you see that movie that puts a blindfold on you, and you go drive a car? Holy crapoly. You sound as dumb as Colbert on cbs."

Prove me wrong. Or are you somebody that believes opinion over scientific fact. Someone like you will always take the easy path. If u want to have a discussion about it and discuss facts, call me, 605-467-0732. If you want to make fun of me, or use comfirmation bias because you CHOOSE to believe something, please don't bother calling.
Replied on Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:10 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE NICKEL
Quote: "Are you crazy? I’ll tell you what....I’ll drink a 34 oz, of coffee, and you drink your cup of roundup and let’s see what happens. I gotta say, this., did you see that movie that puts a blindfold on you, and you go drive a car? Holy crapoly. You sound as dumb as Colbert on cbs."

Haven't gotten a call yet. I figured if someone was soooo confident that I was wrong that they are comfortable publicly calling me dumb, they'd at least have the guts to call to discuss it. Guess not. My point was that it's the publics perception that trucks are the reason there are traffic problems.... intelligent people in the industry know better. Just like when someone who doesn't even know what color Roundup is, absolutely is certain it's awful just because some hippie says so. Nickel, my phone's still waiting.
Replied on Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:10 AM CST
And as far as the (insert adjective of your choice) employee doing receiving is concerned it's all about him and the end of his shift. And he is so happy to tell you that at 3 PM has going home his day was so terrible. Oh and he forgot to pass along bin measurements to whoever does ordering. But he don't care because he has seniority at the mill. The union needs to be axed it has had its place but is now being abused. Pay receivers on productivity and see what changes.
Replied on Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 01:47 PM CST
+ 1
It was insane for anyone to think that the ELD would solve the problem of detention time, and it's insane to think the DOT cops are going to show up somewhere with a swat team, and force the customer to load or unload trucks any faster, or force anyone to pay detention time at gunpoint. Instead corporate America has told FMCSA to extend HOS, so that the shippers and recievers can waste more of your time legally, without paying for it. So now you have more pissed off drivers than ever before, and folks are openly planning a strike, and are no longer afraid of the government. And it's being planned out during the middle of a government shutdown, at a time when many government employees have had a taste of what it's like to not get paid for the work they do, and it helps them to identify with what truckers face, perhaps making some inside the government sympathetic to truckers. What many truckers now realize is that they no longer need everyone to shut down for a strike to be successful, they only need ten percent to shutdown, because of the capacity crunch brought about by the ELD.
Replied on Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 06:29 PM CST
Yup the eld will help the strike. Just don't be out of "hos" while parading around Washington. If people would start getting paid for what they do not for how much they complain would help to. Life isn't going to be easy and for myself I could really careless how terrible the receivers day was I'm not a counselor.
Replied on Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 07:37 AM CST
+ 1
So, because I post something about roundup, you think I don?t know the color of it? Honestly, I don?t even remember what the heck you?re babbling about. So you?re a farmer, and I?m a hippie? That?s so funny.
Replied on Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 07:45 AM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE NICKEL
Quote: "So, because I post something about roundup, you think I don?t know the color of it? Honestly, I don?t even remember what the heck you?re babbling about. So you?re a farmer, and I?m a hippie? That?s so funny."

No, my point is that people like you litteraly destroy entire industries because you choose to believe whatever is the easiest to believe, and for some reason lawmakers and politicians choose to side with people like you...I guess because it's the easiest.
Replied on Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 07:10 AM CST
+ 2 - 3
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "No, my point is that people like you litteraly destroy entire industries because you choose to believe whatever is the easiest to believe, and for some reason lawmakers and politicians choose to side with people like you...I guess because it's the easiest."

Well, I said you sound dumb. But the more you say here, the more you’re proving that point. Stop digging.
But do you really think I’m omitting the facts of science? Ha. If you wanna to really be a farmer as you claim, then learn how to study soil tests of your operation. Most use way too much fertilizer at any given time. And, this over use changes the soils index and creates weeds. That’s correct. So, quit using round-up, and start rebuilding the soil. But don’t take my word for it, do some reading. Like books from William Albrecht. And as far as me calling you? Anyone who drinks Round-up ain’t gonna be in my wheelhouse.
MAGA!
REPLY
REPLY WITH QUOTELike
Dislike
Replied on Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 07:11 AM CST
This is a great idea. Maybe Scott and his bro could make an app for this info. But, someone would just put on false info I suppose...So, why is there such long waits? Equipment failure? Or just too many loads to load or dump? Waiting is a very costly expense.
Replied on Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 09:14 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE NICKEL
Quote: " Well, I said you sound dumb. But the more you say here, the more you’re proving that point. Stop digging. But do you really think I’m omitting the facts of science? Ha. If you wanna to really be a farmer as you claim, then learn how to study soil tests of your operation. Most use way too much fertilizer at any given time. And, this over use changes the soils index and creates weeds. That’s correct. So, quit using round-up, and start rebuilding the soil. But don’t take my word for it, do some reading. Like books from William Albrecht. And as far as me calling you? Anyone who drinks Round-up ain’t gonna be in my wheelhouse. MAGA! REPLY REPLY WITH QUOTELike Dislike "

You are completely incorrect. I'll gladly show you my soil tests. The higher the organic matter, the less fertilizer required. 20 pounds of N per one percent of organic matter. How do you increase organic matter? Stop using soil tillage equipment. How do you control weeds without using tillage?? Roundup. You have no idea what your talking about. The key to soil health, water quality and air quality is Roundup. Again, this is an example of you ruining an industry because you are looking for information that reinforces your point. Not facts. Wasn't my intention to hijack this topic. It was a comparison to the disconnect from reality that farming deal with and truckers deal with
Replied on Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM CST
+ 1
Knowing that you are going to be waiting is useless, unless you can convince a customer to pay you for it, which is difficult to do in a market saturated with trucks. There will always be someone who needs that load to get back home, and they will take it no matter what, throwing a monkey wrench into you ability to collect detention pay. It's just the reality of a economically deregulated market. It's also why we see the courts taking a more active role in how drivers are compensated, which will probably be put on steroids after the 2020 election is over.
Replied on Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 08:03 AM CST
+ 1
Yes your correct. Getting detention pay is like pulling teeth! I wonder whats the point in that electronic time stamp at arrival and departure for on your scale tickets if thats not proof enough??? We only bill if it's been a zoo and justifiable, of course 99% of the time we are denied even with time stamped scale tickets..Hard to run a Owner/Operator (One man, one truck) like this..Time is money with missed loads and being able to roll..Our dispatchers are to be our advocates when there are wait time issues, more so than often they don't want to go to bat for the driver but were more than happy to sign you up for that load...On the brighter side! Last week had a nightmare delivery, with appointment and my broker got 450.00 for 10hrs detention, the detention was almost the cost of the load, full check in hand in 7 days start to finish ??..Thank you Lansing! ;
Replied on Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 10:22 AM CST
+ 1 - 1
Despite the ELD, the problem of detention time and low rates still exist. The government is never going to send the police out there to force shippers and receivers to change their ways, as we truckers are there to serve them, not the other way around. And let’s face it, most truckers are not willing to stand their ground in a negotiation, they will take it to get back home. The most likely outcome to improving the problem will likely come from the court system, as they redefine the definition of a independent contractor, and move towards hourly pay for the drivers, making sure that drivers get paid fairly even if the carrier is dumb enough to go broke. No matter how you slice it, the party is coming to a end for the shippers, as this new generation is unwilling to play the game. Right now we are watching several fast food restaurants close the doors in certain locations, because they can’t afford to pay their employees, and when they raise the prices on the menu, customers quit coming. What effect will higher freight prices have on the economy? Well everyone on Facebook seems to be asking why the load boards are slim pickings, could ther be a connection?
Replied on Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 02:53 PM CST
+ 8

We are getting closer on getting facilities and wait times added to the BulkLoads App. What do you all think? This is just a mock up.