Home > Forum > Hiring Drivers? Help.

Hiring drivers? Help.

Jul 27, 2015 at 04:09 PM CST
+ 1
Ok, I need some reinforcement...... I have a contract that runs year round and for some reason 2015 has been a struggle with finding and or keeping drivers (contract requires 8-9 drivers, we currently have 6.) The drivers I currently have are taking home net $700-$1000/week. That is all up to the driver and how much they want to be out. I think this is a fair wage not to mention we pay for hook fees, half their health insurance and contribute to their HSA, plus paid holidays and the list goes on. These drivers are typically home every night and without doubt every weekend all weekend. They're running 2200-3200mi/week and remember their mileage is basically determined by what the driver wants..... This is easy work, hook and pull. No loading or wait times. You unload when you get to you destination no wait their either! so what am I missing? I think it is a fairly easy gig and the trucks are all newer model trucks. I just cannot seem to find any drivers and open to suggestions. Also, if you have any competent candidates send them my way! Thanks.
Replied on Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM CST
+ 1
Most hopper drivers that I know average minimum 1250 a week with the same scenario you're talking about just a thought but it might be a lot cheaper to live where you are then where we live. Also those are drivers so they would complain if you hung them with a new rope
Replied on Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:52 PM CST
Mr.Wilson,
We could debate what these drivers are really worth, but that will get no where. I have a hard time with drivers and I'm paying more than that. Can you live on $35,000 - $40,000 a year and be happy?

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 08:32 AM CST
- 1
Art, thanks for the reply. I cannot survive on $40,000/yr (probably could if Amazon and my wife never met lol) but that is also why I work 12-16 hours a day and take the risk of running 9 trucks. I'm not getting rich either, nor am I living outside my means. That is the problem now days. I know we could go back in forth but this country has put my generation (22-32 year olds) in arms wide open mode. Fighting over the next handout. It is creating a very toxic and contagious lifestyle.
Replied on Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 01:14 AM CST
+ 1
Look Kelly for once I'm not trying to antagonize you. I face the same challenges or worse. I have many large carriers in the same town as I and they can do things that I can't even think about. I have to understand, like it or not, no matter what I do or go thru, I have to pay a driver enough for him to live some kind of decent life. The guy might be worth $40,000 but I know that if he can't make $55,000 first year he won't even think about my outfit and if he does he won't stay. When he leaves my training investment and all of my initial costs are for nothing. I don't like this current situation. I'm paying people a LOT more than they are worth and I still have trucks sitting. For us the whole OTR Ag thing is very foreign to people, they don't want to take a chance on something different. WAY to many that do try, leave because they just don't want to be out in the rural area. They want that interstate get in a truckstop life every night. Mostly for us with Swift, Knight, Heartland, Gordon, and every other larger carrier here these guys get promised home WAY more than we can do and I won't lie to them. These idiots will work a local job for $125 a day instead of at least twice that in an OTR setting. My last hire followed a trainer for 2 weeks. His first load alone he rips the tarp of the trailer. Second load same week he gets stopped by CAL Ag has to peel back tarp drives of without fastening the front tie down and tears the first 6-8 feet of tarp off the trailer. Yup 2 times one week, when he comes in after a 650 mile deadhead cause I can't load the wagon, he quits. Then all he wants is pay me or else.
Good Luck and if you find the magic answer let me know. As a truck owner we are not in a good position at this time. Your going to have to pony up if you want to keep them boys running.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 07:53 PM CST
I will come drive for you if u will hire out of ms
Replied on Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:33 PM CST
The only place I won't hire out of is California. I would hire someone "from" there if their license is issued from some other place. So Mr.Williams if you wish to talk call me. The Ms thing would be a little bit of a challenge, but we could find away.
602-679-0519 Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:25 PM CST
I have had drivers make as much as $100,000 per year in my program, and others only make $25,000. It depends on the driver some love to work while others do not.

Last year I paid $40,000 to a driver that only worked 24 weeks last year, and $36,000 to another that only worked 19 weeks for the year. Both drivers acted like they were killing themselves, I got rid of them both parked the trucks, and went out and made in 3 months on my own what those jokers did in one year.

Found two replacements for them, and changed my program to the I don't bleed for you program. Give them the freedom to run where they want and how they want, guess what it works a lot better.

I know you have a dedicated account Kelley, and where you are at the wages plus benefits are more then adequate. Thes guys are home every night and are averaging between $17 - $25 per hour. Good luck them finding that kind of job in the middle of Kansas.
Replied on Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 01:22 AM CST
+ 1 - 5
Ok here's the deal. Mr. Williams sounds like a nice person and probably is a nice person, but he got himself in trouble. I would have given him a job. I know others that would have given him a job, but he has a problem that he doesn't disclose. I'm not going to go further, but people that are asking for help need to be honest. Don't waste everyones time when you screwed the pooch and there isn't a carrier alive that can recue you. Go to McDonalds get a job ride your problem out and then ask the community for help.
Jared, love you to death, but WTF? Why do you give these guys an account? I wish you would vet people better. I also need a new hat.
Art Pfluger
Replied on Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 06:15 PM CST
+ 2 - 1
Art,

it's really poor taste to mention a person's name, referencing job interview chraracteristics and disclosure on a public forum. Even with the little you said.

Kevin
Replied on Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:55 AM CST
Mr Jordan, I would be interested in getting more information about your company. I have over 25 years behind the wheel, no accidents, no tickets in the last 7 years.I ran my own small fleet from 04 to 11. I'm out of Evanston wyoming, about 80 miles east of SLC on I80. I am looking for a company job for a year or so, then hoping to become a O/O again for the same company. If you are needing a driver, and you think we could be a good fit please consider act me at. 307 679 1361. Rob
Replied on Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:41 PM CST
Kevin,
If you keep track I specialize in poor taste. Ask anyone on this forum. If I defend myself I expose more of the story. I won't do that, IMAGINE. I recently made a post in poor taste. I didn't do my background and just equated a name from now with a name from the past that cost me a lot of money. I had to retract my statement with much embarrasment. I'm trying to not repeat that at this moment. Let me tell you something, poor taste and all. I didn't say anything that isn't a true statement. If everyone of us on this forum was honest about telling one another about the bad apple past employees some of us would be spared a lot of grief and money. Typically in this world you can't get a quick enough response to make a good judgement call on someone because everyone is to busy to answer a phone call. You have to submit in writing and wait 30 days for a past employment history. You need a guy you hire him and its to late. Damage done. Conversely you wait and pass on someone good. I have 4 trucks I'm not SWIFT. I don't have a ton of resources. I do my best and I give more people chances than not. I treat every driver that ever sat in a seat for me like he was family. I have never hired anyone that didn't sit at my table a dine with me. WTF do you want? I didn't creat anyones problems. How can I respond?
Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 05:25 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Kevin, If you keep track I specialize in poor taste. Ask anyone on this forum. If I defend myself I expose more of the story. I won't do that, IMAGINE. I recently made a post in poor taste. I didn't do my background and just equated a name from now with a name from the past that cost me a lot of money. I had to retract my statement with much embarrasment. I'm trying to not repeat that at this moment. Let me tell you something, poor taste and all. I didn't say anything that isn't a true statement. If everyone of us on this forum was honest about telling one another about the bad apple past employees some of us would be spared a lot of grief and money. Typically in this world you can't get a quick enough response to make a good judgement call on someone because everyone is to busy to answer a phone call. You have to submit in writing and wait 30 days for a past employment history. You need a guy you hire him and its to late. Damage done. Conversely you wait and pass on someone good. I have 4 trucks I'm not SWIFT. I don't have a ton of resources. I do my best and I give more people chances than not. I treat every driver that ever sat in a seat for me like he was family. I have never hired anyone that didn't sit at my table a dine with me. WTF do you want? I didn't creat anyones problems. How can I respond? Art Pfluger "

For one I never worked ,for u so how I cost u money, then on top of that when we was talking about working for u I was paying for my own way to Arizona, u didn't offered to help. I got an opportunity for a hopper company out of ms. I demand you delete the previous post inquiring my name,as it seems as u was trying to keep me from getting hired by anyone else here on the forum. In which u r succeeding.
Replied on Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 05:40 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Ok here's the deal. Mr. Williams sounds like a nice person and probably is a nice person, but he got himself in trouble. I would have given him a job. I know others that would have given him a job, but he has a problem that he doesn't disclose. I'm not going to go further, but people that are asking for help need to be honest. Don't waste everyones time when you screwed the pooch and there isn't a carrier alive that can recue you. Go to McDonalds get a job ride your problem out and then ask the community for help. Jared, love you to death, but WTF? Why do you give these guys an account? I wish you would vet people better. I also need a new hat. Art Pfluger"

Hey, for one let me correct u in my defense. I never got myself in any trouble. I have a clean criminal background never been arrested,or no fail drug screens. She is talking about one accident I had, when a lady pulled out in front of me and I avoided most of her car but a tab. In that event no one was injured and both parties drove off. I stayed with that company a month later, before I left them after the accident, and on top of that the lady was ticketed. I didn't disclose because, I could never pull it up when I ran my own MVR. Only reason rose found the accident is because my old company and then have the same insurance company, in which my old company didn't fire me,do y they said u couldn't hire me until after a year. So I didn't screw the pooch and got calls from some major carriers, and the bring me to the last comment you said, all back people don't have to work at McDonald's either, I have a criminal Justice degree, just chose trucking. So stop stereotyping. Lmao.I got the last laugh. Think before doing; ROSE
Replied on Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 02:41 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ROBIN MILENDER
Quote: "Mr Jordan, I would be interested in getting more information about your company. I have over 25 years behind the wheel, no accidents, no tickets in the last 7 years.I ran my own small fleet from 04 to 11. I'm out of Evanston wyoming, about 80 miles east of SLC on I80. I am looking for a company job for a year or so, then hoping to become a O/O again for the same company. If you are needing a driver, and you think we could be a good fit please consider act me at. 307 679 1361. Rob"

Robin, I am sure you are more than qualified. I just have very limited connections in your area, I would be doing you a great injustice by taking you on. We very rarely run West of the Mid-West, maybe once or twice a year when one of my guys wants to go to Washington State or Colorado to fish, hunt, or see some family over there. Once the chain up laws go into effect we don't run that way at all for under $8.00 per mile. So far I have not had any takers on that. Good luck with your hunt and I hope you find what you are looking for.
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 05:22 AM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: ROSE PFLUGER
Quote: "Kevin, If you keep track I specialize in poor taste. Ask anyone on this forum. If I defend myself I expose more of the story. I won't do that, IMAGINE. I recently made a post in poor taste. I didn't do my background and just equated a name from now with a name from the past that cost me a lot of money. I had to retract my statement with much embarrasment. I'm trying to not repeat that at this moment. Let me tell you something, poor taste and all. I didn't say anything that isn't a true statement. If everyone of us on this forum was honest about telling one another about the bad apple past employees some of us would be spared a lot of grief and money. Typically in this world you can't get a quick enough response to make a good judgement call on someone because everyone is to busy to answer a phone call. You have to submit in writing and wait 30 days for a past employment history. You need a guy you hire him and its to late. Damage done. Conversely you wait and pass on someone good. I have 4 trucks I'm not SWIFT. I don't have a ton of resources. I do my best and I give more people chances than not. I treat every driver that ever sat in a seat for me like he was family. I have never hired anyone that didn't sit at my table a dine with me. WTF do you want? I didn't creat anyones problems. How can I respond? Art Pfluger "

Art,

The reality of what you are doing when you tarnish someones reputation on the forum or anywhere else is called 'disparagement'. And it's illegal. You saw his reply and you both have very different viewpoints. Do you want to spend your 'racing' money on lawyers or deal with a judgement for paying someone's salary for 2 years of missed pay based on the perception of being "blacklisted"?

'nuff said.
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 07:51 AM CST
Originally Posted by: KEVIN MCCARTY
Quote: "Art, The reality of what you are doing when you tarnish someones reputation on the forum or anywhere else is called 'disparagement'. And it's illegal. You saw his reply and you both have very different viewpoints. Do you want to spend your 'racing' money on lawyers or deal with a judgement for paying someone's salary for 2 years of missed pay based on the perception of being "blacklisted"? 'nuff said. "

He really dont understand what he has done to this man and the actions that can come from it
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM CST
Thank you for your time Art, I sure appreciate it.
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 10:16 AM CST
I'm sorry I meant Thank you Mr.Jordan. I do appreciate your time sir.
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:04 PM CST
Funny how there are some that get offended by nothing.. Art said nothing except this person got into some trouble and didnt apparently report it on his application.. And then this person tells us about an accident that happened that wasnt his fault.. Ive seen legally parked trucks that are claimed on the accident report as their fault.. But i nor anybody here knows the EXACT details.. So one really needs to quit twisting those panties until they do.. Accidents dont always show up on a DMV printout.. But the insurance company does report to other insurance companies if there is a claim.. Or it was on the DAC report.. Its so easy to find these things out good.. Bad or indifferent.. If this gentleman thinks he is wronged.. He might want to pull up his DAC report and see whats on there that i bet Art pulled up and saw.. But then again WE DONT KNOW THE FACTS HERE.. So one shouldnt ASSUME what the problem is...
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:08 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ROBIN MILENDER
Quote: "Mr Jordan, I would be interested in getting more information about your company. I have over 25 years behind the wheel, no accidents, no tickets in the last 7 years.I ran my own small fleet from 04 to 11. I'm out of Evanston wyoming, about 80 miles east of SLC on I80. I am looking for a company job for a year or so, then hoping to become a O/O again for the same company. If you are needing a driver, and you think we could be a good fit please consider act me at. 307 679 1361. Rob"

I dont know if they are hiring.. But Justice trucking out of Rock Springs may be looking.. They haul pneumatics.. Dont know if thats in your intrest but thought i would tell you about them.. Jeff
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:18 PM CST
Nope they didn't run a DAC report, and for your info I ran one and it wasn't on there it wasn't reported to DAC. And what art or rose did is illegal look it up
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:29 PM CST
As usual this is out of hand. I NEVER intended this person any ill will. I did not intend to disparage him. I hope he has nothing but good luck and safe journeys. Good luck to all.
Goodbye
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:39 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: JUANTONIO WILLIAMS
Quote: " Nope they didn't run a DAC report, and for your info I ran one and it wasn't on there it wasn't reported to DAC. And what art or rose did is illegal look it up"

Then you might talk to the your past employers. Ive known Art here for many years and he doesnt make things up.. It was told by somebody to him..
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 01:49 PM CST
Thank you for the lead Jeff.
Replied on Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 02:17 PM CST
Originally Posted by: ROBIN MILENDER
Quote: "Thank you for the lead Jeff."

Best of luck.. Or maybe even bunting in rock springs.. Dont know if their hiring either
Replied on Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 02:56 AM CST
Wasn't art,it was rose.
Replied on Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 02:56 AM CST
Wasn't art,it was rose.