Home > Forum > Hobby Trucker Vs Legitimate Trucking Company

Hobby trucker vs legitimate trucking company

Jun 18, 2017 at 05:35 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
So this weekend, the subject come up, who is the problem, and what is the answer. A established trucking company has a lot of real overhead , an office building , maintance shop, mechanic's, dispatchers, safety department's, sales people, accountant's, etc, not to mention insurance losses and losses from bad employees, tearing up equipment . Hobby trucker has low overhead, due to the fact he operates the truck himself, and is a safe driver, and has no loss history, because he is just starting out, and he operates his company out of his house, and is happy to just make a living. He has no plans for expansion, and does not mind under bidding legitimate trucking companies,and leaving money on the table. His competition can't compete mile for mile, so they have to push their drivers hard, because the shipper wants them to match hobby truckers price. So who is the the problem, and who is the soulution?
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 06:39 PM CST
+ 1
so let me get this straight , a guy that owns 1 truck is not a legitimate business , he's just a "hobby" trucker ? what about the guy that owns 2 or 4 ...where is the breaking point between "hpbby" trucker and a "real: trucking company " please enlighten everyone on what is what and what it takes to be and or qualify as a "real": trucking company.......how many units does it take how many tractors and trailers do you have to have , is there a rule or regulation on what size shop you have to have , how many walls does it need , is there criteria for what type tools and equipment are inside of said shop...how about fueling , is the legitiamte trucking company allowed to buy fuel anywhere or does it have to be at t/a and loves only , does there need to be a certified approved fueling station in they said legitiamte trucking companies yard.... does said legitimate trucking companies yard have to be a certain soz or configuration , does there need to be a guard at the gates, armed ? or no ? what kind of foffice facilities, just a building or certain size shape , showers and lounge for drivers ..bunk rooms ? tell us dave please enlighten us on what it takes to be a "REAL" trucking company i'm anxiuosly waiting to find out so i will also know if werner , swift and all the others make the grade.....lmao
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 09:30 PM CST
What about above said company that had all the above, decided to cut above said cost ,and is now a lone trucker that still gets good rates by himself out of his home and has been with the same insurance company for 23 yrs as of this past month? I make more now than i ever had owning multiple trucks. Ummm, so what gives? If i am now classified as a hobby trucker then how did i just accomplish buying me a new peterbuilt on hobby wages ?
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 09:45 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JASON WEAST
Quote: "What about above said company that had all the above, decided to cut above said cost ,and is now a lone trucker that still gets good rates by himself out of his home and has been with the same insurance company for 23 yrs as of this past month? I make more now than i ever had owning multiple trucks. Ummm, so what gives? If i am now classified as a hobby trucker then how did i just accomplish buying me a new peterbuilt on hobby wages ? "

Jason you are not a hobby trucker, because you are out here to make money, and not just drive around putting fuel in the truck. It's not the size of your operation that matters, it's how smart you run it . Bidding specialized freight at 1.75 @ mile,(even if it's for every mile on the truck) and then bragging about it to everyone, well that's another story.
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:48 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "Jason you are not a hobby trucker, because you are out here to make money, and not just drive around putting fuel in the truck. It's not the size of your operation that matters, it's how smart you run it . Bidding specialized freight at 1.75 @ mile,(even if it's for every mile on the truck) and then bragging about it to everyone, well that's another story."

A hobby trucker by definition, is someone who does not care about making money. They just want to put fuel in the truck, and drive around. They do retarded stuff, like bid specialized freight @1.75 a mile, and then are actually dumb enough to brag about it in public. Then they like to piss off all the people they under cut, and Bragg about how much fun they are having screwing up the market. They often times have a D.O.T# so new, that the ink is still drying on it, and they like to tell all the old timers, what they are all doing wrong.
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:50 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
Quote: "so let me get this straight , a guy that owns 1 truck is not a legitimate business , he's just a "hobby" trucker ? what about the guy that owns 2 or 4 ...where is the breaking point between "hpbby" trucker and a "real: trucking company " please enlighten everyone on what is what and what it takes to be and or qualify as a "real": trucking company.......how many units does it take how many tractors and trailers do you have to have , is there a rule or regulation on what size shop you have to have , how many walls does it need , is there criteria for what type tools and equipment are inside of said shop...how about fueling , is the legitiamte trucking company allowed to buy fuel anywhere or does it have to be at t/a and loves only , does there need to be a certified approved fueling station in they said legitiamte trucking companies yard.... does said legitimate trucking companies yard have to be a certain soz or configuration , does there need to be a guard at the gates, armed ? or no ? what kind of foffice facilities, just a building or certain size shape , showers and lounge for drivers ..bunk rooms ? tell us dave please enlighten us on what it takes to be a "REAL" trucking company i'm anxiuosly waiting to find out so i will also know if werner , swift and all the others make the grade.....lmao"

Hey Dave..... ummm when you think you might be able to answer this for me . anxiously waitng..thanlks...
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:56 PM CST
+ 1
Hobby trucker has low overhead, due to the fact he operates the truck himself, and is a safe driver, and has no loss history

good lord I am soooo ecstatic to be this guy ,low overhead = more profit

operatres truck himself = no payrolll hassles por unexpected calls in the middle of the night

safe driver no loss history = a much better bottom line , lower insurance rates, a better safer score...

yup..... proud...very very proud to be a hobby trucker.... i mean hey if your gonna have a hobby why not have one that is fun , that you enjoy and the fact that its profitable makes it even better...right Dave ?
Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:16 PM CST

Sorry, Dave that us single truck operators are hurting you. I guess I'm a hobby trucker also, one truck one trailer for the time being. My MC number is around 494,000 lower than yours, so no newbie status for me. Who cares what each of us make, if we pay our bills and live how does that hurt you. I work as little as possible for as much money as I can get, some days are better than others.

Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:22 PM CST

Oops, sorry again wrong about the MC number looked at wrong company on my search. MIne is below 300,000 though.

Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:26 PM CST
Originally Posted by: NEAL STOKELEY
Quote: " Oops, sorry again wrong about the MC number looked at wrong company on my search. MIne is below 300,000 though."

i've got all of his info if you would like it....just like he has mine....
  • DOT# 1724474
  • MC781394 that is correct is'nt it...mr. Winters ? i mean your phone number and email matchec that...... whats even more funny though is all the big fleet talk and he only shows 1 power unit and one trailer.....lmao

    Replied on Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:35 PM CST
    + 1
    dave ole buddy i'm confused... you been bumpin your gums about all this big fleet , vs hobby trucker talk and well your dot and mc # which is dot # 1724474 and mc 781394 and it also shows you to be from kimball mn. not clearwater..... why all the secrecy clarence , oh and also why do you sjow only 1 power unit..... davvveeeee.... are you a hobby tucker like me ? are ya huh are ya ?...lol
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 06:22 AM CST
    - 1
    Neal if I offended you, I apologize. I should have been more clear, in my earlier definition. I am a single truck owner my self, and never claimed to be anything but. I don't know you, but I am going to go out on a limb here, and take a guess that you do have respect for those around you, and you would probably never use your low overhead advantage, to intentionally degrade the market. What set me off on this topic , is who has a advantage over others in the market, and how do they use it, and what is the potential effect on others, could it generate pressure for others, and perhaps pressure them to cheat on hos? And if so, do those folks bear any responsibility for all of this eld stuff, that we are being forced accept, if we choose to stay in the market.
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 07:22 AM CST
    Clarence is that being said as from one hobby trucker to another or big time fleet owner to hobby truck , just trying to keep it all straight here........
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:10 AM CST
    Jmo I closed down my hobby trucking company June 16 2016. In November I was ready to go back to work so I decided to lease on to landstar. After jumping all the qualifications I finally got into class and loaded my first load December 23 2016. Let me tell you by the time I pay all the feesfor electronic logs different types of insurance they made me carry I have decided to never work for a big carrier again. I said from the start I would give it 6 months and see who made me the most profit. As leased on truck I was only getting 70% over the same 6 month period I kept 400% more loading myself over being leased. Sorry but the expense of being a hobby trucker is well worth the investment. They can keep the fancy office and employee I am going to stay a 1 man band and
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:36 AM CST
    My worst experience (pay wise) was back in 2008. I singed on to place that did dry van stuff. The company had new equipment, so I figured they must know what they are doing? I was forced to go under their insurance, and after running all over our east, I logged 3000 miles. A few weeks later, when I got what was supposed to be my check, it turned out that I owed them 300.00 for fuel. And that was with less than 10% deadhead miles. They originally told me, I would average [email protected] mile. When I went in to talk to them about it, they had all kinds of excuses. When I informed them I was quitting, they wanted me to give a two week notice. Needless to say, I did not stick around. Bounced around a bit, same story everywhere else. All of the other owner ops I met at those places wound up going broke. So I know where your coming from
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:52 AM CST
    So is that when you became a hobby truck too dave ? or you still stickin with that fleet stuff ?
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 02:26 PM CST
    Brightened up my Monday!!
    Replied on Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:51 PM CST
    Dave Winters should spend more time trucking than flapping his mouth on this forum.
    Down graded the guys running for $1.75 per mile then admitted he had agreed to run for $1.50 per mile.
    Go figure!
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 06:32 AM CST
    Well that's true I did, back in 2008. And if that was when I tried leasing on to a carrier (thought I made that clear, when I said I went under their insurance)... running under someone else's authority for that kind of money, and going out and running on your own, two entirely different scenerio's. And having a direct customer vs pulling brokered freight, different again. To go out into the market, and run your truck for the same kind of money a leased operator gets, makes no sense. And to have direct customer, and run for less money than you could make working for a broker, well that makes no sense either. I was not born with my authorities, I went out and got them, because I got tired of subsidizing someone else's company.
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 07:16 AM CST
    Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
    Quote: "Well that's true I did, back in 2008. And if that was when I tried leasing on to a carrier (thought I made that clear, when I said I went under their insurance)... running under someone else's authority for that kind of money, and going out and running on your own, two entirely different scenerio's. And having a direct customer vs pulling brokered freight, different again. To go out into the market, and run your truck for the same kind of money a leased operator gets, makes no sense. And to have direct customer, and run for less money than you could make working for a broker, well that makes no sense either. I was not born with my authorities, I went out and got them, because I got tired of subsidizing someone else's company. "

    Just can't let it go huh dave ? well dave...how much do you know about the cost asociated with operating a truck in texas ? how much do you know about fuel prices , permitting , plates and ins. cost in texas dave ? I really need to know this because you seem to want to make the case that you are an authority on what it costs to operate a truck , pay bills and ,make a living ....... how much do you know about the cost of living where am , tell me dave please tell me what my cost per mile is since you want to harp on what i make per mile please inform me allllll about my operation and operating a truck in the area that I am in...... .nd then when you do that i will educate you ..... on what you do not know..... how bout dah
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 07:45 AM CST
    Originally Posted by: KEVIN SINGLETARY
    Quote: "Just can't let it go huh dave ? well dave...how much do you know about the cost asociated with operating a truck in texas ? how much do you know about fuel prices , permitting , plates and ins. cost in texas dave ? I really need to know this because you seem to want to make the case that you are an authority on what it costs to operate a truck , pay bills and ,make a living ....... how much do you know about the cost of living where am , tell me dave please tell me what my cost per mile is since you want to harp on what i make per mile please inform me allllll about my operation and operating a truck in the area that I am in...... .nd then when you do that i will educate you ..... on what you do not know..... how bout dah"

    I was not responding to you Kevin ,I was responding to Delbert. You said you and I were done speaking to one another, at the end of the beyond e logs forum, remember? So who's not letting go now? You came over here to this thread too, and started antagonizing me, trying to put it in folks heads, that I was trying to pass myself off, as a big fleet owner.( some of you may want to look at my reply to Christopher stier, and you will see about half way through it where I stated openly, that I was a one truck owner on that tread, which was stated several day's prior to this one)
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 08:05 AM CST
    yeah i said that on that thread , but now you are over here running your head and bumping your gums..... like I said dave... you want to mouth off about me running for 1.75 per mile. and thats great but before you decied you want to keep harping on that , you need to do your research.... where I am it costs me roughly half of what it costs you to run..... but you are not bright enough to do your research are you ? lets look st fuel costs alone Clarence..... where I am according to the minnesota website i just looked at with up to the minute fuel pricing i'm paying on average 60 cents per gallon less than you are..... I would say that would make a sustantial difference in operating costs would you not ????? what about other things like insurance , tags , permits etc etc. Clarence is there a difference there ? have you done any research at all into what you want to try and bash other over..... and where are the numbers you are running for , you are damn quick to bash others for putting thiers out there but you seem to have troouble presenting yours ole buddy..... see thats the problem Clarence...you come swooping in like some trucking god wanting to tell me and others what we are doing wrong but yiu fail to show us what you are doing right...... classic

    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:09 AM CST
    Some of you folks out there, may remember the week of CVSA? Well someone started a forum, titled "this DoT stuff sucks. If some of you folks missed it, you may want to go back, and look at it, and see some of the comments Kevin made to the rest of us. Then ask yourself if you see a pattern of behavior here, indicating harassment ?
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:22 AM CST
    whats that got to do with operating costs clarence ? could we maybe stay on topic here ?? lets finish this one then we can move on tothe next one..... well unless you see that you just cannot come up with anything to counter so you move on to something else to try and divert attention..... thats a liberal tactic dave... no...no sir we are going to fininsh this topic and then ,aybe we can move to something else..... unless you are unable to counter with anything intelligent and if that is the case then i truly do guess we are done... so dave... please reply to my last post , what do you know about operating cots in my area as well as my personal operating costs...pleas try to keep up.
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 09:46 AM CST
    How many of you out there, who own a truck and operate it, be it leased to some other carrier, or who operate on they're own authority, would agree to run that truck, for the same money as a company driver makes? I am guessing none. Now let's say that for the purpose of discussion, there were other folks out there who were doing just that, running those trucks for the same price, as a company driver. Well how would you feel about that? Would you say that that's causing problems for you? Well that is exactly what us little guys, with one truck are doing if we bid stuff cheap, just because we can. We are pulling the market down. How do you suppose the big carriers feel about that? Is it at all conceivable, that those big carriers would say that we are the problem? And if that is so, do we bear any responsibility for this E- log mandate?
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM CST
    ahhhh... now you are gonna try the ignore tactic..... lmao..... well clarence...... can you please direct me to one of those carriers that pay thier drivers 1.75 per mile driver pay.... i will park mine and drive thiers..... tell us dave whoare they ???
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM CST
    + 2
    Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
    Quote: "How many of you out there, who own a truck and operate it, be it leased to some other carrier, or who operate on they're own authority, would agree to run that truck, for the same money as a company driver makes? I am guessing none. Now let's say that for the purpose of discussion, there were other folks out there who were doing just that, running those trucks for the same price, as a company driver. Well how would you feel about that? Would you say that that's causing problems for you? Well that is exactly what us little guys, with one truck are doing if we bid stuff cheap, just because we can. We are pulling the market down. How do you suppose the big carriers feel about that? Is it at all conceivable, that those big carriers would say that we are the problem? And if that is so, do we bear any responsibility for this E- log mandate? "

    i have been watching this back and forth for a bit and i hate to burst everyone's bubble but it really doesn;t matter what you single ops, independants or mega carriers bid on a contract, the contract only moves for as much freight is built into the budget, if people bid cheap well just wait 6 months..... different commodities have different rates based on the value of said commoditiy. don't expect good rates when an industry has too many trucks in it.

    as far as e-logs go, everyone is screwed until both the shipper and receiver are held accountable for the time they take with the truck and no, not everyone pays wait time. so now you have the opposite to the soluion, drivers are speeding to beat their elogs.

    you don;t need to respond, just my thoughts for what they are worth.

    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:32 PM CST
    Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
    Quote: "How many of you out there, who own a truck and operate it, be it leased to some other carrier, or who operate on they're own authority, would agree to run that truck, for the same money as a company driver makes? I am guessing none. Now let's say that for the purpose of discussion, there were other folks out there who were doing just that, running those trucks for the same price, as a company driver. Well how would you feel about that? Would you say that that's causing problems for you? Well that is exactly what us little guys, with one truck are doing if we bid stuff cheap, just because we can. We are pulling the market down. How do you suppose the big carriers feel about that? Is it at all conceivable, that those big carriers would say that we are the problem? And if that is so, do we bear any responsibility for this E- log mandate? "

    What determines the market Dave?
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:19 PM CST
    Originally Posted by: DEAN HUGHSON
    Quote: "What determines the market Dave?"

    Exactly, exactly. This is not a socialist economy, at least not yet where rates are set by certain elite folks. And that theory that the megas are upset with the little man cutting rates is a big crock of BS! It's called a free open market dictated by simple supply and demand. Dave, you'd be smart to spend your time and talent (cause we all have talent just differing) and figuring out how to cut your costs and overhead and suddenly you will find a nice profit margin where you thought there wasn't enough. Now you can sit back and maybe put a nice gig together thats something you enjoy and maybe even run a legal log AND make a profit. Then come what may, you are competitive and if there is any money in a route or run you can profit more than the average Joe.
    My philosophy is I can't always control the rates like I would like to but I can control my costs to run.
    I probably shouldn't start about trucks ie brand, glider, emissins etc but I'll go out on a limb and say most of your new stock emissions trucks are just as or more efficient than any glider. I run a 2017 Cascadia and couldn't be happier. My previous 2012 Cascadia was the truck that really opened my eyes but I think there are others that are doing quite well, a far cry from 10 years ago.
    Replied on Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:27 PM CST
    guys... guys..... ease up on dave there.... he did'nt call you in to make sense , he called you in to try to help bash me and add to whatever vendetta he has against me...lol. .
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM CST
    It really wouldn't matter what kind of answer I give you, it would be wrong according to Kevin. During CVSA , he was trying to get noticed by creating friction with others. Well last week when I started the beyond e logs thread, it was clear that he wanted to be noticed, so I allowed him to get noticed. And look how that turned out? I started this thread over here, and before I even had a chance, to get it set up and make my case, he was over here trying to put the idea in everyone's head, that I was trying to pass myself off, as some big fleet owner, and make the case, that he was the hero of the day, because he come riding in here, and saved you all, by exposing a fraud...... yet he has never once been able to show any of you, where I made the statement that i was one. So what I have learned out of all this, is that Kevin wants to be noticed, nothing else matters. I could point out how the government picks winners and losers, by deciding who gets a seat at the table, who gets bail outs, who tampers with market forces, and supply and demand, by doing things like messing with the labor market, through immigration policy, or building walls along the border, to keep out folks that want to work for less, but it wouldn't really matter. Kevin is the smart one, and others like myself who won't let him control what we think, are nothing more than feathers to be put in his hat, as he tries to make himself the big dog, over hear on bulk loads. If Kevin wants to be your new king, so be it, I really don't care. I wish all of you good luck.
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:28 PM CST
    Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
    Quote: "It really wouldn't matter what kind of answer I give you, it would be wrong according to Kevin. During CVSA , he was trying to get noticed by creating friction with others. Well last week when I started the beyond e logs thread, it was clear that he wanted to be noticed, so I allowed him to get noticed. And look how that turned out? I started this thread over here, and before I even had a chance, to get it set up and make my case, he was over here trying to put the idea in everyone's head, that I was trying to pass myself off, as some big fleet owner, and make the case, that he was the hero of the day, because he come riding in here, and saved you all, by exposing a fraud...... yet he has never once been able to show any of you, where I made the statement that i was one. So what I have learned out of all this, is that Kevin wants to be noticed, nothing else matters. I could point out how the government picks winners and losers, by deciding who gets a seat at the table, who gets bail outs, who tampers with market forces, and supply and demand, by doing things like messing with the labor market, through immigration policy, or building walls along the border, to keep out folks that want to work for less, but it wouldn't really matter. Kevin is the smart one, and others like myself who won't let him control what we think, are nothing more than feathers to be put in his hat, as he tries to make himself the big dog, over hear on bulk loads. If Kevin wants to be your new king, so be it, I really don't care. I wish all of you good luck."

    lmao.....now that....is good comedy right there....lmao. Am I the only one or does anyone else notice that when Clarence is asked a question like james and the other gentleman did , he will not answer which i guess its obvious that he has no answer , but rather takes the nancy pelosi , chuck schumer route and does his best to shift focus , blame and rhetoric on others.... which.. that typical liberal tactic....find scapegoats and try to ppace blame on others for your personal failures...right dave ?...lolwell i have asked you some direct questions , others have asked you direct questions to which you have failed to address , i do remember though in the beginning posts of a nother thread you started ....lmao you . stated in a round about way that the government created elogs in order to push americans out of trucks so that as you put it "very angry middle easterners" ... lmao could take over the industry.. and then it went to other incoherent ramblings.... but anyways ...Clarence..... please if you would , address the 2 questions above from james and the other fellow..... and if you cannot with any type of reasonable and logical explanation or answer to what they have asked you then by all means take that liberal side road once again and try to shift focus to me...or the angry middle easterners or the failing fleetowners that you care so much for.... good day......
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 01:01 PM CST
    Who's looking for a King? I come on here looking for useful information and maybe a little entertainment. But usually come away discussed that I wasted too much of my time. Don't you two have anything better to do?
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 02:29 PM CST
    Maybe DAVE WINTERS should become a broker because he seems to be better at running his mouth than his truck....:)

    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 03:07 PM CST
    Originally Posted by: DEAN HUGHSON
    Quote: "What determines the market Dave?"

    Dean if I would have told you that I read in a book, the answer was supply and demand, it wouldn't matter. Because I would then have to go back and apply the logic that Kevin Laid out last week, when he told me I sound like a idiot, for running around and telling others what I read in a article, published by someone else. The logic being that often times, the folks who right those articles have a agenda. Therefore using Kevin logic, would have to conclude, that there is no acceptable answer.
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 04:23 PM CST
    I believe it is SUPPLY AND DEMAND in some fashion. And you should know the market you are playing in.
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 06:42 PM CST
    Originally Posted by: DEAN HUGHSON
    Quote: "I believe it is SUPPLY AND DEMAND in some fashion. And you should know the market you are playing in."

    We had this conversation a while back, and Alfred brought up his penny, dime, nickel, quarter theory, and injected it into the free market theory. As I stated previously, it wouldn't have mattered what answer I gave Kevin. What dont make any sense to me, are some of the comments being made by certin people. I am making the case, to get the most money you can from the market, by not bidding cheap, just because you can. And then I got people on here, telling me they are happy to work for less, just because they can. And then they tell me, that I need to run my business better, and become more efficient ? I am not the one leaving money, out there on the table, yet I have people telling me, that I am not doing it right? And I am being attacked for pointing stuff out?
    Replied on Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 07:13 PM CST
    Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
    Quote: "We had this conversation a while back, and Alfred brought up his penny, dime, nickel, quarter theory, and injected it into the free market theory. As I stated previously, it wouldn't have mattered what answer I gave Kevin. What dont make any sense to me, are some of the comments being made by certin people. I am making the case, to get the most money you can from the market, by not bidding cheap, just because you can. And then I got people on here, telling me they are happy to work for less, just because they can. And then they tell me, that I need to run my business better, and become more efficient ? I am not the one leaving money, out there on the table, yet I have people telling me, that I am not doing it right? And I am being attacked for pointing stuff out?"

    ok dave since you cannot figure things out on your own obviously , let me see if i can help you understand a little better. lets say where you live a burger fries and a drink are 20 bucks.......

    bun 1.00
    meat 2.00
    mayo 1.00
    lettuce .50 cents
    tomato 50cents
    onion 50 cents
    fries 2.00
    oil to cook the fries 1.00
    electricity1.00
    labor 5.00

    you charge 20 bucks for that burger it cost you 14.50 to make it leaving you with 5 dollars 50 cents worth of profit

    now dave...you drive 500 miles east......same burger same fries

    bun75 cents
    meat 1.50.
    lettuce25 cents
    tomato 25 cents
    onion 25cents
    fires 1.50
    oil 75eletrictiy 50 cents
    labor 6 dollars

    i only charge 18 dollars for my burger and it only cost me 11.75 to make mine leaving me profit of 6 dollars and 25 cents

    now using those example dave , keep in mind that in different parts of the country things cost different price... you want to try to bash me and run me down because i say i get 1.75 per mile.. well dave it does not take a genius to see by using the example above that by my operating costs , supplies fuel etc i can charge less and profit more and thats even with me paying my labor more..... so dave... if you cannot realize that and realize that everything every where costs the same as it does where you operate then theres just really no hope for you , and further more.... there also places where someone may need to get even more than you charge or say you do because things cost more where they are.... right now fuel alone in your area is average 1.60.... i paid 2.09 this morning where i am , my fuel cost alone will let me charge a little less than you and still profit way more than you at a higher rate..... but... nah,, no butts , if you cannot realize what iam saying then theres no hope but then thats evident by you not being able to intelligently respond to those other gentlemens questions alone
    Replied on Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 07:32 AM CST
    karma is a real bitch...the problem with running cut throat is that there is always another vulture hqngin around the carcass....watched it for 5 yrs in the nd oil patch...theres ALWAYS some moron willing to do the same job for less....karma
    Replied on Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 09:07 PM CST
    So im a hobby trucker because i work out of house? what i i told you i have 3 trucks and 2 O/Os? That i have a shop and am a trained diesel tech.? if i ran this an had a full time job, is it just a hobby? Its funny how we stay busy all the time and the megas calling me looking for trucks. Then when i tell them we busy they want to know what kinds of loads we run, sorry find your own work.