Home > Forum > Https://Www.Dat.Com/Industry Trends/Trendlines/Reefer/National Rates

https://www.dat.com/industry-trends/trendlines/reefer/national-rates

Jul 11, 2018 at 04:46 PM CST
+ 2 - 2
Replied on Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 06:56 PM CST
+ 2 - 2
It's pretty clear that this is just getting started. The number of drivers leaving the industry is staggering, and the only solution they can come up with, is to put 18 year olds behind the wheel? At a time when Canada just legalized marijuana for the whole country, and support here in the states is so overwhelming that it's becoming main stream, How many of these 18 year olds could pass a DOT drug test? By the time they figure out that 18 year olds won't work, how high will rates be?
Replied on Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 07:29 PM CST
I know this is crazy. Dont help that the rate in the bulk industry still are not even close to what Im getting pulling some reefers I rented. I had to do it because I have to watch out for my drivers and I was able to double my drivers pay to what I call a living wage finally and they can get some family time also.
Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 07:40 AM CST
- 9
Trump administrain needs to allow to bring drivers from overseas immidiately !!!
Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 01:00 PM CST
+ 7
Originally Posted by: DEJAN PETKOVSKI
Quote: "Trump administrain needs to allow to bring drivers from overseas immidiately !!!"

Ok so we bring in foreigners..think maybe this time they should speak English? How about if these companies started treating the driver better? How about paying them a wage that they can take money home? How about the government start backing off on these regulations? How about paying the driver by the hour? That way they can sit at the shipper or receiver all day long and get paid..how about paying the driver like all others over time after 40 hour work weeks...funny thing ...todays drivers are saying the heck with this.. you can go pound nails.. make 2 times more per week..be in your bed every night not have to put up not getting paid properly.not having to eat substandard food at an over priced truck stop..and all of the trades are looking for people...thats why truck drivers are leaving...we don't need foreigners driving trucks...we need well paid and properly paid truck drivers driving trucks..

Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 01:57 PM CST
+ 1
Well put.
Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 05:13 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "It's pretty clear that this is just getting started. The number of drivers leaving the industry is staggering, and the only solution they can come up with, is to put 18 year olds behind the wheel? At a time when Canada just legalized marijuana for the whole country, and support here in the states is so overwhelming that it's becoming main stream, How many of these 18 year olds could pass a DOT drug test? By the time they figure out that 18 year olds won't work, how high will rates be?"

it's not legal until October and it certainly is not an option for use for drivers who want to work. i would be more concerned about the lack of training for drivers, especially open deck, super b's and bulk trucks. also cell phone use seems to be the most prevalent safety concern on the roads these days as well as driver safety errors. we have experienced with the Bronco hockey team collision.
Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 08:01 PM CST
Originally Posted by: NANCY HARDER
Quote: "it's not legal until October and it certainly is not an option for use for drivers who want to work. i would be more concerned about the lack of training for drivers, especially open deck, super b's and bulk trucks. also cell phone use seems to be the most prevalent safety concern on the roads these days as well as driver safety errors. we have experienced with the Bronco hockey team collision. "

I don't see the insurance companies or DOT, ever backing off of drug testing. And since this stays in your urine for 30 days, and in your hair follicles for over a year, there are going to be a lot of folks who cannot qualify to drive truck. Folks who may not of used before because it was illegal, may now give it a try, especially young people. So the pool to recruit qualified candidates from just got smaller, which will drive rates higher starting in October. If lowering the age to 18 is supposed to bring relief to rates, I wouldn't hold my breath. I do agree with you about proper training, but experience is the best teacher, and with a revolving door and 100% turnover we will never get there. There are companies out there paying a $10,000.00 sign on bonus for a new driver, but they will not offer the same to a driver who has been there years? And they wonder why drivers get pissed off and quit?
Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 08:26 PM CST
+ 2 - 1
I dont know about you all but I dont think the rates are high enough for cost of fuel rite now and everything else that has inflated in price like repairs and insurance. And if you think these $2.00 a mile hopper rates are to high you need your head examined. I dont see much need or demand to haul any of these hopper loads under $3.00 a mile.
Replied on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 09:55 PM CST
Anyone who thinks rates are ever coming down should have their head examined. The government really stepped in it this time. Trucks that used to sell in a week, now sit on Craigslist for months, at fire sale prices, many of them are ELD exempt, and still don't move.
Replied on Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:43 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "It's pretty clear that this is just getting started. The number of drivers leaving the industry is staggering, and the only solution they can come up with, is to put 18 year olds behind the wheel? At a time when Canada just legalized marijuana for the whole country, and support here in the states is so overwhelming that it's becoming main stream, How many of these 18 year olds could pass a DOT drug test? By the time they figure out that 18 year olds won't work, how high will rates be?"

I did and could but i guess that was 30 years ago. It really does not matter if the driver is 18 or 80 if they are not properly trained both can be very dangerous. There needs to be more and better on the job training and mentor programs in all kinds of weather, mountains, and big cities and rush hour traffic and train them in all types of hauling and securement like flatbeds, open barrel tankers hazmats top heavy loads proper braking and how to ajust your brakes, how to fix broken air lines and splice them, how to change out a parking brake without getting yourself killed, how to brake down and mount a tire and tighten lug nut correctly and safely. I was raised in the industry though and had the advantage and blessed to be taught by some really good older guys. I think more of this stuff needs to be taught more on the HIgh School level. People that work in electrical trades have to go through special mentor on the job training programs so they don't cause a huge fire or end up getting fried. I would think putting someone in a forty ton vehicle with not proper training is pretty dangerous
Replied on Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "Anyone who thinks rates are ever coming down should have their head examined. The government really stepped in it this time. Trucks that used to sell in a week, now sit on Craigslist for months, at fire sale prices, many of them are ELD exempt, and still don't move. "

Thanks for the good news. Shippers will just have to gett out their check book more.
Replied on Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:09 PM CST
- 1
Not in the bulk hopper industry. Small fleets and O/O make up the majority of this industry and they will sell there souls to these mega billion dollar comanys all day long burning $3.50 a gal fuel for $1.75 a mile on a 300 mile load that take 2 days to haul because of all the waiting around time sitting in lines for these loads. If you havent notice these loads are still moving for 1/3 to 1/2 the rate of the others and there is no shortage of trucks willing to haul them.
Replied on Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 02:20 PM CST
- 1
I don't know about you, but I am having a jolly good time watching all of the KAOS going on since December 18th. The entertainment value is priceless, watching the government and meggafleets try to do damage control of the mess that they created. Fact is drivers are leaving faster than they can replace them, and they don't have a plan to fix it. Deep down inside, everyone wants to be a outlaw, because they dream of the freedom that comes with being a outlaw. The outlaw image sells big time, look at which TV shows are popular, sons of anarchy, breaking bad, animal kingdom, justified, the sopranos, weeds, etc. The image that the ATA is trying to push is a total opposite of that, it's just not sexy.
Replied on Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "I don't see the insurance companies or DOT, ever backing off of drug testing. And since this stays in your urine for 30 days, and in your hair follicles for over a year, there are going to be a lot of folks who cannot qualify to drive truck. Folks who may not of used before because it was illegal, may now give it a try, especially young people. So the pool to recruit qualified candidates from just got smaller, which will drive rates higher starting in October. If lowering the age to 18 is supposed to bring relief to rates, I wouldn't hold my breath. I do agree with you about proper training, but experience is the best teacher, and with a revolving door and 100% turnover we will never get there. There are companies out there paying a $10,000.00 sign on bonus for a new driver, but they will not offer the same to a driver who has been there years? And they wonder why drivers get pissed off and quit? "

Pot has always been tested and if you embibe you will receive a 30 day shutdown of no revenue so the same rules apply as always. i am glad they will step up the testing now due to the new laws now we just need to see a crackdown on texters which kills an insane amount of people each year whether they have 4 or 18 wheels.
Replied on Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 02:10 PM CST
Originally Posted by: NANCY HARDER
Quote: "Pot has always been tested and if you embibe you will receive a 30 day shutdown of no revenue so the same rules apply as always. i am glad they will step up the testing now due to the new laws now we just need to see a crackdown on texters which kills an insane amount of people each year whether they have 4 or 18 wheels."

Nancy somehow your missing the point. The only way rates can go down for you shippers, is if you can flood the market with new drivers. Now let's say that a few meggafleets decide to hold a job fair, obviously these people who are attending do not yet have CDL's, they have to be hired and trained to get a CDL. However that can't happen if these folks can't pass a drug test, because they were at a party within the last year and smoked pot, thinking that it's ok since it's legal. Shippers might as well face up to the fact, there is nobody coming to save them. Rates can only go up, so be prepared to get out your checkbook.
Replied on Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 03:29 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "Nancy somehow your missing the point. The only way rates can go down for you shippers, is if you can flood the market with new drivers. Now let's say that a few meggafleets decide to hold a job fair, obviously these people who are attending do not yet have CDL's, they have to be hired and trained to get a CDL. However that can't happen if these folks can't pass a drug test, because they were at a party within the last year and smoked pot, thinking that it's ok since it's legal. Shippers might as well face up to the fact, there is nobody coming to save them. Rates can only go up, so be prepared to get out your checkbook."

I bet these job faire are not very productive..my neighbor is a mid management for a national pet store..they only get 3 or 4 to their job faires...bet the trucking industry is less than that...for many it's having to get out of mommy and daddys basement...then they have to pass a drug test..and yes urine can be fooled to show up negative...then they find out how long they will be gone..and the pay involved...when you have an industry that is an 8 hour day..pays by the hour..most employers won't lie to you..you sleep in your own bed..and eat at home..plus you're able to be in your kids life...and then there is trucking...and for the hair testing...if you have shaved head and body...you have nothing to test...if you have long hair...the testing will pick up the drug proteins for the age of the hair...what about the good old LSD users...drug testing is less than 1/2 hour..as the spot is so small...so we have a bunch of truckers taking a trip and never leaving home? Most of the trucking industry the rates are going up...if your industry they dont..you may want to readjusting your game plan..its all about supply and demand...
Replied on Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 06:58 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "I bet these job faire are not very productive..my neighbor is a mid management for a national pet store..they only get 3 or 4 to their job faires...bet the trucking industry is less than that...for many it's having to get out of mommy and daddys basement...then they have to pass a drug test..and yes urine can be fooled to show up negative...then they find out how long they will be gone..and the pay involved...when you have an industry that is an 8 hour day..pays by the hour..most employers won't lie to you..you sleep in your own bed..and eat at home..plus you're able to be in your kids life...and then there is trucking...and for the hair testing...if you have shaved head and body...you have nothing to test...if you have long hair...the testing will pick up the drug proteins for the age of the hair...what about the good old LSD users...drug testing is less than 1/2 hour..as the spot is so small...so we have a bunch of truckers taking a trip and never leaving home? Most of the trucking industry the rates are going up...if your industry they dont..you may want to readjusting your game plan..its all about supply and demand..."

Data in recent years has shown that only .5 of 1% of applicants are usable, once you check their driving record, and drug test them. This has been reported many times in different trucking publications, and recently touched upon in a interview with Todd spencer when he was a guest on Fox News. If the problem is that big in a era of marijuana prohibition, it's hard for me to believe that legalization is not going to amplify the problem. But let's completely drop those facts for the moment. Can you show me where the drivers are going to come from, that are going to solve the shortage and save the shippers? Rates have went up for the 15th month in a row now, and 12% since June alone, and analysts say this trend will likely continue into 2020. There are companies out there that have raised driver pay 12% since December. Some are now paying company drivers .70 cents a mile, and can't find drivers. Some a paying a $10,000.00 sign on bonus, and can't find anyone. Today I passed a Reinhardt foods bulletin board on I-94 near rogers mn, and their offering a $7500.00 dollar sign on bonus. Eventually this is going to hit the hopper market, since it's widely understood that he who dies with the most toys wins.
Replied on Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 08:38 PM CST
- 1
Jeff I agree with you that the working man has had the shit kicked out of him, for the past 40 years, especially us truckers. But how far can we push rates? Will the government raise minimum wage to [email protected], just so us truckers can get [email protected]? Where is the ceiling right now?