Home > Forum > Teenage Truckers

Teenage truckers

Apr 11, 2018 at 02:53 PM CST
+ 7 - 2
This is government logic at it's finest. We have experienced, s afe, veteran drivers that have been driving most of their lives that need to be regulated with elds because that will make us safer but inexperienced, teenage drivers is thier solution to the driver's shortage. Wow, no safety issues there! No wonder this country is in the shape it's in.
Replied on Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:11 PM CST
+ 1 - 2
Very well spoken...my opinion is the same as yours and I am sure MILLIONS of others. When the age limit law was put into place, it was based on conditions that it takes time, knowledge, experience and safety. Why did all that get tossed out the window, just to accommodate the economy, to jeopardize our lives and safety. WHY do we have law makers , that don' even drive a car, don't own a car, bc they are shuffled around in limos and planes, never been inside a big truck, and have no common sense or knowledge of what it takes to work and survive on highways.....(there are thousands of individuals over the age of 25 that jeopardize all of our lives on a daily basis). ..facts can be seen at all the missing and mangled up road guards and crash sites. Truckers lives matter...make our highways smarter and safe. ELD was to lower the death rate by saving 26 lives a yr...um..now a teenager is in ront of a load next to us on the road, bad decision...death rate major increase...
Replied on Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 01:12 AM CST
+ 4 - 1
Originally Posted by: DIANE BAUMANN
Quote: "Very well spoken...my opinion is the same as yours and I am sure MILLIONS of others. When the age limit law was put into place, it was based on conditions that it takes time, knowledge, experience and safety. Why did all that get tossed out the window, just to accommodate the economy, to jeopardize our lives and safety. WHY do we have law makers , that don' even drive a car, don't own a car, bc they are shuffled around in limos and planes, never been inside a big truck, and have no common sense or knowledge of what it takes to work and survive on highways.....(there are thousands of individuals over the age of 25 that jeopardize all of our lives on a daily basis). ..facts can be seen at all the missing and mangled up road guards and crash sites. Truckers lives matter...make our highways smarter and safe. ELD was to lower the death rate by saving 26 lives a yr...um..now a teenager is in ront of a load next to us on the road, bad decision...death rate major increase..."

Look at many of the meat in the seats that are over 26..and cant chew gum and drive at the same time..the insurance companies set the minimums on many of the regulations..
and just for information.. i got my class 1 chauffeurs license when I was 20...so its not age.. but being resposible...if you think age plays into a safety and responsibility factor..why do they give machine guns...hand grenades...bombs etc to 18 year olds...As In The Military..
Replied on Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 07:48 AM CST
+ 7 - 1
I would guess most of the veteran drivers out there were driving a semi of some form when they were 16. Ya I agree MOST teenagers aren't ready for the highway until they are older. But alot are. The 740th transportation company out of milbank sd can send a willing 18 year old to haul ammo and food on an IED infested highway in Afghanistan and nobody protests that. Because some of those teenagers are tough and mature for their age.

I agree with most of your opinions that teenagers are a bit too young , especially in the age of auto shifts when it requires a bit less coordination than it used to. But...you can't get future experienced drivers without letting young people drive. Most millennials are anti work anyway so I doubt there will be many of them lining up to drive anyway. Are there really that many of you experienced drivers out there that didn't start when you were 16??
Replied on Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:53 PM CST
+ 4
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "Look at many of the meat in the seats that are over 26..and cant chew gum and drive at the same time..the insurance companies set the minimums on many of the regulations.. and just for information.. i got my class 1 chauffeurs license when I was 20...so its not age.. but being resposible...if you think age plays into a safety and responsibility factor..why do they give machine guns...hand grenades...bombs etc to 18 year olds...As In The Military.."

it does not matter if someone is 16 or 90 if they have not received proper training and or don't have the right attitude matureness and positive learning and safety responsibe attitude courtesy of others. i have worked with all ages and trained some. Some were excellent and some that i could not wait until they left. some were complete know it all jerks and wre the first to have accidents. I was trained by my father and another older friend of father so i had a bigger advantage being raised around the industry all my life. I don't know how one puts age limits on responsibility and maturity. I have a cousin in his sixties thats never held down a full time job because he is a imature spoiled brat
Replied on Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 08:51 AM CST
+ 4
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "Look at many of the meat in the seats that are over 26..and cant chew gum and drive at the same time..the insurance companies set the minimums on many of the regulations.. and just for information.. i got my class 1 chauffeurs license when I was 20...so its not age.. but being resposible...if you think age plays into a safety and responsibility factor..why do they give machine guns...hand grenades...bombs etc to 18 year olds...As In The Military.."

Back when I learned we did not have cell phones and could not text and drive, think about that!
Replied on Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:50 AM CST
Originally Posted by: GLENN SELLHORST
Quote: "Back when I learned we did not have cell phones and could not text and drive, think about that!"

Nor did we have gps telling us how to get there...
Replied on Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 07:38 PM CST
+ 1
I'd rather see them trained by the two previous gentleman who posted, instead of trained by the new generation of CDL trainers. You were very lucky to be trained in by real word drivers. Here's a question on the current CDL test...if your tractor looses air pressure while traveling at highway speed, what should you do?? The answer, which I got wrong, was call a mechanic from your hands free device while driving...I selected pull over and inspect. Got it wrong.

The way the dot works, more senseless information will be given to the next generation. Maybe let the younger ones get behind the wheel with a baby boomer next to them. Before the government selects who can train. Nobody can argue that distracted driving is dangerous. I'd personally just rather see someone willing to train them,. Just like someone did you all when you were young
Replied on Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:27 PM CST
Got my CDLS when i was 18. have pull oversize loads, step and flat bed, doubles through mountains, snow and all kinds of weather and different places. Now. I dont wanna say much but never been in a crash. Thank God. There's many drivers out there they dont know what they are doing young and old. because the simple dont give a crap for the equipment, people and simple do it for money. I think there needs to be a passion for it, have some knowledge of the truck and highways, and be willing to learn to drive them selfs, not GPS and phones.
Replied on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 02:20 AM CST
My son got his cdl at 18. Insurance company only went along because of his racing experience. By age 16 he had been rac ing since 10 and had a NASCAR one mile license. First one at the time West of the Mississippi. He's still at it.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 02:34 PM CST
+ 1
I didn't mean to insinuate that teenage drivers can't drive, I started driving on the farm very young. However the laws in place now only allowing those under 21 to be able to operate intrastate or locally is a good fit for those situations. I started doing some over the road at 21 and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It was way different than hauling local and i still had 5-6 years of experience to guide me. What I was getting at was I don't believe there should be stricter regulations put on experienced drivers with a good safety record at the same time relaxing regulations on unproven inexperienced drivers. Everyone has to start somewhere but I don't believe this is how to go about it.
Replied on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 03:13 PM CST
Originally Posted by: NATHAN WESOLOWSKI
Quote: "I didn't mean to insinuate that teenage drivers can't drive, I started driving on the farm very young. However the laws in place now only allowing those under 21 to be able to operate intrastate or locally is a good fit for those situations. I started doing some over the road at 21 and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. It was way different than hauling local and i still had 5-6 years of experience to guide me. What I was getting at was I don't believe there should be stricter regulations put on experienced drivers with a good safety record at the same time relaxing regulations on unproven inexperienced drivers. Everyone has to start somewhere but I don't believe this is how to go about it."

I would completely agree with that. Well said
Replied on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 06:35 PM CST
+ 1 - 2
So your mad that now you have to follow the HOS laws? What doenst make any sence to me is. I can run my 20 year old driver all over NC from the coast to the mountians. Aross I40 though the Triangle, or up and down I95 all day. But he cant go 50 miles north into VA. Maybe all new cdl holder should have a restiction to state in there home state for 4 years. Whats the differance between a 18 year old and a 45 year old new driver? I can tell you not much, they both tare stuff up, they both know every thing. I take the 18 year old every time, i can train them, they work harder and dont seem to stand around with there hand out as much.
Replied on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 07:33 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DANIEL CORBIN
Quote: "So your mad that now you have to follow the HOS laws? What doenst make any sence to me is. I can run my 20 year old driver all over NC from the coast to the mountians. Aross I40 though the Triangle, or up and down I95 all day. But he cant go 50 miles north into VA. Maybe all new cdl holder should have a restiction to state in there home state for 4 years. Whats the differance between a 18 year old and a 45 year old new driver? I can tell you not much, they both tare stuff up, they both know every thing. I take the 18 year old every time, i can train them, they work harder and dont seem to stand around with there hand out as much."

First off, where did I say I was mad? Second I follow HOS rules even with my paper logs (my truck is old so I'm exempt). Third and most importantly, I'm against most government regulations period. I don't believe that people who have no idea what we are doing out here should be writing the laws for what I can and can't do. Many of these lawmakers seem to want to take a cookie cutter approach to the laws written for our industry. A one size fits all approach doesn't work in trucking.
Replied on Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 10:11 PM CST
+ 1
I know there are some pretty awesome youngster that started driving 14 or so yrs of age. And they have grasped the feel and know how to drive and handle loads. I don' have a problem with these teenagers. It's the younger individuals that J.B. Hunt, Swift, Snider, CRST, etc...Will hire and put behind a windshield. Those companies hire any warm body they can to fill a seat. That's their method for hiring all ages in fact. That's the part that is NOT fair to any if us. If we think trying to stay a live and safe was tough before, wait till those companies put 1000's of more trucks on our highways with teenagers at the wheel.
Replied on Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:54 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DIANE BAUMANN
Quote: "I know there are some pretty awesome youngster that started driving 14 or so yrs of age. And they have grasped the feel and know how to drive and handle loads. I don' have a problem with these teenagers. It's the younger individuals that J.B. Hunt, Swift, Snider, CRST, etc...Will hire and put behind a windshield. Those companies hire any warm body they can to fill a seat. That's their method for hiring all ages in fact. That's the part that is NOT fair to any if us. If we think trying to stay a live and safe was tough before, wait till those companies put 1000's of more trucks on our highways with teenagers at the wheel. "

I agree with your point. What I also think is unfair, is the fact that the DMV lists some of those companies as third party CDL testers for the behind the wheel exam. I don't think that is ok. I think they are biased towards getting their new hires a CDL ASAP. I say that because they will fail a young person for shifting gears without using the clutch pedal, but pass a person that would rather call for a tow, because they cant drive in reverse for more than 20 feet. I'm not trying to insinuate that I'm Mr expert driver. Because I'm not...at all. I just think the government should stay out of it...wether it's age or testing. They always put people with no experience in charge anyway
Replied on Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 02:51 PM CST
- 1
Let's ask the question, who is likely to benefit the most from this? The self insured megga carries. So let's make a deal, we let them have this, and in exchange they give up the right to self insure, and have to buy insurance on the open market, just like the rest of us, to guarantee a level playing field, and provide some unbiased checks and balances, to guarantee the public safety?
Replied on Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 09:53 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "Let's ask the question, who is likely to benefit the most from this? The self insured megga carries. So let's make a deal, we let them have this, and in exchange they give up the right to self insure, and have to buy insurance on the open market, just like the rest of us, to guarantee a level playing field, and provide some unbiased checks and balances, to guarantee the public safety? "

My thoughts exactly. It will not cost mega carriers that are self insured any more to put 18 year olds in their truck. If I would hire an 18 yr old that is safe and competent my insurance would be that bad it wouldn't work if they would insure him at all .
Replied on Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 01:50 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DALE HERMANS
Quote: "I'd rather see them trained by the two previous gentleman who posted, instead of trained by the new generation of CDL trainers. You were very lucky to be trained in by real word drivers. Here's a question on the current CDL test...if your tractor looses air pressure while traveling at highway speed, what should you do?? The answer, which I got wrong, was call a mechanic from your hands free device while driving...I selected pull over and inspect. Got it wrong. The way the dot works, more senseless information will be given to the next generation. Maybe let the younger ones get behind the wheel with a baby boomer next to them. Before the government selects who can train. Nobody can argue that distracted driving is dangerous. I'd personally just rather see someone willing to train them,. Just like someone did you all when you were young"

I would have missed that too... I would be too busy holding on to call anyone.
Replied on Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:08 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "Let's ask the question, who is likely to benefit the most from this? The self insured megga carries. So let's make a deal, we let them have this, and in exchange they give up the right to self insure, and have to buy insurance on the open market, just like the rest of us, to guarantee a level playing field, and provide some unbiased checks and balances, to guarantee the public safety? "

The reason that some if not most of the mega carriers are self-insured is they have to be. Either got to the point that they couldn't get insurance on the open market or couldn't afford it due to number of claims put in.
Replied on Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 08:26 AM CST
Originally Posted by: NATHAN WESOLOWSKI
Quote: "First off, where did I say I was mad? Second I follow HOS rules even with my paper logs (my truck is old so I'm exempt). Third and most importantly, I'm against most government regulations period. I don't believe that people who have no idea what we are doing out here should be writing the laws for what I can and can't do. Many of these lawmakers seem to want to take a cookie cutter approach to the laws written for our industry. A one size fits all approach doesn't work in trucking. "

You are exactly right. The cookie cutter approach is not working and will not work.