Home > Forum > The Deal They Made With Trump?

The deal they made with trump?

Feb 01, 2018 at 10:55 AM CST
+ 4 - 1
Many of us were baffled why trump did not intervene and stop the ELD mandate. What sticks out to me the most, is the way the media has been reporting the story, that the ELD could not be responsible for the transportation crisis, becuase the HOS did not change...... The spin that is being pushed, is that it is the trump economy that is driving it, becuase trump is such a genius, that now for the first time in history there are not enough trucks, the economy is growing so fast, that nothing can keep up to it, including trucking........ And leading the cheer is who? The ATA. So now you get every business owner in America fighting for trucks, and they wonder why? And then they pick up some publication like transport topics, etc and they read these articles that are influenced by the ATA, and propaganda becomes perception. A move strait out of Joseph Goebbels play book. Trump has managed to steal the ATA's microphone, and exploit it for his own purposes, and all it cost him was the ELD mandate. Now here comes the mainstream media, who supposedly hates trump, and they cannot expose this, because they are a bunch of ultra liberals who worship the concept of regulation, it's one of their core values, if not their god. Trump has once again out maneuvered his opponents.
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 02:51 PM CST
+ 3
Ever think that just maybe.. the ELD is LAW and not a mandate.. it was stuffed into a highway bill that congress passed and obama signed..if you want it changed.. complain to congress..force them to change the LAW and i bet Trump would have no problem signing the LAW to get rid of ELDs.
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 05:11 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "Ever think that just maybe.. the ELD is LAW and not a mandate.. it was stuffed into a highway bill that congress passed and obama signed..if you want it changed.. complain to congress..force them to change the LAW and i bet Trump would have no problem signing the LAW to get rid of ELDs."

As I understand it, congressmen Brian Babbin looked into the matter, and not only told trump that he had the authority to act on this, but begged him to, and trump refused, so therefore it was his will not to act. A president can overturn a law, and a Supreme Court ruling, Remember when President Ford overturned a Supreme Court conviction and pardoned Former president Nixon?
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 05:44 PM CST
Originally Posted by: JEFF PEARSON
Quote: "Ever think that just maybe.. the ELD is LAW and not a mandate.. it was stuffed into a highway bill that congress passed and obama signed..if you want it changed.. complain to congress..force them to change the LAW and i bet Trump would have no problem signing the LAW to get rid of ELDs."

Jeff if the only way to make trump sign this, is to put him in a box and tie his hands as you suggest by having congress force the issue on him, then How can you say that trump supports us truckers?
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 06:03 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "As I understand it, congressmen Brian Babbin looked into the matter, and not only told trump that he had the authority to act on this, but begged him to, and trump refused, so therefore it was his will not to act. A president can overturn a law, and a Supreme Court ruling, Remember when President Ford overturned a Supreme Court conviction and pardoned Former president Nixon?"

First Nixon was never tried.. or sentenced.he quit before it got started.. stating he didnt want to put the country through this...and a president can pardon or give clemancy on anybody..just like clinton did that guy that was the tax evader.. or joe arpio...and a president cant overturn a law.. the court can..with the supreme court being the final on a law ..if it goes that far..actually the best thing we can do is just let this ride out..write letters to the editors telling the public just why their freight is going to be slow.. and more expensive.. this is election year with every congressman.. and a whole bunch of senators running..and i bet we could work this ELD into the election..and make alot of the politicians very nervous..if 1000 truck drivers wrote their congressman this would start to tighten up the noose around their neck..you can go and google your senator and congressman and email them..or write them.. calling only goes so far..go to their campaign meetings and when they have question time yell out when are you going to get rid of the ELDs and why will this slow up commerce..there will always be some news media there..i bet that will get something...
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 08:29 PM CST
What was significant about Nixons pardon, is how can you pardon someone who has not yet been convicted of a crime? It was preemptive, and there was no precident for it, had never been done before, and this was going on at a time when the Supreme Court was looking into the matter. Many legal experts agree that had that not happened there would have been a trial and a conviction. So by preemptively granting a pardon, and having Nixon resign, they were able to dodge the bullet, and undermine the System, setting up the ground work for future challenges. Also a Supreme Court ruling, can be overturned by a constitutional amendment, so the supreme courts word is by no means the last one........... That said I definitely agree with you that this ELD mandate is going to come back to haunt them. The price of concrete doubled this year in the twin cities metro area, so I have to wonder what this mandate is doing to the price of everything else.
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 09:57 PM CST
And yes I misspoke when I said that ford overturned a Supreme Court conviction. I should of said that he impeded a Supreme Court investigation, but the outcome was the same, they were comprised. It was a brilliant move, and I can respect that, And I think it was brilliant how trump played the ATA, and made them into little propaganda bitches...... That said I wish we were not considered to be cannon fodder.
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 10:20 PM CST
Ooida is sending out an email with info and phone number to contact congressmen regarding trucker issues.I called them but one last week why so many people are calling. So I guess this approach is working.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 10:22 PM CST
+ 1
I believe we have a voice. Not enough of us use it.

Art Pfluger
Replied on Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 08:57 AM CST
+ 1
I AGREE TOTALLY. WE ALL HAVE A VOICE. SOMETIMES WE NEED TO PUT A LITTLE MORE VOLUME INTO IT THO. I CALLED OUR ILLUSTRIOUS CONGRESSMAN FROM OUR DISTRICT HERE IN NE AND GOT THE RUNAROUND PRETTY GOOD ABOUT WHAT AN HONOR IT WAS TO SERVE THE PEOPLE OF THE 3RD DISTRICT. ONLY WHEN I TOLD HIM THAT I WOULD NOT VOTE FOR HIM IN THE UPCOMING MIDTERMS, I WOULD MAKE SURE TO TELL EVERYONE I COULD HOW MUCH BULL OUR "PUBLIC SERVANT" IS FULL OF. (NOT THAT THE 3RD DISTRICT DOESN'T ALREADY KNOW IT) IT KIND OF GOT THE REACTION I WAS LOOKING FOR. AT LEAST HE TOOK THE TIME TO HEAR ME OUT. SOMETIMES A PERSON HAS TO BE A LITTLE GROWLY WHEN TALKING TO POLITICIANS. THE SAME APPROACH ALSO WORKED WITH OUR TWO SENATORS. DON'T KNOW IF A LITTLE BITE IN THE BACKSIDE WILL HELP OR NOT BUT AT LEAST I GOT SAID WHAT I WANTED SAID.
Replied on Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 10:01 AM CST
+ 1 - 1
A president most definitely CANNOT overturn a law unilaterally. The executive branch (the president) is only allowed to execute a law (sign it).

Also, Nixon was never convicted of anything. Nixon was never even charged with anything. Nixon wasn't even impeached.

Also, the Supreme Court cannot convict anyone of anything. It is not a criminal court.

Also, President Ford pardoned Nixon in advance of him ever being charged with a crime.

Also, the only way a president could overturn a law would be to sign a bill (passed by Congress) that negated some previous law. Until that new bill lands on his desk, he has to sit there in the Oval Office waiting for Congress to pass a law before he is allowed to sign it. He has VERY limited powers enumerated in the Constitution.

Although, technically he could destroy the entire planet with nukes if he wanted to. He would not even need permission from anyone to do it. So that's not great....
Replied on Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 04:54 PM CST
Originally Posted by: GABRIEL PATTON
Quote: "A president most definitely CANNOT overturn a law unilaterally. The executive branch (the president) is only allowed to execute a law (sign it). Also, Nixon was never convicted of anything. Nixon was never even charged with anything. Nixon wasn't even impeached. Also, the Supreme Court cannot convict anyone of anything. It is not a criminal court. Also, President Ford pardoned Nixon in advance of him ever being charged with a crime. Also, the only way a president could overturn a law would be to sign a bill (passed by Congress) that negated some previous law. Until that new bill lands on his desk, he has to sit there in the Oval Office waiting for Congress to pass a law before he is allowed to sign it. He has VERY limited powers enumerated in the Constitution. Although, technically he could destroy the entire planet with nukes if he wanted to. He would not even need permission from anyone to do it. So that's not great...."

How can you pardon someone who has not been convicted of a crime? It would be like a priest giving last rights to someone who wanted to commit suicide. There is something called procedure, in any system that must be followed. The Supreme courts role in the Nixon matter, is that they were looking into the prosecutions arguments to see if they had merit. By maneuvering the way the Nixon team did, they were able to undermined the Supreme Court, and compromise their authority. I believe this is what sets up the argument to challenge them, becuase this was one of the details cited at the time of the Babbin amendment. There is a lot of evidence that would suggest the executive branch supersedes the Supreme Court, after all it takes a president to appoint a judge to the Supreme Court. And a president can By executive action, Invoke to appoint, rather than merely nominate a judge. There are several precincts for it, going back as far as Roosevelt in 1905. If a president asked his own party for a constitutional amendment, its hard to believe he wouldn't see one offered................. That said I think your missing the main point here, a sitting congressman already asked trump to intervine, and he refused.....So what's to say that trump won't veto a bill brought to him by congress?
Replied on Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 11:24 AM CST
What is that number?
Replied on Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 05:40 AM CST
Originally Posted by: DAVE WINTERS
Quote: "How can you pardon someone who has not been convicted of a crime? It would be like a priest giving last rights to someone who wanted to commit suicide. There is something called procedure, in any system that must be followed. The Supreme courts role in the Nixon matter, is that they were looking into the prosecutions arguments to see if they had merit. By maneuvering the way the Nixon team did, they were able to undermined the Supreme Court, and compromise their authority. I believe this is what sets up the argument to challenge them, becuase this was one of the details cited at the time of the Babbin amendment. There is a lot of evidence that would suggest the executive branch supersedes the Supreme Court, after all it takes a president to appoint a judge to the Supreme Court. And a president can By executive action, Invoke to appoint, rather than merely nominate a judge. There are several precincts for it, going back as far as Roosevelt in 1905. If a president asked his own party for a constitutional amendment, its hard to believe he wouldn't see one offered................. That said I think your missing the main point here, a sitting congressman already asked trump to intervine, and he refused.....So what's to say that trump won't veto a bill brought to him by congress? "

Hello good morning Peace. It's always goin to be the man or woman in The house gettin that nickel out of your pocket you have to play the game just as much as they do. Have a good day be safe. Peace