Home > Forum > Brokers Really Don’T Have An Idea What Small Companies Do When They Don’T Turn In Loads To Be Paid.

Brokers really don’t have an idea what small companies do when they don’t turn in loads to be paid.

Oct 07, 2020 at 09:11 AM CST
+ 32 - 9

What we do to keep old trucks on the road to haul cheap grain for brokers who don't want or care to pay you in a timely manner. From taking out small loans to parking and working a side job to playing video poker at the casinos. We bust our equipment up on the roughest roads and pull out of fields that tractors get stuck to make your life in that chair you sit in a little more comfortable so you can screw with people who work their equipment hard to get the load from the farms to the mills or feedyards or plants. Allot of us have to go from loads to loads to make our payments insurance companies don't give a shit if your not paid but they care if your payment to them isn't on time . Bankers still get payed and most parts and fuel are pre paid nowadays as many people don't use in house credit or maxed out credit cards. I see more companies trucks going by and when you run the small independent trucks out of business you will pay the big companies what they want to haul your product or they will just "cut you out to " . I proudly sign my name to this Bryan Hugen ,H and H trucking ,Gordon Ne.

Replied on Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 06:53 PM CST
+ 3
Imagine if an auto repair shop sells jane a set of tires for her car. Jane says to them, I'll pay you for the tires in 45 days, or else I'll pay you now, but I'll keep 5 percent for myself if I pay you now. Id guess the auto shop would never do business with Jane again....

Its sad to see so many thumbs downs on your post. Luckily for me , I haul almost 100 percent direct with the shippers now, so im usually paid instantly. I feel bad for the good quality shippers and brokers. They are getting outnumbered, and the good ones have to pick up the financial slaque that the scum bags leave. Unfortunately I have to charge some people 4 or 5 bucks a loaded mile, because I have to bounce empty for 300 or 400 miles, at least, because I refuse to haul a load that even pays 1.80 per mile. The whole situation puts unnecessary burden on good people.
Replied on Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 07:37 AM CST
+ 4
I have come to realize that this industry is no longer a business, it’s a hobby because a business makes a profit, or it goes out of business, but if it’s a hobby you just keep doing it, for recreational purposes, ie building show trucks, while you live on food stamps and go without health care. Spend a few minutes on google, and you will find that a trucking operation only makes 5 cents on a dollar on it’s best day, well the average person working a normal job and investing in a 401k makes 4-8% on their investment, so if making money is the motivation for trucking, it’s not a very good plan, and could explain why companies like YRC, had to be bailed out, even though they had direct customers, and get paid up front in the LTL market. 5% In trucking is the best, but even YRC didn’t see it, or they wouldn’t have gotten bailed out, 2% is far more common, and if anything goes wrong? Your done.
Replied on Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 08:38 AM CST
+ 3 - 1

Bryan, I would consider running your business like a business. That's what your banker and insurance company do. In case you are unaware, you are selling a service and the broker is your customer.

Replied on Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 10:17 AM CST
+ 1
I don’t blame Bryan for being frustrated, sometimes it’s the broker but most of the time it’s other carriers setting the rates by undercutting the market. Some of my colleagues pay their company drivers with a 1099, others exploit immigrants, often skirting work comp, and unemployment insurance, and I am forced to complete against them. The sad fact of the matter is, people will not do what is right on their own, government must force them.
Replied on Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 07:27 AM CST
Quote: "I don’t blame Bryan for being frustrated, sometimes it’s the broker but most of the time it’s other carriers setting the rates by undercutting the market. Some of my colleagues pay their company drivers with a 1099, others exploit immigrants, often skirting work comp, and unemployment insurance, and I am forced to complete against them. The sad fact of the matter is, people will not do what is right on their own, government must force them. "

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE CROOKS EVERYWHERE IN EVERY INDUSTRY BUT IT IS UP TO US TO TELL THEM NO WAY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! WHAT IS ALSO BAD IS SOME OF THESE COMPANIES MIGHT ALSO BE GETTING TAX BREAKS FOR HIRING THE IMMIGRANTS. NOT RACIST AND I WANT EVERYONE TO HAVE A GOOD OPORTUNITY BUT BE FAIR AND ETHICAL. THOSE FAKE 1099 PEOPLE MIGHT FIND OUT SOME DAY THE HARD WAY WHEN THEY HAVE AN ACCIDENT OR CLAIM AGAINST THEM HOW MUCH THE COMPANY OR OWNER IS GOING TO STAND UP FOR THEM OR WILL THEY CUT AND RUN AWAY AND LEAVE THAT SO CALLED FAKE 1099 GUY LEFT TO FACE JAIL OR PRISON.
Replied on Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 08:18 AM CST
There is good money in trucking if they would just stop being greedy
Replied on Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 11:06 AM CST
Quote: "I have come to realize that this industry is no longer a business, it’s a hobby because a business makes a profit, or it goes out of business, but if it’s a hobby you just keep doing it, for recreational purposes, ie building show trucks, while you live on food stamps and go without health care. Spend a few minutes on google, and you will find that a trucking operation only makes 5 cents on a dollar on it’s best day, well the average person working a normal job and investing in a 401k makes 4-8% on their investment, so if making money is the motivation for trucking, it’s not a very good plan, and could explain why companies like YRC, had to be bailed out, even though they had direct customers, and get paid up front in the LTL market. 5% In trucking is the best, but even YRC didn’t see it, or they wouldn’t have gotten bailed out, 2% is far more common, and if anything goes wrong? Your done. "

Then how do company owners become millionaires with just a few trucks?

Replied on Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM CST
+ 1

Anyone that has been on this load board long enough probably has noticed "All these brokers are still in business, hired more dispatchers and opened up more offices." And in 2019 there was over 700 trucking companies, small fleets and OO closed their doors and or filed bankruptcy AND 649 trucking companies in 2020. And in these last 2 plus yrs the number of brokers has more than doubled. ...the coin will eventually flip and it will be the brokers turn to close doors. We dont need them anyways.

Replied on Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM CST
+ 3 - 1
Quote: "There is good money in trucking if they would just stop being greedy"

I am an owner operator driving an old piece of junk - '07 Intl 9400 with 950,000 miles - fuel is 40 cents per mile - what the heck do you need over $2/mile for? Do you want to make over $100,000/yr profit doing 2000 miles/wk? (40 hr work week) Maybe you should go get a degree and an office job. I am a recovering dairy farmer - worked my ass off for nothing for years. Never had is so good as I do now. Power only at $1.70 to $1.80/mile loaded, doing 3000 miles or more per wk, farming on the side. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to drive a truck, so don't expect to be paid like one. Company drivers are lucky to get .60/mile. You telling me that the company (you as an owner operator) need $1/mile to pay insurance taxes etc and keep a truck on the road? If you don't like it (the pay), get out. If the brokers are getting so rich so fast sitting on their asses, why don't you dilute the pool of bad brokers, become a broker yourself and do a good job for us haulers? So many people complaining with their mouths full, or in this case, from their chromed out and LED adorned long nose Pete's with the 6" dual stacks etc. Some people have had it too good for too long, and now they think they deserve a free lunch. There is still a truck driver shortage last I heard. See signs all over looking for CDL drivers. If you can't make it on $2/mile maybe you should drive for someone else, seems your expenses are a little out of whack.

Replied on Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 04:11 PM CST
+ 3
Quote: "I am an owner operator driving an old piece of junk - '07 Intl 9400 with 950,000 miles - fuel is 40 cents per mile - what the heck do you need over $2/mile for? Do you want to make over $100,000/yr profit doing 2000 miles/wk? (40 hr work week) Maybe you should go get a degree and an office job. I am a recovering dairy farmer - worked my ass off for nothing for years. Never had is so good as I do now. Power only at $1.70 to $1.80/mile loaded, doing 3000 miles or more per wk, farming on the side. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to drive a truck, so don't expect to be paid like one. Company drivers are lucky to get .60/mile. You telling me that the company (you as an owner operator) need $1/mile to pay insurance taxes etc and keep a truck on the road? If you don't like it (the pay), get out. If the brokers are getting so rich so fast sitting on their asses, why don't you dilute the pool of bad brokers, become a broker yourself and do a good job for us haulers? So many people complaining with their mouths full, or in this case, from their chromed out and LED adorned long nose Pete's with the 6" dual stacks etc. Some people have had it too good for too long, and now they think they deserve a free lunch. There is still a truck driver shortage last I heard. See signs all over looking for CDL drivers. If you can't make it on $2/mile maybe you should drive for someone else, seems your expenses are a little out of whack."

Ralph, I suspect you are looking at your expenses on a very short term basis. You went broke farming?? Don't do the same thing trucking. If you choose to drive a pile of crap, that's your decision. I choose to be comfortable, I choose a quiet tall and warm sleeper that has no spiders or mice. I also choose a long nose pete because of resale value, as well as the fact that they are easy to work on, its merely the icing on a beautiful cake, that I get to look good going down the road.

Do you have a family?? Do you know how much it costs to raise kids? Insurance, braces, sports, groceries, a house? I wish you luck ralph running your business your way with your pile of a truck, your words not mine. I have respect for my family, myself and my customers. I choose to look good for my customers, the y choose to pay me rates that would make you think I have a "college degree ", because I'm never late, I do whatever they need at the drop of a hat with zero warning.

I went broke farming too, the difference between you and me, is that im NEVER going to go broke again. I really do wish you the best, but you are virtue signaling about your lack of greedyness and doing your best to shame those of us that do this as a professional career, and I have no time for that.
Replied on Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 04:11 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "Then how do company owners become millionaires with just a few trucks? "

Inheritance.
Replied on Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 04:11 PM CST
+ 2
Quote: "I am an owner operator driving an old piece of junk - '07 Intl 9400 with 950,000 miles - fuel is 40 cents per mile - what the heck do you need over $2/mile for? Do you want to make over $100,000/yr profit doing 2000 miles/wk? (40 hr work week) Maybe you should go get a degree and an office job. I am a recovering dairy farmer - worked my ass off for nothing for years. Never had is so good as I do now. Power only at $1.70 to $1.80/mile loaded, doing 3000 miles or more per wk, farming on the side. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to drive a truck, so don't expect to be paid like one. Company drivers are lucky to get .60/mile. You telling me that the company (you as an owner operator) need $1/mile to pay insurance taxes etc and keep a truck on the road? If you don't like it (the pay), get out. If the brokers are getting so rich so fast sitting on their asses, why don't you dilute the pool of bad brokers, become a broker yourself and do a good job for us haulers? So many people complaining with their mouths full, or in this case, from their chromed out and LED adorned long nose Pete's with the 6" dual stacks etc. Some people have had it too good for too long, and now they think they deserve a free lunch. There is still a truck driver shortage last I heard. See signs all over looking for CDL drivers. If you can't make it on $2/mile maybe you should drive for someone else, seems your expenses are a little out of whack."

Do you get your loads from a guy named Jimmy wells?
Replied on Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 07:46 AM CST
A good business man understands the market, it's pontential and it's limitations, so incuded below are some links to put stuff into perspective.

https://www.trucker.com/business/article/21746996/profit-margins-for-trucking-companies-on-the-rise#:~:text=Privately%20held%20general%20freight%20trucking,over%20the%20last%20six%20years.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/average-401k-return#:~:text=Many%20retirement%20planners%20suggest%20the,contributions%2C%20investment%20selection%20and%20fees.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/accounting/profit-margin/#:~:text=You%20may%20be%20asking%20yourself,a%205%25%20margin%20is%20low.
Replied on Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 07:48 AM CST
I dont think you understand the cost of an employee. Wage is just part of the pay. Wait till you have to pay for an overhaul
Replied on Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 09:05 AM CST
If you look at the data from ATRI, 2 bucks a mile is pretty much the break even point. Some folks may choose to get their info from beer hall BS experts, but I prefer to look at the same data that financial institutions and insurance companies see.
Replied on Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM CST
+ 1
Quote: "I am an owner operator driving an old piece of junk - '07 Intl 9400 with 950,000 miles - fuel is 40 cents per mile - what the heck do you need over $2/mile for? Do you want to make over $100,000/yr profit doing 2000 miles/wk? (40 hr work week) Maybe you should go get a degree and an office job. I am a recovering dairy farmer - worked my ass off for nothing for years. Never had is so good as I do now. Power only at $1.70 to $1.80/mile loaded, doing 3000 miles or more per wk, farming on the side. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to drive a truck, so don't expect to be paid like one. Company drivers are lucky to get .60/mile. You telling me that the company (you as an owner operator) need $1/mile to pay insurance taxes etc and keep a truck on the road? If you don't like it (the pay), get out. If the brokers are getting so rich so fast sitting on their asses, why don't you dilute the pool of bad brokers, become a broker yourself and do a good job for us haulers? So many people complaining with their mouths full, or in this case, from their chromed out and LED adorned long nose Pete's with the 6" dual stacks etc. Some people have had it too good for too long, and now they think they deserve a free lunch. There is still a truck driver shortage last I heard. See signs all over looking for CDL drivers. If you can't make it on $2/mile maybe you should drive for someone else, seems your expenses are a little out of whack."

Hey I beat you on a few things. I have an 06 9900 with 1.3 on it. Do I want to work for less than the guy with payments and the 2020 shiny truck? No I want to work for the same or more. This leaky old mouse house isn't worth anything so my plan is to just send it till it stops and then upgrade so I would like to save up for that moment NOT UNDERCUT my fellow coworkers [ which is all of you] .
Replied on Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM CST
Quote: "Do you get your loads from a guy named Jimmy wells? "

🤦‍♂️
Replied on Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM CST
Quote: "I am an owner operator driving an old piece of junk - '07 Intl 9400 with 950,000 miles - fuel is 40 cents per mile - what the heck do you need over $2/mile for? Do you want to make over $100,000/yr profit doing 2000 miles/wk? (40 hr work week) Maybe you should go get a degree and an office job. I am a recovering dairy farmer - worked my ass off for nothing for years. Never had is so good as I do now. Power only at $1.70 to $1.80/mile loaded, doing 3000 miles or more per wk, farming on the side. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to drive a truck, so don't expect to be paid like one. Company drivers are lucky to get .60/mile. You telling me that the company (you as an owner operator) need $1/mile to pay insurance taxes etc and keep a truck on the road? If you don't like it (the pay), get out. If the brokers are getting so rich so fast sitting on their asses, why don't you dilute the pool of bad brokers, become a broker yourself and do a good job for us haulers? So many people complaining with their mouths full, or in this case, from their chromed out and LED adorned long nose Pete's with the 6" dual stacks etc. Some people have had it too good for too long, and now they think they deserve a free lunch. There is still a truck driver shortage last I heard. See signs all over looking for CDL drivers. If you can't make it on $2/mile maybe you should drive for someone else, seems your expenses are a little out of whack."

Ralph, do you run a farm plate, farm insurance. Are you the one out there cutting rates? Listen farmer it's time you went back to farming oh you can't that's right you couldn't make it farming..
Replied on Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:21 AM CST
Quote: "Ralph, do you run a farm plate, farm insurance. Are you the one out there cutting rates? Listen farmer it's time you went back to farming oh you can't that's right you couldn't make it farming.."

I bet the list of failed "trucking companies" o/o's etc.rivels the list of farmers.

Replied on Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 09:38 AM CST
Quote: "I bet the list of failed "trucking companies" o/o's etc.rivels the list of farmers."

Well I see a lot of new immigrants that are now fleet owners, but I don’t see any that own thousands of acres of farmland, so?
Replied on Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 07:28 AM CST
- 2
Really how stupid of a comparisons. Land is 7 8 9 thousand and acre you can buy a cheap truck for 10000. Dave just move on to a new profession if you hate this one so bad
Replied on Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:12 PM CST
+ 2
Quote: "Really how stupid of a comparisons. Land is 7 8 9 thousand and acre you can buy a cheap truck for 10000. Dave just move on to a new profession if you hate this one so bad"

I think he was agreeing with you Eric.

I think both farming and trucking have hobby problems as dave has mentioned. I think its understandable to require an outside job to fund a carreer goal for a short while, but after a few years, what's the point. Personally, if I stuck my farm hobby money into a meaningful hobby.....id probably have 2 fully restored chevelles.67s.
Balanced and fuel injected396s.muncie rock crushers....posi 4.11s, wrinkle walled hoosiers, But no, I have an annoyed banker instead of a 9.98 second quarter mile time.
Replied on Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:12 PM CST
+ 1 - 1
Quote: "Really how stupid of a comparisons. Land is 7 8 9 thousand and acre you can buy a cheap truck for 10000. Dave just move on to a new profession if you hate this one so bad"

I don't know where you are pulling 7-9 grand an arce out of but that's not accurate. For $10,000, I could buy 5000 acres. Get outta here with that!

Replied on Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 01:12 PM CST
Quote: "Really how stupid of a comparisons. Land is 7 8 9 thousand and acre you can buy a cheap truck for 10000. Dave just move on to a new profession if you hate this one so bad"

The national average of an acre of farm land is $3,160

Replied on Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 10:07 PM CST
+ 1
Come to Minnesota or Iowa land is not 3000 an acre
Replied on Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 07:10 AM CST
Does this have anything to do, with why land in minnesota is above the national average? https://www.startribune.com/in-first-year-of-trade-bailout-to-farmers-minnesotans-were-the-no-3-recipients/512684832/
Replied on Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 08:14 AM CST
Yeah if you pay 3k or less an acre you probably end up with nuclear wasteland with stumps everywhere and rocks and land that would that would need over 100 ton of chicken manure per acre to make 200 bushels of corn per acre.
Replied on Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 09:00 AM CST
+ 3

I normally dont post on Forums. In fact I normally avoid them like the plague. Why go where everyone is complaining all the time right? But this one caught my eye.

It isn't the broker, or the customer, or the truck. The problem is communication. Most trucks have ZERO transparency with their broker and vice versa. Has anyone stopped to ask the broker what they are making? Have you bothered to ask what it takes to run a brokerage? Yes the broker makes $200-$250 on your load. Sometimes even more. The reason that the broker takes that is to keep the doors open. They manage more trucking relationships, accounting, and carrier setups than you can imagine. Something the customer obviously doesnt want to do themselves. Its stupid expensive to do so and managing the relationships with carriers is not easy. Think about your drivers and managing them for a 50 truck fleet. At times brokers are managing thousands of loads not just a mere 50 trucks. That requires manpower. Not just brokers but admin and back end staff just like your company but on a much larger scale. That comes at a pretty big cost. You get what you pay for and if you need it done right like we all do, then its expensive to keep good talent.

And they are a business just like yours. They didnt get in the business to break even. They did it to make money just like you. To get mad at them for making a profit is a little silly. I dont get mad at you for growing your business. Actually getting mad at them for rates is a little hard to swallow. They call day in and day out to get the customers. Did your sales team or you yourself call to the customer and foster that relationship over a year sometimes just to get your first load? Nope you posted your truck and waited for a broker to call you with work from one day to the next. No extra work to sit and wait for someone to call you with work? See it doesn't sound so great when you put it like that. If you dont like the rates the broker is giving you, NOTHING is preventing you from calling a customer (not back soliciting and there are tons of customers out there so you dont have do to things dirty) and making your own rates. And if that customer refers you to a broker it's because they don't want to deal with the carrier directly. Honestly a lot of them don't. It seems everyone is hungry but wants to gripe instead of getting off their butt and doing something about it. While we are talking about rates, you have a truck. You tell the broker what you need. The broker says nope I need to be here. You then say okay?!?! Why? If you leave money on the table that is your own lack of negotiation skills. Try spending some time taking a negotiation class (not being facetious that is actually a thing) instead of spending the time on here griping about rates. And it is okay to walk away from cheap freight. One of two things will happen. That freight will either get more money to pay the truck the right rate or the freight can sit. Your level of need dictates that. Don't be greedy but make sure you eat.

Here is an even better idea. HAVE A CANDID CONVERSATION WITH YOUR BROKER. We CANT do this job without you. You are the lifeblood of this country. This reply isn't meant to demean you. It is meant to wake you up. But that doesn't mean you have to beat them up every time either. Instead realize that they represent you. They only make money when they are using your truck and you the same. Let them find the loads for you but be flexible enough in your rate to help them lock it down for you. Have them be what they are meant to be which is a partner. If you work in tandem with your broker and have them help you find reloads and lanes that are profitable, I can gaurantee things will be okay.

I hope everyone takes something away from this reply. We really have to stop villifying each other. At this point the broken record is not being heard by anyone. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Maybe it is time to do something different.

Replied on Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 07:26 AM CST
+ 1
Steven, I'm covering my butt like always by saying its not all brokers. But a lack of communication is NOT the trucks fault if the load is being brokered 3 times before it gets to the truck. As far as a candid conversation? That hasn't worked and that's why they are considering bringing in government intervention, because if the trucker dares to ask what the broker is making, the trucker gets black listed....hurray for communication.

And by all means, please break down your expenses. Also break down your income for us. Transparency, right? Us truckers are always breaking down our expenses publicly because we have nothing to hide. Let's share the numbers.

In my opinion, shippers dont "need" you, especially in the age of technology, with bulkloads, communication is pretty easy between a shipper and a truck. In my opinion, the only "need" is reputation. Good brokers carry that and don't need to advertis.

My intention isn't to come off as a dick. We aren't just complaining, its a social aspect as well, to talk with our peers. Im not trying to be a broker basher, there are plenty of pricks in trucks too. But I'm sensing some more virtue signaling.....good luck Steven. Any relation to stephan king the writer????
Replied on Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 07:27 AM CST
+ 1
I guess to add to what I posted, its totally acceptable for Lowe's to charge me 250 bucks to deliver a new oven 80miles, but we are just "complaining " by thinking its a joke for a truck to get paid 250 bucks to move 1000 bushels 200 miles? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Replied on Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 07:28 AM CST
Quote: "I normally dont post on Forums. In fact I normally avoid them like the plague. Why go where everyone is complaining all the time right? But this one caught my eye. It isn't the broker, or the customer, or the truck. The problem is communication. Most trucks have ZERO transparency with their broker and vice versa. Has anyone stopped to ask the broker what they are making? Have you bothered to ask what it takes to run a brokerage? Yes the broker makes $200-$250 on your load. Sometimes even more. The reason that the broker takes that is to keep the doors open. They manage more trucking relationships, accounting, and carrier setups than you can imagine. Something the customer obviously doesnt want to do themselves. Its stupid expensive to do so and managing the relationships with carriers is not easy. Think about your drivers and managing them for a 50 truck fleet. At times brokers are managing thousands of loads not just a mere 50 trucks. That requires manpower. Not just brokers but admin and back end staff just like your company but on a much larger scale. That comes at a pretty big cost. You get what you pay for and if you need it done right like we all do, then its expensive to keep good talent. And they are a business just like yours. They didnt get in the business to break even. They did it to make money just like you. To get mad at them for making a profit is a little silly. I dont get mad at you for growing your business. Actually getting mad at them for rates is a little hard to swallow. They call day in and day out to get the customers. Did your sales team or you yourself call to the customer and foster that relationship over a year sometimes just to get your first load? Nope you posted your truck and waited for a broker to call you with work from one day to the next. No extra work to sit and wait for someone to call you with work? See it doesn't sound so great when you put it like that. If you dont like the rates the broker is giving you, NOTHING is preventing you from calling a customer (not back soliciting and there are tons of customers out there so you dont have do to things dirty) and making your own rates. And if that customer refers you to a broker it's because they don't want to deal with the carrier directly. Honestly a lot of them don't. It seems everyone is hungry but wants to gripe instead of getting off their butt and doing something about it. While we are talking about rates, you have a truck. You tell the broker what you need. The broker says nope I need to be here. You then say okay?!?! Why? If you leave money on the table that is your own lack of negotiation skills. Try spending some time taking a negotiation class (not being facetious that is actually a thing) instead of spending the time on here griping about rates. And it is okay to walk away from cheap freight. One of two things will happen. That freight will either get more money to pay the truck the right rate or the freight can sit. Your level of need dictates that. Don't be greedy but make sure you eat. Here is an even better idea. HAVE A CANDID CONVERSATION WITH YOUR BROKER. We CANT do this job without you. You are the lifeblood of this country. This reply isn't meant to demean you. It is meant to wake you up. But that doesn't mean you have to beat them up every time either. Instead realize that they represent you. They only make money when they are using your truck and you the same. Let them find the loads for you but be flexible enough in your rate to help them lock it down for you. Have them be what they are meant to be which is a partner. If you work in tandem with your broker and have them help you find reloads and lanes that are profitable, I can gaurantee things will be okay. I hope everyone takes something away from this reply. We really have to stop villifying each other. At this point the broken record is not being heard by anyone. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Maybe it is time to do something different. "

You are right in what you said. I am also involved in farming and have bought and sold farm land. It seems that a lot of people on here like always wine about how a broker got the best of them. maybe the broker did but I would challenge that they let themselves be taken advantage of. I really have no control of what CHS, CARGIL, OR ADM OR the supermarket are going to make for a profit off the grain I sell off my farm. But what I DO have control of is how I conduct my business, expenses, staff, management, accounting profesionals, maintenance, relationships, family, church, education, looking in the mirror at least once per day, being able to give a banker a legit balance sheet even if it is good or bad as long as the numbers are real. What bothers me the most i think is the amount of money this country puts into public education and this country still has a huge surplus of absolute idiots. I really don't know how Kevin Rutherford can even handle doing his job sometimes with some of the morons that will call into his show. I played sports when I was young and I think I was probably taught how to work with others maybe more and respect peoples weaknesses and praise other people for their extra talents more. I was also an eagle scout. ONCE A SCOUT ALWAYS A SCOUT. and i would like to think it taught me as to when things don't always go right, should i blame others or should I ask myself what should I have done different or what should I be responsible for changing.
Replied on Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 06:08 PM CST
Quote: "I normally dont post on Forums. In fact I normally avoid them like the plague. Why go where everyone is complaining all the time right? But this one caught my eye. It isn't the broker, or the customer, or the truck. The problem is communication. Most trucks have ZERO transparency with their broker and vice versa. Has anyone stopped to ask the broker what they are making? Have you bothered to ask what it takes to run a brokerage? Yes the broker makes $200-$250 on your load. Sometimes even more. The reason that the broker takes that is to keep the doors open. They manage more trucking relationships, accounting, and carrier setups than you can imagine. Something the customer obviously doesnt want to do themselves. Its stupid expensive to do so and managing the relationships with carriers is not easy. Think about your drivers and managing them for a 50 truck fleet. At times brokers are managing thousands of loads not just a mere 50 trucks. That requires manpower. Not just brokers but admin and back end staff just like your company but on a much larger scale. That comes at a pretty big cost. You get what you pay for and if you need it done right like we all do, then its expensive to keep good talent. And they are a business just like yours. They didnt get in the business to break even. They did it to make money just like you. To get mad at them for making a profit is a little silly. I dont get mad at you for growing your business. Actually getting mad at them for rates is a little hard to swallow. They call day in and day out to get the customers. Did your sales team or you yourself call to the customer and foster that relationship over a year sometimes just to get your first load? Nope you posted your truck and waited for a broker to call you with work from one day to the next. No extra work to sit and wait for someone to call you with work? See it doesn't sound so great when you put it like that. If you dont like the rates the broker is giving you, NOTHING is preventing you from calling a customer (not back soliciting and there are tons of customers out there so you dont have do to things dirty) and making your own rates. And if that customer refers you to a broker it's because they don't want to deal with the carrier directly. Honestly a lot of them don't. It seems everyone is hungry but wants to gripe instead of getting off their butt and doing something about it. While we are talking about rates, you have a truck. You tell the broker what you need. The broker says nope I need to be here. You then say okay?!?! Why? If you leave money on the table that is your own lack of negotiation skills. Try spending some time taking a negotiation class (not being facetious that is actually a thing) instead of spending the time on here griping about rates. And it is okay to walk away from cheap freight. One of two things will happen. That freight will either get more money to pay the truck the right rate or the freight can sit. Your level of need dictates that. Don't be greedy but make sure you eat. Here is an even better idea. HAVE A CANDID CONVERSATION WITH YOUR BROKER. We CANT do this job without you. You are the lifeblood of this country. This reply isn't meant to demean you. It is meant to wake you up. But that doesn't mean you have to beat them up every time either. Instead realize that they represent you. They only make money when they are using your truck and you the same. Let them find the loads for you but be flexible enough in your rate to help them lock it down for you. Have them be what they are meant to be which is a partner. If you work in tandem with your broker and have them help you find reloads and lanes that are profitable, I can gaurantee things will be okay. I hope everyone takes something away from this reply. We really have to stop villifying each other. At this point the broken record is not being heard by anyone. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Maybe it is time to do something different. "

This story seems to conflict with your opinion about how nobody is listening to the broke record. https://cdllife.com/2020/truckers-blast-freight-brokers-in-comments-to-fmcsa/