Home > Forum > Are Cornhusker Trailers Really That Bad?

Are cornhusker trailers really that bad?

Dec 27, 2017 at 04:55 PM CST
+ 1
We've been diehard Timpte owners the past 20 years & anymore I'm not all that impressed with there build quality & would like to try a different make of trailer. I would like a w ilson but am strongly considering a cornhusker for the weight savings. I currently have a 50' spread axle Timpte with 84" sides & would like to get either a Wilson or cornhusker spec'd the same, all I do is highway stuff from terminal to terminal, no farm loads
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 06:41 PM CST
We have both Cornhusker and Timpte. Every driver we have has preferred pulling a Cornhusker after pulling one for the first time. on the down side cornhusker is a much more expensive trailer to buy but the saying is you get what you pay for.
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 07:12 PM CST
I use to run timpte but had a lot of problems with sub frames and trap doors. I pull huskers now. very few problems and great people to work with. I would never buy another recycled timpte after having a husker. my opinion
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 07:15 PM CST
- 1
As much as I would like a new cornhusker I've been thinking about buying a used one first to see if I'd like it or not. Ive been looking at a 2005 one owner trailer that has super low miles & hasn't been pulled much the last year & it's in really good shape with no cracks anywhere. I would like to stick with a spread axle but does anybody know how much more a triple axle weighs over a spread? To me the extra axle isn't worth it just to gain gross out another 3500lbs
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 07:18 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "I use to run timpte but had a lot of problems with sub frames and trap doors. I pull huskers now. very few problems and great people to work with. I would never buy another recycled timpte after having a husker. my opinion"

Replacing rotted out cross members is my biggest complaint about the last few timptes we've had along a pile of other issues.
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 07:32 PM CST
I would say the triple might weight 1200-1500 more depending on tires and if you put a lift on the axle
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 07:50 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "I would say the triple might weight 1200-1500 more depending on tires and if you put a lift on the axle"

Yeah I was guessing around 1,500lbs too. It would be nice to haul another 2,000lbs, just not sure if it's worth dragging another axle around.
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 07:55 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "Yeah I was guessing around 1,500lbs too. It would be nice to haul another 2,000lbs, just not sure if it's worth dragging another axle around."

with the fuel mileage you will lose and the current rates I would say not worth it
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:02 PM CST
We used to run triple axles but right now all we have are spreads, in my opinion a spread is still the best bang for your buck
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:08 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "We used to run triple axles but right now all we have are spreads, in my opinion a spread is still the best bang for your buck"

I had a 48 ft spread with duals weighed 9200 pounds. sold that for a 51 ft triple with singles weight 10600. now have a 42 ft tandem
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:21 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "I had a 48 ft spread with duals weighed 9200 pounds. sold that for a 51 ft triple with singles weight 10600. now have a 42 ft tandem"

Thanks for the info. I've wondered about putting super singles on a spread to make it even lighter but don't know how the tires would wear.
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:30 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "Thanks for the info. I've wondered about putting super singles on a spread to make it even lighter but don't know how the tires would wear."

my dad had singles on a spread and 2 blew out. Michelin said singles are not ment for the weight and flexing of the side wall. that's why the blew out. I wouldn't run singles on a spread.
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:34 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "my dad had singles on a spread and 2 blew out. Michelin said singles are not ment for the weight and flexing of the side wall. that's why the blew out. I wouldn't run singles on a spread."

I've seen a few spreads around with singles but not to many, I've always wondered how well or not so well they worked
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:44 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "I've seen a few spreads around with singles but not to many, I've always wondered how well or not so well they worked"

I would avoid singles on a spread
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:48 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "I would avoid singles on a spread"

??
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:49 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "??"

Sorry about that, damn phone. Yeah I don't think singles on a spread is a good idea either.
Replied on Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 11:15 PM CST
The last cornhusker i had was a new 50'x96'79 spread axle i ran mostly all hiways i came up to a stop sign and turn the corner i head a pop so i pulled over didnt see nothing got down the road about 4 miles were i unloaded and when got there to unload i looked again broke the supension on the front axle. thats the first one ive ever broke. had to chain it up and take it to lincoln.
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 10:32 AM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: JODY SHELLITO
Quote: "The last cornhusker i had was a new 50'x96'79 spread axle i ran mostly all hiways i came up to a stop sign and turn the corner i head a pop so i pulled over didnt see nothing got down the road about 4 miles were i unloaded and when got there to unload i looked again broke the supension on the front axle. thats the first one ive ever broke. had to chain it up and take it to lincoln. "

every timpte I had whether tandem or triple had new sub frame rail put underneath of it 2 -3 years after it was new because of cracking. then timpte could see you did something wrong so the trailer wasn't under warranty
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 05:46 PM CST
Up to this point all of our trailers have had steel subframes, the frint cross member broke & the back hopper split open on my triple axle & on 2 of my spread axles the cross member right behind the front axle rusts from the inside out in no time & needed to be replaced
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 07:21 PM CST
I had a 2014 Cornhusker 51' 102" 84" 10'2" spread, I had dumps on both axles, was a good trailer I bought it new and never had a problem with it. I just sold it 1st of December because of the rates
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 07:33 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CLARENCE DRESSEL
Quote: "I had a 2014 Cornhusker 51' 102" 84" 10'2" spread, I had dumps on both axles, was a good trailer I bought it new and never had a problem with it. I just sold it 1st of December because of the rates"

Do you have a rough idea what it weighed? All I haul is fertilizer & feed products, wouldn't haul another load of grain if my life depended on it.
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 07:45 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "Do you have a rough idea what it weighed? All I haul is fertilizer & feed products, wouldn't haul another load of grain if my life depended on it."

About 10500 lbs, with 2000 Peterbilt 379 full of fuel I weighed 31000 lbs
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 07:47 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CLARENCE DRESSEL
Quote: "About 10500 lbs, with 2000 Peterbilt 379 full of fuel I weighed 31000 lbs"

It had front axle lift duel lp 24.5 tires and full skin kit
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 07:57 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CLARENCE DRESSEL
Quote: "It had front axle lift duel lp 24.5 tires and full skin kit"

Ok thanks for the info. A local guy has a 2005 50' spread axle with 80" sides & he rarely pulls it. He bought it brand new & there are no cracks on it anywhere. He hasn't pulled it in over a year so I was going to see if he wants to part with it. Just not sure what it's worth because I know it needs a tarp & will most likely need tires too.
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 08:03 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "Ok thanks for the info. A local guy has a 2005 50' spread axle with 80" sides & he rarely pulls it. He bought it brand new & there are no cracks on it anywhere. He hasn't pulled it in over a year so I was going to see if he wants to part with it. Just not sure what it's worth because I know it needs a tarp & will most likely need tires too."

I sold mine for $36000 with 50% tires, brakes were @ 90%, tarp was a year old, new it was $56000. Hopefully that gives you an idea on what to pay for one
Replied on Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 08:22 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CLARENCE DRESSEL
Quote: "I sold mine for $36000 with 50% tires, brakes were @ 90%, tarp was a year old, new it was $56000. Hopefully that gives you an idea on what to pay for one"

Well there's an '07 50' with 80" sides, spread axle with electric tarp & vibrators on truck paper for $21,000. So if I'd use that for a baseline and since the trailer I'm looking at doesn't have a power tarp, needs a new tarp & tires I was thinking of offering him $15,000 & go from there if he's not to offended by my offer
Replied on Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 11:55 PM CST
We have both spread axle huskers and tri-axle huskers. Reading your posts above sounds like you run strictly the states and more so down south? Are spread axles were originally tri-axles; we removed middle axle and have lifts on the rear axles. We also run Canada and they do not recognize spread axles, long story short if you dont run Canada, spread axle is the way to go but if you do both you have to run a tri. Are tri-axles are dual dual single, there really not much heavier then a spread, id say 1000 maybe at most 1500 lbs if you single the rear axle. We like cornhuskers and have been running them since the 90's
Replied on Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 08:37 AM CST
Originally Posted by: MITCH LACHER
Quote: "We have both spread axle huskers and tri-axle huskers. Reading your posts above sounds like you run strictly the states and more so down south? Are spread axles were originally tri-axles; we removed middle axle and have lifts on the rear axles. We also run Canada and they do not recognize spread axles, long story short if you dont run Canada, spread axle is the way to go but if you do both you have to run a tri. Are tri-axles are dual dual single, there really not much heavier then a spread, id say 1000 maybe at most 1500 lbs if you single the rear axle. We like cornhuskers and have been running them since the 90's"

I only haul in the state of South Dakota. When you can put 40,000 on a spread & 43,500 on a triple & if it would weigh 1,500 more I just can't decide if dragging an extra axle around is worth hauling 1 more ton of product.
Replied on Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 03:39 PM CST
So you get the same gross on 6 or 7 axles? Or 5?
I pull both Timpte and Cornhuskers. Both 50's tandem with a tag. We get 44000 back there. With my Pete w/pusher I can load 33 ton and change either trailer. About 460 lbs difference.
u
Replied on Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 11:44 PM CST
No, gross weight depends on your axle count. Just because you can gross it doesnt mean you can inner bridge it. First thing all the western states check is your inner bridge, usually if you are good there they will move on to your overall gross and indivdual axle sets. Are spread axles vs are tri-axles when it comes to product loaded is very close but we cant go to Canada with a spread so there is that issue and thats why we prefer tri-axles, there more versatile for are application.
Replied on Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 07:24 AM CST
we have 40 cornhuskers. 10 spreads & th 24 closed tandems & 3 new merrits & 1 timpte. I think its personal choice. I think there all good trailers. The cornhuskers are definitely lighter . Im not a big fan of the spreads just because of extra tire wear. Even with hat being said we just ordered another new CH spread. Again, I think its all personal & what works for you.
Replied on Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 07:25 AM CST
I was off on my count a little. LOL. 36 CH, 3 merrits, & a timpte
Replied on Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 11:06 AM CST
I’ve got a 2007 Smooth sided cornhusker spread I was thinking about selling if you’re interested.
Replied on Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 09:17 PM CST
Originally Posted by: KURT DAVIS
Quote: "So you get the same gross on 6 or 7 axles? Or 5? I pull both Timpte and Cornhuskers. Both 50's tandem with a tag. We get 44000 back there. With my Pete w/pusher I can load 33 ton and change either trailer. About 460 lbs difference. u"

So there's only 460lbs between a timpte & a cornhusker?
Replied on Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 10:43 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "So there's only 460lbs between a timpte & a cornhusker?"

I'd call BS on the 460lbs. call a timpte dealer and husker dealer and compare yourself. timpte is all steel. huskers are aluminum
Replied on Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 10:46 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "I'd call BS on the 460lbs. call a timpte dealer and husker dealer and compare yourself. timpte is all steel. huskers are aluminum"

That's what I was thinking too. I know you can get the aluminum subframe on Timptes too but only on tandems I thought. I can't believe they're that close on weights
Replied on Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 10:56 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "That's what I was thinking too. I know you can get the aluminum subframe on Timptes too but only on tandems I thought. I can't believe they're that close on weights"

no timpte I ever had would come close to a husker weight.
Replied on Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 11:16 PM CST
timpte is putting now aluminum sub-fram on triple axles now. When i was looking for a new trailer i spec out both new timpte and cornhusker 42x96x78 timpte and 42x96x79 1/2 cornhusker. I had all the light weight option i could get auminum subfram center fused drumes and aluminum coupler. The timpte was 8400lb with smooth side and the cornhusker was 8100 lb not smooth sided but when i added the smooth sided on there it was heaiver than the timpte about 100lb more and the cost was more than the timpte becauce of smooth sides. So when you come pair the 2 trailers make sure you come pair apples to apples cause i thought to cornhusker was the lightest out there and i was wrong.
Replied on Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:37 AM CST
Originally Posted by: JODY SHELLITO
Quote: "timpte is putting now aluminum sub-fram on triple axles now. When i was looking for a new trailer i spec out both new timpte and cornhusker 42x96x78 timpte and 42x96x79 1/2 cornhusker. I had all the light weight option i could get auminum subfram center fused drumes and aluminum coupler. The timpte was 8400lb with smooth side and the cornhusker was 8100 lb not smooth sided but when i added the smooth sided on there it was heaiver than the timpte about 100lb more and the cost was more than the timpte becauce of smooth sides. So when you come pair the 2 trailers make sure you come pair apples to apples cause i thought to cornhusker was the lightest out there and i was wrong. "

and your timpte will never hold up like a cornhuskers will. you will get more on trade in with a cornhuskers. timpte is a farm trailer. use a few months a year
Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM CST
So I went & weighed my spread axle Timpte today, 11,340lbs. Definitely time to start looking for an all aluminum trailer, a triple axle cornhusker would be 500lbs lighter
Replied on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:22 PM CST
Hey ur 07 spread u r thanking of selling call me 5805966295
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:22 PM CST
You can’t be serious! I pull DDG’s 1100 miles to Utah every week in my 2015 Timpte. The other guy on this run has a 2015 Husker. Mine has never been touched, and his is welds from one end to the other. My trap doors are twice the size of his. I unload in 10 minutes, then we POUND on his for 45 minutes! I wouldn’t trade trlrs with him for anything, unless “corn” was all I hauled.
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 06:16 PM CST
- 1
Originally Posted by: LARRY PUNT
Quote: "You can’t be serious! I pull DDG’s 1100 miles to Utah every week in my 2015 Timpte. The other guy on this run has a 2015 Husker. Mine has never been touched, and his is welds from one end to the other. My trap doors are twice the size of his. I unload in 10 minutes, then we POUND on his for 45 minutes! I wouldn’t trade trlrs with him for anything, unless “corn” was all I hauled."

he obviously didn't order the trailer with the big trap doors. I've had timpte and huskers and never had problems with having a husker welded. timpte is no thing but a problem trailer. replace the sub frame rails and trap doors every 2 years and timpte always has an excuse as to why it's not under warranty. I've hauled ddg with 30x40 traps and never had to beat on my trailer.
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 06:25 PM CST
Originally Posted by: LARRY PUNT
Quote: "You can’t be serious! I pull DDG’s 1100 miles to Utah every week in my 2015 Timpte. The other guy on this run has a 2015 Husker. Mine has never been touched, and his is welds from one end to the other. My trap doors are twice the size of his. I unload in 10 minutes, then we POUND on his for 45 minutes! I wouldn’t trade trlrs with him for anything, unless “corn” was all I hauled."

and if you have ever hauled ddg you also know that big doors are a must. if the husker has the small doors the ddg will obviously not flow and will need to be beat out of the trailer
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 06:36 PM CST
Originally Posted by: LARRY PUNT
Quote: "You can’t be serious! I pull DDG’s 1100 miles to Utah every week in my 2015 Timpte. The other guy on this run has a 2015 Husker. Mine has never been touched, and his is welds from one end to the other. My trap doors are twice the size of his. I unload in 10 minutes, then we POUND on his for 45 minutes! I wouldn’t trade trlrs with him for anything, unless “corn” was all I hauled."

WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THAT? IS IT BECAUSE THE PITCH ON THE SLOPES OF THE HOPPERS ARE DIFFERENT? I HAULED DDG IN A WILSON A FEW YEARS AGO AND DID NOT HAVE MUCH TROUBLE. AS FOR WEIGHT I DON'T THINK THERE IS MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HUSKER, WILSON, OR TIMPTE IF THEY ARE SPECD WITH ALL THE SAME OPTIONS. I DO LIKE THE WILSON BELTS OPENERS EASY TO OPEN WHEN HAULING FERTILIZER. NOT SURE IF HUSKER OFFERS THEM.
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 06:52 PM CST
Originally Posted by: CHRISTOPHER STIER
Quote: "WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THAT? IS IT BECAUSE THE PITCH ON THE SLOPES OF THE HOPPERS ARE DIFFERENT? I HAULED DDG IN A WILSON A FEW YEARS AGO AND DID NOT HAVE MUCH TROUBLE. AS FOR WEIGHT I DON'T THINK THERE IS MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HUSKER, WILSON, OR TIMPTE IF THEY ARE SPECD WITH ALL THE SAME OPTIONS. I DO LIKE THE WILSON BELTS OPENERS EASY TO OPEN WHEN HAULING FERTILIZER. NOT SURE IF HUSKER OFFERS THEM."

when hauling feed you want big trap doors. slope pitch does help but of you need to be able to get the product to flow. hense big doors
Replied on Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 06:55 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: CHRISTOPHER STIER
Quote: "WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THAT? IS IT BECAUSE THE PITCH ON THE SLOPES OF THE HOPPERS ARE DIFFERENT? I HAULED DDG IN A WILSON A FEW YEARS AGO AND DID NOT HAVE MUCH TROUBLE. AS FOR WEIGHT I DON'T THINK THERE IS MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HUSKER, WILSON, OR TIMPTE IF THEY ARE SPECD WITH ALL THE SAME OPTIONS. I DO LIKE THE WILSON BELTS OPENERS EASY TO OPEN WHEN HAULING FERTILIZER. NOT SURE IF HUSKER OFFERS THEM."

I have never liked the belt operated doors on a Wilson, better Cary a come a long in the truck. I've said before that Timpte won't build me what I want & I'm tired of fixing the timptes we have so getting another Timpte back is not an option. It's either going to be a husker or an all aluminum Wilson.
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 02:32 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "he obviously didn't order the trailer with the big trap doors. I've had timpte and huskers and never had problems with having a husker welded. timpte is no thing but a problem trailer. replace the sub frame rails and trap doors every 2 years and timpte always has an excuse as to why it's not under warranty. I've hauled ddg with 30x40 traps and never had to beat on my trailer."

Interesting comments Dan
I bought a new Timpte 6 years ago and haven't had any stucture problems. Still have on the original tarp. Only on my 2nd set of brakes. I haul for hire and have hauled many loads out of the fields. Alot of twisting and turning loaded heavy. Colorado has the 97000 overweight permit and thats how I run daily. I also have a 1973 Timpte 10-holer which you may or may not even know what one is. It has and still will haul some very heavy loads if you choose to fill it full. It was equipped with air ride suspension since brand new and this trailer, to this day has never been welded on. Alot of iron and is very heavy compared to todays trailers. But has definately proven its reliability. Show me a Cornhusker with that history??

Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 04:28 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DELBERT DIETZ
Quote: "Interesting comments Dan I bought a new Timpte 6 years ago and haven't had any stucture problems. Still have on the original tarp. Only on my 2nd set of brakes. I haul for hire and have hauled many loads out of the fields. Alot of twisting and turning loaded heavy. Colorado has the 97000 overweight permit and thats how I run daily. I also have a 1973 Timpte 10-holer which you may or may not even know what one is. It has and still will haul some very heavy loads if you choose to fill it full. It was equipped with air ride suspension since brand new and this trailer, to this day has never been welded on. Alot of iron and is very heavy compared to todays trailers. But has definately proven its reliability. Show me a Cornhusker with that history?? "

Good for you Delbert there are many timpte trailers that run in the area I do and many have been in the shop for sub frame work. I've had tandem spread and tri axle timpte's and everyone had problems with sub frames breaking and cracking up. I have pulled merrits and huskers too and never had the problems with them other makes like I did with a timpte. if your timpte is holding up for you that's great I'm happy for you. you act like im the only person one this comment feed that doesn't like timpte.
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 06:13 PM CST
why are so many huskers i see welded on th back rail on the left side just off center?
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 06:19 PM CST
Originally Posted by: BRUCE BILLMEIER
Quote: "why are so many huskers i see welded on th back rail on the left side just off center?"

I couldn't tell you. I've never had to weld on any husker I've ever had. why are so many timpte's having coupler and sub frames cracking?
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:41 PM CST
- 1
I'm by no means saying that cornhusker or Wilson are the best trailers ever, all I know is we've had to fix every Timpte we've ever had whether it be cross members rusting out, cracking, the dog bone in hopper breaking, the rear hopper splitting open. If I'm going to be spending money on a new trailer I'd rather it be light weight & built the way I want & not heavy & built only one way. I don't know if Timpte just sits back & waits for other manufactures to work the bugs out of the trailers or what but they are not innovators in the trailer industry.
Replied on Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:53 PM CST
+ 1
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "I'm by no means saying that cornhusker or Wilson are the best trailers ever, all I know is we've had to fix every Timpte we've ever had whether it be cross members rusting out, cracking, the dog bone in hopper breaking, the rear hopper splitting open. If I'm going to be spending money on a new trailer I'd rather it be light weight & built the way I want & not heavy & built only one way. I don't know if Timpte just sits back & waits for other manufactures to work the bugs out of the trailers or what but they are not innovators in the trailer industry."

timpte builds what they want and expect you to buy it. the timpte sales rep has told many people in my area he could give a hell of a deal on a 40x66x96. . . a farm trailer. That's all timpte wants to build. easy trailers to sell. husker has worked with me on any trailer I have ordered to build the way I want. yes husker has had problems but they will stand behind the problem unlike timpte. I don't care about what the history is on timpte. they are heavy trailers and not built like they use to be
Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 07:49 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "timpte builds what they want and expect you to buy it. the timpte sales rep has told many people in my area he could give a hell of a deal on a 40x66x96. . . a farm trailer. That's all timpte wants to build. easy trailers to sell. husker has worked with me on any trailer I have ordered to build the way I want. yes husker has had problems but they will stand behind the problem unlike timpte. I don't care about what the history is on timpte. they are heavy trailers and not built like they use to be"

Timpte will built you a trailer to meet the specs you want. Just a matter of getting a good sales rep. They have any and all options that the other trailer companys have. If you look at their advertising in Truckpaper you will see that. I am not interested in bashing the other companies. As I have no personal experience other than Timptes.
Dan I cannot comment on tri-axles and spreads. I only pull closed tandems.
Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 08:54 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DELBERT DIETZ
Quote: "Timpte will built you a trailer to meet the specs you want. Just a matter of getting a good sales rep. They have any and all options that the other trailer companys have. If you look at their advertising in Truckpaper you will see that. I am not interested in bashing the other companies. As I have no personal experience other than Timptes. Dan I cannot comment on tri-axles and spreads. I only pull closed tandems."

No they won't. I called Timpte & said I wanted a 50' spread axle with aluminum subframe with a front axle lift & all they said was no no no no no. I called Wilson & they said we can build that & they emailed me a quote 15 minutes later. I'm not trying to bash Timpte I'm just stating the truth.
Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:21 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "No they won't. I called Timpte & said I wanted a 50' spread axle with aluminum subframe with a front axle lift & all they said was no no no no no. I called Wilson & they said we can build that & they emailed me a quote 15 minutes later. I'm not trying to bash Timpte I'm just stating the truth."

all I can say is I'm not the only person who has experienced timpte as it's finest. I haven't had much luck with timpte but as for husker I'll buy any day. take it for what you want.
Replied on Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:27 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DELBERT DIETZ
Quote: "Interesting comments Dan I bought a new Timpte 6 years ago and haven't had any stucture problems. Still have on the original tarp. Only on my 2nd set of brakes. I haul for hire and have hauled many loads out of the fields. Alot of twisting and turning loaded heavy. Colorado has the 97000 overweight permit and thats how I run daily. I also have a 1973 Timpte 10-holer which you may or may not even know what one is. It has and still will haul some very heavy loads if you choose to fill it full. It was equipped with air ride suspension since brand new and this trailer, to this day has never been welded on. Alot of iron and is very heavy compared to todays trailers. But has definately proven its reliability. Show me a Cornhusker with that history?? "

so Delbert you are saying Colorado is letting you haul 97000 with 5 axle? Minnesota let's us go 10% over in the winter at a max of 99000 with 7 axles. at 5 axle we can go 88000 and timpte trailers can't hold up
Replied on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 09:53 AM CST
What about Jet trailers. I never see anybody talk about them. They are also making ll aluminum trailers now. Does anybodt have any jets on here ?
Replied on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 06:54 PM CST
Originally Posted by: J.R. ROBERTS
Quote: "What about Jet trailers. I never see anybody talk about them. They are also making ll aluminum trailers now. Does anybodt have any jets on here ?"

A farmer friend of mine has one & likes it, he says he really likes the rounded hoppers especially when hauling distillers. Other than that I don't know much about them
Replied on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:03 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DAN EISCHENS
Quote: "so Delbert you are saying Colorado is letting you haul 97000 with 5 axle? Minnesota let's us go 10% over in the winter at a max of 99000 with 7 axles. at 5 axle we can go 88000 and timpte trailers can't hold up"

Yes you can buy the 97000 permit and run 5 axles. $500 annual fee.
Replied on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:20 PM CST
Originally Posted by: DELBERT DIETZ
Quote: "Yes you can buy the 97000 permit and run 5 axles. $500 annual fee. "

How much are you carrying per axle?
Replied on Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 09:26 AM CST
I have a 2014 timptie 78x102x50ft tri I want to get rid of and Wilson 78x102x53 all aluminum sub and fifth wheel super singles true triple both nice hoppers ready to go 515-269-9028
Replied on Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 09:50 PM CST
Originally Posted by: A.J. KANNEGIETER
Quote: "How much are you carrying per axle?"

About 11,000 on steer and about 21,500 per axle on the tandems

Replied on Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 09:45 PM CST

I run an all aluminum Wilson tandem, 45x72x96, four vibrators, electric tarp, and super singles. Had Cornhusker quote the same trailer spec, and it weighed in 300 pounds less, for $3500 more. My trailer weighs 8700 lbs. Those are the only two brands I have found that will make a 45' tandem. The extra two feet gives me tthe interior bridge along with a pusher on my truck to gross 88500.

Replied on Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 09:58 AM CST
I pull a Wilson spread axle trailer, never owned a Cornhusker trailer but had a buddy who pulled a quad one and he liked it.
Replied on Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 07:41 AM CST

Tired of my Timptee have 089 adn 09 tripple ax frams is all cracked on both 5k to fix, get a willson do your self a favor

Replied on Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 06:25 PM CST
Timpte the only way to go. Anythng else is junk.